Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
BKCentral
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BKCentral » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 pm

painttherosesred wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
georgia32 wrote:Wait listed today via status checker. What is you guys thoughts on sending a LOCI (how soon)? UGA is my first choice.


I'm going to wait at least two weeks...


+1


What is the point in waiting? If you're waiting to maybe get off the WL, you certainly aren't going to be accepted in the next 2 weeks randomly. They would have just accepted you in the first place. Go ahead and write one as soon as you have the chance. It will show that you are not happy with your WL placement and will only show your eagerness to get off it (and therefore your zeal to go to UGA). Anything to get you a leg up on the countless other prospectives on the WL is key. You never know how few (or any at all) people they will take from the WL.

Lvaughn714
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Lvaughn714 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:57 pm

So I just got matched with a student host for WIPI housing. I am 23 year old female and they are having me stay with a guy who lives alone with his 2 dogs. I'm sure he is a perfectly nice guy but does that seem a little odd to anyone else? In the email the Admin clearly refers to me as "she" so it's not like they somehow confused my gender...

User avatar
georgia32
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby georgia32 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:13 pm

BKCentral wrote:
painttherosesred wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
georgia32 wrote:Wait listed today via status checker. What is you guys thoughts on sending a LOCI (how soon)? UGA is my first choice.


I'm going to wait at least two weeks...


+1


What is the point in waiting? If you're waiting to maybe get off the WL, you certainly aren't going to be accepted in the next 2 weeks randomly. They would have just accepted you in the first place. Go ahead and write one as soon as you have the chance. It will show that you are not happy with your WL placement and will only show your eagerness to get off it (and therefore your zeal to go to UGA). Anything to get you a leg up on the countless other prospectives on the WL is key. You never know how few (or any at all) people they will take from the WL.


Just finished writing a draft, I was thinking about possibly hand writing it? Is that overkill do you think? haha

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:17 pm

JustE wrote:
pballer wrote:
JustE wrote:Yeah... really random....


Based on your other results, this looks like classic yield protect.

Edit: If you have a legitimate interest in going to UGA still, I'd send a LOCI. A waitlist that's really the result of a yield protect is probably intended to gauge whether you actually want to go here relative to some of the others schools that you have access to.


Hmmm... Might fire one off. Thing is, I need to decide pretty soon. If I'm a Michigan Summer Starter, I'll need to iron out a lease and make final plans in the next month and a half... Just don't think it was meant to be...


Well, I'm not sure what happened, but I'm in off the WL! Going to make sure I'm at the admitted student events. I look forward to seeing you guys around!

E

User avatar
LittleBlueBird
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LittleBlueBird » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:20 pm

JustE wrote:Well, I'm not sure what happened, but I'm in off the WL! Going to make sure I'm at the admitted student events. I look forward to seeing you guys around!

E


Congrats!

Did you call them or get around to doing the LOCI?

User avatar
Ga0-3L
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ga0-3L » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:23 pm

BKCentral wrote:
painttherosesred wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
georgia32 wrote:Wait listed today via status checker. What is you guys thoughts on sending a LOCI (how soon)? UGA is my first choice.


I'm going to wait at least two weeks...


+1


What is the point in waiting? If you're waiting to maybe get off the WL, you certainly aren't going to be accepted in the next 2 weeks randomly. They would have just accepted you in the first place. Go ahead and write one as soon as you have the chance. It will show that you are not happy with your WL placement and will only show your eagerness to get off it (and therefore your zeal to go to UGA). Anything to get you a leg up on the countless other prospectives on the WL is key. You never know how few (or any at all) people they will take from the WL.


The letter says that some will be off the WL within a week. So, I'm going to wait and see if I'm one of those. If not, then I will write an LOCI. 2 weeks is nothing in their world, I'm sure they won't be counting the days for my LOCI.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby john1990 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:12 pm

wait-listed today

3.32/166

worst cycle everr

roba
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby roba » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Accepted today via email in a very blasé manner. Three emails, first had a link to the Class of 2015 Admitted Student Page, second was an invite to the Jones Day Reception, last was for a public interest celebration weekend. I expected to see a change on the status checker or snail mail but they've both been letting me down.

164/3.34, UGA undergrad, originally on the wait list. I'm waiting to hear back from GA State (I love Atlanta and Athens is getting boring) so I may be withdrawing in the near future.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:00 pm

roba wrote:Accepted today via email in a very blasé manner. Three emails, first had a link to the Class of 2015 Admitted Student Page, second was an invite to the Jones Day Reception, last was for a public interest celebration weekend. I expected to see a change on the status checker or snail mail but they've both been letting me down.

