Boston University c/o 2015 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ThreeRivers

Re: Boston University c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:08 pm

Moriarty wrote:Got scholly info in the mail while I was visiting Boston College, hahaha. BU gave me $105,000 a year--pretty generous and definitely something to think about.

...still pissed about the way the 12/6 Mafia was treated, though.

when were you admitted?

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:39 am

Moriarty wrote:Got scholly info in the mail while I was visiting Boston College, hahaha. BU gave me $105,000 a year--pretty generous and definitely something to think about.

...still pissed about the way the 12/6 Mafia was treated, though.

Wow! you are makin' bank...just be a full-time student and screw getting a job, dude. Near market salary just for being a student? I think the economy is lookin' up... ;)

NDIrish2012

Postby NDIrish2012 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:02 pm

I just got my scholarship info... $15K/year. I don't really know what to do as far as negotiations go because I already sent them my other two scholarship letters (35K/year from ND and GULC), which I thought would compel BU to at least match. I really would consider going to BU, but I just can't turn down more money from GULC to do so. What should I do as far as negotiations go, all my cards have already been played!

Edit: Does BU have some sort of special scholarship for URM applicants? Every single instance of $105K over 3 years is a URM on lsn, and no non URM even comes close to that kind of money. Honestly 105 is what I would need to consider BU, but I'm not URM :(

illy22

Postby illy22 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:21 am

Just got my packet from BU last night. No mention of moolah, be it merit or need-based. But maybe this comes later? I applied for the PI one, but feels like a lost cause at this point.

It DID, however, include info/flyers on a whole bunch of admitted students' events that have already passed, and the recommendation on the cover that I respond with my decision "as soon as possible, so that we may plan accordingly."

yeah, i would've liked to plan accordingly too. i wasn't part of the of 12/6 mafia, but the waiting and the witnessing of that debacle really stung. maybe i'm being ungrateful. maybe i'm just bored. maybe i'm just sick of this application cycle...but forrealsies, why no love, bu? did a six-spot drop really give you that much performance anxiety?

So, BU, your official status is Complete as of 3/28 (12/6 is taken). I will be updating you via email as soon as a decision has been reached. Perhaps four months or so from now. What can i say, i dig your style.

#12/6neverforget

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am

NDIrish2012 wrote:I just got my scholarship info... $15K/year. I don't really know what to do as far as negotiations go because I already sent them my other two scholarship letters (35K/year from ND and GULC), which I thought would compel BU to at least match. I really would consider going to BU, but I just can't turn down more money from GULC to do so. What should I do as far as negotiations go, all my cards have already been played!

Edit: Does BU have some sort of special scholarship for URM applicants? Every single instance of $105K over 3 years is a URM on lsn, and no non URM even comes close to that kind of money. Honestly 105 is what I would need to consider BU, but I'm not URM :(

Just tell them would love to attend more but financial considerations / gulc offered

This is coming from a guy who has bu as his number 1 choice.... I really don't think you could ever consider bu for more debt over gulc for less debt lol

Did you have a blank mailing in your status checker? (still waiting on scholly info, some ppl said had blank mailing before got scholly offer... Wondering if happened to everyone)

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:50 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
NDIrish2012 wrote:I just got my scholarship info... $15K/year. I don't really know what to do as far as negotiations go because I already sent them my other two scholarship letters (35K/year from ND and GULC), which I thought would compel BU to at least match. I really would consider going to BU, but I just can't turn down more money from GULC to do so. What should I do as far as negotiations go, all my cards have already been played!

Just tell them would love to attend more but financial considerations / gulc offered

This is coming from a guy who has bu as his number 1 choice.... I really don't think you could ever consider bu for more debt over gulc for less debt lol

Did you have a blank mailing in your status checker? (still waiting on scholly info, some ppl said had blank mailing before got scholly offer... Wondering if happened to everyone)

I have a blank mailing but haven't gotten any cash. I am on the opposite side of the country though so perhaps it jsut hasn't got here yet.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:59 am

Probably means you'll get yours soon. I'm starting to worry (bu told me on march 23 they're finalizing review of my file now and I'll know before April 15 deadline about scholly). Still nothing / no blank mailing... Hoping some ppl got offer without that blank mailing lol

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:02 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Probably means you'll get yours soon. I'm starting to worry (bu told me on march 23 they're finalizing review of my file now and I'll know before April 15 deadline about scholly). Still nothing / no blank mailing... Hoping some ppl got offer without that blank mailing lol

I feel ya bro, If i get some moneys I'll be in Boston for sure.

