Vanderbilt c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DonnaDraper

Bronze

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by DonnaDraper » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:13 pm

After going through my cycle, hearing nothing from Vandy the whole time, finishing my cycle, and then withdrawing, they finally send me a viewbook. COOL. Get it together, Vandy.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:41 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:After going through my cycle, hearing nothing from Vandy the whole time, finishing my cycle, and then withdrawing, they finally send me a viewbook. COOL. Get it together, Vandy.
Yeah I got one of those today as well. Very random.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:51 am

Yup got one last week as well. IDK if it was just a broad sendout or for future WLers or what. I've been waiting since early-mid November, lawl.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:59 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Yup got one last week as well. IDK if it was just a broad sendout or for future WLers or what. I've been waiting since early-mid November, lawl.
They sent me one 6 weeks after I was admitted. Pretty sure the timing means nothing. Don't stress.

matvei

New

Post by matvei » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:46 am

Last edited by matvei on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mentlegen

New

Post by Mentlegen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Submitted 11/30, complete on 12/7, and now decision mailed on 1/2. Hopefully I'll get something in the mail today or tomorrow.

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Post by Green Glass Windows » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:36 pm

Mentlegen wrote:Submitted 11/30, complete on 12/7, and now decision mailed on 1/2. Hopefully I'll get something in the mail today or tomorrow.
I had similar submit and complete dates as you, but no decision mailed date for me yet. Trying to keep the hope alive! Best of luck to you!

Lindsey4468

New

Post by Lindsey4468 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:05 am

Submitted 10/30, completed 11/4. No decision mailed date yet :( PLEASE Vandy, you're my dream school! Send me the black box!! My LSAT and GPA are below the 25% mark, however I had amazing softs and did my interview with an alumnus who loved me and said he was recommending me 100% and that I was a perfect fit for Vandy regardless of my scores. I'm not a super traditional applicant. Anyone think I've got a slight shot at it?

ricsllscir

Bronze

Post by ricsllscir » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 am

Application Received Date: 12/19/2011
Completed Date: 1/2/2012
Decision Mailed Date: 01/04/2012

Anyone have any idea what this means?! Didn't expect such a tight turn around...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

confusedlaw

Silver

Post by confusedlaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Stil nothing here people have been hearing withlot faster times

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Lindsey4468 wrote:Submitted 10/30, completed 11/4. No decision mailed date yet :( PLEASE Vandy, you're my dream school! Send me the black box!! My LSAT and GPA are below the 25% mark, however I had amazing softs and did my interview with an alumnus who loved me and said he was recommending me 100% and that I was a perfect fit for Vandy regardless of my scores. I'm not a super traditional applicant. Anyone think I've got a slight shot at it?
Define "amazing softs." (It's hard to give an opinion without knowing what they are).

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 pm

ricsllscir wrote:Application Received Date: 12/19/2011

Anyone have any idea what this means?! Didn't expect such a tight turn around...
Wow, I just checked, got a decision mailed date too. Is that good news or bad news lol.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 pm

matvei wrote:I've been waiting since October. Vandy hates me a lot...
I'm close to you. Early November complete date. Wrote a why vandy and even visited the school....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ricsllscir

Bronze

Post by ricsllscir » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:03 pm

American_in_China wrote:
ricsllscir wrote:Application Received Date: 12/19/2011

Wow, I just checked, got a decision mailed date too. Is that good news or bad news lol.
haha, noooo idea, but racing home during my lunch break to find out...crazy doubtful that it'll arrive next day, but I have no self-control

Lindsey4468

New

Post by Lindsey4468 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:26 pm

emkay625 wrote:
Lindsey4468 wrote:Submitted 10/30, completed 11/4. No decision mailed date yet :( PLEASE Vandy, you're my dream school! Send me the black box!! My LSAT and GPA are below the 25% mark, however I had amazing softs and did my interview with an alumnus who loved me and said he was recommending me 100% and that I was a perfect fit for Vandy regardless of my scores. I'm not a super traditional applicant. Anyone think I've got a slight shot at it?
Define "amazing softs." (It's hard to give an opinion without knowing what they are).

