University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zanzbar
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zanzbar » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:09 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:There is a Hilton on campus.


...$160 a night


So much for southern hospitality.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bartleby » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:06 am

for the love of god, do not stay with your family on campus

User avatar
JRSims22
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JRSims22 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:45 am

mtyler19 wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:There is a Hilton on campus.


...$160 a night



Stay somewhere fun! Have you been here before at all? If you have the time/opportunity stay downtown or even maybe close to the Galleria? I live in Kemah (about a 35 minute drive) there are some REALLY reasonable hotels down here and you would get a little touristy vacation at the same time (although if you're flying that may be difficult)! Maybe if we run into each other and suddenly recognize each other based soley on our avatars we can go get girl drinks. : ) You ARE a girl right? lol

mtyler19
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mtyler19 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:44 am

bartleby wrote:for the love of god, do not stay with your family on campus


Haha I'm just coming with my boyfriend but still not paying that much just to be on campus.


JRSims22 wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:There is a Hilton on campus.


...$160 a night



Stay somewhere fun! Have you been here before at all? If you have the time/opportunity stay downtown or even maybe close to the Galleria? I live in Kemah (about a 35 minute drive) there are some REALLY reasonable hotels down here and you would get a little touristy vacation at the same time (although if you're flying that may be difficult)! Maybe if we run into each other and suddenly recognize each other based soley on our avatars we can go get girl drinks. : ) You ARE a girl right? lol


Yeah I'm thinking of staying somewhere downtown or around there, they seem to be cheaper farther away from the campus. Lol yes I am:-) We definitely should! If you end up going are you planning on staying there? I'm curious how people feel about living 20-30 minutes away

User avatar
JRSims22
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JRSims22 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:09 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
bartleby wrote:for the love of god, do not stay with your family on campus


Haha I'm just coming with my boyfriend but still not paying that much just to be on campus.


JRSims22 wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:There is a Hilton on campus.


...$160 a night



Stay somewhere fun! Have you been here before at all? If you have the time/opportunity stay downtown or even maybe close to the Galleria? I live in Kemah (about a 35 minute drive) there are some REALLY reasonable hotels down here and you would get a little touristy vacation at the same time (although if you're flying that may be difficult)! Maybe if we run into each other and suddenly recognize each other based soley on our avatars we can go get girl drinks. : ) You ARE a girl right? lol


Yeah I'm thinking of staying somewhere downtown or around there, they seem to be cheaper farther away from the campus. Lol yes I am:-) We definitely should! If you end up going are you planning on staying there? I'm curious how people feel about living 20-30 minutes away


Yes, we will likely stay down here. My husband is a defense attorney and commutes into downtown every day as well. I think commuting a pretty significant distance is actually really common around here. I lived in a nice area by the Galleria for a while and I prefer suburbia (most communities outside of Beltway 8). : ) We live right by the water in Kemah and the prices for rent are really out of this world.

We do travel into town quite often on leisure - to go out to bars with friends, a show, or a nice dinner. I have alot of single friends that live in Midtown.

dreambig
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:21 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dreambig » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Anyone had any status movement recently?

mtyler19
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mtyler19 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:43 pm

JRSims22 wrote:

mtyler19 wrote:
JRSims22 wrote:

Stay somewhere fun! Have you been here before at all? If you have the time/opportunity stay downtown or even maybe close to the Galleria? I live in Kemah (about a 35 minute drive) there are some REALLY reasonable hotels down here and you would get a little touristy vacation at the same time (although if you're flying that may be difficult)! Maybe if we run into each other and suddenly recognize each other based soley on our avatars we can go get girl drinks. : ) You ARE a girl right? lol


Yeah I'm thinking of staying somewhere downtown or around there, they seem to be cheaper farther away from the campus. Lol yes I am:-) We definitely should! If you end up going are you planning on staying there? I'm curious how people feel about living 20-30 minutes away


Yes, we will likely stay down here. My husband is a defense attorney and commutes into downtown every day as well. I think commuting a pretty significant distance is actually really common around here. I lived in a nice area by the Galleria for a while and I prefer suburbia (most communities outside of Beltway 8). : ) We live right by the water in Kemah and the prices for rent are really out of this world.

