Loyola LA 2012 applicants!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
splitbrain

Re: Loyola LA 2012 applicants!

Postby splitbrain » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:I visited the campus last week and didn't really like it. I like a lot of the programs, concentrations, and the faculty seems great but I just had a hard time seeing myself spending three years there. I might go back for an admitted students event as they did offer me a nice scholarship so we'll see.

Would you mind listing some specifics as to what you did not like? Was it just the general vibe?

I get the feeling that the student body is significantly stressed (at above average levels ITE, is what I mean) and it's concerning me as a potential student.

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:46 pm

splitbrain wrote:
Beachbum89 wrote:I visited the campus last week and didn't really like it. I like a lot of the programs, concentrations, and the faculty seems great but I just had a hard time seeing myself spending three years there. I might go back for an admitted students event as they did offer me a nice scholarship so we'll see.

Would you mind listing some specifics as to what you did not like? Was it just the general vibe?

I get the feeling that the student body is significantly stressed (at above average levels ITE, is what I mean) and it's concerning me as a potential student.

Sure. I didn't like the modern design of the campus or the location in downtown LA (it's kind of in a bad area of downtown). It just didn't have any kind of campus feel which is something I'm looking for. And not that it means anything about the school but the tour guide was terrible compared to the tour guides I've had at other law schools. I just had a hard time envisioning myself as a student there which is something I've been able to do at the two other schools I've visited so far.

I was definitely impressed with their new concentration program and their proximity to downtown which is a big plus as far as being close to law firms and clinical opportunities. I haven't ruled Loyola out yet but I arrived on campus with it being one of my top choices out of where I've gotten in so far and I left with it going down a few notches on my list.

vto35

Postby vto35 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:
splitbrain wrote:

Sure. I didn't like the modern design of the campus or the location in downtown LA (it's kind of in a bad area of downtown). It just didn't have any kind of campus feel which is something I'm looking for. And not that it means anything about the school but the tour guide was terrible compared to the tour guides I've had at other law schools. I just had a hard time envisioning myself as a student there which is something I've been able to do at the two other schools I've visited so far.

I was definitely impressed with their new concentration program and their proximity to downtown which is a big plus as far as being close to law firms and clinical opportunities. I haven't ruled Loyola out yet but I arrived on campus with it being one of my top choices out of where I've gotten in so far and I left with it going down a few notches on my list.

I live in the area - it's not a bad area, it's just like any other downtown urban setting with a dense population of a lot of different types of people.

leagle1

Postby leagle1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:25 am

Just got into the part time program with $48k. Anyone else doing part time evening? Seems like less $$ than the full time day people are getting.

PizzaShrapnel

Postby PizzaShrapnel » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Loyola, the suspense is killing me. I really, really don't feel like moving out of the area... Soo, just let me in already, k?? Thanks.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:38 pm

PizzaShrapnel wrote:Loyola, the suspense is killing me. I really, really don't feel like moving out of the area... Soo, just let me in already, k?? Thanks.

:(

Loyola y u no love us?

Phightins

Postby Phightins » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:52 pm

leagle1 wrote:Just got into the part time program with $48k. Anyone else doing part time evening? Seems like less $$ than the full time day people are getting.

Congrats! I'm applying for PT as well since I work downtown. When did you apply/go complete? It's good to hear that there's activity on PT apps.

mkat27

Postby mkat27 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:01 pm

leagle1 wrote:Just got into the part time program with $48k. Anyone else doing part time evening? Seems like less $$ than the full time day people are getting.

PT applicant here. As someone else has asked earlier, I would like to know when you applied etc! Thanks and congrats!

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:
splitbrain wrote:

Sure. I didn't like the modern design of the campus or the location in downtown LA (it's kind of in a bad area of downtown).

As an uncivilized beach bum who appears to be afraid of brown people, I am sure you will prefer Pepperdine.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Beachbum89 wrote:
splitbrain wrote:

Sure. I didn't like the modern design of the campus or the location in downtown LA (it's kind of in a bad area of downtown).

