University of Tennessee applying for fall 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Comoncents

Re: University of Tennessee applying for fall 2012

Postby Comoncents » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:41 pm

anb008 wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:Thanks rt1987!

That was a very honest appraisal of the situation. I am bummed about the falling in rank, but I am not stressed about it. I am from California, and as much as I love this State I have always loved the South. I am excited to visit the campus and see what's up. Personally, I think that UTK is the best law school I have been accepted to so far. The people seem very nice, and from what I have read online the school has a solid reputation in the South. Of course, the school is completely free for me so that is an added plus.

Anyways, thanks again. I am very glad this blog exists.

I'm in the same boat. Born and raised in Cali, (did my undergrad in Iowa), but I'm ready for a change. Pretty excited.

Tyler Bray came down from Cali... just sayin...

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Is anyone bringing a guest to Law Preview Day this Friday?

abby3211

Postby abby3211 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:41 pm

I am. My family wanted a chance to see the school so they're coming, but they're good about not being overbearing at stuff like this so I didn't have to worry about "helicopter mom" syndrome or w/e you want to call it.

cpinker3

Postby cpinker3 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:32 am

Wait list. I guess I'll just carry the wait list form back in person considering I live a block away from the law school. Maybe some face time would help?

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 am

cutecarmel wrote:Is anyone bringing a guest to Law Preview Day this Friday?

Yeah, I am bringing my wife and two little kids. (one Autistic) Should be lots of fun!!!???

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 am

cpinker3 wrote:Wait list. I guess I'll just carry the wait list form back in person considering I live a block away from the law school. Maybe some face time would help?

You'll get in, come on; you can convince them!

Daniel

cpinker3

Postby cpinker3 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:50 am

Comoncents wrote:
cpinker3 wrote:Wait list. I guess I'll just carry the wait list form back in person considering I live a block away from the law school. Maybe some face time would help?

You'll get in, come on; you can convince them!

Daniel

+1
I'm already working on my LOCI and am considering asking one more professor to send a Letter of Recommendation.

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:20 pm

AMAZING ASD! Awesome!

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:44 pm

Pictures and specifics??? :)

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:40 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:Pictures and specifics??? :)

Damn, I should have taken more pics, but I did not.
It was amazing!!!
If you want to practice law, this is the place that will teach you how to walk the walk and talk the talk.
What are you looking to do?
If you like litigation, other schools have great/ equivalent programs. If you want dispute resolution or business, this school is amazing.
The teachers are brilliant, and each would go to UTK over their law school today. A few of them quit practice because of the students they were getting, from top 10 law schools, were useless.
They all loved practice, unlike many other law schools I have gone too. Most law teachers hated practice and turned to teaching, but UTK is different.
In the business transaction side they have a few people that were completely rich and left to serve.
In dispute resolution there is a teacher who successfully argued in front of the supreme court and persuaded Justice Scalia to agree with her, and won! Not only are they all prestigious but they are easily accessible and really want to help. They all want us to succeed, and email us all of the time. Where else can you get teachers that successfully argue in front of the supreme court, or were justice is state courts, and talk to them when ever you need?

It was awesome! The admissions department is the most transparent law school I have ever seen! It was great!

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:41 pm

I'll post more later with my notes in front of me.
Oh, and the students really are together in this and treat each other like adults. It really is a community!

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:34 am

Comoncents wrote:AMAZING ASD! Awesome!

I agree. Absolutely incredible. The professors, faculty,and even Dean Blaze, the most funnest Dean :lol: ....you'd get the joke if you were there) are very nice and helpful. You can tell that they try really hard to form a relationship with the students and make sure that they are ready to practice when they graduate. The faculty is incredibly transparent with statistics, and are also confident that things will improve. The students are helpful and honest, and even though there is competition, you can tell that everyone is really there for each other. Everyone really seems to do all they can to make law school as tolerable as possible. After attending, I was positive that I had made the right choice to attend. I'm so excited about orientation (....not so much about the homework we're getting over the summer though)

You all should definitely make a trip down if you haven't already.
Last edited by cutecarmel on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 am

cutecarmel wrote:

