University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TJISMYHERO

Re: University of Houston c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby TJISMYHERO » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Hey guys, looks like the thread for next year is starting to take off. I'm a 1L at UH and I'm glad to help answer questions you all have.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:49 am

Are there nice loft style apartments near(ish) to the university?

Stevoman

Postby Stevoman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:02 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:Hey guys, looks like the thread for next year is starting to take off. I'm a 1L at UH and I'm glad to help answer questions you all have.

Does parking still suck at UH? Graduated in early 2010...still have nightmares about parking.

"Oh, we've been given money for a another building and don't have room? Just demolish another parking lot, obviously!"

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Stevoman wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:Hey guys, looks like the thread for next year is starting to take off. I'm a 1L at UH and I'm glad to help answer questions you all have.

Does parking still suck at UH? Graduated in early 2010...still have nightmares about parking.

"Oh, we've been given money for a another building and don't have room? Just demolish another parking lot, obviously!"

Parking is worse, my friend. They restricted almost all of the red lot. lollerskates.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:33 pm

UNTravis wrote:Are there nice loft style apartments near(ish) to the university?

The Calhoun lofts are right across the street from the law school. It's kind of a mix between a dorm and an apartment (but more on the side of an apartment). And, there are a lot of nicer apartments within about a 15-20 minute drive during traffic. The area right around the school is pretty much off limits, it's extremely ghetto, but if you're willing to make a little bit of a drive and deal with parking then there are some good options relatively close by.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:35 pm

bartleby wrote:
Stevoman wrote:

Parking is worse, my friend. They restricted almost all of the red lot. lollerskates.

+1, parking is atrocious.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:43 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:
UNTravis wrote:Are there nice loft style apartments near(ish) to the university?

The Calhoun lofts are right across the street from the law school. It's kind of a mix between a dorm and an apartment (but more on the side of an apartment). And, there are a lot of nicer apartments within about a 15-20 minute drive during traffic. The area right around the school is pretty much off limits, it's extremely ghetto, but if you're willing to make a little bit of a drive and deal with parking then there are some good options relatively close by.

I was aware of the Calhoun lofts and I am quite impressed by them. Do you have any personal experience with them? Also what is a good neighborhood/area to look at (is a place downtown too far of a drive)? I am willing to drive 15-30 minutes w/ traffic if the place is nice.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:20 pm

UNTravis wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:

I was aware of the Calhoun lofts and I am quite impressed by them. Do you have any personal experience with them? Also what is a good neighborhood/area to look at (is a place downtown too far of a drive)? I am willing to drive 15-30 minutes w/ traffic if the place is nice.

Someone posted this last year, I think it is the black area that is less than desirable, and I think within the green ring is about a 10-15 minute drive away from campus.

Jwb0711

Postby Jwb0711 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:04 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
UNTravis wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:

Someone posted this last year, I think it is the black area that is less than desirable, and I think within the green ring is about a 10-15 minute drive away from campus.

Montrose has alot of homosexuals fyi. If that bothers you, I would stay clear. Honestly you would want to live farther out. All the regions highlighted are very expensive. It would be better to live farther out, save $$$ , and commute in.

Josh the Goat

Postby Josh the Goat » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:30 pm

I posted that map two years ago, then reposted it for last year. The rings represent approximately a 5, 10, and 15 minute commute. I lived in the med center 1L year in a 1 bedroom for around $950, not sure what the going rates are now.

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:13 am

Josh the Goat,

How are job prospects at BigLaw?

I'd be an out of stater, and since UofH is really stingy with the scholarships, I don't think that I'll be able to apply. I really liked the idea of Houston though.

My numbers definitely admit me, but my wallet can't take that debt.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:58 pm

NiccoloA wrote:Josh the Goat,

How are job prospects at BigLaw?

I'd be an out of stater, and since UofH is really stingy with the scholarships, I don't think that I'll be able to apply. I really liked the idea of Houston though.

My numbers definitely admit me, but my wallet can't take that debt.

No idea on the final numbers this year. I'd estimate that roughly 15-20% got biglaw through OCI this year. I'm top 25% and got mid-biglaw paying just under market. The conditions have been favorable given the school's rank.

FWIW, I had 8 screeners and 4 callbacks.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Jwb0711 wrote:
Montrose has alot of homosexuals fyi. If that bothers you, I would stay clear. Honestly you would want to live farther out. All the regions highlighted are very expensive. It would be better to live farther out, save $$$ , and commute in.

It's true that Montrose is the "gay" district. But it's not like they're flooding the streets in protest every day. Living in Montrose is probably viable for all but the world's worst homophobes.

Also, the highlighted areas aren't that expensive at all. This is misinformation. I live in a house (with roommates) in the med center for $600. I lived in a 2 bedroom by myself last year for $800. It had hardwood floors, granite counters, and came fully furnished.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:03 pm

UNTravis wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:

Do yourself a favor and don't live in the Lofts. You'll pay more than they are worth and you'll hate yourself for it when you can never get away from the law center.

Just don't.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:44 pm

Do you know any places that are similar aesthetically to the Calhoun lofts in the area? I have lived in a dated rent house for the past three years, I am in need of an upgrade.

