2012 Lewis & Clark People Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
un-vordox

Bronze

Re: 2012 Lewis & Clark People

Post by un-vordox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Well, you could say that, but search the forum for the Hastings rejection email. That one is really bad.

I seriously am going to withdraw from every school unless I fall in love with Denver or Seattle. Even then, I will probably retake and reapply next year.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm withdrawing from L&C for this cycle. Good luck to everyone else.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:34 pm

msu1077 wrote: This. Seriously...this statement actually just said... "You don't suck quite bad enough for us to completely terminate the possibility of you paying us $100,000 for your education, because we are OBVIOUSLY not giving you any scholarship money...so, if all the people we deemed good enough to offer a seat to say no, then maybe we'll hold our nose and look at the possibility of offering you a spot in our class to pay us $100k."

Seriously the most pretencious piece of shit email I've ever read.
Lol... couldn't agree more. Its a filthy hippie school anyway... not certain I couldh handle fraternizing with them for 3 years. We have multiple attorneys at our firm that graduated from U of Oregon, and everyone of them hates L&C merely because of the scum that rolls out of there.

CaptAdams

Bronze

Post by CaptAdams » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:11 pm

It actually felt good to send that email... While I was very nice, I no longer have to worry about trying to get to Portland, while at the same time trying to schedule school/work days off to visit other schools. Time is wasting and waiting until April/May to get an "eh... Pass..." is bullshit. Also, my wife is not sold that the dream of the 90's is alive in Portland.

msu1077

Bronze

Post by msu1077 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Last edited by msu1077 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:43 pm

CaptAdams wrote:It actually felt good to send that email... While I was very nice, I no longer have to worry about trying to get to Portland, while at the same time trying to schedule school/work days off to visit other schools. Time is wasting and waiting until April/May to get an "eh... Pass..." is bullshit. Also, my wife is not sold that the dream of the 90's is alive in Portland.
Haha I love it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

divtheshin

New

Post by divtheshin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Got the same e-mail. I am going to try to hang on and send a LOCI, as Lewis and Clark is/was my first choice. Any suggestions on who to address the letter to? The Assistant Dean of Admissions? To the whole admissions committee?

Should I bother scheduling a tour before sending the letter? I live in Portland and it wouldn't be hard to do. Just seems weird to have to tour a school and see how great it is when you're almost sure you will be rejected.

msu1077

Bronze

Post by msu1077 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:39 pm

Last edited by msu1077 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corvid

New

Post by corvid » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:35 am

Glory be to hypnotoad, accepted. Not sure when I will hear on money though.

divtheshin

New

Post by divtheshin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:16 am

msu - I hear what you're saying. Ideally I'd like to stay and practice on Oregon, hopefully in the Portland metro area, which is why I was shooting for Lewis and Clark. However, I am sure that UofO and Willamette would both be fine schools for becoming a lawyer in Oregon. I just really wanted Lewis and Clark for it's rank and location.

I went to undergraduate at University of Oregon, and I would still be ecstatic to get accepted to their law school. Will have to just wait and see now that Lewis and Clark is out of my equation for this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:46 am

msu1077 wrote:
divtheshin wrote:Got the same e-mail. I am going to try to hang on and send a LOCI, as Lewis and Clark is/was my first choice. Any suggestions on who to address the letter to? The Assistant Dean of Admissions? To the whole admissions committee?

Should I bother scheduling a tour before sending the letter? I live in Portland and it wouldn't be hard to do. Just seems weird to have to tour a school and see how great it is when you're almost sure you will be rejected.
I have to be honest. I toured the school a few months ago, and I don't really see why everyone is so excited about it. All of the classrooms appear to be straight out of the 1970s. There are absolutely no windows in any of the classrooms, the entire campus reeks of smoke and everywhere you look there is concrete. I understand that they are the only law school in Portland and therefore it is probably fair to say they have the inside track as far as Portland jobs; however, when we went by the career services center 95% of the job postings that I read (and I read them all) were outside the city, if not outside the state.

I think it is fair to say that you could personally know and address your letter to "our lord and savior" and it wouldn't make a difference. It is clear to me that the school is gunning for a top-50 ranking and what matters to them is your numbers. I wish you luck, but as someone who is looking to pursue a public interest job in Portland or elsewhere in Oregon, I for one, will not give L&C the satisfaction of being continually interested in their school.

Of course, I could just be bitter from receiving their non-WL, WL email. So, take what I say with a grain of salt :roll:
For those who haven't had a chance to tour it yet...there are four classrooms that were built in the 70's and don't have windows. All the other classrooms were built more recently and have windows, lol. Maybe they only showed you the four on your tour, as they are the closest to the administrative office ;)

There is now one designated smoking area, and it's out in the parking lot, and you absolutely cannot smoke anywhere else on campus, and they are flippin SERIOUS about it. There used to be an 'interim' one nearer the buildings while they were adding safety lighting to the parking lot DSA, maybe you had the misfortune to visit then, but I can assure you that the entire campus does not remotely reek of smoke. If you did visit then, it's unfortunate, they are actually quite sensitive to student's health needs here, and moved the DSA out to the faculty parking lot because of a few students with severe smoke allergies.

