2012 Lewis & Clark People Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MTal

Silver

Re: 2012 Lewis & Clark People

Post by MTal » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:57 pm

I am posting in this thread in order to encourage all potential applicants to attend this school.

kmokeefe

Bronze

Post by kmokeefe » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:41 pm

MTal wrote:I am posting in this thread in order to encourage all potential applicants to attend this school.
If you can get L&C to give me a little money I'll be there in a heartbeat ;]

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:50 pm

MTal wrote:I am posting in this thread in order to encourage all potential applicants to attend this school.
well, this is out of character. care to elaborate?

CaptAdams

Bronze

Post by CaptAdams » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:56 pm

charliep wrote:
well, this is out of character. care to elaborate?
He's posting this on all schools that appear to be outside the top tier...

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:20 pm

kmokeefe wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:
hmmmm I can't remember if I said I was interested in both or not, but under program time on my status check it says evening which is part-time, and I was admitted to the part-time program. Does yours say anything specific in that spot on the status check?
Mine says Day at the moment, but I wonder if that might change in the next few days. I remember that I put my preference as day but that I would accept part-time on the part of the application where it asked. Also, my requirements list is blank as well.
Yeah I think you're pretty much in, the requirements list disappeared for me and I was able to log in to the site and I got a letter about a week later.

If you still aren't sure what program you were admitted to, it said in my acceptance letter which one I was admitted for. Congratulations!
I'll definitely update once I get the letter, but thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kmokeefe

Bronze

Post by kmokeefe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Just got an email back from admissions saying what I basically expected, that they were out of money and I could be added to a waitlist. I said sure, the chance is worth the wait for me.

Also, they made it out like chances are slim of actually getting money this way. Do they really expect that many people not to withdraw (some of these people who got big $$ to L&C also got accepted to much higher ranked schools on LSN) or do they give out more money than they actually have to give out so there's none leftover after people withdraw?

proxy

New

Post by proxy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:36 am

kmokeefe wrote:Just got an email back from admissions saying what I basically expected, that they were out of money and I could be added to a waitlist. I said sure, the chance is worth the wait for me.

Also, they made it out like chances are slim of actually getting money this way. Do they really expect that many people not to withdraw (some of these people who got big $$ to L&C also got accepted to much higher ranked schools on LSN) or do they give out more money than they actually have to give out so there's none leftover after people withdraw?
i think it could go either way. people who are getting money at L&C may not be getting money from higher ranked schools. they wouldn't give out more than they have. i think the tone of the email you got suggests that if the prospectives with big numbers don't bite, then the money will either go to someone else or be split up among the rest. any idea how many people pay sticker?

kmokeefe

Bronze

Post by kmokeefe » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:51 pm

proxy wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:Just got an email back from admissions saying what I basically expected, that they were out of money and I could be added to a waitlist. I said sure, the chance is worth the wait for me.

i think it could go either way. people who are getting money at L&C may not be getting money from higher ranked schools. they wouldn't give out more than they have. i think the tone of the email you got suggests that if the prospectives with big numbers don't bite, then the money will either go to someone else or be split up among the rest. any idea how many people pay sticker?
She said the leftover money was prioritized in this way, "first to people who would have received funding initially if we had funds at the time their application was reviewed; second, to others who ask for funding, but maybe didn't qualify initially; third, to people who already received a scholarship, but are asking for an increase."

She placed emphasis about three different times on getting money this way as a rare chance that doesn't normally happen.

I'm going to guess that there are probably a lot of people willing to pay sticker to go here, but I'm not one of them.

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Just got back from my big PNW visit. Here's what it determined for me:

1) I'm probably still going to re-take and re-apply next year
2) I withdrew from Seattle U
3) L&C is still my #1 even though I'm on hold there, and I'm not withdrawing yet
4) Willamette is still a back-up in case I move to PDX for non-law school reasons and don't eventually get into L&C
5) Denver was not ruled out

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KibblesnBitts

Bronze

Post by KibblesnBitts » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:27 pm

un-vordox wrote:Just got back from my big PNW visit. Here's what it determined for me:

3) L&C is still my #1 even though I'm on hold there, and I'm not withdrawing yet
4) Willamette is still a back-up in case I move to PDX for non-law school reasons and don't eventually get into L&C
If you don't mind me asking, what did you like about L&C when you visited?

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:12 pm

"Held" today. Not sure if that is better or worse than a waitlist.

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:18 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:"Held" today. Not sure if that is better or worse than a waitlist.
Same. Really confused by it, but I guess that's what happens to splitters. :roll:

lawlaw87

New

Post by lawlaw87 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 pm

chill wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:"Held" today. Not sure if that is better or worse than a waitlist.
Same. Really confused by it, but I guess that's what happens to splitters. :roll:
Same here, after all this wait!!! :?

"The admissions committee has completed its review of your application, but has not yet made a decision. Your file is still active and we will continue to keep it under consideration. In late April or early May, we will have a clearer idea of how many seats are still available, if any. If we have additional space in the class, we will do a second review of your file and we may extend an offer of admission to you at that time. If you are not admitted after a second review, your file may be denied or added to a waitlist. Either way, we will be in touch with you."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawlaw87

New

Post by lawlaw87 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Does anyone know the difference of being held vs. wait-listed? (which one is better?)

