Georgia State University c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ga0-3L

Re: Georgia State University c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ga0-3L » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:58 pm

SarahT wrote:I would go at 65 and above, if I had another option. I am already moving to Atlanta next week, so that narrows down my decisions. I won't pay sticker for Emory. I also won't pay the same amount for GSU as I would Emory.

I have already "bonded" myself emotionally with the idea of attending GSU, so they would really have to crash on the rankings and not give me a penny for me to change my mind.

I'm trying not to bond emotionally (though it is hard with PAWS)... I think I would lean very heavily if it moved into the top 50... but I am still in love with the idea of Emory. Also getting ALS would make a huge difference. But rankings wise it would have to move into that top 50 for the numbers to make any difference to me... or drop to like below 70.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
SarahT wrote:I would go at 65 and above, if I had another option. I am already moving to Atlanta next week, so that narrows down my decisions. I won't pay sticker for Emory. I also won't pay the same amount for GSU as I would Emory.

I have already "bonded" myself emotionally with the idea of attending GSU, so they would really have to crash on the rankings and not give me a penny for me to change my mind.

I'm trying not to bond emotionally (though it is hard with PAWS)... I think I would lean very heavily if it moved into the top 50... but I am still in love with the idea of Emory. Also getting ALS would make a huge difference. But rankings wise it would have to move into that top 50 for the numbers to make any difference to me... or drop to like below 70.

agreed on all parts

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Got a letter from GSU Law today. About missing documentation from my undergrad financial aid office (I'm still an undergrad until May). Thought the end might be of interest to those of you wondering/hoping for scholarships (ALS and otherwise)-

Please note: In the near future, we will be contacting you concerning your notification of award at your Georgia State University designated e-mail address.

So, check those GSU Law Emails folks!

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:Got a letter from GSU Law today. About missing documentation from my undergrad financial aid office (I'm still an undergrad until May). Thought the end might be of interest to those of you wondering/hoping for scholarships (ALS and otherwise)-

Please note: In the near future, we will be contacting you concerning your notification of award at your Georgia State University designated e-mail address.

I got one the other day reminding all of us to log in to PAWS. This was immediately after we had that discussion about Paws and Lexis Nexus. Wondering if they read the thread. I know Emory does as well as others schools.

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Last edited by kneedrag on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:27 pm

kneedrag wrote:No email here. Then again, I haven't sent in any financial info.... (whoops, was I supposed to do that?)

No need to worry - this is a second letter (different than the one about Paws) - and I'm pretty sure I only got it because I am not yet graduated. They told me before that they automatically pull the financial aid info of those of us who are in school... so I think that's why I got a second letter - they pulled my financials because I'm still in undergrad and I have missing documentation there so they want it - thus I get a second letter and not many others probably will. Not that they forgot any one or that I'm special... I just didn't do the paperwork at my current undergrad b/c I thought it didn't matter because I'm graduating.

But the important part is that financial offers are coming soon and that we will be told via email! Yay! Nuggets of info... Law school cycles are like scavenger hunts.... maybe they do it on purpose to prepare us for law school - or maybe I belong in law school because I think this way.

kroakstool

Postby kroakstool » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Are we supposed to have any information of PAWS? I don't have any financial info in there. Is that bad?

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:33 pm

kroakstool wrote:Are we supposed to have any information of PAWS? I don't have any financial info in there. Is that bad?

Did you complete your fasfa. And did you list them as a school on the fasfa so they can access it. It took about 2 weeks after I completed mine for my financial aid award info to be online.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:Got a letter from GSU Law today. About missing documentation from my undergrad financial aid office (I'm still an undergrad until May). Thought the end might be of interest to those of you wondering/hoping for scholarships (ALS and otherwise)-

Not to be a pessimist, but they may have meant financial aid awards....Last year, I heard that scholarships got phone calls.

kroakstool

Postby kroakstool » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:39 pm

SarahT wrote:
kroakstool wrote:Are we supposed to have any information of PAWS? I don't have any financial info in there. Is that bad?