+1

I agree. Absolutely incredible. The professors, faculty,and even Dean Blaze, the most funnest Dean :lol: ....you'd get the joke if you were there) are very nice and helpful. You can tell that they try really hard to form a relationship with the students and make sure that they are ready to practice when they graduate. The faculty is incredibly transparent with statistics, and are also confident that things will improve. The students are helpful and honest, and even though there is competition, you can tell that everyone is really there for each other. Everyone really seems to do all they can to make law school as tolerable as possible. After attending, I was positive that I had made the right choice to attend. I'm so excited about orientation (....not so much about the homework we're getting over the summer though)

I completely agree!!! I made the right choice!

reinbowbrite

Postby reinbowbrite » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:01 am

Comoncents wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:

+1

I completely agree!!! I made the right choice!

It WAS a great session. As someone who has not yet made up my mind where to go (I'm still waiting to hear back from Univ. of North Carolina - since that's where I live), I was highly impressed!

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:33 am

I look forward to visiting the school this spring. I too am waiting to hear back from a few schools, but the fact that everyone was so impressed gives me a warm fuzzy. It will be quite the culture shock coming from California, but I have heard a lot of great things. I am really curious to see the city of Knoxville and the university, and to meet some of the students.

Just out of curiousity, I would love to hear from the people who have multiple choices of where they could go to school and why they are choosing UTK. Is it based on UTKs specialities? I understand they have a terrific environmental program.

Also, if anyone has pictures I would love to see them. Especially the law library, since I will be spending the majority of the next three years of my life there. haha

reinbowbrite

Postby reinbowbrite » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:15 pm

If any of you have been admitted and haven't yet joined the Facebook page, you really should. At least 2 of the students who were part of the student panel on Friday are active there and seem very willing to answer any questions we have. So, if you couldn't attend the Law Preview Day, you can still get your questions answered. Also, there's a healthy number of folks looking for places to live, others giving recommendations and shout outs to where they live, and plenty searching for roommate possibilities.

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:46 pm

reinbowbrite wrote:If any of you have been admitted and haven't yet joined the Facebook page, you really should. At least 2 of the students who were part of the student panel on Friday are active there and seem very willing to answer any questions we have. So, if you couldn't attend the Law Preview Day, you can still get your questions answered. Also, there's a healthy number of folks looking for places to live, others giving recommendations and shout outs to where they live, and plenty searching for roommate possibilities.

Good idea, but like Dr. Kuney, I do not have a facebook.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:51 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:I look forward to visiting the school this spring. I too am waiting to hear back from a few schools, but the fact that everyone was so impressed gives me a warm fuzzy. It will be quite the culture shock coming from California, but I have heard a lot of great things. I am really curious to see the city of Knoxville and the university, and to meet some of the students.

Just out of curiosity, I would love to hear from the people who have multiple choices of where they could go to school and why they are choosing UTK. Is it based on UTKs specialties? I understand they have a terrific environmental program.

Also, if anyone has pictures I would love to see them. Especially the law library, since I will be spending the majority of the next three years of my life there. haha

I received full rides to several schools including UTK. I decided to go the UTK instead of other schools for several reasons. The staff there is incredible and they really appear to be dedicated to preparing their students to practice after they graduate. I already feel that I have a personal relationship with at least one person on staff, and I haven't even started yet. Also, all of the students who I have talked to rave about how UTK is such a close-knit community, and since law school is pretty much going to be hell, it would be nice to go to a school where other students don't try to stab you in the back and where professors actually care about you as a person.

Class size is small (150) which is really nice and makes me more than just a number.

A lot of emphasis is put on gaining practical experience through clinics, externships, etc. and there are tons of opportunities to receive class credit for clinics and externships in 2L and 3L years.

They have a mentoring program where they can match you up with a professional in the area of law you want to practice, and it will definitely help having guidance from someone in a position where you want to be.

The Advocacy concentration seems impressive.

UTK has a reputation that reaches far outside of Knoxville. I have no problems living in Knoxville, but if I wanted to live somewhere else, I'm sure that UTK could help me find a job. Of the 3 or 4 3L students that I spoke to about job prospects, all of them either were, or had a friend that was going out of state to work and already had a job lined up.

And Knoxville is relatively close to my family (less than 5 hour drive)

I really feel confident about my decision to go to school here and I don't think I would have felt as confident with another law school choice.

