Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
epistemizer
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby epistemizer » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:47 pm

SteelersGal90 wrote:(and ugliest..I'm sorry I'm not sorry but "y'all" have nothing on us Yankees) .


April Fools!! :lol:

michael5884
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:37 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby michael5884 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:23 pm

Is it too late to sign a lease for an apartment or home in mid June? I will not be able to make it to Georgia until then. I have a wife and one small child, and would not want to wait too long and have all the good places taken already. Also, does anyone know of any good family oriented neighborhoods? Thanks for your help.

User avatar
epistemizer
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby epistemizer » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:24 pm

michael5884 wrote:Is it too late to sign a lease for an apartment or home in mid June? I will not be able to make it to Georgia until then. I have a wife and one small child, and would not want to wait too long and have all the good places taken already. Also, does anyone know of any good family oriented neighborhoods? Thanks for your help.


Michael, are you hoping to stay as close to campus as possible, or would you be willing to live, say, 15 minutes away?

michael5884
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:37 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby michael5884 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:58 pm

epistemizer wrote:
michael5884 wrote:Is it too late to sign a lease for an apartment or home in mid June? I will not be able to make it to Georgia until then. I have a wife and one small child, and would not want to wait too long and have all the good places taken already. Also, does anyone know of any good family oriented neighborhoods? Thanks for your help.


Michael, are you hoping to stay as close to campus as possible, or would you be willing to live, say, 15 minutes away?


Living fifteen minutes away would not be a problem, but I prefer to live along the bus line. I know this gets harder to do as you move away from campus. My number one priority is finding a quiet place to live, even if it is a little more expensive.

pballer
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby pballer » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:55 pm

SteelersGal90 wrote:Visited yesterday for the Open House. The school itself is absolutely gorgeous but I was shocked at how rude and unfriendly everyone was. I sat down and introduced myself to a group of girls who just stared at me and continued their conversation. I haven't been socially ostracized like that since middle school. And never by adult women. Like, really? One girl was in my section when we broke off and a guy she had been tailing (who was from the midwest, go figure) came to talk to me. She acted as though she hadn't met me and tried to ice me out of the conversation. SERIOUSLY? The current law school students were alright, but the admitted students were very dismissive and had an air of superiority that I haven't seen at some of the Ivy leagues I've visited. And been accepted to. Georgia is a good law school, but give me a break. Unless you go to Harvard, there is no reason to be a snob. It was also VERY obvious that they don't like out of state students. If you are not from Georgia or go to undergrad there, DO NOT GO TO THIS LAW SCHOOL. I had about a dozen people tell me that I wouldn't be able to get a [ERROR: 404] since I didn't grow up in Georgia which is total bullshit but the fact that people would actually say that...just shows how superficial and ridiculous people can be. Also, everyone was either a current student or graduate of UGA. I was really considering UGA and excited to visit because I wanted to move South for law school and work there after graduation. After I spent four hours at the Open House, I practically ran from the building. It's too bad that there is still that kind of behavior from adults...but I am glad I now know that I would rather not go to law school at all then suffer through 3 years with some of the nastiest (and ugliest..I'm sorry I'm not sorry but "y'all" have nothing on us Yankees) people I've ever met. I will be going to a law school that shows a little more class. Makes my decision hard though, since every other law school I've visited showed more class than UGA.


If this is a legitimate post and not a flame, I'm sorry that you had that experience. I'm an out-of-state 1L this year and have had no issues whatsoever with UGA undergrad or Georgia exclusivity.

gregfootball2001
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby gregfootball2001 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:40 pm

Though I did not attend the open house, I did go to the admitted students reception at Jones Day. Everyone I spoke to, admitted students, 1Ls, admissions staff, and JD people (associates and partners) were all extremely friendly. Was hard to leave at the end, everyone wanted to keep talking. Just my experience. I'm very sorry yours was different at the open house, but I wouldn't say all admitted students are snobbish.

In terms, of housing, I'd be interested in learning more about the closer housing as well. When do people usually lease for Sept? May-ish? Thanks!

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby eandy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:06 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:Though I did not attend the open house, I did go to the admitted students reception at Jones Day. Everyone I spoke to, admitted students, 1Ls, admissions staff, and JD people (associates and partners) were all extremely friendly. Was hard to leave at the end, everyone wanted to keep talking. Just my experience. I'm very sorry yours was different at the open house, but I wouldn't say all admitted students are snobbish.

In terms, of housing, I'd be interested in learning more about the closer housing as well. When do people usually lease for Sept? May-ish? Thanks!

Leases are normally a year long. They typically start some time in early August and end at the end of July. I'd recommend as a 1L to live within walking distance, even if it is a little overpriced. Look at University Tower, Steeplechase, 755 Broad, 909 Broad, etc. Avoid River Mill--it has rodent/cockroach issues like mad and the parking is a disaster.

