University of Tennessee applying for fall 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cutecarmel

Re: University of Tennessee applying for fall 2012

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:05 am

Ouch that's odd. If it helps, I'll probably withdraw from FSU in a few days. I received a scholarship, but its not comparable to the one I'm receiving from UT.

seminole2011 wrote:Yeah Knoxville is a nice place to go to school. Nothing like gameday at Neyland Stadium either. However I'm still hoping to hear something soon from FSU. I have been complete since November 16th and haven't even been reviewed yet. It makes no sense to me.

seminole2011

Postby seminole2011 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:13 am

You got full tuition at UT? You must have had amazing softs to get a full tuition with 161. I was considering applying for residency since I lived in the state for 19 years and only recently (2006) moved away. When did you recieve your scholly offer?

cutecarmel wrote:Ouch that's odd. If it helps, I'll probably withdraw from FSU in a few days. I received a scholarship, but its not comparable to the one I'm receiving from UT.

seminole2011 wrote:Yeah Knoxville is a nice place to go to school. Nothing like gameday at Neyland Stadium either. However I'm still hoping to hear something soon from FSU. I have been complete since November 16th and haven't even been reviewed yet. It makes no sense to me.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:59 pm

texag1979 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
texag1979 wrote:Anybody pick UTK over FSU? What made the difference?

I did last year, then went somewhere else.

Knoxville/ East Tennessee / >>> Tally/ F. Panhandle

The things you could do within a three hour drive of Knox were ten times better than from Tally. Plus, the drive would be very pretty. Better part of the country...

Also, I liked the campus of UTK much better. Have you toured FSU law? I did and it kinda sucked. Its like they kept adding on and now nothing makes sense. UTK law was really nice, and it seemed like the town / campus , while kinda dirty just like Tally, was a little bit more fun.

Finally, I decided I'd rather work in Nash, Chatt, or Knox then Tally, Orlando, Jacksonville. The only place I really liked in Florida was Tampa, and I thought the odds weren't great that I would get my best offer there anyway. Hell, I'd even work in Memphis over every florida city with the exception of Tampa.

Met students in both locals and everyone was really nice. Both staffs were really professional (although UTK did have some issues with the admitted students day last year)

Good luck

Thanks for the perspective. The wife and I toured FSU in Oct and will tour UTK next week. What type of job are you looking for, if you don't mind me asking? I'm leaning toward prosecuting, and both schools seem fine for that from what I understand. Are you from either state? Again, 'preciate the info.

I am a 1L at CU-Boulder. I am actually not from TN, FL, or CO for that matter, but applied broadly to state schools with good local reputations. My wife and I were pretty flexible about where we wanted to be, which was lucky. I want to prosecute as well, and yea I think FSU or UTK would give you lots of opportunities for mock trial, clinics, etc...

Just wanted to pipe up and say that I had been in a similar situation and found that UTK Law to be a good thing in a real nice part of the country. In fact, if my wife keeps complaining about the dry air over here in the west I may put in a transfer ap to UTK. Only around 16k or so tuition, right? I'm sure we could get in-state as they offered it to us last time around so long as my wife was working. In-state at CU is about 28k, for reference.

The only negative thing I've ever heard about UTK is how insular the market is over there. Unless my wife owned a small business in the area or something similar, I was afraid employers would worry that I would leave town after awhile. I heard a lot about how loyal alums were to the school, but then again almost everyone I met that was affiliated with UTK Law was from TN or had some serious ties. I never had the feeling that I would be totally accepted in the area even with a UTK Law degree. And FWIW, we aren't northerners either. (Oklahoma and Texas).

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:10 pm

I think my softs are really great, but I think I'm really fortunate because I applied kind of late. I received the research position, and for that I know that they look for more than just numbers. I'm sure I could have gotten a higher score if I retook the LSAT, but I went abroad for the Fall and wouldn't have been able to take it.

I received the scholarship 2-3 weeks ago (or maybe a month ago....I'm kind of losing track of time lol.)

seminole2011 wrote:You got full tuition at UT? You must have had amazing softs to get a full tuition with 161. I was considering applying for residency since I lived in the state for 19 years and only recently (2006) moved away. When did you recieve your scholly offer?

I have actually spoken with a few current students, who were worried about the same thing (TN being insular) but things worked out fine for them. UTK can also match you up with a mentor in the field that you want to practice in, so that might also help with getting a job. I'm a "southerner" (I've lived in the south for 11 years) but I speak like I'm from the North; sometimes I worry about insular markets too, but I think if I network enough, things should work out fine.