NDIrish2012

Postby NDIrish2012 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:54 pm

Hey, I do not have a blank mailing in my status checker. I emailed them today and just said they would need to match GULC and ND's offers in order for me to consider going... not much else I could say. You'd have to be crazy to go to BU over GULC if they were offering substantially less money.

georgeconstanza

Postby georgeconstanza » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Waitlisted. Pretty sure it was YP. But it came in just now, so be on the lookout, I guess.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Stupid question, but my admit packet is at home - when's the seat deposit deadline?

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:03 pm

Just got my financial aid letter in the mail. $0.

After loling at the idea of going to BU at sticker in my situation I immediately withdrew my admit.

Good luck everyone still waiting for word or on the waitlist!

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:45 pm

thelong wrote:Just got my financial aid letter in the mail. $0.

After loling at the idea of going to BU at sticker in my situation I immediately withdrew my admit.

yield protect via sticker price lol. You have much better offers, have fun with your T-14. Best of luck to you.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:52 pm

thelong wrote:Just got my financial aid letter in the mail. $0.

Great lol... BU just told me they mailed my financial aid packet last week and it should be arriving soon

BU is my number 1 choice if they could pony up some $$$, but if you got $0 I probably shouldn't be expecting much

edit: Just received letter/ $0

O well, I'm a Gopher

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:05 pm

When's the deposit deadline?

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Damn this sucks, sorry about the lack of cash. I'll probably be joining yal in that department as soon as my letter gets here.

Edit: Did yal receive this via postal mail or email?

whatismylife

Postby whatismylife » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:24 pm

$0 from BU!

time to withdraw. ggnorekthxbye.

afangel804

Postby afangel804 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Wait listed via e-mail. Withdrew.

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Just opened the mail and got 10k/year need based :)

Decimal

Postby Decimal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:25 pm

$15/year. Still waiting on Davis and USC though it's tempting given how I wasn't even expecting to be accepted. Torn between going to Boston and moving back to California where my family is.

staloysius

Postby staloysius » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:00 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck everyone.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:48 am

Any SoCal people attending? PM me

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Does anybody know when the school is planning to release the employment data for c/o 2011?

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:04 pm

freaknroll wrote:Does anybody know when the school is planning to release the employment data for c/o 2011?

+1

I put down a deposit for BU (even though I am hoping to get off of one of my WLs), but employment data will likely determine whether I actually go to BU next fall or reapply if I don't get off of a WL... it's hard for me to justify paying sticker for a school that is struggling with employing grads, and the mix of the current employment info they have on their site + the ranking drop makes me worry.

seems like a lot of people from the class of 2010 were employed by BU, didn't report salaries, had deferred starting dates, etc.. and I am SURE that more than 57% of the class of 2010 wanted a private sector law firm job.... I know that the whole market is struggling (or especially was in 2010) and that rankings aren't everything, but I can't see a drop in rankings coinciding with an improvement in employment prospects.. maybe I'm being ignorant and judgmental about BU, but the whole thing sketches me out a bit since it is such an expensive/high stakes decision

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:21 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:
freaknroll wrote:Does anybody know when the school is planning to release the employment data for c/o 2011?

+1

I put down a deposit for BU (even though I am hoping to get off of one of my WLs), but employment data will likely determine whether I actually go to BU next fall or reapply if I don't get off of a WL... it's hard for me to justify paying sticker for a school that is struggling with employing grads, and the mix of the current employment info they have on their site + the ranking drop makes me worry.

seems like a lot of people from the class of 2010 were employed by BU, didn't report salaries, had deferred starting dates, etc.. and I am SURE that more than 57% of the class of 2010 wanted a private sector law firm job.... I know that the whole market is struggling (or especially was in 2010) and that rankings aren't everything, but I can't see a drop in rankings coinciding with an improvement in employment prospects.. maybe I'm being ignorant and judgmental about BU, but the whole thing sketches me out a bit since it is such an expensive/high stakes decision

At the ASW the Dean did state that the 2011 statistics were going to be worse than the prior year; she didn't state in which ways or really elaborate on that point however.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”