Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
kroakstool
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kroakstool » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:00 pm

For anyone interested. Got a no additonal funds email today in my negotiation attempt.

gabewatch
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:15 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby gabewatch » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:06 pm

kroakstool wrote:For anyone interested. Got a no additonal funds email today in my negotiation attempt.

numbers? were you offered anything initially?

User avatar
kroakstool
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kroakstool » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 pm

gabewatch wrote:
kroakstool wrote:For anyone interested. Got a no additonal funds email today in my negotiation attempt.

numbers? were you offered anything initially?


I'm 167 3.83 with military experience. Got $5k a year initally. Was hoping to hear something better. They said that they might have more funds come available later. Pretty standard stuff.

iosborn12
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby iosborn12 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:17 pm

kroakstool wrote:For anyone interested. Got a no additonal funds email today in my negotiation attempt.


Blah, that stinks. I have been waiting until I go down there next week to send off a negotiation email. UGA was by far my number 1 choice going into the cycle, but ITE it seems kind of silly to pay sticker vs. a 70k scholly at Alabama.

User avatar
jarv1506
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jarv1506 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 pm

kroakstool wrote:
gabewatch wrote:
kroakstool wrote:For anyone interested. Got a no additonal funds email today in my negotiation attempt.

numbers? were you offered anything initially?


I'm 167 3.83 with military experience. Got $5k a year initally. Was hoping to hear something better. They said that they might have more funds come available later. Pretty standard stuff.


Dude, did you get an in-state equalization as well? If not or even if you did, I would wait it out. Last year a lot of us got $ late in the cycle. I got offered an additional amount (PM if you want numbers) after ASD. They offer cash to a lot of prospective students at the beginning of the cycle, and as they decide to go elsewhere they turn more of that money towards students who are accepted and look like they are going to attend. If it's late April and they still haven't offered anything more then you might not be getting anything else. So just hang in there.

gabewatch
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:15 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby gabewatch » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Yeah its hard to know when to ask. Different schools seem to do different things. I got tuition equalization and asked for an increase yesterday, no response yet. I heard other people were getting unprompted increases so i figured it might not be a bad time to ask...but who really knows. I figure it cant hurt to ask, if I have to bring it up again later in the cycle I dont have a problem with that and I dont think it would be perceived negatively.

User avatar
kroakstool
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kroakstool » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:34 pm

jarv1506 wrote:
kroakstool wrote:
gabewatch wrote:
kroakstool wrote:For anyone interested. Got a no additonal funds email today in my negotiation attempt.

numbers? were you offered anything initially?


I'm 167 3.83 with military experience. Got $5k a year initally. Was hoping to hear something better. They said that they might have more funds come available later. Pretty standard stuff.


Dude, did you get an in-state equalization as well? If not or even if you did, I would wait it out. Last year a lot of us got $ late in the cycle. I got offered an additional amount (PM if you want numbers) after ASD. They offer cash to a lot of prospective students at the beginning of the cycle, and as they decide to go elsewhere they turn more of that money towards students who are accepted and look like they are going to attend. If it's late April and they still haven't offered anything more then you might not be getting anything else. So just hang in there.


I'm a Georgia resident. $5k is still a good deal of the tuition and fees, but I would still have to take out a substantial loan

User avatar
jarv1506
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jarv1506 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:39 pm

gabewatch wrote:Yeah its hard to know when to ask. Different schools seem to do different things. I got tuition equalization and asked for an increase yesterday, no response yet. I heard other people were getting unprompted increases so i figured it might not be a bad time to ask...but who really knows. I figure it cant hurt to ask, if I have to bring it up again later in the cycle I dont have a problem with that and I dont think it would be perceived negatively.


I don't think it will hurt to ask at all. They give out a lot of scholarships to 0L's I just think they wait until later in the cycle when they want to give an extra incentive to come. My scholly stipulation is to keep a 2.8 or higher (the classes curve to about a 3.0 so as long as you're median you're good) which so far is no problem, couple that with in-state tuition for all 3 years, and how inexpensive it is to live here, and this school is crazy cheap.

User avatar
jarv1506
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jarv1506 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm 167 3.83 with military experience. Got $5k a year initally. Was hoping to hear something better. They said that they might have more funds come available later. Pretty standard stuff.


Dude, did you get an in-state equalization as well? If not or even if you did, I would wait it out. Last year a lot of us got $ late in the cycle. I got offered an additional amount (PM if you want numbers) after ASD. They offer cash to a lot of prospective students at the beginning of the cycle, and as they decide to go elsewhere they turn more of that money towards students who are accepted and look like they are going to attend. If it's late April and they still haven't offered anything more then you might not be getting anything else. So just hang in there.


I'm a Georgia resident. $5k is still a good deal of the tuition and fees, but I would still have to take out a substantial loan


Do you have any GI Bill left? I'm a veteran myself and the GI Bill covers everything with in-state tuition. Even if you don't, with your numbers I'd say wait until a little later in the cycle (its still pretty early) and then see what they say.

