University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TJISMYHERO

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby TJISMYHERO » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:43 pm

UNTravis wrote:What is student life at UH? Are students active in student groups? Anything fun/interesting that students do with the law school- tailgating football games, golf outings, etc...?

Study all week. Party balls one weekend night. Repeat.
Some 1Ls are doing mock trial and arbitration/ negotiation. I'm holding off on getting real involved until after 1L. Grades are all that matter. There are always people getting together to golf or play basketball and what not, so you won't be at a loss of things to do if that's what you choose.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:17 pm

This may be a general law question of practicing in Texas. Are there any opportunities to work with labor unions that UH provides? Also could someone explain what exactly happens in a clinic? I'm interested in UH's civil clinic. Can any student use it? Do you get credit hours? How good does it look when interviewing?

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Did anyone else just get this e-mail?!?! what the heck?!

November 10, 2011

Dear Mary,

Thank you for your application to the University of Houston Law Center's Full Time JD program. The admissions committee will soon begin reviewing applications for 2012 admission. However, before the committee begins making its decisions, we would like to ask you to take a moment to review the application’s character and fitness questions and your responses.

Please note that this message is being sent to all applicants, not just to you. It is our experience that some applicants rush through the character and fitness questions in an effort to meet application deadlines. These applicants often fail to read the accompanying instructions and fail to fully consider their responses and the ramifications of answering inaccurately. We would encourage you to take a moment to make sure that you answered these questions completely and accurately. You can find a copy of the questions, additional instructions, and explanations at http://www.law.uh.edu/admissions/apply- ... tness.html.

If you discover that you need to amend your application, please send an email to lawadmissions@uh.edu. Your statement should describe the incident(s), including when, where and the legal outcome. You should also include an explanation of the surrounding circumstances. Applicants who amend their applications prior to file review (or before December 1, whichever is later) will be considered to have made a timely disclosure. If you cannot remember how you answered our questions, you can view a copy of your application by going to the transmitted applications section of your LSAC online account.

If you have any questions, please contact our office at 713-743-2280 or lawadmissions@uh.edu.

Thank you!

Pam Thomas-Hill

University of Houston Law Center

Office of Admissions

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:44 pm

emkay625 wrote:Did anyone else just get this e-mail?!?! what the heck?!

November 10, 2011

Dear Mary,

Thank you for your application to the University of Houston Law Center's Full Time JD program. The admissions committee will soon begin reviewing applications for 2012 admission. However, before the committee begins making its decisions, we would like to ask you to take a moment to review the application’s character and fitness questions and your responses.

Please note that this message is being sent to all applicants, not just to you. It is our experience that some applicants rush through the character and fitness questions in an effort to meet application deadlines. These applicants often fail to read the accompanying instructions and fail to fully consider their responses and the ramifications of answering inaccurately. We would encourage you to take a moment to make sure that you answered these questions completely and accurately. You can find a copy of the questions, additional instructions, and explanations at http://www.law.uh.edu/admissions/apply- ... tness.html.

If you discover that you need to amend your application, please send an email to lawadmissions@uh.edu. Your statement should describe the incident(s), including when, where and the legal outcome. You should also include an explanation of the surrounding circumstances. Applicants who amend their applications prior to file review (or before December 1, whichever is later) will be considered to have made a timely disclosure. If you cannot remember how you answered our questions, you can view a copy of your application by going to the transmitted applications section of your LSAC online account.

If you have any questions, please contact our office at 713-743-2280 or lawadmissions@uh.edu.

Thank you!

Pam Thomas-Hill

Office of Admissions

Yes! I came here to ask about it, too!

wolf

Postby wolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:46 pm

mtyler19 wrote:

November 10, 2011

Dear Mary,

Thank you!

Pam Thomas-Hill

Office of Admissions

Same here

Larry David

Postby Larry David » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:20 pm

wolf wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:

November 10, 2011

Dear Mary,

Thank you!

Pam Thomas-Hill

Office of Admissions

Same here

Got this too freaked out thinking there was someone with my same name who had a crazy rap sheet or something lol.

Yellowtree

Postby Yellowtree » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Larry David wrote:
wolf wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:

November 10, 2011

Dear Mary,

Thank you!

Pam Thomas-Hill

Office of Admissions

Same here

Got this too freaked out thinking there was someone with my same name who had a crazy rap sheet or something lol.

Gotten this from a few schools. I think they just wanna make sure you carefully and correctly answered the questions as once a decision has been made, falsifying information on this would be the only thing to prevent you from gaining admission.

