Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vbc515

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vbc515 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:31 pm

vbc515 wrote:In via email today! I think I submitted right before Thanksgiving and went complete the first week of December. For those of you who have already received the acceptance package in the mail... is that where the scholly info is? I live in GA but I'm back home in NY for the holidays so I won't get my hands on the package for a while.

Oh and my numbers are 3.6/166 non-URM. I live in GA but not for long enough where I would have residency, or at least I don't think so.

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:55 pm

vbc515 wrote:In via email today! I think I submitted right before Thanksgiving and went complete the first week of December. For those of you who have already received the acceptance package in the mail... is that where the scholly info is? I live in GA but I'm back home in NY for the holidays so I won't get my hands on the package for a while.

Usually not. Scholly info could come in a days, a few weeks, or a few months. It all depends.

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:55 pm

In via email today. It's my first acceptance so I'm pretty excited! More info on my LSN.

Also, for those of you fretting over some typo on your app, I had one important enough for them to contact me for correction, and it didn't seem to matter.

VanillaBear

Postby VanillaBear » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:09 pm

gavinstevens wrote:In via email today. It's my first acceptance so I'm pretty excited! More info on my LSN.

Also, for those of you fretting over some typo on your app, I had one important enough for them to contact me for correction, and it didn't seem to matter.

Congrats on the acceptance!!!

skolks

Postby skolks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:10 pm

In today via email! I'm in state but some money would still be nice!

epistemizer

Postby epistemizer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Congratulations skolks, gavin, vbc on the acceptances! Who all is thinking seriously about Georgia as their actual destination?

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:24 pm

epistemizer wrote:Congratulations skolks, gavin, vbc on the acceptances! Who all is thinking seriously about Georgia as their actual destination?

Thanks!

Hopefully some other options open up (with $), but if not, I want to practice in GA so UGA is a great option! I'm an undergrad here and have really enjoyed Athens so far.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:53 pm

vbc515 wrote:

Oh and my numbers are 3.6/166 non-URM. I live in GA but not for long enough where I would have residency, or at least I don't think so.

Did you check? It is really easy to get GA residency. So long as you live in GA for at least one year prior to the first day of law school, you should be fine.

http://www.law.uga.edu/georgia-residency

prettyhorsederpychan

Postby prettyhorsederpychan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:34 am

I have almost the exact same number as you, 3.5/166 and I got my scholly letter along with my admission letter. But I'm also bona fide instater so maybe that might make a little bit of difference.

epistemizer wrote:Congratulations skolks, gavin, vbc on the acceptances! Who all is thinking seriously about Georgia as their actual destination?

Here :D! I've only really applied to three schools, and they're all in Georgia. (except for a hailmary to vandy, but I don't expect to get in) So UGA is definitely my number one school on the list. I will have to see how emory turns out this year though. I'm little worried of what I've heard about their administration organization, so right now the scale is tipping towards UGA.

srrrrh

Postby srrrrh » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 am

i'd love to work in atlanta so i'm considering it, but i don't think i'd be happy in any other areas of georgia long-term so probably not. i'm visiting soon though so we'll see!

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:27 am

Congrats on your scholarship. I got in, but no scholarship information yet :( .

prettyhorsederpychan wrote:

I have almost the exact same number as you, 3.5/166 and I got my scholly letter along with my admission letter. But I'm also bona fide instater so maybe that might make a little bit of difference.

Here :D! I've only really applied to three schools, and they're all in Georgia. (except for a hailmary to vandy, but I don't expect to get in) So UGA is definitely my number one school on the list. I will have to see how emory turns out this year though. I'm little worried of what I've heard about their administration organization, so right now the scale is tipping towards UGA.

powerscore

Postby powerscore » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:26 pm

For those that are seriously considering going, have you thought about where you will live and with who? I thought it might be a good idea to start a tls thread or a Facebook group. I am almost 99 percent certain I will be going to UGA. I am a UGA undergrad and I think I will be looking to live in the exchange. Let me know what you guys think.

skolks

Postby skolks » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:06 am

I have pretty much those stats. Mind if I ask you how much scholarship? I haven't received mine in the mail yet!

prettyhorsederpychan

Postby prettyhorsederpychan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:53 am

skolks wrote:

I have pretty much those stats. Mind if I ask you how much scholarship? I haven't received mine in the mail yet!

