Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
georgia32

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby georgia32 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:16 pm

That's also weird because UGA loves them some URMs. They really like to advertise how diverse they are.

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Yeah... really random....

pballer

Postby pballer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:07 pm

JustE wrote:Yeah... really random....

Based on your other results, this looks like classic yield protect.

Edit: If you have a legitimate interest in going to UGA still, I'd send a LOCI. A waitlist that's really the result of a yield protect is probably intended to gauge whether you actually want to go here relative to some of the others schools that you have access to.

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:15 pm

pballer wrote:
JustE wrote:Yeah... really random....

Based on your other results, this looks like classic yield protect.

Edit: If you have a legitimate interest in going to UGA still, I'd send a LOCI. A waitlist that's really the result of a yield protect is probably intended to gauge whether you actually want to go here relative to some of the others schools that you have access to.

Hmmm... Might fire one off. Thing is, I need to decide pretty soon. If I'm a Michigan Summer Starter, I'll need to iron out a lease and make final plans in the next month and a half... Just don't think it was meant to be...

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:55 pm

So I realize that scholarship info tends to come in waves, what are the odds of getting another set within the next week or so? I have a summer acceptance with a Feb 29 deadline from another school and the more information I can get before then the easier it will be to decide whether to put in a deposit to hold my spot. I was accepted last week.

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:So I realize that scholarship info tends to come in waves, what are the odds of getting another set within the next week or so? I have a summer acceptance with a Feb 29 deadline from another school and the more information I can get before then the easier it will be to decide whether to put in a deposit to hold my spot. I was accepted last week.

This is just mho, but I'd wait until early next week and then e-mail or call them informing of your deadline and curiosity regarding if more scholarships are coming out. If you were accepted, then they clearly want you, so they *should* be more than happy to give you that information to make your decision easier.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:03 pm

No one on this site knows the odds of when scholarship information is coming out. If you want to know, contact the school.

Lvaughn714 wrote:So I realize that scholarship info tends to come in waves, what are the odds of getting another set within the next week or so? I have a summer acceptance with a Feb 29 deadline from another school and the more information I can get before then the easier it will be to decide whether to put in a deposit to hold my spot. I was accepted last week.

lebronbron

Postby lebronbron » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Last edited by lebronbron on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

in2win

Postby in2win » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:06 am

eandy wrote:
prettyhorsederpychan wrote:to those who are attending UGA Law, can you comment on the school?? What do you like about it, what do you not like about it? I know there are previous UGA threads out there, but I would love to get it in a fresh perspectives, thanks!

--I LOVE the students here. We do NOT have a gunning/competitive culture. Pretty much anyone will help anyone else. The school tries very hard, I think, to make all of the 1Ls bond. My class is very close. UGA law is a bit of a younger law school, I think, in terms of the age of students, but there are still some married/older people, too. However, if you don't like going out at all, you might be unhappy here. There is not much to do in Athens beyond going out downtown. There's a huge local music scene which is cool.
--I like the year long schedule. It is controversial because there are definitely pros and cons. The biggest con is that you only have one real grade (criminal law) going into the 1L job search. So, if you don't do so hot in criminal law, it can make it difficult for you to find a paying job. That being said, all 1Ls find jobs. The huge pros are that (1) you really get to know your professors and (2) second semester is weighted a LOT more so that everyone has time to adjust to law school/learn from first semester mistakes.
--I have had some amazing professors that really cared about students. Many of your 1L professors will get a keg (usually from the local Terrapin brewery, yum) and invite you over to their house in the spring to hang out.
--The renovations have really made the law school a lot nicer. It's really easy to go in early in the day and then stay all day long if you want. Plenty of fridge space, microwave access, there is a coffee shop inside the school, everyone has their own locker, and lots of space outside the library to eat/hangout.
--There are a LOT of really good clinics and they are open to you as soon as you start 2L, so you can start racking up lots of practical experience early.

Dislike:
--The only really bad thing I have to say is going to sound worse than I mean it to, I am going to guess. Career services makes it pretty clear that they don't have time for 1Ls and 2Ls. 2Ls they will bend over backwards for top 30% but everyone else will kind of be made to feel like a 1L. That being said, if you keep after it, you'll get the attention that you want/need. They make themselves available, they just won't go out of their way unless you make them. They do, though, work hard enough for the 3Ls to make up for this. At a lot of law schools this would sound horrible, but at UGA most people want to do government/public interest/small firm work which does hiring 3L year. As in you talk to them at orientation and that is what they want to do. It is uncool to want to do big law (though I am sure everyone secretly wants to just a little bit). I think in this way, they really do get to everyone. Top 30% of 2L class=coddled (but those are the ones who need help then) and everyone else gets attention 3L year (when they need it). It works, it can just feel frustrating. Many professors though are super willing to help you beyond what career services can/will do, though. It all evens out, it is just frustrating at times.