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:18 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:Did you all write a 'Why Houston?' I didn't mention it in my PS and now I'm worried because my lsat is lowish.

Nope.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Just went FIR today!!!!!!!! :?

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolf

Postby wolf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:43 pm

mtyler19 wrote:Just went FIR today!!!!!!!! :?

Jwb0711

Postby Jwb0711 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Larry David wrote:
bartleby wrote:i live near montrose. my place is super overpriced (about a G) but it is about the same as calhoun lofts. it is a lot better though, aesthetically - and i'm just straddling the ghetto. i feel real safe tho. 10 min commute.

a ton of homos in my apartment complex. it doesn't make me uncomfortable but i guess it could make others uncomfortable. also the walls are thin, so though i am not anti-gay, i was a little afraid at first of hearing loud sex noises.

PM me i guess, if you want to know the location.

also i just randomly got my texas graduate 1L grant for fall and spring for 1k each semester. boner jams.

I had no idea Houston was so gay friendly!! Between Houston and Dallas which would you say has the biggest LGBT presence?

I wouldn't say Houston is gay friendly... but there are alot of homosexuals in Montrose. I've lived here my whole life and... come to think of it never seen any homosexuals outside of that area in this city. Dallas I have no idea.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:08 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:In review! An acceptance would really make my Thanksgiving!!!

+1!! :)

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:22 pm

I'd write a why Houston... I think it makes sense unless you don't really care to go to the school. There's a lot of BS you can squeeze in there and I felt it gave me a really quick acceptance.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:25 pm

bartleby wrote:I'd write a why Houston... I think it makes sense unless you don't really care to go to the school. There's a lot of BS you can squeeze in there and I felt it gave me a really quick acceptance.

Wish I had now. UH is my #1 choice, I can't see myself at the other schools I applied to. :(

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:43 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
bartleby wrote:I'd write a why Houston... I think it makes sense unless you don't really care to go to the school. There's a lot of BS you can squeeze in there and I felt it gave me a really quick acceptance.

Wish I had now. UH is my #1 choice, I can't see myself at the other schools I applied to. :(

Well I didn't write one either at first because I took TLS conventional wisdom but then I wrote one in an hour and emailed them and was like - Wowies, I can't believe I forgot to attach my "Why Houston" - as it highlights the reasons why UH is my top choice. Can I attach it..."

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:08 pm

File in Review

acceptmeplease

Postby acceptmeplease » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:14 pm

My application status says "incomplete - missing residency questions". I went over my application and answered all the relevant questions. Is this likely a processing error or should I contact admissions?

nomames

Postby nomames » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Just contact them, more than likely your not reading the application right. The residency part is different from last year's application. They will direct you to the link on the law school webpage for residency, and want you to print it out and complete it and snail mail it in.
acceptmeplease wrote:My application status says "incomplete - missing residency questions". I went over my application and answered all the relevant questions. Is this likely a processing error or should I contact admissions?

acceptmeplease

Postby acceptmeplease » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks for the help!

eaper

Postby eaper » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:37 am

Application received 10/31 and under review since 11/18.

Oftranch

Postby Oftranch » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Just by looking at last years LSN dates it looks like decisions should start coming out around mid-December, do any of you current students know anymore about decision dates?

Stevoman

Postby Stevoman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:09 pm

acceptmeplease wrote:My application status says "incomplete - missing residency questions". I went over my application and answered all the relevant questions. Is this likely a processing error or should I contact admissions?

Well I'm scared/upset.

I have heard some sort of communication from every school I've applied to except UH. Yesterday I realized I hadn't heard anything from UH, so I dug up the status checker, and see that my file was incomplete for the same reasons. Which really puzzles me because I know I filled out the residency questionnaire on the application.

There was literally zero communication to me about this, just a silent changed on my status checker. I sent in the papers they wanted, but I hope them being that late doesn't affect my chances...

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Stevoman wrote:

Well I'm scared/upset.

I have heard some sort of communication from every school I've applied to except UH. Yesterday I realized I hadn't heard anything from UH, so I dug up the status checker, and see that my file was incomplete for the same reasons. Which really puzzles me because I know I filled out the residency questionnaire on the application.

There was literally zero communication to me about this, just a silent changed on my status checker. I sent in the papers they wanted, but I hope them being that late doesn't affect my chances...

I HIGHLY doubt this is a big deal. I don't think they get enough applicants for this to seriously affect your chances the way it might at a more competitive school. Also, I don't think they've even made any decisions yet.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”