As an uncivilized beach bum who appears to be afraid of brown people, I am sure you will prefer Pepperdine.

Oh snap.

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Beachbum89 wrote:
splitbrain wrote:

I'd still take Loyola over Pepperdine. Nothing against brown people, I just didn't really care for the campus or surrounding area. More so the campus, I want a law school with a campus vibe and it didn't seem like Loyola had one.

buddyluv545

Postby buddyluv545 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:46 pm

splitbrain wrote:

What do you mean significantly stressed?! That stresses me out....
(this is a real question)

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 pm

buddyluv545 wrote:
splitbrain wrote:

What do you mean significantly stressed?! That stresses me out....
(this is a real question)

I'd like to know, too; LLS 2L here and my classmates seem about as stressed as my friends at other law schools. I know ONE person who is a legitimate, outwardly nervous wreck (like the person on the plane when you're taxiing that needs a paper bag and a xanax.)

That is not to say people aren't nervous, but who isn't? This economy sucks.

leagle1

Postby leagle1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:58 am

Phightins wrote:

Congrats! I'm applying for PT as well since I work downtown. When did you apply/go complete? It's good to hear that there's activity on PT apps.

I applied 11/28, accepted about a week ago.

mkat27

Postby mkat27 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Anyone applied ED and got deferred? I applied PT and ED, deferred in Dec, so I've been waiting to hear back from them since Oct :( if they don't want me I wish they would just give me the letter so I could move on...

dallas12

Postby dallas12 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:58 pm

has anyone gotten the Public Interest Scholarship>

trojankid09

Postby trojankid09 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16 pm

ahhh a decision was made on my app yesterday! so nervous.

i submitted my app towards the end of the first week of january...so they made the decision relatively quickly...does that mean anything? :/

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:52 pm

trojankid09 wrote:ahhh a decision was made on my app yesterday! so nervous.

i submitted my app towards the end of the first week of january...so they made the decision relatively quickly...does that mean anything? :/

I have no idea if it means something but that IS really fast for Loyola. Good luck!!!

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:15 am

I'm getting quite nervous. I applied over a month ago and aside from the notification from LSAC that Loyola requested my information and it was sent, I've heard nothing. Glad to see everyone on here took a long time too. Is it worth pestering admissions with an email? I've received acceptances, rejections and wait-lists all while nothing from LMU.

ensign85

Postby ensign85 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:24 am

dproduct wrote:I'm getting quite nervous. I applied over a month ago and aside from the notification from LSAC that Loyola requested my information and it was sent, I've heard nothing. Glad to see everyone on here took a long time too. Is it worth pestering admissions with an email? I've received acceptances, rejections and wait-lists all while nothing from LMU.

I applied in November. It's still early, so sit tight.

buddyluv545

Postby buddyluv545 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:28 pm

THIS WEEK, this week we will all see "Decision Rendered" on our status page. I feel it in my bones... or maybe I just ate too much McDonald's today.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:34 pm

dproduct wrote:I'm getting quite nervous. I applied over a month ago and aside from the notification from LSAC that Loyola requested my information and it was sent, I've heard nothing. Glad to see everyone on here took a long time too. Is it worth pestering admissions with an email? I've received acceptances, rejections and wait-lists all while nothing from LMU.

Loyola is notoriously slow so you shouldn't be worried yet. You got your status checker right?

I emailed them an explanation for my two LSAT scores last week and haven't gotten a reply. Hopefully they received it! Lol.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:33 pm

Checking into this thread. Looks like they take awhile to get status checkers out, which is probably good for me since I am addicted to status checking.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:36 pm

Submitted mid-November, status checker says "decision rendered" from last Friday. nothing in the mail yet. hoping for a big scholarship...

buddyluv545

Postby buddyluv545 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:09 pm

buddyluv545 wrote:THIS WEEK, this week we will all see "Decision Rendered" on our status page. I feel it in my bones... or maybe I just ate too much McDonald's today.

Decision made for me today. Clearly, I must be a psychic. :shock: Good luck to everyone else who recently went to Decision Rendered!

Complete: 11/17, Decision Rendered: 1/31

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”