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:The only negative thing I've ever heard about UTK is how insular the market is over there. Unless my wife owned a small business in the area or something similar, I was afraid employers would worry that I would leave town after awhile. I heard a lot about how loyal alums were to the school, but then again almost everyone I met that was affiliated with UTK Law was from TN or had some serious ties. I never had the feeling that I would be totally accepted in the area even with a UTK Law degree. And FWIW, we aren't northerners either. (Oklahoma and Texas).

RaiderBlue17

Postby RaiderBlue17 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Got the phone call today... Excited to be accepted and visit and learn on the 30th of March.

tiymay

Postby tiymay » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Got the phone call today, excited about it! Hoping to be able to visit in March.

texag1979

Postby texag1979 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 pm

Congrats to everyone who got good news today (and best wishes to those still waiting for the word). I took a tour this afternoon and loved it. Great facilities and extremely friendly and helpful staff and students. Anyone planning on attending the preview day in March?

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:03 am

$1500 scholarship offer from the University of Tennessee with a 171 LSAT.

This is either a really bad joke or a typo. Either way I should probably scratch UT off my list.

RaiderBlue17

Postby RaiderBlue17 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:10 am

givemea170 wrote:$1500 scholarship offer from the University of Tennessee with a 171 LSAT.

This is either a really bad joke or a typo. Either way I should probably scratch UT off my list.

Are you an IN-State kid?

I fell all these PUBLIC universities of which you're in state feel that the discounted tuition is enough. I mean CALL ME CRAZY but does not EVERY tax payer in the state pay for these things to stay open yet that alone SOMEHOW means those who do exceptional compared to the other class should get SOMETHING.

IM LOOKING AT YOU MEMPHIS.... LOL

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:06 pm

UT looks at more than just numbers when making scholarship decisions. And they probably didn't expect you to attend (and based on your post, it doesn't sound like you would really want to) so why waste $ on someone who probably won't attend anyway?

givemea170 wrote:$1500 scholarship offer from the University of Tennessee with a 171 LSAT.

Yea I plan on going. I wish it were earlier in March or in February though.

texag1979 wrote:Congrats to everyone who got good news today (and best wishes to those still waiting for the word). I took a tour this afternoon and loved it. Great facilities and extremely friendly and helpful staff and students. Anyone planning on attending the preview day in March?

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:02 pm

RaiderBlue17 wrote:

Are you an IN-State kid?

I fell all these PUBLIC universities of which you're in state feel that the discounted tuition is enough. I mean CALL ME CRAZY but does not EVERY tax payer in the state pay for these things to stay open yet that alone SOMEHOW means those who do exceptional compared to the other class should get SOMETHING.

IM LOOKING AT YOU MEMPHIS.... LOL

I am an in-state kid, and went to UT for my undergrad and I imagine that the scholarship offer does have something to do with it. I doubt they would have offered me $1500 if I was out of state... they probably offer me the $20,000 and make it even to the in-state tuition rate. Still annoying though, if they really want to attract elite students and raise their rankings they should give out some free scholarship offers. I'd have at least considered staying in Knoxville with a full ride.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:03 pm

cutecarmel wrote:UT looks at more than just numbers when making scholarship decisions. And they probably didn't expect you to attend (and based on your post, it doesn't sound like you would really want to) so why waste $ on someone who probably won't attend anyway?

Yea I plan on going. I wish it were earlier in March or in February though.

texag1979 wrote:Congrats to everyone who got good news today (and best wishes to those still waiting for the word). I took a tour this afternoon and loved it. Great facilities and extremely friendly and helpful staff and students. Anyone planning on attending the preview day in March?

Well, their goal should be to raise their very mediocre ranking, and offering a full scholarship to a kid who went to UT for his undergrad and would boost their numbers seems like a smart thing to do but what do I know? :lol:

texag1979

Postby texag1979 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:37 pm

Maybe you should come anyway, givemea170. That way you could finish top of the class, far ahead of us mental midgets who can't do any better than this mediocre school that doesn't recognize brilliance when it's been staring them in the face for four years. This display of arrogance, ungratefulness, and pomposity, by UT of course, must not be allowed to stand. You got a 171 on your LSAT. Don't they know what that means?