I got 3k an academic year, it's not a lot compared to some of the other scholly offerings but considering my lsat/gpa and the cheapness of the instate tuition, I thought it was awesome haha

cutecarmel wrote:Congrats on your scholarship. I got in, but no scholarship information yet :( .

I wouldn't worry too much. Last year's cycle shows that UGA upped/sent out scholarships near the end of the cycle (so like.. marchish?), so maybe you'll get one then!

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:27 am

Just thought I'd check in. My app is non-traditional to say the least. I've been stuck in the "under review" status for quite a while. I didn't think I'd be a quick turn, but kind of discouraging to hear about all the positive quick turns. Congrats and good luck to you all.

vbc515

Postby vbc515 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:02 pm

Found scholarship info in the mail after getting home from being away for the holidays, I also got in-state tuition and an additional 3k every academic year. I'm not sure what the chances are that I'll actually end up at UGA, seeing as I'm living in Atlanta at the moment and it would really be easiest/cheapest for me to stay where I am... still waiting on Emory with fingers crossed...

Does anyone know how UGA is with negotiating scholarship money? I know it's obviously a great bargain even at full price in-state, but I was really hoping to get more money from them if I ended up going.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

jabberwock12

Postby jabberwock12 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:12 am

Hey guys random question here. Does anyone know if law students can purchase meal plans? I'm asking because I will most likely not have a car my first year at UGA and since I wont know anyone there it will difficult for me to get rides to the grocery stores so, I figure it would be easier to just catch the campus bus to the dining halls.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:18 am

jabberwock12 wrote:Hey guys random question here. Does anyone know if law students can purchase meal plans? I'm asking because I will most likely not have a car my first year at UGA and since I wont know anyone there it will difficult for me to get rides to the grocery stores so, I figure it would be easier to just catch the campus bus to the dining halls.

You can. If you live somewhere with a lot of other 1Ls (909 broad was like a law dorm practically my 1L year) you can get rides pretty easily, though. You might want to consider getting a crappy car, though. If you are OOS and get the equalization scholarship, they just add that money on top of what you are eligible for in federal moneys, so that will pad your budget a bit if you'd like to get a car.

vguerra

Postby vguerra » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:31 am

anyone know when WL/rejections come out?? UR since the first week of November and still nothing. everyone getting such quick turnarounds has made me super nervous, still keeping fingers crossed!!!

georgia32

Postby georgia32 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:43 pm

I applied this week after getting Dec scores in. I randomly had a free waiver, did this happen to any of you guys?

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:06 am

Notified via snail mail that I was awarded a merit scholarship for $7500/yr.

iosborn12

Postby iosborn12 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:14 pm

gavinstevens wrote:Notified via snail mail that I was awarded a merit scholarship for $7500/yr.

Was this after you already got the acceptance letter?

Has anyone heard anything about scholarships after their acceptance letter?

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:19 pm

iosborn12 wrote:
gavinstevens wrote:Notified via snail mail that I was awarded a merit scholarship for $7500/yr.

It came with the acceptance letter, though I already knew of my acceptance via email two weeks earlier (which didn't mention the scholarship).

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:25 pm

What are your numbers?

I'm wondering whether those of us who didn't get scholarships in our acceptance letter just are not going to get them, or if the recently accepted applicants are getting scholarships with their's because Georgia is just now starting to send out scholarship info.

gavinstevens wrote:
iosborn12 wrote:

It came with the acceptance letter, though I already knew of my acceptance via email two weeks earlier (which didn't mention the scholarship).

skolks

Postby skolks » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:35 pm

I got nothing with 3.45/166... though I'm in state as well so I guess they figure it's cheap enough

cutecarmel wrote:What are your numbers?

I'm wondering whether those of us who didn't get scholarships in our acceptance letter just are not going to get them, or if the recently accepted applicants are getting scholarships with their's because Georgia is just now starting to send out scholarship info.

gavinstevens wrote:
iosborn12 wrote:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”