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:58 pm

lawlaw87 wrote:Does anyone know the difference of being held vs. wait-listed? (which one is better?)
held is better

lawlaw87

New

Post by lawlaw87 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 pm

charliep wrote:
lawlaw87 wrote:Does anyone know the difference of being held vs. wait-listed? (which one is better?)
held is better

thanks, that makes me feel much better :D

lawapp12

New

Post by lawapp12 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:29 pm

I got held too. I just don't like how the email is like "you're not bad...you're just not good either. Maybe in a little while you'll fit better :)."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

der_saeufer

New

Post by der_saeufer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:37 pm

kmokeefe wrote: She said the leftover money was prioritized in this way, "first to people who would have received funding initially if we had funds at the time their application was reviewed; second, to others who ask for funding, but maybe didn't qualify initially; third, to people who already received a scholarship, but are asking for an increase."

She placed emphasis about three different times on getting money this way as a rare chance that doesn't normally happen.

I'm going to guess that there are probably a lot of people willing to pay sticker to go here, but I'm not one of them.
I have to wonder about this; I see people posting on here who got the "no money left" letter before I got my admit with $$. It wasn't much $$ though, and I'm not hellbent on PDX, so I'll probably be withdrawing. I can't be the only one.

kmokeefe

Bronze

Post by kmokeefe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 am

der_saeufer wrote:
kmokeefe wrote: She said the leftover money was prioritized in this way, "first to people who would have received funding initially if we had funds at the time their application was reviewed; second, to others who ask for funding, but maybe didn't qualify initially; third, to people who already received a scholarship, but are asking for an increase."

I have to wonder about this; I see people posting on here who got the "no money left" letter before I got my admit with $$. It wasn't much $$ though, and I'm not hellbent on PDX, so I'll probably be withdrawing. I can't be the only one.
Yup, and some people got the "no money left" letter that let them know they could be reconsidered in April, whereas my letter didn't mention anything about money or being able to be reconsidered for money. Maybe this is conspiracy theorist sounding of me but, I think they already have picked out who they want to give any excess money to (i mean there's going to be at least SOME people withdrawing, already four who got scholarships on LSN) and that's why there was a lot of emphasis on the fact that I shouldn't expect anything.

I'm not hellbent on PDX either. It was a nice thought, but not nice enough for over 100k in debt.

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:10 am

schools give out more money than they have in anticipation of withdrawals

kmokeefe

Bronze

Post by kmokeefe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:18 am

charliep wrote:schools give out more money than they have in anticipation of withdrawals
Yeah, I considered that possibility but didn't definitively know for a fact whether they would do something like this or not. Because in that case, if more people than expected committed to going, then they would be in trouble.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:21 am

kmokeefe wrote:
charliep wrote:schools give out more money than they have in anticipation of withdrawals
Yeah, I considered that possibility but didn't definitively know for a fact whether they would do something like this or not. Because in that case, if more people than expected committed to going, then they would be in trouble.
yeah, but they actuaries and shit to limit that risk

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:18 pm

Received an application waiver in the mail and decided to apply. The wait begins...

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:05 pm

KibblesnBitts wrote:
un-vordox wrote:Just got back from my big PNW visit. Here's what it determined for me:

Sorry it took me a while to reply to this.

First of all, I'm getting married this summer and my fiance gets a lot of say in where we will move. She likes PDX and Denver, and so do I, so that is a big factor.

Since I have a shitty undergrad GPA, my focus is on getting into a school that dominates its own legal market for business/real estate law (I'm a working real estate professional). The PDX market might be tough, but L&C dominates it. It's the only school I visited where no one wavered when I asked about job prospects. Everyone knows the economy sucks, but L&C gives you the best chance at success in Oregon. It's also in the best location for networking (these 2 things aren't mutually exclusive).

The economy aside, if you want a business related legal job in Oregon, your best chance is at L&C, and all of my conversations with people in the PNW confirmed that. Willamette and Seattle seem OK for government jobs, but I really don't want to end up in PI or working for the govt. My future wife is a social worker, so I have to be the one to make money if we're ever going to have any.

Lastly, all the mailings that L&C sends out are spot on. The place really does look like a travel destination. I'm sold on the location, regional connections, and the idea of living in that atmosphere. Now I just need to put some serious effort into this retake and try not to pay sticker if I end up moving to PDX instead of Denver.

BlazersTime

Bronze

Post by BlazersTime » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:28 am

un-vordox wrote:
KibblesnBitts wrote:

Sorry it took me a while to reply to this.

First of all, I'm getting married this summer and my fiance gets a lot of say in where we will move. She likes PDX and Denver, and so do I, so that is a big factor.

Since I have a shitty undergrad GPA, my focus is on getting into a school that dominates its own legal market for business/real estate law (I'm a working real estate professional). The PDX market might be tough, but L&C dominates it. It's the only school I visited where no one wavered when I asked about job prospects. Everyone knows the economy sucks, but L&C gives you the best chance at success in Oregon. It's also in the best location for networking (these 2 things aren't mutually exclusive).

The economy aside, if you want a business related legal job in Oregon, your best chance is at L&C, and all of my conversations with people in the PNW confirmed that. Willamette and Seattle seem OK for government jobs, but I really don't want to end up in PI or working for the govt. My future wife is a social worker, so I have to be the one to make money if we're ever going to have any.

Lastly, all the mailings that L&C sends out are spot on. The place really does look like a travel destination. I'm sold on the location, regional connections, and the idea of living in that atmosphere. Now I just need to put some serious effort into this retake and try not to pay sticker if I end up moving to PDX instead of Denver.
This was really helpful thank you! I thought the same thing about Seattle U when I visited there last weekend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”