Jwb0711

Postby Jwb0711 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
Jwb0711 wrote:

It's true that Montrose is the "gay" district. But it's not like they're flooding the streets in protest every day. Living in Montrose is probably viable for all but the world's worst homophobes.

Also, the highlighted areas aren't that expensive at all. This is misinformation. I live in a house (with roommates) in the med center for $600. I lived in a 2 bedroom by myself last year for $800. It had hardwood floors, granite counters, and came fully furnished.

Lol.

No homosexuals are not "protesting in the streets", but if you go down there - it will be in your face. Lots of gay clubs etc. I'm sure it won't bother alot of people, but I'm just alerting TLSers. Don't be a tard now.

Please share your amazing deal of an apartment. 800 a month for a full furnished apartment? 2 bedroom in the medical center? Please post the link. I have several friends living in the medical center, their rents range from 900 to 1200 for 1 br 1 ba... granted they are nice apartments, but I still call BS on your "800 a mo / furnished apartment / prime houston location / 2br" deal.

I personally hope it is not BS as a prime location like that would be amazing to commute to UH.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:57 pm

Any advice for an out of towner to find a good deal in Houston on a place to live? This part of the process is overwhelming to me.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Jwb0711 wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
Jwb0711 wrote:

Lol.

No homosexuals are not "protesting in the streets", but if you go down there - it will be in your face. Lots of gay clubs etc. I'm sure it won't bother alot of people, but I'm just alerting TLSers. Don't be a tard now.

Please share your amazing deal of an apartment. 800 a month for a full furnished apartment? 2 bedroom in the medical center? Please post the link. I have several friends living in the medical center, their rents range from 900 to 1200 for 1 br 1 ba... granted they are nice apartments, but I still call BS on your "800 a mo / furnished apartment / prime houston location / 2br" deal.

I personally hope it is not BS as a prime location like that would be amazing to commute to UH.

What's my incentive to lie about this?

It's not my fault your friends got ripped off by the first shitty apartment complex they visited.

And for the record, nothing about Montrose is "in your face." The only people who would say that are people who have never lived anywhere outside of Texas/the South. Go live in New York for a summer. Taking the subway through lower Manhattan will show you what "in your face" is like. Obviously it's on you if you are a straight guy who chooses to go into a gay bar.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:57 pm

UNTravis wrote:Any advice for an out of towner to find a good deal in Houston on a place to live? This part of the process is overwhelming to me.

FWIW, I used Craigslist to find my apartment. That advice comes with the "buyer beware" tag, but good deals can be had. Only consider areas on the map given above. If you live outside of the loop like the guy above is suggesting, you will hate your life a little bit more than you will anyway.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:25 pm

UNTravis wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:

I actually live at Calhoun and I really like it. It's kind of expensive. $1,087 a month, for a 1/1, but I personally like being right by the law center. I'll probably be looking for a house next year, but for 1L I don't think it's a bad deal at all. I had never been to Houston before moving here, so learning the city at my own pace plus never dealing with the parking woes that plague this university has been nice. Plus, a bunch of other 1Ls live here, which has fostered my study group. And my drinking group.

Okay, back to outlining.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:35 am

Submitted yesterday, file complete today. So nervous! :?

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:19 pm

i live near montrose. my place is super overpriced (about a G) but it is about the same as calhoun lofts. it is a lot better though, aesthetically - and i'm just straddling the ghetto. i feel real safe tho. 10 min commute.

a ton of homos in my apartment complex. it doesn't make me uncomfortable but i guess it could make others uncomfortable. also the walls are thin, so though i am not anti-gay, i was a little afraid at first of hearing loud sex noises.

PM me i guess, if you want to know the location.

also i just randomly got my texas graduate 1L grant for fall and spring for 1k each semester. boner jams.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:42 am

What is student life at UH? Are students active in student groups? Anything fun/interesting that students do with the law school- tailgating football games, golf outings, etc...?

ctm823

Postby ctm823 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:48 am

The Washington area is huge for people in their mid 20's as far as going out, so I would suggest living in that area to be a part of the scene and then commuting to school. Houston is so big that cabs can get pretty expensive, so the short commute to school would be much better than commuting for the night life. Amli Memorial Heights is a little pricy for a one bedroom but much better pricing if you have a roommate and it is full of people in their mid 20's. So its a great place to live, meet people out of law school, take advantage of the pool etc. If it's too pricey for your taste, look it up and use the location as a guide to where most of the young working class is living right now.

Larry David

Postby Larry David » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:03 pm

bartleby wrote:i live near montrose. my place is super overpriced (about a G) but it is about the same as calhoun lofts. it is a lot better though, aesthetically - and i'm just straddling the ghetto. i feel real safe tho. 10 min commute.

a ton of homos in my apartment complex. it doesn't make me uncomfortable but i guess it could make others uncomfortable. also the walls are thin, so though i am not anti-gay, i was a little afraid at first of hearing loud sex noises.

PM me i guess, if you want to know the location.

also i just randomly got my texas graduate 1L grant for fall and spring for 1k each semester. boner jams.

I had no idea Houston was so gay friendly!! Between Houston and Dallas which would you say has the biggest LGBT presence?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”