164/3.34, UGA undergrad, originally on the wait list. I'm waiting to hear back from GA State (I love Atlanta and Athens is getting boring) so I may be withdrawing in the near future.


Same story here. Congrats!

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:01 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:
JustE wrote:Well, I'm not sure what happened, but I'm in off the WL! Going to make sure I'm at the admitted student events. I look forward to seeing you guys around!

E


Congrats!

Did you call them or get around to doing the LOCI?


Nope. Hadn't gotten around to it yet. Just sounds like they're going to their WL earlier than I would have expected them to... Maybe they're just being really careful with their yield?

painttherosesred
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby painttherosesred » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:02 pm

BKCentral wrote:
painttherosesred wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
georgia32 wrote:Wait listed today via status checker. What is you guys thoughts on sending a LOCI (how soon)? UGA is my first choice.


I'm going to wait at least two weeks...


+1


What is the point in waiting? If you're waiting to maybe get off the WL, you certainly aren't going to be accepted in the next 2 weeks randomly. They would have just accepted you in the first place. Go ahead and write one as soon as you have the chance. It will show that you are not happy with your WL placement and will only show your eagerness to get off it (and therefore your zeal to go to UGA). Anything to get you a leg up on the countless other prospectives on the WL is key. You never know how few (or any at all) people they will take from the WL.



I have a couple of other acceptances, so if I don't get off of the waitlist, it's not the end of the world for me.

Plus, I haven't actually heard anything directly from Georgia yet anyways. I saw that I was waitlisted via status checker. I was going to give them a week or two to officially contact me ... let them send me an email or letter or something and then I would follow up with a LOCI.

It sure seems like they're putting a lot of people on that WL.

User avatar
jarv1506
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jarv1506 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:52 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:So I just got matched with a student host for WIPI housing. I am 23 year old female and they are having me stay with a guy who lives alone with his 2 dogs. I'm sure he is a perfectly nice guy but does that seem a little odd to anyone else? In the email the Admin clearly refers to me as "she" so it's not like they somehow confused my gender...


I wouldn't worry about it too much. They send out an e-mail to anyone involved with the WIPI conference to see if we want to host an admitted student. I don't think they've gotten many responses, so you probably just got matched with a guy because its all they had to offer. If you're coming for the auction you could try getting here in time to mix with some 1L's early in the day and I'm sure you could find a female to stay with if you're uncomfortable with the situation. They might also get a few more responses from 1L's next week (our brief is due on monday). If you're super uncomfortable with it, PM me and I'll see if I can find a girl in my section who's willing to put you up.

User avatar
LittleBlueBird
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LittleBlueBird » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:10 am

JustE wrote:
LittleBlueBird wrote:
JustE wrote:Nope. Hadn't gotten around to it yet. Just sounds like they're going to their WL earlier than I would have expected them to... Maybe they're just being really careful with their yield?


Sounds logical. Their USNR did drop again this year. They probably want to get back into the T30. There are only so many ways to skin a cat.

User avatar
LittleBlueBird
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LittleBlueBird » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 am

Lvaughn714 wrote:So I just got matched with a student host for WIPI housing. I am 23 year old female and they are having me stay with a guy who lives alone with his 2 dogs. I'm sure he is a perfectly nice guy but does that seem a little odd to anyone else? In the email the Admin clearly refers to me as "she" so it's not like they somehow confused my gender...


I am maybe a little surprised that it's a guy, not so surprised about the dogs, though. Everyone up there has at least one dog (rescues, to boot). It's something I love about the area, having dogs myself.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Sandro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:49 am

Lvaughn714 wrote:So I just got matched with a student host for WIPI housing. I am 23 year old female


I knew I should have replied to that WIPI housing email..... :idea:

User avatar
BKCentral
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BKCentral » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:41 am

georgia32 wrote:
BKCentral wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
georgia32 wrote:Wait listed today via status checker. What is you guys thoughts on sending a LOCI (how soon)? UGA is my first choice.


I'm going to wait at least two weeks...


What is the point in waiting? If you're waiting to maybe get off the WL, you certainly aren't going to be accepted in the next 2 weeks randomly. They would have just accepted you in the first place. Go ahead and write one as soon as you have the chance. It will show that you are not happy with your WL placement and will only show your eagerness to get off it (and therefore your zeal to go to UGA). Anything to get you a leg up on the countless other prospectives on the WL is key. You never know how few (or any at all) people they will take from the WL.


