University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
theatetus
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby theatetus » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:48 pm

sr84 wrote:
Mactx wrote:
I remember someone saying that the status date changes when your file moves on to another person in the committee, but not sure if that's true.


At the bottom of the admission status checker page it says:
"Please note that your account may show the same status for several weeks, even if the status date changes. This is because we have internal statuses that allow us to track the progress of your file as it moves through the review process. "

that might be what it means...


After going through this myself and looking through the forum for answers, my estimation is that your application will go through the committee three times before a decision is rendered. If this is the third time that date has been updated you should get a decision in a couple of days. However, I wasn't emailed and had to login to the status checker (as I had been frantically for several weeks anyway) to find out. Stay classy, UofH.

theatetus
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby theatetus » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:53 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
theatetus wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:FWIW, they sent out an email to some people on the waitlist the week before classes started asking for a reply from anyone who was still interested in attending.


Are you saying UHLC sent out the email a week before UH classes started or a week before STCL classes started? I guess either way it wouldn't matter because by that time we would've already paid our tuition to STCL (or wherever) for the fall. Does anyone know if there is a way to somehow get tuition refunded because of this situation? I can take a $300 hit but not $10000.


Before UHLC classes started, Dean Dillon sent out the email asking if anyone was still interested in attending to reply within like a few hours.


That's a lovely gesture, but by the time I get that email I'll be balls deep in STCL. Thanks for the followup though.

churakagii
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby churakagii » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:17 pm

theatetus wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:
theatetus wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:FWIW, they sent out an email to some people on the waitlist the week before classes started asking for a reply from anyone who was still interested in attending.


Are you saying UHLC sent out the email a week before UH classes started or a week before STCL classes started? I guess either way it wouldn't matter because by that time we would've already paid our tuition to STCL (or wherever) for the fall. Does anyone know if there is a way to somehow get tuition refunded because of this situation? I can take a $300 hit but not $10000.


Before UHLC classes started, Dean Dillon sent out the email asking if anyone was still interested in attending to reply within like a few hours.


That's a lovely gesture, but by the time I get that email I'll be balls deep in STCL. Thanks for the followup though.


+1 .. bleh

sr84
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sr84 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Did anyone get accepted after the first deposit around 4/18 ??

User avatar
Mactx
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:32 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mactx » Tue May 01, 2012 11:54 am

I haven't gotten a response yet (still under review). Would it be a bad idea to send them an LOCI already?

User avatar
sjwest
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sjwest » Tue May 01, 2012 12:04 pm

Mactx wrote:I haven't gotten a response yet (still under review). Would it be a bad idea to send them an LOCI already?



churakagii wrote:
theatetus wrote:
sr84 wrote:anybody else working on their LOCI?

I am, trying to send one out today or tomorrow. Who are you sending yours to?



I sent mine in already..*fingers crossed*!



A page back in the thread tells me a lot of people already have. Couldn't hurt!

wwwwwww
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby wwwwwww » Wed May 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Admitted from the waitlist today! Was waitlisted on 4-23-12 and didn't have chance to send in any more information.

churakagii
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby churakagii » Wed May 02, 2012 9:41 pm

wwwwwww wrote:Admitted from the waitlist today! Was waitlisted on 4-23-12 and didn't have chance to send in any more information.


congratulations!! what are your numbers??? i've been on the waitlist since 3/8 and still haven't had a change in status...

User avatar
dsb83
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Postby dsb83 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:09 pm

.
Last edited by dsb83 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Protagoristotle
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Protagoristotle » Wed May 02, 2012 11:24 pm

How did they notify you guys?

wwwwwww
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby wwwwwww » Wed May 02, 2012 11:30 pm

Protagoristotle wrote:How did they notify you guys?


Via email. I happened to check inbox when it arrived and checked my status online and the decision was reflected there also.

Protagoristotle
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Protagoristotle » Wed May 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Congrats. What kind of time frame did they give you to make a decision?

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5680
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BVest » Thu May 03, 2012 2:49 am

wwwwwww wrote:Admitted from the waitlist today! Was waitlisted on 4-23-12 and didn't have chance to send in any more information.


Me too (though originally waitlisted 4/18. My additional information that I was going to send in was a withdrawal. I was literally looking at my list of schools thinking "time to send some withdrawals" when the email came. After the acceptance, however, Mrs. BVest (a UHLC alum) wanted to discuss it further.

My withdrawal has now been sent. GL to the rest of you.

dsb83 wrote:I was admitted from the waitlist(from 4/23) also today, and if it helps, I had 2.72/165 with one hell of a GPA addendum.

Anyone on the waitlist at SMU also? Any idea when we might hear from them?


Hi, how are you?

I've got you beat on the split (mainly on the GPA). I don't care to share my numbers, but it's not terribly close.

SMU's second seat deposit (which I just submitted) is due May 15. I suspect they'll start hearing from folks around then, probably whenever they send out an email reminder about the deadline.


Protagoristotle wrote:Congrats. What kind of time frame did they give you to make a decision?


May 16:

We have begun reviewing the waitlist for the incoming class, and I am pleased to offer you a seat in the 2012 Full Time incoming class. To accept your seat, please return the attached form along with your non-refundable $200 enrollment fee by May 16, 2012. You will also receive a formal acceptance letter in the next few days.

