University of Tennessee applying for fall 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cutecarmel

Silver

Re: University of Tennessee applying for fall 2012

Post by cutecarmel » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:19 am

We will almost definitely be in the same section then!
Comoncents wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:Comoncents. I think I saw your kids at Law Preview Day. A boy and a girl? They're so cute!
Thanks! My son is autistic, so i am sure he was loud, but my little girl is so good!
Thanks!
I wish I would have seen you. What does your last name start with, mine is an M, maybe we will be in the same group.

wightjm

New

Post by wightjm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 am

did they say anything about using the waitlist at ASW? or did they mention that they have accepted more than usual?

As a hopeful Vol, Ill take any information.

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:05 pm

cutecarmel wrote:We will almost definitely be in the same section then!
Comoncents wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:Comoncents. I think I saw your kids at Law Preview Day. A boy and a girl? They're so cute!
Thanks! My son is autistic, so i am sure he was loud, but my little girl is so good!
Thanks!
I wish I would have seen you. What does your last name start with, mine is an M, maybe we will be in the same group.
Awesome! We will do great!

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:08 pm

wightjm wrote:did they say anything about using the waitlist at ASW? or did they mention that they have accepted more than usual?

Sorry, the only thing I heard was that they hope to have 150.
There was only 90 people that showed up, but I think many who were admitted did not make it to the ASD. It could be a good thing, or just a coincidence.

Good Luck!

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:22 pm

wightjm wrote:did they say anything about using the waitlist at ASW? or did they mention that they have accepted more than usual?

They didn't mention anything because the preview day was only for admitted students, but I'm sure if you contacted admissions, they might be able to give you more info about the waitlist. They did mention that they will not know for sure about exactly who is in the class until a few weeks before orientation, so the waitlist will probably change a lot over the summer, if you're willing to wait it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rt1987

New

Post by rt1987 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:07 am

Still taking questions!

cpinker3

New

Post by cpinker3 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:14 pm

cutecarmel wrote:

They didn't mention anything because the preview day was only for admitted students, but I'm sure if you contacted admissions, they might be able to give you more info about the waitlist. They did mention that they will not know for sure about exactly who is in the class until a few weeks before orientation, so the waitlist will probably change a lot over the summer, if you're willing to wait it out.
I actually went down to the admissions office (I live on UTK campus) to turn in the wait list form and ask questions about the wait list and they did not tell me anything other than what was in the wait list letter itself. Hopefully the LOCI I sent in will help.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:11 pm

rt1987 wrote:Still taking questions!
Where do most students live? How long before orientation did you move to Tennessee (if you weren't already a resident)

rt1987

New

Post by rt1987 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:55 pm

cutecarmel wrote:
rt1987 wrote:Still taking questions!
Where do most students live? How long before orientation did you move to Tennessee (if you weren't already a resident)
Out West or in the Fort. How far West is completely up to you, some people commute 5 minutes, some people commute 20 minutes. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter, a commute is still a commute, so if you're looking west, find something that fits your budget and comfort level. If you are looking out west, I would recommend looking into a private parking pass. They are expensive, but worth it (they are renovating one of the parking structures near the University Center, and the law school parking just got the shaft--although it might be fixed by the fall).

Fort Sanders is fine if you've lived in a big city before. It's similar to most neighborhoods in large/metro areas. The crime is strongly exaggerated. However, if you're from a small town or went to college in a small town, I would not recommend it for your first year--you just won't be used to the environment and it might freak you out if you've never had to lock your car/house before. I will say this, if you're going to live in Fort Sanders, live close enough where you can walk to class. Living at a place like Crowne is stupid because you still have to drive to class and buy a commuter pass, and you're still paying the premium of living close to campus. If you're not close enough, you might as well move out west and find a cheaper place.

Also some people live downtown or in the old city. You could walk from downtown, but the old city would be a stretch. Downtown stuff and apartments along the river are really nice, the only problem is you're going to pay higher rent than the Fort (but most of the apartments are nicer). Old City has a few good places (Sterchi, etc.) but it's still a hike from campus, and probably requires a drive. However, you're closer to the downtown bar and restaurant scene.

A few people live in apartments in South Knoxville but I would recommend doing a lot of research if you choose South Knox because the bridge traffic is insane. They closed the main artery (4-lane) bridge connecting the city to the south side, and only left open a 2-lane bridge that connects the two. Getting over there is tough and the bridge is supposed to be closed for 2+ years. However, if you're on the South side off Cherokee, it's not as bad (since you just take Alcoa Highway and not the Gay Street Bridge). If you're looking here, check out the Woodlands and Quarry Trail and the Retreat.

I moved here 3 days before school started. I would recommend giving yourself a little more time, maybe a week or ten days, that way you can take care of all the nitty gritty stuff like having your cable hooked up, getting a parking pass, double checking financial aid, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cpinker3

New

Post by cpinker3 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:50 am

Has anyone who has been wait listed seen any movement this week? They said they would start on the waitlist files this week.

reinbowbrite

New

Post by reinbowbrite » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Hard, painful decision - but withdrew last week. I really enjoyed ASD and got to meet some really cool people but coming from OOS it was just too expensive compared to other offers I had. Best of luck to you all. I truly believe it's a great school!

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:40 pm

reinbowbrite wrote:Hard, painful decision - but withdrew last week. I really enjoyed ASD and got to meet some really cool people but coming from OOS it was just too expensive compared to other offers I had. Best of luck to you all. I truly believe it's a great school!
Where did you decide to go?

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sun May 06, 2012 10:55 pm

Happy Graduation!!!! (to those of you graduating recently or who will graduate in a few weeks!)