We do travel into town quite often on leisure - to go out to bars with friends, a show, or a nice dinner. I have alot of single friends that live in Midtown.


Wow, it does look really pretty. We were planning on stopping in Galveston for a bit, maybe we'll drive through on our way down. I'm not sure how I'd feel about commuting that far everyday but rent is so much cheaper!

User avatar
Titleist
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Titleist » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Any current students want to chime in-

What is the social life like? Do students regularly go out for drinks with each other on the weekend? What area of Houston do people commonly go out for drinks?

User avatar
JRSims22
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JRSims22 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:06 pm

Titleist wrote:Any current students want to chime in-

What is the social life like? Do students regularly go out for drinks with each other on the weekend? What area of Houston do people commonly go out for drinks?


I'm not a current student yet so I cant comment on student habits but I do live in Houston and will be attending in the Fall. The most common areas for twenty-somethings include Midtown, Washington, and Rice Village. All 3 have pretty unique atmospheres so it really depends on if you're wanting to lay low or be a part of the "scene".

User avatar
Titleist
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Titleist » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Do those areas have a "college town" feel or anything similar? Nothing too fancy, cheap drinks, etc...

Oftranch
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Oftranch » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:13 pm

There aren't many places in Houston that have "cheap drinks"... at least not in my experience

User avatar
JRSims22
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JRSims22 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Titleist wrote:Do those areas have a "college town" feel or anything similar? Nothing too fancy, cheap drinks, etc...


Yea I would have to agree that "cheap drinks" is kind of a relative term around here! But YES there are places that wont make you cry when you get your tab lol. If you want the loungy more laid back vibe Rice Village would probably be a good bet. I stopped going there a year or two out of college because I was looking for something different. You're going to get a pretty young crowd - lots of college age people due to its close proximity to Rice (hence its moniker).

I tend to prefer Midtown - as a reference I'm a 26 yr old female. Washington would be the most expensive choice by far; in the evenings a group of gentlemen are likely to wait outside for a bit to get into each place - while girls usually are let straight through the line.

Anyhow - LOTS of options and once you're here for a bit you'll get a feel for the bartenders you like and happy hours throughout the week. I plan for my head to be in the books quite a bit the first year but might be up for researching good happy hours if the opportunity presents itself : )

My experiences for what its worth!

User avatar
Titleist
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Titleist » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Is the Rice Village area an expensive place to live?

How long of a commute to UHLC?

apeopleshistory
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:14 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby apeopleshistory » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:41 pm

.
Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bartleby » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:52 am

UH is the complete opposite of college towns. Most of the people that make up the main campus and stuff commute from the 'burbs so a lot of people go home right after class. There is nothing that remotely resembles a college town except the college. Recently, they've added a Chili's and there are two Starbuckses. argh, totally misread. the closest you'll get to a collegetown feel imo is probably rice village but it's like a makeshift collegetown. montrose is a little too seedy. midtown/heights is too weak.

Rice Village is def pricier and it will be hard to find an affordable single. It's also a 10 min commute but with traffic, it can balloon easily up to 30 mins.

There are a lot of good places to get drinks in Montrose / Midtown...and Rice Village if you are trying to relive your college glory days. Anvil is a good place to get a drink but pricey. Benjy's for happy hour drinks is pretty incredible.

User avatar
JRSims22
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JRSims22 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:15 am

bartleby wrote:UH is the complete opposite of college towns. Most of the people that make up the main campus and stuff commute from the 'burbs so a lot of people go home right after class. There is nothing that remotely resembles a college town except the college. Recently, they've added a Chili's and there are two Starbuckses. argh, totally misread. the closest you'll get to a collegetown feel imo is probably rice village but it's like a makeshift collegetown. montrose is a little too seedy. midtown/heights is too weak.

Rice Village is def pricier and it will be hard to find an affordable single. It's also a 10 min commute but with traffic, it can balloon easily up to 30 mins.

There are a lot of good places to get drinks in Montrose / Midtown...and Rice Village if you are trying to relive your college glory days. Anvil is a good place to get a drink but pricey. Benjy's for happy hour drinks is pretty incredible.