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:40 pm

texag1979 wrote:Maybe you should come anyway, givemea170. That way you could finish top of the class, far ahead of us mental midgets who can't do any better than this mediocre school that doesn't recognize brilliance when it's been staring them in the face for four years. This display of arrogance, ungratefulness, and pomposity, by UT of course, must not be allowed to stand. You got a 171 on your LSAT. Don't they know what that means?

As another poster indicated, giving smaller scholarships to in state kids is stupid and a slap in the face.

'Here, we are going to cut the in-state rate due to taxes and then we are going to reduce your scholarship offer to boot to offset the in-state tuition rate difference. But come to UT! Don't forget that our ranking stays low because we don't offer competitive scholarships to students who could raise our ranking.'

That being said, your hostility isn't really warranted. I was just upset as I would have loved to come to UT on a full ride and feel that could have been accomplished with my numbers. I've had a very strange cycle indeed. Been rejected from some sub 50 ranked schools and accepted to some top 10's. Very inconsistent.

texag1979

Postby texag1979 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:37 pm

givemea170 wrote:
texag1979 wrote:Maybe you should come anyway, givemea170. That way you could finish top of the class, far ahead of us mental midgets who can't do any better than this mediocre school that doesn't recognize brilliance when it's been staring them in the face for four years. This display of arrogance, ungratefulness, and pomposity, by UT of course, must not be allowed to stand. You got a 171 on your LSAT. Don't they know what that means?

As another poster indicated, giving smaller scholarships to in state kids is stupid and a slap in the face.

'Here, we are going to cut the in-state rate due to taxes and then we are going to reduce your scholarship offer to boot to offset the in-state tuition rate difference. But come to UT! Don't forget that our ranking stays low because we don't offer competitive scholarships to students who could raise our ranking.'

That being said, your hostility isn't really warranted. I was just upset as I would have loved to come to UT on a full ride and feel that could have been accomplished with my numbers. I've had a very strange cycle indeed. Been rejected from some sub 50 ranked schools and accepted to some top 10's. Very inconsistent.

I hope you find the right fit. Good luck to you.

Lizzish

Postby Lizzish » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:48 pm

Hey, folks who got scholarship offers-- how long after your acceptance call did you get the scholarship info? I just got my phone call last week but haven't heard anything about financial aid. I'm an in-state girl with mediocre numbers (167/3.52) so I don't know what I can hope for.

seminole2011

Postby seminole2011 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:15 pm

Lizzish wrote:Hey, folks who got scholarship offers-- how long after your acceptance call did you get the scholarship info? I just got my phone call last week but haven't heard anything about financial aid. I'm an in-state girl with mediocre numbers (167/3.52) so I don't know what I can hope for.

Those are not mediocre numbers! A 167 is like 90%. You should probably be considering a top 25 school instead of UTK. However, UTK should offer you a full schools based on numbers alone. That being said schools seem to be acting more stingy this cycle than in years past.

texag1979

Postby texag1979 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Lizzish wrote:Hey, folks who got scholarship offers-- how long after your acceptance call did you get the scholarship info? I just got my phone call last week but haven't heard anything about financial aid. I'm an in-state girl with mediocre numbers (167/3.52) so I don't know what I can hope for.

When did you apply?

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:53 am

Even though I hated my offer, I will say that my offer was in the mail box 2 days after my acceptance package arrived.

reinbowbrite

Postby reinbowbrite » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Just got my acceptance phone call. Applied 2/6, went under review 2/13, and phone call today. I'm OOS, so maybe that made a difference with how fast it came down? Solid numbers, but nothing spectacular (163 LSAT, 3.59 GPA).

I've found the scholly discussion interesting. As a OOS'er I hope they offer more than $1500. :lol:

Saint_Seer

Postby Saint_Seer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Just got accepted. Second law school I've gotten into. Too excited to inquire about scholarship opportunities.

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Just got my Acceptance phone call. Wow! I'm super excited. I am 95% sure I will be going next year.

wightjm

Postby wightjm » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:03 pm

For those who got accepted today, when did you guys go under review?

Saint_Seer

Postby Saint_Seer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:13 pm

wightjm wrote:For those who got accepted today, when did you guys go under review?

The 14th. When did you apply?

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:13 pm

For those of you asking about scholarships, there isn't a consistent time from when acceptances are given and when scholarships are given. I received my scholarship maybe 2-3 weeks or so after my acceptance, while others received it sooner. Its less about when you receive you acceptance and more about when admisssions sits down to make scholarship decisions.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”