Georgia State University c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ga0-3L

Re: Georgia State University c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ga0-3L » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:17 am

SarahT wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
Tokahe wrote:SarahT - you said you could get LexisNexis access through uLearn. I've gotten my login and looked around, but can't find how to get into it. The closest I could find was a comment to contact the Law Library for more info. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yea I actually cannot access ULearn with my username and password.

Probably helping my competition, bbbbuuuuutttt.......

go here and login with your campus id (last name, first initial and sometime a number after) and your password.

https://login.ezproxy.gsu.edu/login?url ... nacademic/

;) Thank you! And thank you for helping "your competition!" I am a firm believer in helping...

On the subject of helping: I don't think it will ever set me back to be helpful to my fellow students, so long as I have the time/energy... do you guys think that people are really like you read sometimes? Stealing book pages, giving false notes, etc.? I can't imagine that kind of behavior gets you as far as say helping people, engendering trust, and being helped when you need it in return.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:21 am

kneedrag wrote:Just to point out.

ALS (which applications were due for a long time ago) is also NEED based, not just merit based (I personally didn't even apply because of that stipulation).

And if I had to bet, the 10% from LSN, is more likely 10% of matriculated students (so closer to 20 than 50).

I don't know how many ALS fellows are selected.

I know that with some of the other scholarships, there are in person interviews to determine the proper candidates, so you would know if you were a candidate that was selected.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the scholarships are only offered to one student (from a full tuition standpoint) which would limit the number pretty significantly.

http://law.gsu.edu/admissions/3920.html

I think you're right about the percentages... I hope that I do get ALS but I would understand if I didn't. The school hardly charges any thing at all - they can't afford to be any less expensive for most of us. Need-based doesn't exclude me, and especially with the special considerations section. I just wonder if they lean more towards gross income or after bills or special considerations. I feel like my special considerations are particularly compelling. I'm glad we're all talking about ALS anyway - at least this way, next year people will have a thread to refer back to! ;)

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:33 am

Ga0-3L wrote:
SarahT wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
Tokahe wrote:SarahT - you said you could get LexisNexis access through uLearn. I've gotten my login and looked around, but can't find how to get into it. The closest I could find was a comment to contact the Law Library for more info. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yea I actually cannot access ULearn with my username and password.

Probably helping my competition, bbbbuuuuutttt.......

go here and login with your campus id (last name, first initial and sometime a number after) and your password.

https://login.ezproxy.gsu.edu/login?url ... nacademic/

;) Thank you! And thank you for helping "your competition!" I am a firm believer in helping...

On the subject of helping: I don't think it will ever set me back to be helpful to my fellow students, so long as I have the time/energy... do you guys think that people are really like you read sometimes? Stealing book pages, giving false notes, etc.? I can't imagine that kind of behavior gets you as far as say helping people, engendering trust, and being helped when you need it in return.

That behavior likely would not get anyone far in life. It's too deceiving. Will I fully trust anyone outside of my "circle of trust" (seriously, I have one)? probably not.
Last edited by SarahT on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:36 am

Ga0-3L wrote:

ALS (which applications were due for a long time ago) is also NEED based, not just merit based (I personally didn't even apply because of that stipulation).

And if I had to bet, the 10% from LSN, is more likely 10% of matriculated students (so closer to 20 than 50).

I know that with some of the other scholarships, there are in person interviews to determine the proper candidates, so you would know if you were a candidate that was selected.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the scholarships are only offered to one student (from a full tuition standpoint) which would limit the number pretty significantly.

I think you're right about the percentages... I hope that I do get ALS but I would understand if I didn't. The school hardly charges any thing at all - they can't afford to be any less expensive for most of us. Need-based doesn't exclude me, and especially with the special considerations section. I just wonder if they lean more towards gross income or after bills or special considerations. I feel like my special considerations are particularly compelling. I'm glad we're all talking about ALS anyway - at least this way, next year people will have a thread to refer back to! ;)

I think hope they look at the whole picture. Childcare expenses, adjusted gross income, medical bills, etc.

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:46 am

Last edited by kneedrag on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tokahe

Postby Tokahe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks for the login help. Worked like a charm. :D

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:53 am

SarahT wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:

I think hope they look at the whole picture. Childcare expenses, adjusted gross income, medical bills, etc.