+1 As a generalization, Housing inside the loop is less bang for your buck. You're paying for location. Yuo just have to figure out what's most important to you.

User avatar
JRSims22
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JRSims22 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:20 am

apeopleshistory wrote:Question for Houstonites:

Do you have any neighborhood recs for a family? I'm looking at apts inside the loop (that feed into good schools) and they're around $1500 a month for a 2/2 :| I'm a city girl but I'm willing to consider the 'burbs.


So I'm assuming you're wanting to find something under $1500 for a 2/2? I have looked inside the loop for something similar - you can definitely find decent 2/2 for $1300+ (I should mention Im picky). In general I prefer suburbia - there are ALOT of options outside of Beltway 8 if your willing to make the drive. Friendswood, Pearland, Clear Lake, Sugarland, I live in the League City/Kemah area. You could get a NICE 3 bedroom rental house in any of these places for that price - HAR.com has houses for rent at $1500 all over the place.

apeopleshistory
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:14 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby apeopleshistory » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:55 am

.
Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TJISMYHERO
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby TJISMYHERO » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:39 am

Titleist wrote:Any current students want to chime in-

What is the social life like? Do students regularly go out for drinks with each other on the weekend? What area of Houston do people commonly go out for drinks?


We tend to go out once a weekend and it usually turns into kind of a shit show. I've seen half my classmates legitimately drunk. It's sad drinking, not happy drinking. After busting ass all week, all you'll want to do is drink.

mtyler19
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mtyler19 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:04 pm

SCHOLARSHIP LETTER MAILED 2/23! :D :D :D

zanzbar
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zanzbar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:29 pm

mtyler19 wrote:SCHOLARSHIP LETTER MAILED 2/23! :D :D :D


Same I was doubting I would get one since my LSAT was only a 160.

kjames511
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:30 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kjames511 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Congrats on scholly money. I have been UR since 1/31- how long did yall stay UR? i'm 158/3.9 and don't know what to expect

zanzbar
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zanzbar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:38 pm

kjames511 wrote:Congrats on scholly money. I have been UR since 1/31- how long did yall stay UR? i'm 158/3.9 and don't know what to expect


I applied ED complete 11/1, first UR 11/17 Admited 2/10. We are both reverse splitters my stats were 4.0/160 so hold in there.

kjames511
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:30 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kjames511 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:40 pm

zanzbar wrote:
kjames511 wrote:Congrats on scholly money. I have been UR since 1/31- how long did yall stay UR? i'm 158/3.9 and don't know what to expect


I applied ED complete 11/1, first UR 11/17 Admited 2/10. We are both reverse splitters my stats were 4.0/160 so hold in there.


thanks :)

User avatar
Prospecta8571
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Prospecta8571 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:52 pm

JRSims22 wrote:
apeopleshistory wrote:Question for Houstonites:

Do you have any neighborhood recs for a family? I'm looking at apts inside the loop (that feed into good schools) and they're around $1500 a month for a 2/2 :| I'm a city girl but I'm willing to consider the 'burbs.


So I'm assuming you're wanting to find something under $1500 for a 2/2? I have looked inside the loop for something similar - you can definitely find decent 2/2 for $1300+ (I should mention Im picky). In general I prefer suburbia - there are ALOT of options outside of Beltway 8 if your willing to make the drive. Friendswood, Pearland, Clear Lake, Sugarland, I live in the League City/Kemah area. You could get a NICE 3 bedroom rental house in any of these places for that price - HAR.com has houses for rent at $1500 all over the place.


I would not stay over by Beltway 8. I come from around that area. You will be in traffic for a minimum of 3 hours a day, easily. I used to commute from the Beltway over to Greenway Plaza off of 59 and that drive is hellish. It was an hour to get to work and an hour and fifteen to get home. That being said, you can get an extremely nice place (probably even a nice house) if you look out of the loop and over by the Beltway.

Rice is definitely the nicer area, but is pricey. I love the heights, and that is probably where I will look. There are affordable apartments around Memorial Park that I would look into also.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dojodawg, taxman14 and 3 guests