2012 Lewis & Clark People Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: 2012 Lewis & Clark People

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:07 pm

lcstudent wrote:L&C is not in need of students that it should feel a need to change its disposition once the various committees have made their independent decisions for admission, scholarship amounts, etc. I'm sure they trust that any student it admits will have choices and you can make a decision based on where you will fit best.

It appears you give much credence to magazine rankings as a substitute for your own judgment about where you'll be happy. L&C fosters passionate and independent thinkers who know how to work hard for what matters most to them, and all have a solid sense of who they are and what they want to do. You should choose the place which fits your personality and ability to learn best so you can succeed independently of the school you attend, not because of the school you attend (including what you managed to get out of them). If money and ranking matter most to you, then your choice should already be clear based on those metrics.
You sound like a used car salesman trying to convince the guy making minimum wage that he should get the 5-year-old Corvette because he "needs to invest in his happiness," not think about whether or not he can make the payment. Not the best way to sell your school, man. There are compelling arguments for L&C. This is not one of them.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:14 pm

I applied in mid-December, but had to wait for December LSAT scores to come out, so didn't go complete until 1/8. How long is it taking to go from complete to in review, and then for a decision?

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:26 pm

There are still people, myself included, who applied the first week of October and don't have a decision.

horsesrule2006

New

Post by horsesrule2006 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:32 pm

un-vordox wrote:There are still people, myself included, who applied the first week of October and don't have a decision.
I'm pretty sure admission on a rolling basis is a joke.

CaptAdams

Bronze

Post by CaptAdams » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:59 pm

horsesrule2006 wrote:
un-vordox wrote:There are still people, myself included, who applied the first week of October and don't have a decision.
Indeed. I've been complete since Oct. 26 and I last updated Dec. 1.
Last edited by CaptAdams on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:00 pm

Ok, I guess I won't expect to hear anything back anytime soon :|

horsesrule2006

New

Post by horsesrule2006 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:14 pm

CaptAdams wrote:
horsesrule2006 wrote:
Indeed. I've been complete since Oct. 26 and I last updated Dec. 1.
That's funny...I'm the exact same dates.

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:17 pm

I went complete 10-3 and have an update sitting there from 12-13.

Ziq8209

New

Post by Ziq8209 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:54 pm

un-vordox wrote:I went complete 10-3 and have an update sitting there from 12-13.
I hadn't checked LC status checker since I read on here the decisions don't post, but I have a new update of 01/03/12. Hmm...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lcstudent

New

Post by lcstudent » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Nothing more to say. Best of luck to everyone.
Last edited by lcstudent on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palindemocrat

New

Post by palindemocrat » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Just thought I would add my two cents to this discussion:

I submitted my application on 11/29/2011; got a complete in the status checker on 1/5/2012 and received an acceptance packet on 1/14/2012. I was offered $10k in scholarship.

LSAT: 162
GPA: 3.2
-Some decent work and volunteer experience in the two years since I graduated college.

I am from Kansas City and love the Northwest, especially Portland. Waiting for decisions and offers from Colorado and Denver and American. Lewis and Clark will definitely be in the running, but for now it is still a waiting game. Although the $400 for a trip to Portland will be used.

Mattthebarbarian

New

Post by Mattthebarbarian » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm

lcstudent wrote:"...You sound like a used car salesman trying to convince the guy making minimum wage that he should get the 5-year-old Corvette because he "needs to invest in his happiness," not think about whether or not he can make the payment. Not the best way to sell your school, man. There are compelling arguments for L&C. This is not one of them."

This person sounds like they believe ad hominem attacks constitutes valid argumentation. I hope this person will revise that before his first law school exam. Without evidence, he or she also concluded I'm a "man." Lastly, I did not make an argument to sell the school--it was advice that one should attend where she fits best. If one thinks that's naive, one really ought to attend any place other than L&C.

Collegiality is valued at our school; ad hominems don't fit, nor does cynicism. Many law schools invite & enhance such approaches. It would be a better fit to attend elsewhere for those who love being aggressive for its own sake, and otherwise reject virtue and civility as merely quaint emanations of a bygone era. We aren't soft, but we aren't jerks, either. Do your research and reevaluate your options if you don't fit.
Is there a mandatory thesaurus req at L & C? Or are you trying to impress us?

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:56 am

lcstudent wrote:"...You sound like a used car salesman trying to convince the guy making minimum wage that he should get the 5-year-old Corvette because he "needs to invest in his happiness," not think about whether or not he can make the payment. Not the best way to sell your school, man. There are compelling arguments for L&C. This is not one of them."

This person sounds like they believe ad hominem attacks constitutes valid argumentation. I hope this person will revise that before his first law school exam. Without evidence, he or she also concluded I'm a "man." Lastly, I did not make an argument to sell the school--it was advice that one should attend where she fits best. If one thinks that's naive, one really ought to attend any place other than L&C.

Collegiality is valued at our school; ad hominems don't fit, nor does cynicism. Many law schools invite & enhance such approaches. It would be a better fit to attend elsewhere for those who love being aggressive for its own sake, and otherwise reject virtue and civility as merely quaint emanations of a bygone era. We aren't soft, but we aren't jerks, either. Do your research and reevaluate your options if you don't fit.
I'm assuming you're a student at L&C by your user name. If so, could you answer a few questions?

