Georgia State University c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ga0-3L

Re: Georgia State University c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ga0-3L » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:01 pm

SarahT wrote:financial aid info is up on my paws, but no awards.....yet (hopefully)

Just talked to financial aid- they said we'd know by direct contact before they would about scholarships/als.

Supurbia

Postby Supurbia » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:08 pm

I want to go ahead and ask for instate tuition for the first year, but I don't want to low ball my scholarship capabilities.... anyone know what scholarships were like last year?

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:27 pm

I spoke to Dean Jester-George this morning regarding some questions I had. She did state that "by the end of the month" meaning March info would be available for scholarships.

That being said, although I was a complete nervous wreck, we have a nice discussion and she, as well as the admissions secretary (?) were inviting and friendly. I really hope GSU works out for me. This is now my top pick.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:42 pm

SarahT wrote:I spoke to Dean Jester-George this morning regarding some questions I had. She did state that "by the end of the month" meaning March info would be available for scholarships.

That being said, although I was a complete nervous wreck, we have a nice discussion and she, as well as the admissions secretary (?) were inviting and friendly. I really hope GSU works out for me. This is now my top pick.

Really? Can I ask you to explain why? Gsu was always mine through undergrad Bc of location and value... but now I'm leaning towards Emory... I would love to hear moe about a personal impression.....

Also... on a nuerotic note... did Dr. Jester-George sound like the type of person who would ding me on my ALS fellows application for addressing Dr. George?

Supurbia

Postby Supurbia » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:51 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
SarahT wrote:I spoke to Dean Jester-George this morning regarding some questions I had. She did state that "by the end of the month" meaning March info would be available for scholarships.

Really? Can I ask you to explain why? Gsu was always mine through undergrad Bc of location and value... but now I'm leaning towards Emory... I would love to hear moe about a personal impression.....

Also... on a nuerotic note... did Dr. Jester-George sound like the type of person who would ding me on my ALS fellows application for addressing Dr. George?

It destroys Emory in value... And from what I have read its placement is great aside from clerkships which UGA beats both GSU and Emory

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 pm

Last edited by kneedrag on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:03 pm

I am considering returning to Puerto Rico to practice sometime in the future... this has influenced my decision some... Bc of all those who say Ga state.is great IF You STAY... worries me....

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:23 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:

No way. She was very personable and approachable. I even got her to laugh. *brownie points for me*

Good luck on your ALS. That's what I'm waiting for as well.

My reasons for GSU are simple. I am a non-traditional student (30 years old) and my husband is even older. We have 2 kids. I really don't need any more student loans, especially since the dh is staring his 40's in the face.

I've enjoyed the interactions I've had with the current student and the staff there. My interactions with Emory have been few and far between (although this may be partially my fault since I was leaning toward GSU anyways).

Supurbia

Postby Supurbia » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I'd think long and hard before taking out a substantial loan to go to Emory. As of now if you aren't in the top 10% of your class, it is a regional school too. Also, Emory has been getting a LOT of bad press and I can only see its reach into other markets getting worse.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:30 pm

Does income-based repayment figure into your planning at all? I am also a mother of two, with a husband in tow, and ibr. is really playing into my decisions (which dulls. Ga state value points)...

SarahT wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:

No way. She was very personable and approachable. I even got her to laugh. *brownie points for me*

Good luck on your ALS. That's what I'm waiting for as well.

My reasons for GSU are simple. I am a non-traditional student (30 years old) and my husband is even older. We have 2 kids. I really don't need any more student loans, especially since the dh is staring his 40's in the face.

I've enjoyed the interactions I've had with the current student and the staff there. My interactions with Emory have been few and far between (although this may be partially my fault since I was leaning toward GSU anyways).

oxeatheman

Postby oxeatheman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:36 pm

What is this PAWS thing everyone is speaking off?

I really should have read my admissions letter...

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:41 pm

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:01 pm

oxeatheman wrote:What is this PAWS thing everyone is speaking off?

I really should have read my admissions letter...

The info will be on your admit email. Its confusing at first since you have a campus id, student number, email, and tons of other identifiers. There are tons of perks I found, including ulearn and library access, as well as LexisNexis for 0L reading.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:24 pm

I looked at an old GA State waiting, or maybe it was newly accepted, thread - and somebody said they were a finalist for full scholarship but got a tiny one instead... that was the only mention of anybody receiving a scholarship from GA State - I could see. I haven't seen any mention of ALS, how it works or breaks down, who got it... no way to track that I've found. I did see some attorneys practicing for firms that had ALS on their profile but that's it...

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:I looked at an old GA State waiting, or maybe it was newly accepted, thread - and somebody said they were a finalist for full scholarship but got a tiny one instead... that was the only mention of anybody receiving a scholarship from GA State - I could see. I haven't seen any mention of ALS, how it works or breaks down, who got it... no way to track that I've found. I did see some attorneys practicing for firms that had ALS on their profile but that's it...

I do know of one person (ALS) last year, who contacted me through this site (personal message) with the same numbers as me, as well as non-traditional. The only difference, is I am a URM as well and he wasn't. He said he got the call early March.