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 am

cutecarmel wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:I look forward to visiting the school this spring. I too am waiting to hear back from a few schools, but the fact that everyone was so impressed gives me a warm fuzzy. It will be quite the culture shock coming from California, but I have heard a lot of great things. I am really curious to see the city of Knoxville and the university, and to meet some of the students.

Just out of curiosity, I would love to hear from the people who have multiple choices of where they could go to school and why they are choosing UTK. Is it based on UTKs specialties? I understand they have a terrific environmental program.

I received full rides to several schools including UTK. I decided to go the UTK instead of other schools for several reasons. The staff there is incredible and they really appear to be dedicated to preparing their students to practice after they graduate. I already feel that I have a personal relationship with at least one person on staff, and I haven't even started yet. Also, all of the students who I have talked to rave about how UTK is such a close-knit community, and since law school is pretty much going to be hell, it would be nice to go to a school where other students don't try to stab you in the back and where professors actually care about you as a person.

Class size is small (150) which is really nice and makes me more than just a number.

A lot of emphasis is put on gaining practical experience through clinics, externships, etc. and there are tons of opportunities to receive class credit for clinics and externships in 2L and 3L years.

They have a mentoring program where they can match you up with a professional in the area of law you want to practice, and it will definitely help having guidance from someone in a position where you want to be.

The Advocacy concentration seems impressive.

UTK has a reputation that reaches far outside of Knoxville. I have no problems living in Knoxville, but if I wanted to live somewhere else, I'm sure that UTK could help me find a job. Of the 3 or 4 3L students that I spoke to about job prospects, all of them either were, or had a friend that was going out of state to work and already had a job lined up.

And Knoxville is relatively close to my family (less than 5 hour drive)

I really feel confident about my decision to go to school here and I don't think I would have felt as confident with another law school choice.

Amen! And ditto!

kmason

Postby kmason » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi All,

Is there much to choose between
University of Tennessee, U of Miami ($55k scholarship) and Michigan State
for
Public Interest law - I want to provide legal support to: poor; underpriviledged; womens rights...

Which would be the best choice - quick employment and, secondarily, salary (yes, PI is low-paid)

Thanks

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:53 pm

kmason wrote:Hi All,

Is there much to choose between
University of Tennessee, U of Miami ($55k scholarship) and Michigan State
for
Public Interest law - I want to provide legal support to: poor; underpriviledged; womens rights...

Which would be the best choice - quick employment and, secondarily, salary (yes, PI is low-paid)

Thanks

Hey. Well of course I'm going to say UTK :D .

Miami was an option for me too, but there would be a lot of competition in-state for jobs there because of UF, FSU, and all of the other schools. I big reason why I was interested there was the spanish-speaking population. I think Miami has a good public interest program.

I don't really know much about Michigan, but I think its a good school.

At UTK, employment 9 months after graduation is something like 87%. But I think your employment chances improve if you are willing to put yourself out there and network. Average public interest was 45k in 2010. Full employment info is online: http://www.law.utk.edu/administration/c ... rvey.shtml
There is a Domestic Violence Clinic if you are looking into Women's Rights and also Advocacy clinics for the underprivileged.

Of course, since I will be attending UTK, I have a lot more information about them than other schools; but I would recommend you contacting the schools to try to get into contact with one or a few of their current students and if employment information is important to you, you can speak with some people in admissions for more information. For UTK, I recommend you emailing Janet Hatcher or Karen Britton and they'll get someone to talk with you about your questions.

Good luck with your decision!

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Comoncents. I think I saw your kids at Law Preview Day. A boy and a girl? Their so cute!

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:56 pm

cutecarmel wrote:Comoncents. I think I saw your kids at Law Preview Day. A boy and a girl? Their so cute!

Thanks! My son is autistic, so i am sure he was loud, but my little girl is so good!
Thanks!
I wish I would have seen you. What does your last name start with, mine is an M, maybe we will be in the same group.

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:49 am

Excellent! Give away your secret identities so I can find you in the Facebook group. muhahaha!

;)

kmason

Postby kmason » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:56 am

Thanks, cutecarmel,

Will do - thanks for the names & link.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”