User avatar
kroakstool
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kroakstool » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:56 pm

jarv1506 wrote:
I'm 167 3.83 with military experience. Got $5k a year initally. Was hoping to hear something better. They said that they might have more funds come available later. Pretty standard stuff.


Dude, did you get an in-state equalization as well? If not or even if you did, I would wait it out. Last year a lot of us got $ late in the cycle. I got offered an additional amount (PM if you want numbers) after ASD. They offer cash to a lot of prospective students at the beginning of the cycle, and as they decide to go elsewhere they turn more of that money towards students who are accepted and look like they are going to attend. If it's late April and they still haven't offered anything more then you might not be getting anything else. So just hang in there.


I'm a Georgia resident. $5k is still a good deal of the tuition and fees, but I would still have to take out a substantial loan


Do you have any GI Bill left? I'm a veteran myself and the GI Bill covers everything with in-state tuition. Even if you don't, with your numbers I'd say wait until a little later in the cycle (its still pretty early) and then see what they say.


I used all of my GI-Bill for undergrad. My scholarship stipulates making my deposit by April 1. I don't have much time to negotiate.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:41 pm

Denied. Blahhhh :/

User avatar
USMCMatt
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby USMCMatt » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:21 pm

WL.....

Oh the shame...

User avatar
georgia32
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby georgia32 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:03 pm

USMCMatt wrote:WL.....

Oh the shame...


I like how their letter said "only a select few" when it seems there are many of us here on the WL. Are you going to ride it out?

User avatar
USMCMatt
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby USMCMatt » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:19 pm

georgia32 wrote:
USMCMatt wrote:WL.....

Oh the shame...


I like how their letter said "only a select few" when it seems there are many of us here on the WL. Are you going to ride it out?



I have yet to see the letter...I just saw it on my status checker.

I don't know if I will wait it out or not. I got a bit of a late start to this cycle (Im active duty Marine Corps) and have only heard back from 4/24 schools. Three yes and one WL. I still have some time to decide before my contract is up and I need to commit. If I get a few more good offers and need to put down $100 here or there to secure my spot on the first round of deposits long enough to get all the responses back, then so be it. Tough call. It's really a science, this whole admission process. lol

dvjn69
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dvjn69 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 am

USMCMatt wrote:WL.....

Oh the shame...



Same boat... Active Duty Army...

What makes the waitlist suck so much is I need to know where to have all of my personal propery shipped to when I get out. Hopefully the wait won't be too long for us.

User avatar
Ga0-3L
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ga0-3L » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:46 pm

georgia32 wrote:Wait listed today via status checker. What is you guys thoughts on sending a LOCI (how soon)? UGA is my first choice.


I'm going to wait at least two weeks...

User avatar
Ga0-3L
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ga0-3L » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:48 pm

georgia32 wrote:
USMCMatt wrote:WL.....

Oh the shame...


I like how their letter said "only a select few" when it seems there are many of us here on the WL. Are you going to ride it out?


But TLS is only some of the applicants and even though a lot of the top/top choices are here on TLS - a lot of the lower choices are not. I feel like TLS is an unrepresentative sample...

bluebubble05
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bluebubble05 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Waitlisted. Honestly, I'm happy about it because I was expecting a flat out rejected, UGA is my super reach school. I'm really hoping people who were accepted will withdraw asap (PLEASE).

I'll have to draft an LOCI, maybe plan a school visit (I'm from California).

Any suggestions that has worked for anyone???

Thanks! :)

User avatar
georgia32
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby georgia32 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
georgia32 wrote:
USMCMatt wrote:WL.....

Oh the shame...


I like how their letter said "only a select few" when it seems there are many of us here on the WL. Are you going to ride it out?


But TLS is only some of the applicants and even though a lot of the top/top choices are here on TLS - a lot of the lower choices are not. I feel like TLS is an unrepresentative sample...


Haha, I dig the classic LSAT response.

User avatar
hadisious
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hadisious » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:02 pm

georgia32 wrote:
USMCMatt wrote:WL.....

Oh the shame...


I like how their letter said "only a select few" when it seems there are many of us here on the WL. Are you going to ride it out?

The "select few" was all of TLS :-P

User avatar
LittleBlueBird
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LittleBlueBird » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:10 pm

WL.

Not surprised.

How about we ambush them - a mass human LOCI? :D

User avatar
georgia32
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby georgia32 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm about to start writing mine, does anyone know UGA's policy on LOCIs? Do they like e-mail or snail?

User avatar
LittleBlueBird
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LittleBlueBird » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:34 pm

georgia32 wrote:I'm about to start writing mine, does anyone know UGA's policy on LOCIs? Do they like e-mail or snail?


Or fruit baskets?

User avatar
Ga0-3L
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ga0-3L » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:53 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:
georgia32 wrote:I'm about to start writing mine, does anyone know UGA's policy on LOCIs? Do they like e-mail or snail?


Or fruit baskets?


Cheese and sausage basket is way mo' classier.

painttherosesred
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby painttherosesred » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
georgia32 wrote:Wait listed today via status checker. What is you guys thoughts on sending a LOCI (how soon)? UGA is my first choice.


I'm going to wait at least two weeks...


+1




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”