What year are you?
Are you doing the environmental track?
How do you like L&C?

It's one of my top choices so I'm hoping to hear some "firsthand" testimony from students. I'll be at the ASW in March to check out L&C. Thanks in advance. :P 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:09 am

Your definition of ad hominem is faulty. I didn't insult you; I used a metaphor to describe how your post came across.

You'll be happy to hear I won't be attending L&C. But I hope, for the sake of the nice people in this thread who may, that you actually are collegial and civil in person. You know, the opposite of your online personality. (now that actually is an insult. I threw that in there to show you the difference.)

lcstudent

New

Post by lcstudent » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:04 am

Nothing more to say. Best of luck to everyone.
Last edited by lcstudent on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:54 am

lcstudent wrote:Thank you, Ms. Rat, that's wonderful news. I think you'll fit in just fine in Chicago, and I hope your aggression will be directed in efforts toward good things instead of against your future colleagues. If your profile is accurate and you're a woman, just remember we aren't our parents' generation and women don't have to be like men to succeed. Really.
You really are making the school look bad. This is the first time I have ever seen a current student come into a thread and bash the prospective students. What the hell is wrong with you?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:39 am

neeko wrote:
lcstudent wrote:Thank you, Ms. Rat, that's wonderful news. I think you'll fit in just fine in Chicago, and I hope your aggression will be directed in efforts toward good things instead of against your future colleagues. If your profile is accurate and you're a woman, just remember we aren't our parents' generation and women don't have to be like men to succeed. Really.
You really are making the school look bad. This is the first time I have ever seen a current student come into a thread and bash the prospective students. What the hell is wrong with you?
+1 makes school look bad and sexist at the same time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:54 am

sunynp wrote: You really are making the school look bad. This is the first time I have ever seen a current student come into a thread and bash the prospective students. What the hell is wrong with you?
+1. L&C was by far my top pick, but this has really put a bad taste in my mouth.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:28 am

llachans wrote:
sunynp wrote: You really are making the school look bad. This is the first time I have ever seen a current student come into a thread and bash the prospective students. What the hell is wrong with you?
+1. L&C was by far my top pick, but this has really put a bad taste in my mouth.
Thanks, guys. Don't worry too much about this lcstudent person; I'm sure every school's got ONE. It's just unfortunate that L&C's resident malcontent decided to go off here.
Choose your school balancing all factors like a grown-up, and I'm sure you'll all make the best choices for yourselves. 8)

ckelly85

New

Post by ckelly85 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:55 am

I've actually had the opposite experience. I was contacted by a current 1L to see if I have any questions about the school. He seemed very down to earth and welcoming. It is definitely nice for a school to reach out and try to make you feel more comfortable with the admissions process.

In defense of the current student, if you are reading the TLS acceptance/denial forums, it can be difficult to see a school you attend and have become attached to be discussed in a similar terms to a shelf product (ie compared seemingly trivial ways such as rank/cost etc). Just how the admissions thing goes though, I guess.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:04 pm

ckelly85 wrote:I've actually had the opposite experience. I was contacted by a current 1L to see if I have any questions about the school. He seemed very down to earth and welcoming. It is definitely nice for a school to reach out and try to make you feel more comfortable with the admissions process.

In defense of the current student, if you are reading the TLS acceptance/denial forums, it can be difficult to see a school you attend and have become attached to be discussed in a similar terms to a shelf product (ie compared seemingly trivial ways such as rank/cost etc). Just how the admissions thing goes though, I guess.
If any student of any current school thinks that cost is a "trivial" factor when choosing a law school, they're either delusional or wealthy enough to disregard six figures as a consideration.

But I agree on the first part: everyone I met in my visits to L&C last cycle was very pleasant and friendly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kid-a

New

Post by kid-a » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:45 pm

I’m a Lewis & Clark student myself & I wanted to maybe offer a different view. I think y'all deserve the same positive experience I had when I chose L&C back and I’m happy to answer a few questions if there are any. And just to say, I don't speak with authority, just someone who's willing to talk.

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:01 pm

kid-a wrote:I’m a Lewis & Clark student myself & I wanted to maybe offer a different view. I think y'all deserve the same positive experience I had when I chose L&C back and I’m happy to answer a few questions if there are any. And just to say, I don't speak with authority, just someone who's willing to talk.
What year are you?
Are you doing the environmental track?
How do you like L&C?
How are your classes and classmates?
How are the job prospects looking?

Thanks for your willingness to share info :)

horsesrule2006

New

Post by horsesrule2006 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:40 pm

lcstudent wrote:Nothing more to say. Best of luck to everyone.

Thank goodness!

horsesrule2006

New

Post by horsesrule2006 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:45 pm

kid-a wrote:I’m a Lewis & Clark student myself & I wanted to maybe offer a different view. I think y'all deserve the same positive experience I had when I chose L&C back and I’m happy to answer a few questions if there are any. And just to say, I don't speak with authority, just someone who's willing to talk.
I'm interested equally in L&C and UO. From what I have heard both have great environmental law programs. UO is cheaper, which is nice, but L&C is higher up on the top schools list. So here is my question: in your opinion or from what you've heard, how much does the rank of the school matter in terms of getting a job? (And I mean small differences in the ranking. Obviously Harvard vs somewhere small matters.)
THanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”