2011-2012 Tulane

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hookem7

Re: 2011-2012 Tulane

Postby hookem7 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:53 pm

In via email yesterday, eagerly awaiting the scholarship info in the mail

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:22 am

My file has been complete for a while now. I got my app in pretty early, but still haven't heard anything.

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:39 am

unicorny wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:While the overwhelming majority of students stay within 1 mile of campus, I stay 3.5 miles away (in the Mid-city part of New Orleans) and commute to school each day. I have a parking pass ($560 for the year, unfortunately) which allows me to park at Tulane's parking garage. The garage is never completely full, so I've always found a spot there.

I stay in a apartment complex, which is rare for someone in New Orleans because there are not that many of them. Because they are so rare, they cost more than you would think they would. A one bedroom apartment in the Uptown, Central Business District, and Mid City area of New Orleans would have a market rate of $900-$1,400 (While I'm unsure of the rates for duplexes and apartments in homes, I'm certain they probably cost about the same).

SIDE NOTE: I would suggest against staying outside of the Mid City/Uptown area as commuting longer distances can be horrible (especially if you have to get on the interstate).

Yikes. I knew some people who lived in Mid-City, and while Mid-City is fun (Brocato's! Parkway!) that's sort of a bitch to drive each day. FYI, apartmentsharing is a great way to go around Tulane. Most of my friends lived in decent 2BR places for 500-650/person, especially if farther away. There's definitely some 1BRs around campus (in bike range) that run 600+ as well. Apartments in houses are definitely most common around campus. There's very, very few apartment buildings around campus.

To me, Mid-City is far and I would not call it fun. People stay in the Marigny/Bywater, CBD, and (Lower) Garden District too.

If you stay too close to Tulane, be prepared for undergrads. I would recommend keeping some distance and biking.

I like Mid-City… the best coffee shops are there and there are some good bars (at least better than the Bruno's - Boot - Rocco's black hole. But if you're in to trying to hook up with college freshman and high schoolers, closer to campus is "fun").

Bayou Beer Garden, Banks St. Bar and Grill, and Rock and Bowl are Mid-City and are all a lot of fun (and more age appropriate).

That being said, being closer to campus is super convenient. I'm about 1/2 mile west of campus this year…. I think next semester I'm going to look east of campus near the Freret neighborhood. You can still be close to campus and are closer to the CBD and LGD which are probably a lot cooler than the Tulane area or Mid-City.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:04 am

Still nothing. Do you think that updating my UG transcript will cause me to wait even longer?

Will it take away from scholarship money - although now I'm just hoping for acceptances?

New LSDAS will be about 3.7 and I'll actually have something to put on my resume with the new internship I'm taking (yay!)

unicorny

Postby unicorny » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:06 am

buchy2009 wrote:
unicorny wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:While the overwhelming majority of students stay within 1 mile of campus, I stay 3.5 miles away (in the Mid-city part of New Orleans) and commute to school each day. I have a parking pass ($560 for the year, unfortunately) which allows me to park at Tulane's parking garage. The garage is never completely full, so I've always found a spot there.

I stay in a apartment complex, which is rare for someone in New Orleans because there are not that many of them. Because they are so rare, they cost more than you would think they would. A one bedroom apartment in the Uptown, Central Business District, and Mid City area of New Orleans would have a market rate of $900-$1,400 (While I'm unsure of the rates for duplexes and apartments in homes, I'm certain they probably cost about the same).

SIDE NOTE: I would suggest against staying outside of the Mid City/Uptown area as commuting longer distances can be horrible (especially if you have to get on the interstate).

Yikes. I knew some people who lived in Mid-City, and while Mid-City is fun (Brocato's! Parkway!) that's sort of a bitch to drive each day. FYI, apartmentsharing is a great way to go around Tulane. Most of my friends lived in decent 2BR places for 500-650/person, especially if farther away. There's definitely some 1BRs around campus (in bike range) that run 600+ as well. Apartments in houses are definitely most common around campus. There's very, very few apartment buildings around campus.

To me, Mid-City is far and I would not call it fun. People stay in the Marigny/Bywater, CBD, and (Lower) Garden District too.

If you stay too close to Tulane, be prepared for undergrads. I would recommend keeping some distance and biking.

I like Mid-City… the best coffee shops are there and there are some good bars (at least better than the Bruno's - Boot - Rocco's black hole. But if you're in to trying to hook up with college freshman and high schoolers, closer to campus is "fun").

Bayou Beer Garden, Banks St. Bar and Grill, and Rock and Bowl are Mid-City and are all a lot of fun (and more age appropriate).

That being said, being closer to campus is super convenient. I'm about 1/2 mile west of campus this year…. I think next semester I'm going to look east of campus near the Freret neighborhood. You can still be close to campus and are closer to the CBD and LGD which are probably a lot cooler than the Tulane area or Mid-City.

Best coffee shops? I can only think of one good one: Fair Grinds. The best coffee shop is Satsuma in the Bywater.

To be fair, many people like living in Mid-City. You can find beautiful houses along Esplanade and affordable/nice apartments near Carrollton and Canal. Being close to City Park and the fair grounds is convenient (esp. for Jazz Fest and VooDoo).

I would rather (and I do) live in a more dense area. I have a grocery store and dozens of bars/restaurants/stores/coffee shops within walking distance.

The Freret neighborhood is great! Good luck finding a place there!

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:19 am

I really like the CC's on Esplanade. It's rarely crowded, they have a quiet study room that you can reserve for group study sessions, there are plenty of plug outlets, CC's give you one free refill (opposed to PJ's who charge $2), and I've never seen a law student there (good to limit distractions). I don't know the names of the other coffee shops but I think there are at least four in a couple block area.