If anyone wants any more info, just let me know. You guys, I am going to guess, aren't going to find many law students hanging around the law school on ASD because ASD is the same day as Barrister's Ball (law school prom/shitshow). So unless you come and talk to students on Friday, you're only going to hear from people handpicked by the school to be positive derplords for the day at ASD.

Do people really not admit to wanting to do biglaw?? Not that I will be gunning for it either.

Also, the way you describe it, it sounds like UGA law is a little like undergrad all over again. TBH, I feel like I had a pretty crazy 4 years in undergrad (went to a major party/frat/sorority school famous for its greek system) already and would really prefer to limit my going out and binge drinking at the bars in the future (although not completely ). am I going to be the odd man out if I decide to live like that?? i defintely can see myself going out to unwind after taking exams though, but i just cant see myself going out and drinking heavy as a passtime like it was in undergrad.

that is kind of being too picky and really UGA seem like a great option for me, but im just curious as to what the typical UGA law students social life is like

in2win

Postby in2win » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:08 am

sinisterkid wrote:Waitlisted today.

Anyone have luck with a LOCI this cycle?

Worked for me ( I wasnt waitlisted though).

I had some issues beyond numbers that I felt needed to be addressed, so I sent a LOCI, and 2 days later got an acceptance email. Definitely let them know your still interested.

eandy

Postby eandy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15 am

in2win wrote:

Do people really not admit to wanting to do biglaw?? Not that I will be gunning for it either.

Also, the way you describe it, it sounds like UGA law is a little like undergrad all over again. TBH, I feel like I had a pretty crazy 4 years in undergrad (went to a major party/frat/sorority school famous for its greek system) already and would really prefer to limit my going out and binge drinking at the bars in the future (although not completely ). am I going to be the odd man out if I decide to live like that?? i defintely can see myself going out to unwind after taking exams though, but i just cant see myself going out and drinking heavy as a passtime like it was in undergrad.
that is kind of being too picky and really UGA seem like a great option for me, but im just curious as to what the typical UGA law students social life is like

You'll be fine. There are only three events you really need to go to. Party after your memo, party after brief, party after finals.
There are plenty of people who don't go out a lot.

in2win

Postby in2win » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:24 am

eandy wrote:
in2win wrote:

You'll be fine. There are only three events you really need to go to. Party after your memo, party after brief, party after finals.

Can you talk about what types of job opportunities are out there for students in top 10%, 25% median, and so on....

would you say the median student at UGA is in a decent position career wise in the long run???

Edit: Could you provide any information on the legal market in Georgia in general, is it at all overcrowded with competition from Emory UGA and GSU. could you compare it to other legal markets such as Chicago ( My hometown)

Also, Im sure there are threads about this already, but can you talk about Emory vs. UGA. why would anyone pay the extra money for Emory when the two are closely ranked?

skolks

Postby skolks » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:48 am

in2win wrote:
eandy wrote:
in2win wrote:

Historically they haven't been ranked as closely as they are now. Also, Emory leaves you open to many job markets, whereas if you go to UGA, you're essentially stuck in GA (from what I've heard). Out of last year's graduation class according to the numbers given by uga, 181 took the georgia bar... I believe their class is around 220-225

Can you talk about what types of job opportunities are out there for students in top 10%, 25% median, and so on....

would you say the median student at UGA is in a decent position career wise in the long run???

Edit: Could you provide any information on the legal market in Georgia in general, is it at all overcrowded with competition from Emory UGA and GSU. could you compare it to other legal markets such as Chicago ( My hometown)

Also, Im sure there are threads about this already, but can you talk about Emory vs. UGA. why would anyone pay the extra money for Emory when the two are closely ranked?

alwayslovely

Postby alwayslovely » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:04 am

@lebronbron
Did you check your status checker? I was admitted via status checker on a Friday, but didn't receieve a congrats email until the following Monday.