Any new acceptances? Waitlist movement? Anyone else committed to UTK?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Wed May 09, 2012 5:02 pm

I just paid my two deposits and moving in less than a month- North Knoxville!

Good luck everyone!!!

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:05 pm

When is the second deposit due again?

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Wed May 09, 2012 6:52 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:When is the second deposit due again?
No, it is due on the 1st of June... I think; I just decided to pay it since my decision is made.

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Just withdrew from the University of Tennessee. It was not an easy decision. Hopefully there is someone out there still excited to go!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:44 am

Is anyone getting pumped yet? I just received my personalized letter from Karen Britton welcoming me to the class of 2015. I also visited recently and cannot wait! Everyone is extremely nice (especially Mrs. Phyllis Brewer in the admissions recruiting office), and Mrs. Janet Hatcher is a sweetheart that will help you with anything. Joe in the career center is also helpful in any capacity you need. The building is beautiful and right down the road from Neyland Stadium. I look forward to meeting everyone on the 20th of August, and do not forget to check your email- the Career Center sent an email asking you to take a survey about what you might like to do with your JD. They are prepping for what type of firm or agency our class might want to be employed by in the future. See you soon! Be safe and enjoy your summer!!!

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Comoncents wrote:Is anyone getting pumped yet? I just received my personalized letter from Karen Britton welcoming me to the class of 2015. I also visited recently and cannot wait! Everyone is extremely nice (especially Mrs. Phyllis Brewer in the admissions recruiting office), and Mrs. Janet Hatcher is a sweetheart that will help you with anything. Joe in the career center is also helpful in any capacity you need. The building is beautiful and right down the road from Neyland Stadium. I look forward to meeting everyone on the 20th of August, and do not forget to check your email- the Career Center sent an email asking you to take a survey about what you might like to do with your JD. They are prepping for what type of firm or agency our class might want to be employed by in the future. See you soon! Be safe and enjoy your summer!!!
Comoncents, are you sure your not secretly on staff?! :lol:

I'm actually really excited about my decision. Everyone I met there is awesome, the building is beautiful, the city is beautiful, I couldn't be happier.

When is everyone moving down (if your not there already)? I'm hoping to move about 2-3 weeks before orientation get settled in, but I don't want to move too early because I don't know anyone wouldn't have anything to do.

Does anyone have any advice about where to live? I'm looking at places in West Knox (about a 15 minute drive from campus), but I heard living in the Fort (closer to campus) might not be that bad. Suggestions?

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:50 am

cutecarmel wrote:
Comoncents wrote:Is anyone getting pumped yet? I just received my personalized letter from Karen Britton welcoming me to the class of 2015. I also visited recently and cannot wait! Everyone is extremely nice (especially Mrs. Phyllis Brewer in the admissions recruiting office), and Mrs. Janet Hatcher is a sweetheart that will help you with anything. Joe in the career center is also helpful in any capacity you need. The building is beautiful and right down the road from Neyland Stadium. I look forward to meeting everyone on the 20th of August, and do not forget to check your email- the Career Center sent an email asking you to take a survey about what you might like to do with your JD. They are prepping for what type of firm or agency our class might want to be employed by in the future. See you soon! Be safe and enjoy your summer!!!
Comoncents, are you sure your not secretly on staff?! :lol:
:) Ha!
cutecarmel wrote:I'm actually really excited about my decision. Everyone I met there is awesome, the building is beautiful, the city is beautiful, I couldn't be happier.

When is everyone moving down (if your not there already)? I'm hoping to move about 2-3 weeks before orientation get settled in, but I don't want to move too early because I don't know anyone wouldn't have anything to do.
I would suggest to move early; 3-4 weeks might be early enough. There is so much to do in Knoxville! I moved a month ago- got my kids into school, figured out the route, wife got a job, all the in-state stuff is still getting worked out, taking a trip back home to see everyone before I start a tough semester, figured out the lease, got my barring- just stuff like that is taking over 4 weeks.
cutecarmel wrote:Does anyone have any advice about where to live? I'm looking at places in West Knox (about a 15 minute drive from campus), but I heard living in the Fort (closer to campus) might not be that bad. Suggestions?
I live in North Knoxville.
We had a place in West but the traffic was too bad for me to commute. It is beautiful; especially the Turkey Creek area- though it is 23-25 min away.

I like North! A great school zone for my kids, only a 10 min drive with no traffic, and I am in driving distance to anywhere in Knoxville.
But, like I said; West is MUCH nicer, ascetically, of a location.

I would suggest coming down here and looking ahead of time.
Take a trip, stay in West or even Downtown, drive to see Turkey Creek, drive to see the places close to West Town Mall, wake up and try to see how the commute will be from West, check out different places.

Stupe

Bronze

Post by Stupe » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:37 am

What were the stats of you guys who received scholarships this past year?

I'm an in-stater with a 162/3.5 and I'm wondering if I will get anything from that (2013 admission). UTK is my #1, grats to everyone who got in this cycle!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Stupe wrote:What were the stats of you guys who received scholarships this past year?

I'm an in-stater with a 162/3.5 and I'm wondering if I will get anything from that (2013 admission). UTK is my #1, grats to everyone who got in this cycle!
I think most people have stopped checking in on this topic. :lol: You should browse through some of the earlier pages (Maybe Dec-Feb).

Hope to see you next year!
Good luck!

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Stupe wrote:What were the stats of you guys who received scholarships this past year?

Those numbers seem solid for this year, who knows what next year will bring. If you believe in Law Schools being creatures of habit, those numbers should be good for next year also, but there is never a guarantee. (Unless you score a 180, have a 4.0, and do everything perfectly on your application... than I may be whiling to give you a weak guarantee... maybe... nothing is certain!)

Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”