I went to the PJ's on Maple most of fall semester but during finals all of the coffee shops in the area were super packed so I ended up migrating to Mid City everyday. I think I'll just keep going up that way all semester in the spring.

CaptainJack

Postby CaptainJack » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 pm

In at Tulane with 25k per year. I really want to go to Tulane because of the sports law program but the scholarship isn't quite enough in my mind to take on that debt. I've gotten accepted into Virginia and gotten a full ride to Iowa (however with a nasty top 37% stip), and I am waiting on scholarship stuff from Colorado. Is there any chance Tulane could up their offer going off of that?

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:44 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:50 pm

Still at complete. Hope my updated transcript convinces them to look at me. I've been sitting at complete since 11/9

That means DING.

GeauxTigers7

Postby GeauxTigers7 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Gail, I am right there with you. I have been at complete since 11/18.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:01 pm

Last edited by Gail on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:49 pm

I just got back my December LSAT score and it was a 167. Was hoping to receive a fee waiver from Tulane because it's one of my top choices. I also want to apply ASAP but would like the fee waiver. I emailed admissions and they said they run the CRS searches weekly. Would a 3.47 167 get a fee waiver normally?

Also, can anyone comment on the sports law progra? How it is? And you're ability to interact with a Gabe Feldman for example.

pugilistjd

Postby pugilistjd » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Dash41 wrote:I just got back my December LSAT score and it was a 167. Was hoping to receive a fee waiver from Tulane because it's one of my top choices. I also want to apply ASAP but would like the fee waiver. I emailed admissions and they said they run the CRS searches weekly. Would a 3.47 167 get a fee waiver normally?

Also, can anyone comment on the sports law progra? How it is? And you're ability to interact with a Gabe Feldman for example.

Check out LSN. I saw some folks with your numbers who received fee waivers, but I'm not sure if applying later in the cycle makes a difference; for scholarships, sure, but for fee waivers, I doubt it. You will probably have to solicit them.

Aberzombie, if you're still reading this thread, was your section stacked with other students with scholarships or was it mixed? Nevermind, I forgot Tulane doesn't have sections!
Last edited by pugilistjd on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:35 pm

still sitting at 11/9

Would it be ok to send a LOCI without a decision?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Gail wrote:still sitting at 11/9

Would it be ok to send a LOCI without a decision?

I did, i sent one to UIUC and Loyola without a decision being rendered.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:06 pm

CaptainJack wrote:In at Tulane with 25k per year. I really want to go to Tulane because of the sports law program but the scholarship isn't quite enough in my mind to take on that debt. I've gotten accepted into Virginia and gotten a full ride to Iowa (however with a nasty top 37% stip), and I am waiting on scholarship stuff from Colorado. Is there any chance Tulane could up their offer going off of that?

It wouldn't hurt to try. The acceptance to Virginia would mean more to them than a full ride to Iowa.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:50 am

I'm waiting for that fee waiver, but not sure how much longer I can hold out. I think I should get one via CRS. The Tulane admissions person said they are conducted on a weekly basis. The scores came out Wednesday night, and I didn't get one on Thursday or Friday. Should I wait until Wednesday before I suck it up and pay the 60 dollars?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:52 am

i eventually did. I tried to solicit a fee waiver twice before I just gave up and paid the fee.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:55 am

mattviphky wrote:i eventually did. I tried to solicit a fee waiver twice before I just gave up and paid the fee.

Yeah from the responses I got it looks like they do it through the CRS only. I would think my numbers would qualify and they supposedly run the searches weekly like I said. Wednesday it probably is.

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Well I hope I get one by the end of the afternoon or looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and pay the 60 dollars.

LawperaMan

Postby LawperaMan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:35 pm

If they know you are going to apply anyway, why send you a waiver?

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:42 pm

LawperaMan wrote:If they know you are going to apply anyway, why send you a waiver?

They don't know that though. And I thought my numbers should be good for their fee waiver through the CRS considering they supposedly run checks for qualified candidates weekly.

PrincetonLaw

Postby PrincetonLaw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:48 pm

pugilistjd wrote:
Dash41 wrote:I just got back my December LSAT score and it was a 167. Was hoping to receive a fee waiver from Tulane because it's one of my top choices. I also want to apply ASAP but would like the fee waiver. I emailed admissions and they said they run the CRS searches weekly. Would a 3.47 167 get a fee waiver normally?

Check out LSN. I saw some folks with your numbers who received fee waivers, but I'm not sure if applying later in the cycle makes a difference; for scholarships, sure, but for fee waivers, I doubt it. You will probably have to solicit them.

Aberzombie, if you're still reading this thread, was your section stacked with other students with scholarships or was it mixed? Nevermind, I forgot Tulane doesn't have sections!

Tulane doesn't have sections? Not sure how I didn't notice that. My understanding has always been that most schools have sections. Is this not the case?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:19 pm

PrincetonLaw wrote:
pugilistjd wrote:

Tulane doesn't have sections? Not sure how I didn't notice that. My understanding has always been that most schools have sections. Is this not the case?

Over 80% of Tulane's students are on some form of scholarship. As a result, the vast majority of people in any set of classes will be on some form of scholarship. So in theory, it would impossible for Tulane to section stack - especially since students now only have to be in the top ~80% to keep their scholarships.

PrincetonLaw

Postby PrincetonLaw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
PrincetonLaw wrote:
pugilistjd wrote:

Over 80% of Tulane's students are on some form of scholarship. As a result, the vast majority of people in any set of classes will be on some form of scholarship. So in theory, it would impossible for Tulane to section stack - especially since students now only have to be in the top ~80% to keep their scholarships.

My question was about sections not scholarships. Im not concerned with section-stacking. I like the concept of sections and having the same classes with the same students. I'm a bit surprised they don't have sections.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”