Grew up as a ward of the court in the longest running child custody case in the history of the Dallas Court System, Worked exclusively on an innocence project in Dallas during undergrad which helped to exonerate two former inmates, Volunteered over 1,000 hours with the North Texas Food Bank and the Dallas Independent School District during my undergrad and helped to create a new program to stop childhood hunger (The President and CEO of the North Texas Food Bank wrote one of my rec letters), Started college at 16- graduated at 20 Magna Cum Laude, Officer in Delta Delta Delta Sorority, Secretary of Alpha Phi Sigma Criminology honor society, Member of Sigma Alpha Lambda, Golden Key, Lambda Alpha Epsilon, and Omicron Delta Kappa (all honor societies), Dean's list for the past four semesters, Worked two jobs during college, Recipient of the Who's Who award in undergrad presented for being the one of the most outstanding students in the department, etc....

I'm a 3.19 LSAC GPA (3.5 Degree)/156 if that helps... However, like I stated previously, my interviewer was extremely impressed and his words were, "I think you would be a great fit at Vandy and I am recommending you to the admissions committee to the fullest extent. Your numbers are irrelevant compared to your life story and I am very impressed. I don't think your numbers will weigh you down with everything you've done soft factor wise."

Mentlegen

New

Post by Mentlegen » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:40 pm

The decision sent this Monday was indeed a black box acceptance; I just received it from the Fedex lady. I'm going to have a hell of a time comparing Vanderbilt to UT.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Lindsey4468 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

Grew up as a ward of the court in the longest running child custody case in the history of the Dallas Court System, Worked exclusively on an innocence project in Dallas during undergrad which helped to exonerate two former inmates, Volunteered over 1,000 hours with the North Texas Food Bank and the Dallas Independent School District during my undergrad and helped to create a new program to stop childhood hunger (The President and CEO of the North Texas Food Bank wrote one of my rec letters), Started college at 16- graduated at 20 Magna Cum Laude, Officer in Delta Delta Delta Sorority, Secretary of Alpha Phi Sigma Criminology honor society, Member of Sigma Alpha Lambda, Golden Key, Lambda Alpha Epsilon, and Omicron Delta Kappa (all honor societies), Dean's list for the past four semesters, Worked two jobs during college, Recipient of the Who's Who award in undergrad presented for being the one of the most outstanding students in the department, etc....

I'm a 3.19 LSAC GPA (3.5 Degree)/156 if that helps... However, like I stated previously, my interviewer was extremely impressed and his words were, "I think you would be a great fit at Vandy and I am recommending you to the admissions committee to the fullest extent. Your numbers are irrelevant compared to your life story and I am very impressed. I don't think your numbers will weigh you down with everything you've done soft factor wise."
Does. Not. Compute.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lindsey4468

New

Post by Lindsey4468 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:40 pm

chem wrote:
Lindsey4468 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

Does. Not. Compute.

Care to elaborate? Does not compute is vague.

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:55 pm

chem wrote:
Lindsey4468 wrote: Grew up as a ward of the court in the longest running child custody case in the history of the Dallas Court System, Worked exclusively on an innocence project in Dallas during undergrad which helped to exonerate two former inmates, Volunteered over 1,000 hours with the North Texas Food Bank and the Dallas Independent School District during my undergrad and helped to create a new program to stop childhood hunger (The President and CEO of the North Texas Food Bank wrote one of my rec letters), Started college at 16- graduated at 20 Magna Cum Laude, Officer in Delta Delta Delta Sorority, Secretary of Alpha Phi Sigma Criminology honor society, Member of Sigma Alpha Lambda, Golden Key, Lambda Alpha Epsilon, and Omicron Delta Kappa (all honor societies), Dean's list for the past four semesters, Worked two jobs during college, Recipient of the Who's Who award in undergrad presented for being the one of the most outstanding students in the department, etc....

Does. Not. Compute.
I thought the same thing too but I guess her UG's magna cutoff is 3.5 or something. I know mine was around 3.75/3.8 depending on the year to get into the top 5%-3% of the class. (Cum laude was around 3.5 for top 10%.)