Just finished writing a draft, I was thinking about possibly hand writing it? Is that overkill do you think? haha


Eh, I wouldn't hand write it. It might seem more personal but I feel like in our day and age typed is associated with business/formality so I would just print it off and mail it (but don't let me change your opinion if you'd like to write it by hand, it's just my two cents!)

User avatar
georgia32
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby georgia32 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:58 pm

I ended up just e-mailing it, hopefully it will do the job.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby john1990 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:15 am

georgia32 wrote:I ended up just e-mailing it, hopefully it will do the job.


I think its better to mail those in so they have a hard copy

User avatar
georgia32
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby georgia32 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:21 am

I e-mailed the office on how they would like to receive LOCIs, and they said e-mail or regular mail was fine. I figured e-mail was faster, so that is what I went with.

User avatar
Ga0-3L
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ga0-3L » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:53 am

georgia32 wrote:I e-mailed the office on how they would like to receive LOCIs, and they said e-mail or regular mail was fine. I figured e-mail was faster, so that is what I went with.


I'm sure you're good. Some offices are paperless now and prefer email anyway. I hope you get Georgia; I know you really want it.

mrjohnsterman
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mrjohnsterman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Anyone hear about scholarships recently?

I was told the scholarship committee would be meeting in February and as I am far away I would expect others to receive their offers before I would.

Thanks

iosborn12
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby iosborn12 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:45 pm

mrjohnsterman wrote:I was told the scholarship committee would be meeting in February and as I am far away I would expect others to receive their offers before I would


If you look a few pages back there were a few kids who got a small bump and one kid who got instate equalizer who had nothing before. I think that was a few weeks ago. I'm not really holding my breath anymore but am hoping to negotiate for at least one semester of equalization after I visit this weekend.

User avatar
RareAir
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 1:37 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby RareAir » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:53 pm

I got an equalization scholly (up from nothing) along with the others, but I had just been admitted that week. I got my scholly letter about 3 or 4 days after my acceptance letter.

I'm visiting the weekend of the 24th and 25th of march. Really looking forward to seeing the campus and the Law school. Hopefully some more scholarship money opens up in the near future though. With bama offering 25k/year it will be tough to justify the ~$25,000 price difference to go to UGA. Keeping my fingers crossed.

iosborn12
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby iosborn12 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:42 pm

RareAir wrote:With bama offering 25k/year it will be tough to justify the ~$25,000 price difference to go to UGA. Keeping my fingers crossed.


At this point I'm really considering UGA at sticker over Bama with the same-ish scholarship. Really got the feeling Bama tries/needs to place their out of state students in states other than Alabama. Smells like a recipe for disaster to me, but I could be wrong and just brainwashed by all of the talk on TLS.

For me I'd rather work with my alumni than go to school in Alabama and try to work in Atlanta/Nashville/whatever else their career services is pimping at the time (one kid I taklked to that was a 1L at Bama was shooting for Denver). Really liked the school/people, but the idea of trying to get a job in Huntsville/Mobile/Montgomery is pretty terrifying. At least in Georgia I can talk to people about how it's a travesty that the UGA-Clemson rivalry has effectively ended aside from baseball, or how many RB's they have taken from us over the years (except Crowell was a gift from us).

User avatar
jarv1506
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jarv1506 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:30 am

iosborn12 wrote:
RareAir wrote:With bama offering 25k/year it will be tough to justify the ~$25,000 price difference to go to UGA. Keeping my fingers crossed.


At this point I'm really considering UGA at sticker over Bama with the same-ish scholarship. Really got the feeling Bama tries/needs to place their out of state students in states other than Alabama. Smells like a recipe for disaster to me, but I could be wrong and just brainwashed by all of the talk on TLS.

For me I'd rather work with my alumni than go to school in Alabama and try to work in Atlanta/Nashville/whatever else their career services is pimping at the time (one kid I taklked to that was a 1L at Bama was shooting for Denver). Really liked the school/people, but the idea of trying to get a job in Huntsville/Mobile/Montgomery is pretty terrifying. At least in Georgia I can talk to people about how it's a travesty that the UGA-Clemson rivalry has effectively ended aside from baseball, or how many RB's they have taken from us over the years (except Crowell was a gift from us).


We start home and home series with Clemson in 2013. It should be pretty sweet since its such a short drive.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”