That's what I'm hoping for, too. I didn't go into it in my personal statement but I felt like ALS application gave me the opportunity to expand on other factors about my life that will heavily influence my "need" in law school. Re: my two special needs children.

I agree with you also - trust is earned and I tend to keep a wary eye but I hope that means that I am discerning and not untrusting. It is my absolute intention to help those that wish to help me and to work together so that we can all be our best possible selves. I'm hoping, at this point in my limited education, to go into public interest and I just want the best crop of students possible (myself included) to go out and help the world. *Cheeeeeesy Moment.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:55 am

kneedrag wrote:
SarahT wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:

I would think that would only make sense, but a lot of the admissions process doesn't make sense to me so what do I know?

Like I said: we need recordings lol. I'm so unsure as to what is and is not acceptable. I went so outside the box with my personal statement and I am left wondering: was it the PS that made the difference at some schools, was it my upward grade trend, was it my age, experience in the field? It might be fun to work in admissions one day - to get that inside look.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Okay, so last year in mid-March is when $ was distributed. So here's to obsessing these next two weeks.

Include that in the new 2013 US News & World Report Law School Rankings and mid-March is looking pretty good.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:33 pm

SarahT wrote:Okay, so last year in mid-March is when $ was distributed. So here's to obsessing these next two weeks.

Include that in the new 2013 US News & World Report Law School Rankings and mid-March is looking pretty good.

OMG OMG OMG ...

Supurbia

Postby Supurbia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:45 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
SarahT wrote:Okay, so last year in mid-March is when $ was distributed. So here's to obsessing these next two weeks.

OMG OMG OMG ...

I heard US News and Report usually came out in April. I am very anxious about scholarship info though! I wonder if waiver info comes out at the same time. OOS :|

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Supurbia wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:

OMG OMG OMG ...

I heard US News and Report usually came out in April. I am very anxious about scholarship info though! I wonder if waiver info comes out at the same time. OOS :|

It does. But it is usually "leaked" a few weeks early. Here's hoping for another rise for GSU.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:57 pm

SarahT wrote:
Supurbia wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:

OMG OMG OMG ...

It does. But it is usually "leaked" a few weeks early. Here's hoping for another rise for GSU.

For real!!!!

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Do you guys know of a place that shows the rankings over the last many years? For all the law schools? Just wondering.

Supurbia

Postby Supurbia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:00 pm

SarahT wrote:
Supurbia wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:

OMG OMG OMG ...

*crossing my fingers* I've read that Atlanta is finally coming out of its rut and growing again! I think we may be in for a nice bump in rankings.

Supurbia

Postby Supurbia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:12 pm

http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present

most recent years can be viewed on here
Last edited by Supurbia on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:13 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

GSU specifically 2011-61 2010- 60 2009- 65

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Midmarch is really the perfect time for them to be leaked... just before anyone commits.

Thanks guys.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:36 pm

SarahT wrote:
Supurbia wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:

OMG OMG OMG ...

Yep, you're right - "Robert Morse, Director of Data Research for U.S. News & World Report, announced today that the 2013 law school rankings will be published online on March 13, 2012. The 2013 edition of Best Graduate Schools will be available for sale on newstands on April 3, 2012."

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Just in time for us all to celebrate on St. Patrick's day!

(and hopefully not just drink away our disappointment)

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:03 pm

kneedrag wrote:Just in time for us all to celebrate on St. Patrick's day!

Interesting thought: would it change anyone's mind? And if so- how much ratings change would it take to change minds?

Supurbia

Postby Supurbia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:

Interesting thought: would it change anyone's mind? And if so- how much ratings change would it take to change minds?

If GSU fell more than 10 rankings I would not attend. Otherwise it is at the top of my list with the contingency of scholarship money. I would put my money on it doing even better and continue the positive trend of the past 6 years.

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:

No, the misery was more in reference to the scholarship decisions.

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:31 pm

Supurbia wrote: I would put my money on it doing even better and continue the positive trend of the past 6 years.

I would probably tend to agree with you. At least I hope so!

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:51 pm

I would go at 65 and above, if I had another option. I am already moving to Atlanta next week, so that narrows down my decisions. I won't pay sticker for Emory. I also won't pay the same amount for GSU as I would Emory.

I have already "bonded" myself emotionally with the idea of attending GSU, so they would really have to crash on the rankings and not give me a penny for me to change my mind.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”