It definitely took 3.9+ (for the semester) for Dean's List since I had a 3.85 semester where I didn't qualify and disputed a grade from an A- to an A and then got the dean's list letter after it bumped me above 3.9 for that semester.

My school is admittedly guilty about grade inflation. This is why the LSAT is often weighted heavier as the "great equalizer".

Lindsey4468

New

Post by Lindsey4468 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:03 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
chem wrote:
Lindsey4468 wrote: Grew up as a ward of the court in the longest running child custody case in the history of the Dallas Court System, Worked exclusively on an innocence project in Dallas during undergrad which helped to exonerate two former inmates, Volunteered over 1,000 hours with the North Texas Food Bank and the Dallas Independent School District during my undergrad and helped to create a new program to stop childhood hunger (The President and CEO of the North Texas Food Bank wrote one of my rec letters), Started college at 16- graduated at 20 Magna Cum Laude, Officer in Delta Delta Delta Sorority, Secretary of Alpha Phi Sigma Criminology honor society, Member of Sigma Alpha Lambda, Golden Key, Lambda Alpha Epsilon, and Omicron Delta Kappa (all honor societies), Dean's list for the past four semesters, Worked two jobs during college, Recipient of the Who's Who award in undergrad presented for being the one of the most outstanding students in the department, etc....

Does. Not. Compute.
I thought the same thing too but I guess her UG's magna cutoff is 3.5 or something. I know mine was around 3.75/3.8 depending on the year to get into the top 5%-3% of the class. (Cum laude was around 3.5 for top 10% and summa was like a 3.9)

It definitely took 3.9+ (for the semester) for Dean's List since I had a 3.85 semester where I didn't qualify and disputed a grade from an A- to an A and then got the letter.

My school is admittedly guilty about grade inflation. This is why the LSAT is often weighted heavier as the "great equalizer".
Yes, my school's Magna cut off is a 3.5, however it has a stipulation that you must have a 3.75 for the past 60 hours taken at the school to receive it as well. And as for Dean's List, it is a 3.75 cut off (3 out for 4 semesters I had a 4.0 though). Also, I double majored. As for the honor societies, it was based on last 60 hours as well. The only reason I'm a 3.19 LSAC GPA is because I was part of a pilot program in which you would go for your junior and senior year of high school and take college classes in lieu of the high school ones for dual credit. We were supposed to graduate with our associates and high school diploma concurrently, but a glitch in their system enrolled me in 84 hours during my junior year of high school/freshman college and my grades suffered tremendously. 84 hours was absurd, and I wrote a very nice addendum to explain why the grades were so awful. Hope that clears a few things up!

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Post by Green Glass Windows » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Lindsey4468 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

Well, first of all you do have some really awesome softs, and I sincerely hope that the admissions committee looks at them closely. As far as the interviews go, I've always thought of them as kind of equivalent to a why Vanderbilt essay in terms of the weight it carries in your application. It can be helpful but only to a certain extent. Numbers, from what I've gathered, will almost always be the most important factor. Hopefully, though they really look at the rest of your application and take what the alum (I'm assuming) said about you to heart.

Best of luck to you! Hoping that black box is coming for you soon! (and hopefully to me as well) :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lindsey4468

New

Post by Lindsey4468 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Thank you! I appreciate the positivity. I'm sure your black box is on its way. Fed ex is probably holding all of them and laughing at our eagerness to receive them!

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:05 pm

I woke up to an email from my Dad, black box arrived today! Man I'm on a roll right now, UVA and the black box in a span of 1 day.

ricsllscir

Bronze

Post by ricsllscir » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:53 am

American_in_China wrote:I woke up to an email from my Dad, black box arrived today! Man I'm on a roll right now, UVA and the black box in a span of 1 day.
ahhh! congrats! Still haven't gotten my decision yet, but hoping it arrives today! Just in time for a night of celebration or forgetting, haha

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 am

Lindsey4468 wrote:Thank you! I appreciate the positivity. I'm sure your black box is on its way. Fed ex is probably holding all of them and laughing at our eagerness to receive them!

Fed Ex is probably playing warehouse soccer with them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”