Congratulations on your achievement. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you!

Protagoristotle
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Protagoristotle » Thu May 03, 2012 11:15 am

Appreciate all the info BVest. I've been sitting on the waitlist since mid-February. Hopefully there's a spot left for me. This process has definitely improved my patience.

churakagii
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby churakagii » Thu May 03, 2012 3:08 pm

Protagoristotle wrote:Appreciate all the info BVest. I've been sitting on the waitlist since mid-February. Hopefully there's a spot left for me. This process has definitely improved my patience.


Right there with you Protagoristotle.. I called the admissions office today and was told that they are starting with applications who have the highest lsat scores. Hopefully we will hear back soon.

Protagoristotle
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Protagoristotle » Thu May 03, 2012 4:35 pm

That only makes me more anxious... The last 2 1/2 months of limbo have been brutal. Are you waiting for PT or FT?

User avatar
miy
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:48 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby miy » Thu May 03, 2012 4:39 pm

Got initially waitlisted last Friday, letter arrived Monday, was offered a spot off of the waitlist via email on Tuesday. This seems like an efficient process...

I'm wondering if Scholarship info (if any) will be in the acceptance package they claim to be sending me.

mtyler19
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mtyler19 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:42 pm

churakagii wrote:
Protagoristotle wrote:Appreciate all the info BVest. I've been sitting on the waitlist since mid-February. Hopefully there's a spot left for me. This process has definitely improved my patience.


Right there with you Protagoristotle.. I called the admissions office today and was told that they are starting with applications who have the highest lsat scores. Hopefully we will hear back soon.


They told you that??!!??

churakagii
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby churakagii » Thu May 03, 2012 5:32 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
churakagii wrote:
Protagoristotle wrote:Appreciate all the info BVest. I've been sitting on the waitlist since mid-February. Hopefully there's a spot left for me. This process has definitely improved my patience.


Right there with you Protagoristotle.. I called the admissions office today and was told that they are starting with applications who have the highest lsat scores. Hopefully we will hear back soon.


They told you that??!!??



Yup. crazy, right? I asked them if they had an idea of when all waitlisted applicants would receive their final decisions because they have obviously already started reviewing the applications.. At first the guy I spoke to said he could not tell me anything but I eventually got him to tell me that they are going from scores right now. So much for not having a ranking system, eh?

churakagii
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby churakagii » Thu May 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Protagoristotle wrote:That only makes me more anxious... The last 2 1/2 months of limbo have been brutal. Are you waiting for PT or FT?


FT . you?

sr84
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sr84 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:45 pm

hahaha i was about to say the same thing because it says it in a number of different places that they do not have a ranking system..yeah right!


churakagii wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:
churakagii wrote:
Protagoristotle wrote:Appreciate all the info BVest. I've been sitting on the waitlist since mid-February. Hopefully there's a spot left for me. This process has definitely improved my patience.


Right there with you Protagoristotle.. I called the admissions office today and was told that they are starting with applications who have the highest lsat scores. Hopefully we will hear back soon.


They told you that??!!??



Yup. crazy, right? I asked them if they had an idea of when all waitlisted applicants would receive their final decisions because they have obviously already started reviewing the applications.. At first the guy I spoke to said he could not tell me anything but I eventually got him to tell me that they are going from scores right now. So much for not having a ranking system, eh?

churakagii
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby churakagii » Thu May 03, 2012 5:50 pm

miy wrote:Got initially waitlisted last Friday, letter arrived Monday, was offered a spot off of the waitlist via email on Tuesday. This seems like an efficient process...

I'm wondering if Scholarship info (if any) will be in the acceptance package they claim to be sending me.



Seems like everyone who got waitlisted LATER in the process is receiving good news before those of us who have been waitlisted for a couple of months now.. doesn't make me feel too good about my chances. :(

Protagoristotle
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Protagoristotle » Thu May 03, 2012 6:35 pm

churakagii wrote:
Protagoristotle wrote:That only makes me more anxious... The last 2 1/2 months of limbo have been brutal. Are you waiting for PT or FT?


FT . you?


PT. I think they have quite a few seats open for both. My opinion isn't based on any hard facts, but I like to think I'm lucky.

User avatar
Titleist
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Titleist » Thu May 03, 2012 7:25 pm

For those admitted or about to be admitted congrats.

Be sure to stop by the UHLC Class of 2015 page.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=179468&p=5471721#p5471721

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5680
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BVest » Fri May 04, 2012 1:25 am

churakagii wrote:Yup. crazy, right? I asked them if they had an idea of when all waitlisted applicants would receive their final decisions because they have obviously already started reviewing the applications.. At first the guy I spoke to said he could not tell me anything but I eventually got him to tell me that they are going from scores right now. So much for not having a ranking system, eh?

Assuming he wasn't full of it, it's not clear evidence of a ranking system. It could simply be that they're sitting X number of committed students below their target median LSAT, therefore they need to take enough WL students above that LSAT in order to get to the target. Once there, they can be more choosy about who else gets in off the WL. That would also explain why they're pulling high LSAT folks of the WL left and right while other folks are still waiting on first decision.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest