Boston University c/o 2015 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DanSeiDan

New

Re: Boston University c/o 2015 Applicants

Post by DanSeiDan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:40 pm

anyone know about waitlist movement?

dveilleux

New

Post by dveilleux » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:50 am

No word yet... anyone else heard something in the last week or so?

Mac&Cheese89

New

Post by Mac&Cheese89 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:53 am

Is any one else taking out Graduate Federal PLUS loans? I'm just asking because I'm considering doing it.

And, on a related note, is it fair to assume that 1L's are taking 15 credit hours during both the fall and spring semesters? Once again, I'm just curious because I have to state that on the forms.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:13 am

Mac&Cheese89 wrote:Is any one else taking out Graduate Federal PLUS loans? I'm just asking because I'm considering doing it.

And, on a related note, is it fair to assume that 1L's are taking 15 credit hours during both the fall and spring semesters? Once again, I'm just curious because I have to state that on the forms.
Unless they've changed the program, you'll have an extra 3 credit class in spring. But, I thought we only had 13.5 hours our first semester (3 four hour classes plus writing).

KAMPV1091

New

Post by KAMPV1091 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:16 pm

I just got a phone call offering me admission off of the waitlist. I don't know what to do though. I'm in at Notre Dame with 10K each year and have sent the second deposit in there already. I'm also still waiting to hear back about Cornell's decision since I am on the reserve list there. BU is only giving me until Monday to make a decision. I just don't know if BU is a better choice than Notre Dame. Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KAMPV1091

New

Post by KAMPV1091 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:07 pm

And I just got an email saying BU gave me 15K...this is such a difficult decision

westcoast

Bronze

Post by westcoast » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:30 pm

KAMPV1091 wrote:And I just got an email saying BU gave me 15K...this is such a difficult decision
I feel your pain. I'm trying to decide between schools that are very, very different. I don't know anything about Notre Dame, but Boston is a great city for students. You'll be living an extremely urban lifestyle if you go to BU, so you'd have to be cool with that.

KAMPV1091

New

Post by KAMPV1091 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:41 pm

westcoast wrote:
KAMPV1091 wrote:And I just got an email saying BU gave me 15K...this is such a difficult decision
I feel your pain. I'm trying to decide between schools that are very, very different. I don't know anything about Notre Dame, but Boston is a great city for students. You'll be living an extremely urban lifestyle if you go to BU, so you'd have to be cool with that.
I went to BU for undergrad, so the urban life is something I am used to. The gorgeous campus of ND would have been a welcome change, but if BU could give me better job prospects in the future that would mean more to me that a beautiful landscape.

Mac&Cheese89

New

Post by Mac&Cheese89 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:54 am

cinephile wrote:
Mac&Cheese89 wrote:Is any one else taking out Graduate Federal PLUS loans? I'm just asking because I'm considering doing it.

Unless they've changed the program, you'll have an extra 3 credit class in spring. But, I thought we only had 13.5 hours our first semester (3 four hour classes plus writing).
Thanks for the help!
KAMPV1091 wrote:
westcoast wrote:
I went to BU for undergrad, so the urban life is something I am used to. The gorgeous campus of ND would have been a welcome change, but if BU could give me better job prospects in the future that would mean more to me that a beautiful landscape.
A quick word on Notre Dame. The campus of Notre Dame is absolutely beautiful. Moreover,the university itself does have a well-respected reputation which allows its graduates to go all around the nation. All this being said, South Bend is not Boston. The only decent bars are around Notre Dame, the selection of restaurants is rather tiny, public transportation is virtually non-existent, and the "downtown" part of SB is quite small and pretty damn quiet. More and more, the main (and, arguably enough, sole) attraction of SB is Notre Dame.

In short, while I'm not certain how much emphasis you're placing on the city that you're going to be studying in, you might want to consider the fact that South Bend really is a mid-western town which, apart from being home to Notre Dame, isn't particularly noteworthy, lively, or exciting (on the other hand, though, the town is only two hours from Chicago: 3 hours if you take the decrepit train which runs from SB to Chicago).

And yes, I am speaking from experience (I spent more than a few years of my life living in South Bend).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ionoiforgot

New

Post by ionoiforgot » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 am

KAMPV1091 wrote:
westcoast wrote:

I would presume the questions you have to answer are pretty obvious:
1. Which region do you prefer to work?
2. Which one has better job prospects?
3. Is the small difference in scholarship money a factor?

KAMPV1091

New

Post by KAMPV1091 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Mac&Cheese89 wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Thanks for the help!
KAMPV1091 wrote:
westcoast wrote:
A quick word on Notre Dame. The campus of Notre Dame is absolutely beautiful. Moreover,the university itself does have a well-respected reputation which allows its graduates to go all around the nation. All this being said, South Bend is not Boston. The only decent bars are around Notre Dame, the selection of restaurants is rather tiny, public transportation is virtually non-existent, and the "downtown" part of SB is quite small and pretty damn quiet. More and more, the main (and, arguably enough, sole) attraction of SB is Notre Dame.

In short, while I'm not certain how much emphasis you're placing on the city that you're going to be studying in, you might want to consider the fact that South Bend really is a mid-western town which, apart from being home to Notre Dame, isn't particularly noteworthy, lively, or exciting (on the other hand, though, the town is only two hours from Chicago: 3 hours if you take the decrepit train which runs from SB to Chicago).

And yes, I am speaking from experience (I spent more than a few years of my life living in South Bend).
hahha yeah going from living in Boston for undergrad to South Bend will be quite a change. Considering all the time I will be spending in the library though, the lack of distraction may be a good thing. I really am willing to sacrifice a lively city if in the long run ND will provide me with better job opportunities.

KAMPV1091

New

Post by KAMPV1091 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:27 pm

ionoiforgot wrote:
KAMPV1091 wrote:
westcoast wrote:

I would presume the questions you have to answer are pretty obvious:
1. Which region do you prefer to work?
2. Which one has better job prospects?
3. Is the small difference in scholarship money a factor?
I am hoping to end up in NYC, since I'm from just north of the area. Both seem to have roughly the same percentage of graduates employed in large law firms. They also both have a good number of graduates going to NYC. The one thing I can't seem to find is how many of those going to NYC from ND are working in top law firms as opposed to just taking lower paying public interest jobs. I feel like BU may offer more opportunity for those large firm positions but I'm just not sure.

Honestly, the small financial difference is making me consider BU more than I was, but I would ignore it if I knew that Notre Dame was the better option

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:36 pm

For people awarded scholarships at BU - were there any stipulations on yours?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:38 pm

any word on what the job prospects look like for BU grads now? (and next yr)? 2011 was a tough year. hopefully they've bounced back!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:41 am

bingbang1025 wrote:For people awarded scholarships at BU - were there any stipulations on yours?
Again, I don't have any specifics for this year's class, but historically it has always been good standing only.

Mizz

New

Post by Mizz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:17 am

bingbang1025 wrote:For people awarded scholarships at BU - were there any stipulations on yours?
Just full-time student with good standing.

StarLightSpectre

Bronze

Post by StarLightSpectre » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Just withdrew. 115K back in the pot. Good luck to you guys still on the waitlist.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”