User avatar
mxmatt137
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mxmatt137 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:44 am

pballer wrote:
SteelersGal90 wrote:Visited yesterday for the Open House. The school itself is absolutely gorgeous but I was shocked at how rude and unfriendly everyone was. I sat down and introduced myself to a group of girls who just stared at me and continued their conversation. I haven't been socially ostracized like that since middle school. And never by adult women. Like, really? One girl was in my section when we broke off and a guy she had been tailing (who was from the midwest, go figure) came to talk to me. She acted as though she hadn't met me and tried to ice me out of the conversation. SERIOUSLY? The current law school students were alright, but the admitted students were very dismissive and had an air of superiority that I haven't seen at some of the Ivy leagues I've visited. And been accepted to. Georgia is a good law school, but give me a break. Unless you go to Harvard, there is no reason to be a snob. It was also VERY obvious that they don't like out of state students. If you are not from Georgia or go to undergrad there, DO NOT GO TO THIS LAW SCHOOL. I had about a dozen people tell me that I wouldn't be able to get a [ERROR: 404] since I didn't grow up in Georgia which is total bullshit but the fact that people would actually say that...just shows how superficial and ridiculous people can be. Also, everyone was either a current student or graduate of UGA. I was really considering UGA and excited to visit because I wanted to move South for law school and work there after graduation. After I spent four hours at the Open House, I practically ran from the building. It's too bad that there is still that kind of behavior from adults...but I am glad I now know that I would rather not go to law school at all then suffer through 3 years with some of the nastiest (and ugliest..I'm sorry I'm not sorry but "y'all" have nothing on us Yankees) people I've ever met. I will be going to a law school that shows a little more class. Makes my decision hard though, since every other law school I've visited showed more class than UGA.


If this is a legitimate post and not a flame, I'm sorry that you had that experience. I'm an out-of-state 1L this year and have had no issues whatsoever with UGA undergrad or Georgia exclusivity.


I'm not sure how or why you had this kind of experience, but coming from out of state to UGA (and knowing absolutely nobody at the school upon arriving) I can honestly say I had an awesome time and had pleasant encounters with every single person I spoke to. I had several faculty/staff personally introduce themselves to me and take time to answer any questions I had, current students that not only answered questions but were happy to have a regular conversation, and admitted students that were great. I ended up having dinner and drinks with several people I met at the open house on Saturday night. I wasn't too sold on UGA before, but after Saturday I am very seriously considering moving in August.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 am

Nobody I talked to spoke of 404 errors.
there was some chick that kept trying to talk about how big ben got screwed over and how she'd love to hang out with him in a bar bathroom. she was like a 6.5 at best though

eta: could you post pictures of yourself so we can decide if you were ostracized for being too hot, too ugly, or just annoyingly interruptive?

ahenson7
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ahenson7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Hoping someone on here has some helpful information. I applied in February (late in the cycle, I know) and my application has been "in review" ever since. I have seat deposits at other schools coming up, and would really like to know one way or the other.
I called admissions and the woman who answered the phone claims that they may not have a decision until June. As in I won't even know if I'm waitlisted until June. Granted, she sounded slightly confused.

Does that sound right? I would think they would at least let applicants know if they were waitlisted by the first seat deposit...

jabberwock12
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jabberwock12 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:59 am

Class of 2015 thread for those of you that have decided on Georgia!


viewtopic.php?f=32&t=181142&p=5379355#p5379355

Impending1L
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Impending1L » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:04 am

Recently admitted off the waitlist and pretty fired up. I'm from New England, though, and worried a little about how employers will view a yankee when it comes time for OCI and such. Can anyone speak on this??

User avatar
georgia32
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby georgia32 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:34 am

Mind PMing me your numbers? I'm hoping to get off that WL, I'm contemplating trying to get another LOR to send to them.

User avatar
kroakstool
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kroakstool » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:18 am

Impending1L wrote:Recently admitted off the waitlist and pretty fired up. I'm from New England, though, and worried a little about how employers will view a yankee when it comes time for OCI and such. Can anyone speak on this??


It won't matter. If you're trying for biglaw, they just care about hiring good lawyers. The onl time it would matter would be mid-size to small firms that look to hire good ole boys.

User avatar
mxmatt137
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mxmatt137 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 am

kroakstool wrote:
Impending1L wrote:Recently admitted off the waitlist and pretty fired up. I'm from New England, though, and worried a little about how employers will view a yankee when it comes time for OCI and such. Can anyone speak on this??


It won't matter. If you're trying for biglaw, they just care about hiring good lawyers. The onl time it would matter would be mid-size to small firms that look to hire good ole boys.


To add to this it may be helpful (especially when looking for 2L summer employment) to have become a GA resident. You'll want to do this anyway so that you qualify for in state tuition your second and third year. This will also show the employers that you are not simply looking for a paid summer gig only to return to the NE after you graduate. I think as long as they know you aren't planning to leave you will have no disadvantage.

legalJacket
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby legalJacket » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:32 pm

Has anyone had any recent success in negotiating merit aid? With the recent non-binding scholarship commitment deadline, I'm wondering if anyone has seen any thawing yet.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby eandy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Some thoughts on out of state/job search issues from an out-of-state kid:

1. I think a lot of you guys, understandably, don't understand yet that the big challenge in law school job search, for the vast majority of people, is getting interviews. Your resume doesn't say whether you are in-state or not (nor should it). Show employers you are interested in staying in GA other ways--get involved in your community. Join local bar chapters or legal organizations, volunteer with local charities, etc. Put that stuff on your resume, where they will actually take what you say into account in the crucial stage of the process. For a lot of jobs, if you have an interview, they've already decided they'll hire you--they just want to make sure you don't suck as a person/that they can handle having to hang out with you 12hrs a day. The interview is important, but your resume is much more so, IMO. On this note, if you want to stay in GA, really try hard to get a 1L job in GA, rather than working with your dad's golf buddy at home. Don't turn down something a lot more prestigious/paid, but if it is about the same, go GA without a doubt if you are trying to show commitment.