Did you complete your fasfa. And did you list them as a school on the fasfa so they can access it. It took about 2 weeks after I completed mine for my financial aid award info to be online.

YaI did my fafsa and they were on there.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:45 pm

SarahT wrote:

Not to be a pessimist, but they may have meant financial aid awards....Last year, I heard that scholarships got phone calls.

Their financial aid setup on Paws is just like my undergrad and all throughout undergrad my scholarships would be listed there with my fin. aid award. Scholarships are fin. aid, too. My scholarships would be listed there, too - so I'm hoping, hoping.

Although, I'm sure we'll get phone calls, too.. and I think ALS may need to interview... I'm not sure, though- b/c there is so little information about ALS.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
SarahT wrote:

Their financial aid setup on Paws is just like my undergrad and all throughout undergrad my scholarships would be listed there with my fin. aid award. Scholarships are fin. aid, too. My scholarships would be listed there, too - so I'm hoping, hoping.

Although, I'm sure we'll get phone calls, too.. and I think ALS may need to interview... I'm not sure, though- b/c there is so little information about ALS.

I forwarded my panther mail to my yahoo account, just to be sure.

Post as soon as you hear and I will do the same (if when we hear)

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:24 pm

I forwarded my panther mail to my yahoo account, just to be sure.

^ This.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:36 am

Last year ALS came via phone call and never showed up in PAWS until the second week of classes. There was no interview.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:54 am

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Last year ALS came via phone call and never showed up in PAWS until the second week of classes. There was no interview.

I like you :wink:

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:25 pm

SarahT wrote:
NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Last year ALS came via phone call and never showed up in PAWS until the second week of classes. There was no interview.

I like you :wink:

^ This.

So curious as to what they look for, how people are selected.

fortitude

Postby fortitude » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:21 am

Question for the earlier debate on wait listed/hold

1. For those of you who were wait listed / hold how did you tell the difference? What did it say?

2. Is being on hold better than wait listed or the same?

This is what my email stated
"The Admissions Committee has reviewed your file, however, a final decision cannot be made at this time. A second review by the Committee is needed.

Because of the number of worthy applications we receive each year, decisions do not always come easily. Therefore, your file will be placed on hold until a further review is complete."

It did not say wait listed anywhere so I am guessing it is on hold due to what the email said.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:03 am

fortitude wrote:Question for the earlier debate on wait listed/hold

1. For those of you who were wait listed / hold how did you tell the difference? What did it say?

"The Admissions Committee has reviewed your file, however, a final decision cannot be made at this time. A second review by the Committee is needed.

Because of the number of worthy applications we receive each year, decisions do not always come easily. Therefore, your file will be placed on hold until a further review is complete."

It did not say wait listed anywhere so I am guessing it is on hold due to what the email said.

sounds like a hold.

This explains it well. http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/law-s ... -the-hold/

flem

Postby flem » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:37 am

fortitude wrote:Question for the earlier debate on wait listed/hold

Held.

Better than being waitlisted, apparently.

oxeatheman

Postby oxeatheman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Visiting GSU over my spring break, ill take pictures!

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:53 pm

oxeatheman wrote:Visiting GSU over my spring break, ill take pictures!

Dang.. you're on it... I'm just a 4 minute Marta ride away and I haven't made time to go check it out yet. Take pics for me too! ;)

roneman90

Postby roneman90 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
oxeatheman wrote:Visiting GSU over my spring break, ill take pictures!

Dang.. you're on it... I'm just a 4 minute Marta ride away and I haven't made time to go check it out yet. Take pics for me too! ;)

I'm going Friday.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:05 pm

No fin. aid info in my email today but I did get that Astro Jazz flier - and I'm TOTALLY going! That sounds like a really interesting time.

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Last edited by kneedrag on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:27 pm

kneedrag wrote:Has anyone contacted them separately (other than an actual scholarship application) after admittance and expressed interest and a desire to be considered for any other scholarships? Has anyone figured out if they offer scholarships outside of the specific ones they list on their website?

Ugh. I feel like no one ever reads earlier pages. Yes I have contacted them. Yes they offer other scholarships. Decisions will be made by April 15.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”