Edit: quote fail on my mobile device :(

lebronbron

Postby lebronbron » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:05 am

alwayslovely wrote:@lebronbron
Did you check your status checker? I was admitted via status checker on a Friday, but didn't receieve a congrats email until the following Monday.

Edit: quote fail on my mobile device :(
Last edited by lebronbron on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:11 am

I received no congrats email, just admitted student page info.

Though my tracker changed before I got the email.

lebronbron

Postby lebronbron » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:16 am

mrjohnsterman wrote:I received no congrats email, just admitted student page info.

Though my tracker changed before I got the email.

Of course I would be the one who doesn't have a status change. Thank you for your response. I'll just play the waiting game I suppose.

ccmbr006

Postby ccmbr006 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:43 pm

in2win wrote:
eandy wrote:
in2win wrote:

I'm going to jump around a bit here...

I think that Georgia is hard partying by law school standards, but the law students are pretty tame compared to the undergrads.

Very few people FROM Georgia do go to Emory, for plenty of reasons, but not the least of which is the cost vs. ranking difference. For some perspective on my next statement: I've got a couple of Georgia lawyers in the family from different schools, and I currently work with one of the Superior Court circuits. So take the following anecdote how you will: I've never met a lawyer who went to Georgia, State, or Mercer who spoke highly of Emory graduates in general. Sure, there have been some individuals that a lawyer or judge may speak well of, but the school in general does not enjoy the best reputation- among others, I most frequently hear it described as a 'yankee' school, and I've even heard several Georgia and Mercer graduates say that they'd never hire an Emory grad. It's an anecdote, so take it how you will, but in meeting people who work in other circuits, people from Georgia tend to have a pretty consistent opinion. And, for one numerical example: , King and Spalding has twice as many Georgia grads who are partners as Emory.

That said, I'm sure that the top third or top quarter of Emory graduates do just fine job wise, and there are other firms in Atlanta that may hire more of them. Their median salary data seems to support that they turn out alright. I think that their numbers may run a little higher than UGA because some of the Emory students from the north return home, and the cost of living there compared to Georgia pushes the wage up a bit. My understanding is that Georgia does better than Emory if you don't fare as well in your class, for various reasons, but I'm sure that the less cosmopolitan firms who do more hiring of lower achieving graduates look dimly upon graduates from the "yankee" school.

I know less about State, because it's a young school, so there are fewer of their graduates around than Mercer, Emory, and Georgia grads, but they seem to do better than Mercer and a little worse than Georgia- as you would expect. King and Spalding and Alston and Bird both have State grads in their employ, so obviously you CAN land big money, but I don't think that the alumni network is there to make it happen regularly.

I'm not sure how much you would care about the opinion of native Georgians if you're from Chicago, but I've tried to lay it out as honestly as I can, as a large part of the hiring in Georgia will be done by native Georgians. I know that Emory likes to tout the portability of their degree, but one of the cardinal rules of law practice is to go to school near where you want to practice- if you don't want to practice in Georgia, why go to either? Inside Georgia, I just really don't think that Emory competes favorably with UGA outside of entry-level big law positions.

Apologies for the wall of text.

tjos

Postby tjos » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:36 pm

Waitlisted. Damn. I don't have a LOCI written, but I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Waitlisted today via snail mail.
Last edited by Ga0-3L on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gabewatch

Postby gabewatch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Does anyone have any idea if UGA is open to negotiating scholarships at all? They offered me in state tuition, and I think UGA would be a good fit for me. If I could get a small additional scholarship that would seal the deal. I have acceptances at Emory, UMN, and WUSTL with $$. Im going to send them an email monday, but I was just curious if anyone knows anything about their history with negotiating.

georgia32

Postby georgia32 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Wait listed today via status checker. What is you guys thoughts on sending a LOCI (how soon)? UGA is my first choice.

bluebubble05

Postby bluebubble05 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:46 pm

georgia32 wrote:Wait listed today via status checker. What is you guys thoughts on sending a LOCI (how soon)? UGA is my first choice.

I don't know about LOCI.

When did you apply?

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Sorry, I just saw this. They told me last week that scholarship committee would be meeting again in February. They send out awards by snail mail.

georgia32

Postby georgia32 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:01 pm

bluebubble05 wrote:
georgia32 wrote:Wait listed today via status checker. What is you guys thoughts on sending a LOCI (how soon)? UGA is my first choice.

I don't know about LOCI.

When did you apply?

I applied 1/09 or 10

EDIT: it was 1/06

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”