2. You can and will still get jobs in GA from being out of state, just don't think that telling employers "I'M IN-STATE NOW. I AM NOT LEAVING" is a good answer. You WILL be asked in every interview about being from out-of-state. I had 8 or so interviews for jobs in Georgia, and in all of them, they asked me to tell them I'm not leaving and why in some way or another. Just get a good answer for that. You'll be fine if you seem sincere and genuine telling them you like GA, you are putting down roots here, etc.

3. Big firms care less about roots, but if you are not in the top 50 or so people in the class you will NOT get an interview, and you'll have to go the public interest route or apply to smaller firms who care a bit more about roots. In addition, big Atlanta firms still definitely ask "why Atlanta?" and expect a good "why Atlanta?" answer. "I went to UGA!" is not good enough. In the Spring of your 1L year, you'll get to do a mock interview with interviewers from Troutman Sanders, Alston & Bird, Jones Day, etc. and you can talk to them about what kinds of things are good in response to that question. This is helpful even if you aren't interested in working in a big firm.

4. If you fail at getting a job here, or just don't want to, UGA can get you jobs back home, too. You just have to do all the work yourself. Career services can try to help, can counsel you, and they can try to get you access to job listings from law schools in New England, too. However, just expect to be finding most of the opportunities yourself. I know some people who have gotten jobs in their home states just fine. We also have a huge alumni base you can talk to--in any state, you are going to find some UGA law grads, and in my experience, they're pretty happy to help.

tl;dr: You can absolutely get a job in GA if you are from out of state. It just takes some thoughtful demonstration of your commitment to GA. Some employers won't care much at all, though they may still ask you about it to see what you say. It is also possible to get a job just about anywhere--UGA has lots of out-of-state listings and if you are willing to do some work yourself, you can find lots of other opportunities. A LARGE number of UGA law students are actually NOT from GA and didn't attend UGA. You will not be some kind of oddball. Don't worry about it too much, you just need to have a strategy from the beginning. :D

ahenson7
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ahenson7 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:00 pm

I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words can't describe how excited I am :)

bluebubble05
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bluebubble05 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:10 am

ahenson7 wrote:I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words can't describe how excited I am :)


congrats, i'm super jealous.

ahenson7
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ahenson7 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:14 am

bluebubble05 wrote:
ahenson7 wrote:I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words can't describe how excited I am :)


congrats, i'm super jealous.


Thank you!! I keep checking the acceptance email to make sure it's real. Lol.

User avatar
kroakstool
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kroakstool » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:24 am

ahenson7 wrote:
bluebubble05 wrote:
ahenson7 wrote:I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words can't describe how excited I am :)


congrats, i'm super jealous.


Thank you!! I keep checking the acceptance email to make sure it's real. Lol.


I just graduated from Kennesaw and I am going crazy trying to figure out who this is.

ahenson7
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ahenson7 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:18 am

kroakstool wrote:
ahenson7 wrote:
bluebubble05 wrote:
ahenson7 wrote:I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words can't describe how excited I am :)


congrats, i'm super jealous.


Thank you!! I keep checking the acceptance email to make sure it's real. Lol.


I just graduated from Kennesaw and I am going crazy trying to figure out who this is.


I'll pm you. Lol.

gregfootball2001
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby gregfootball2001 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:52 am

ahenson7 wrote:I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words can't describe how excited I am :)


Congrats! Should I assume from the excitement that you'll be attending in the fall? Looking forward to meeting you.

bluebubble05 wrote:
ahenson7 wrote:I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words can't describe how excited I am :)


congrats, i'm super jealous.


Good luck. It's still before the seat deposit deadline, so hopefully some seats will open up then.

in2win
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:40 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby in2win » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:00 am

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for admissions to respond to emails normally. I've sent a couple fairly important emails and have yet to get a response to either. Starting to think they didn't even read them

bluebubble05
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bluebubble05 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:18 am

in2win wrote:Can anyone tell me how long it takes for admissions to respond to emails normally. I've sent a couple fairly important emails and have yet to get a response to either. Starting to think they didn't even read them


Umm, I think the general ugajd email takes a while, if at all. I emailed Ramsey Bridges and Dean Paul Rollins, took 1-3 days, depending on day of the week, but they definitely responded.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, addie1412, Aquinas, canafsa, chili_davis, Houzy, jdanz, leqtpie, lonola, mse2020, NotAGolfer, Pugnax, sspeckk, taxman14, Torres1893, vho1791, xholdman and 39 guests