There are numerous other scholarship that are available. Lets look at the numbers. THere are 20 or so regular posters in this thread.

There are 510 admitted, with 10% getting full scholarships. That makes about 50 people. Out of the 20 people regularly posting on here, only 2 would get a full scholarship (10%a ccording to regular numbers). Who else is up for the ALS? If it's just us, then there are your two. Problem solved. See, now we celebrate :idea: :lol:
http://gsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:47 pm

SarahT wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:I looked at an old GA State waiting, or maybe it was newly accepted, thread - and somebody said they were a finalist for full scholarship but got a tiny one instead... that was the only mention of anybody receiving a scholarship from GA State - I could see. I haven't seen any mention of ALS, how it works or breaks down, who got it... no way to track that I've found. I did see some attorneys practicing for firms that had ALS on their profile but that's it...

I do know of one person (ALS) last year, who contacted me through this site (personal message) with the same numbers as me, as well as non-traditional. The only difference, is I am a URM as well and he wasn't. He said he got the call early March.

There are numerous other scholarship that are available. Lets look at the numbers. THere are 20 or so regular posters in this thread.

There are 510 admitted, with 10% getting full scholarships. That makes about 50 people. Out of the 20 people regularly posting on here, only 2 would get a full scholarship (10%a ccording to regular numbers). Who else is up for the ALS? If it's just us, then there are your two. Problem solved. See, now we celebrate :idea: :lol:
http://gsu.lawschoolnumbers.com/

But those scholarships you speak of are they merit-based or ALS? Because opportunity to apply for ALS is merit-based but selection is partly financial need based. So when we discuss full scholarships are we discussing full scholarships that are merit-based or that are ALS merit/financial need based?

I have a feeling from the ALS application that it is way more financial leaning than merit.. like merit just gets you that application and that's it. Now what do they consider determining factors and how are they ranked?

It's all too much.. my head'sploded now.

Supurbia

Postby Supurbia » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Are you up for ALS little miss brainy? And is this something that you have the file a fafsa for to qualify for?

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:51 pm

I wish that with our acceptances we got a video or mp3 recording of how they decided. I wonder what it is that they look for in an app. packet.
Last edited by Ga0-3L on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Supurbia wrote:Are you up for ALS little miss brainy? And is this something that you have the file a fafsa for to qualify for?

Yes, I'm up for it. I think every one with scores over a certain number are up for it. I think you probably do have to file a fafsa to prove what you say but I don't remember... I had already filed my fafsa anyway so I didn't pay much attention. The application asks exclusively financial questions. Your income/spouse's, special financial considerations, medical bills, housing/utility/debt... it's really, really in-depth about your finances. I'm not sure what the numbers are for income they are looking for or what special considerations they consider.

Supurbia

Postby Supurbia » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
Supurbia wrote:Are you up for ALS little miss brainy? And is this something that you have the file a fafsa for to qualify for?

Yes, I'm up for it. I think every one with scores over a certain number are up for it. I think you probably do have to file a fafsa to prove what you say but I don't remember... I had already filed my fafsa anyway so I didn't pay much attention. The application asks exclusively financial questions. Your income/spouse's, special financial considerations, medical bills, housing/utility/debt... it's really, really in-depth about your finances. I'm not sure what the numbers are for income they are looking for or what special considerations they consider.

I would love that recording too! My numbers are slightly above yours; so, I guess I either need to file a fafsa or I do not qualify financially. I don't remember putting household income on the application though... I dunno. I wonder if it is too late to become eligible. OOS sticker is cheaper than other schools but still a lot of money.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Supurbia wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:

I would love that recording too! My numbers are slightly above yours; so, I guess I either need to file a fafsa or I do not qualify financially. I don't remember putting household income on the application though... I dunno. I wonder if it is too late to become eligible. OOS sticker is cheaper than other schools but still a lot of money.

Not on the GSU application, on the ALS application. The ALS application was one of the letters that came in the acceptance packet.... it didn't look special, just like any other piece of paper... inviting you to apply. Maybe you overlooked it?

Tokahe

Postby Tokahe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 pm

SarahT - you said you could get LexisNexis access through uLearn. I've gotten my login and looked around, but can't find how to get into it. The closest I could find was a comment to contact the Law Library for more info. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Tokahe wrote:SarahT - you said you could get LexisNexis access through uLearn. I've gotten my login and looked around, but can't find how to get into it. The closest I could find was a comment to contact the Law Library for more info. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yea I actually cannot access ULearn with my username and password.

SarahT

Postby SarahT » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:57 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
Tokahe wrote:SarahT - you said you could get LexisNexis access through uLearn. I've gotten my login and looked around, but can't find how to get into it. The closest I could find was a comment to contact the Law Library for more info. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yea I actually cannot access ULearn with my username and password.

Probably helping my competition, bbbbuuuuutttt.......

go here and login with your campus id (last name, first initial and sometime a number after) and your password.

https://login.ezproxy.gsu.edu/login?url ... nacademic/

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:18 am

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”