They like diverse students and they LOOOVE softs, so if you have a strong interest I would say that writing a letter might help.

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:23 pm

un-vordox wrote:Well, you could say that, but search the forum for the Hastings rejection email. That one is really bad.
I have searched all over the forums for this rejection from Hastings but can't find it. Can you share a link?

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:28 pm

holden147 wrote:
un-vordox wrote:Well, you could say that, but search the forum for the Hastings rejection email. That one is really bad.
I have searched all over the forums for this rejection from Hastings but can't find it. Can you share a link?
+1

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Received a large envelope containing a Practical Skills booklet today. The letter is dated January 2012. Got really excited for a minute.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patpa

New

Post by patpa » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Alright. Accepted. Good. But that was a week ago and I haven't recieved the "we gave out all our money" letter yet. Does that mean scholly info is on the way or am I looking at sticker? L&C was my top choice but it'll be hard to justify moving out to portland and all at full price.

kid-a

New

Post by kid-a » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:52 pm

sidhesadie wrote:
msu1077 wrote:
divtheshin wrote:Got the same e-mail. I am going to try to hang on and send a LOCI, as Lewis and Clark is/was my first choice. Any suggestions on who to address the letter to? The Assistant Dean of Admissions? To the whole admissions committee?

I have to be honest. I toured the school a few months ago, and I don't really see why everyone is so excited about it. All of the classrooms appear to be straight out of the 1970s. There are absolutely no windows in any of the classrooms, the entire campus reeks of smoke and everywhere you look there is concrete. I understand that they are the only law school in Portland and therefore it is probably fair to say they have the inside track as far as Portland jobs; however, when we went by the career services center 95% of the job postings that I read (and I read them all) were outside the city, if not outside the state.

I think it is fair to say that you could personally know and address your letter to "our lord and savior" and it wouldn't make a difference. It is clear to me that the school is gunning for a top-50 ranking and what matters to them is your numbers. I wish you luck, but as someone who is looking to pursue a public interest job in Portland or elsewhere in Oregon, I for one, will not give L&C the satisfaction of being continually interested in their school.

Of course, I could just be bitter from receiving their non-WL, WL email. So, take what I say with a grain of salt :roll:
For those who haven't had a chance to tour it yet...there are four classrooms that were built in the 70's and don't have windows. All the other classrooms were built more recently and have windows, lol. Maybe they only showed you the four on your tour, as they are the closest to the administrative office ;)

There is now one designated smoking area, and it's out in the parking lot, and you absolutely cannot smoke anywhere else on campus, and they are flippin SERIOUS about it. There used to be an 'interim' one nearer the buildings while they were adding safety lighting to the parking lot DSA, maybe you had the misfortune to visit then, but I can assure you that the entire campus does not remotely reek of smoke. If you did visit then, it's unfortunate, they are actually quite sensitive to student's health needs here, and moved the DSA out to the faculty parking lot because of a few students with severe smoke allergies.

They like diverse students and they LOOOVE softs, so if you have a strong interest I would say that writing a letter might help.
I felt a need to say a few words as well because I want you guys to feel confident and at ease to the extent I can provide more information.

1. In terms of a LOCI or other supplementary information: do help the decision makers get to know you better, as well as your enthusiasm for the school and what makes you a good fit. It may not make up for numbers in some respects, but if you're in the middle, it can be persuasive. Never forget you're talking to people who like to be persuaded, so be compelling.

2. Wood Hall was dedicated in 2006 by none other than Justice Scalia (I'm sure that was fun), so that's not from the 1970's. The Bunker is, however, and contains the largest classrooms. It's not uncomfortable, and you can hear the lecturers from the back. It's a little annoying when students up front speak softly, but that's probably true elsewhere.

Smaller classrooms are all in Wood Hall, and they're really nice and modern; most upper division courses are held there, as well as some 1L classes (I had Ks and LRW there, for example). No smoking allowed.

Speaking of which, the campus has been taking steps to make the campus closer to smoke-free by designating spots for smokers more out of the way, but for the smokers in our midst, the policies are being made in conjunction with students (we formed a committee, of course).

3. L&C Career Services Office makes efforts to dominate the legal market in Oregon. The other schools are at a disadvantage. However, I think it's unfair to say the school is "gunning" for rankings, because neither the staff nor the students are obsessed about rankings. Mostly people are talking about what's happening in class or their own lives, less about perceptions, I guess. When we had our last "Cuisine with the Deans" event, someone asked about how we can enhance our school's rep, and one of the deans said to go out and do great things in places where they don't know us as well.

And to put ranking in perspective, it's a little like assigning a number value to your emotions, and then ranking them. It's not quite the science people want to think it is. If you've ever read up on how they do it, surveys go something like this:
"Hi, legal professional, how you do feel about X school?"
"Well, they give me warm fuzzies."
"Can you put a number on that?"
"Sure. 42. It's the answer to the universe, after all, and I think they've got it."
"Well, what about Y school?"
"Um, sure. They give me gas when I think about them."
"Number, please?"
"Sure--24. Because it's 42 in reverse, you see. I'm a law guy, I can't do math anyway. And it's lower than 42, and it's nonzero. Plus, they have a decent library."
"Great! Thanks. We'll put that in the April issue! ...And don't worry about the math, we have our own."
So it goes...

Hope that's helpful. And I hope you'll give Admissions time to review your file, because the committee making the decision is comprised of people who are doing a lot of other things. I think all schools are like that, so the decision makers aren't thinking or feeling anything until they get a chance to take a serious look at your file. If you withdraw early, they never get that chance.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Acceptance packet in the mail today. No scholarship money, just the 'if you want to be re-evaluated' statement. *sigh*

KibblesnBitts

Bronze

Post by KibblesnBitts » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:38 pm

benburns214 wrote:
holden147 wrote:
+1
+2

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

msu1077

Bronze

Post by msu1077 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:36 pm

Last edited by msu1077 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:40 pm

msu1077 wrote:
kid-a wrote:3. L&C Career Services Office makes efforts to dominate the legal market in Oregon. The other schools are at a disadvantage. However, I think it's unfair to say the school is "gunning" for rankings, because neither the staff nor the students are obsessed about rankings. Mostly people are talking about what's happening in class or their own lives, less about perceptions, I guess. When we had our last "Cuisine with the Deans" event, someone asked about how we can enhance our school's rep, and one of the deans said to go out and do great things in places where they don't know us as well.
Are you sure they didn't tell you to make sure you spent an inordinate amount of time on TLS defending your school on the admissions thread? :roll:

ETA: I'm not here to pick a fight and I think it's admirable that you want to defend your school...just find it weird that you are always on this thread after being accepted. Don't they have an entire section of forums for people that want to talk about their school?
C'mon, now. Plenty of the applicants threads have former applicants/current students in them.

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:58 pm

I seriously am going to withdraw from every school unless I fall in love with Denver or Seattle. Even then, I will probably retake and reapply next year.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm withdrawing from L&C for this cycle. Good luck to everyone else.
Stick it out. I am going to withdraw soon, as my cycle turned out better than I imagined. I'm hanging on for scholarship negotiation purposes, and I'm sure many others are also. Seats will free up.

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Campagnolo wrote:

Stick it out. I am going to withdraw soon, as my cycle turned out better than I imagined. I'm hanging on for scholarship negotiation purposes, and I'm sure many others are also. Seats will free up.
Yeah, I'm hesitating. Still visiting next weekend. It makes a lot of sense in my personal life to wait another year though, plus I know I can get a better LSAT.
KibblesnBitts wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
holden147 wrote:
+1
+2
I can't find it anymore either. I feel like it was posted in the Ding Bar early in the cycle (posibly a WL not Reject), but I'm not certain. It definitely left an impression though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

onedavetoomany

Bronze

Post by onedavetoomany » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:15 pm

lawlaw87 wrote:
onedavetoomany wrote:
lawlaw87 wrote:
onedavetoomany wrote:Updated to my third complete status date this afternoon. Is a decision imminent?
Yes, soon after the 3rd update you'll get receive a decision! try to see if you can log in as an admitted student. Could you tell me the dates of your updates please.
Complete: 1/13, 1/27, 2/8

Can't login to the admitted students page. I'll check again tomorrow.

Also, the Requirements section was removed today.
Thats a very good sign, yeah it might take a couple of days before you can log in!
I just logged in to the admitted students page! I had my last status change last Wednesday. Good luck everyone!

kmokeefe

Bronze

Post by kmokeefe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Got my acceptance package last week for the part-time program. I decided to email them asking for scholarship reconsideration. As much as I'd love to attend, I just can't afford to go otherwise.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:00 pm

kmokeefe wrote:Got my acceptance package last week for the part-time program. I decided to email them asking for scholarship reconsideration. As much as I'd love to attend, I just can't afford to go otherwise.
It's called loans. Do you think anyone can "afford" to go to Med or Law school? No... you take out loans. Scholarships are nice, but dont make them your deciding factor. Just a word of advice from someone who is probably in no position to be giving advice.

kmokeefe

Bronze

Post by kmokeefe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:02 pm

benburns214 wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:Got my acceptance package last week for the part-time program. I decided to email them asking for scholarship reconsideration. As much as I'd love to attend, I just can't afford to go otherwise.
It's called loans. Do you think anyone can "afford" to go to Med or Law school? No... you take out loans. Scholarships are nice, but dont make them your deciding factor. Just a word of advice from someone who is probably in no position to be giving advice.
Maybe I have the wrong impression of law school, but I've always been told that paying sticker to go to a school with absolutely no guarantee of a job after graduation to pay off all of those loans is a horrible idea.

Does that mean my goal is to not have any loans? No, that would be impossible unless I had rich parents. But it isn't my goal to have 120k in loans after graduating, either.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”