Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
prettyhorsederpychan

New

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by prettyhorsederpychan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:13 am

to those who are attending UGA Law, can you comment on the school?? What do you like about it, what do you not like about it? I know there are previous UGA threads out there, but I would love to get it in a fresh perspectives, thanks!

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:31 pm

prettyhorsederpychan wrote:to those who are attending UGA Law, can you comment on the school?? What do you like about it, what do you not like about it? I know there are previous UGA threads out there, but I would love to get it in a fresh perspectives, thanks!
--I LOVE the students here. We do NOT have a gunning/competitive culture. Pretty much anyone will help anyone else. The school tries very hard, I think, to make all of the 1Ls bond. My class is very close. UGA law is a bit of a younger law school, I think, in terms of the age of students, but there are still some married/older people, too. However, if you don't like going out at all, you might be unhappy here. There is not much to do in Athens beyond going out downtown. There's a huge local music scene which is cool.
--I like the year long schedule. It is controversial because there are definitely pros and cons. The biggest con is that you only have one real grade (criminal law) going into the 1L job search. So, if you don't do so hot in criminal law, it can make it difficult for you to find a paying job. That being said, all 1Ls find jobs. The huge pros are that (1) you really get to know your professors and (2) second semester is weighted a LOT more so that everyone has time to adjust to law school/learn from first semester mistakes.
--I have had some amazing professors that really cared about students. Many of your 1L professors will get a keg (usually from the local Terrapin brewery, yum) and invite you over to their house in the spring to hang out.
--The renovations have really made the law school a lot nicer. It's really easy to go in early in the day and then stay all day long if you want. Plenty of fridge space, microwave access, there is a coffee shop inside the school, everyone has their own locker, and lots of space outside the library to eat/hangout.
--There are a LOT of really good clinics and they are open to you as soon as you start 2L, so you can start racking up lots of practical experience early.

Dislike:
--The only really bad thing I have to say is going to sound worse than I mean it to, I am going to guess. Career services makes it pretty clear that they don't have time for 1Ls and 2Ls. 2Ls they will bend over backwards for top 30% but everyone else will kind of be made to feel like a 1L. That being said, if you keep after it, you'll get the attention that you want/need. They make themselves available, they just won't go out of their way unless you make them. They do, though, work hard enough for the 3Ls to make up for this. At a lot of law schools this would sound horrible, but at UGA most people want to do government/public interest/small firm work which does hiring 3L year. As in you talk to them at orientation and that is what they want to do. It is uncool to want to do big law (though I am sure everyone secretly wants to just a little bit). I think in this way, they really do get to everyone. Top 30% of 2L class=coddled (but those are the ones who need help then) and everyone else gets attention 3L year (when they need it). It works, it can just feel frustrating. Many professors though are super willing to help you beyond what career services can/will do, though. It all evens out, it is just frustrating at times.

If anyone wants any more info, just let me know. You guys, I am going to guess, aren't going to find many law students hanging around the law school on ASD because ASD is the same day as Barrister's Ball (law school prom/shitshow). So unless you come and talk to students on Friday, you're only going to hear from people handpicked by the school to be positive derplords for the day at ASD.

defendthefort

New

Post by defendthefort » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:44 am

I've been "under review" since roughly 12/1. Should I email them at this point or just wait? I have solid GPA/LSAT numbers but not anything stellar. Applied RD.

I also don't have too much insight on Georgia admissions.. are they LSAT heavy, GPA heavy, softs important?

Thanks y'all.

BKCentral

Bronze

Post by BKCentral » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:13 am

defendthefort wrote:I've been "under review" since roughly 12/1. Should I email them at this point or just wait? I have solid GPA/LSAT numbers but not anything stellar. Applied RD.

I also don't have too much insight on Georgia admissions.. are they LSAT heavy, GPA heavy, softs important?

Thanks y'all.
I'll be honest I don't know much about their views in the way of softs, but recent years they have been much more LSAT heavy than GPA. Meaning, if you have a 165+ your GPA doesn't seem to matter as much (say, as long as it's above a 3.0 or so). However, if you have 3.9+ you probably still stand a good chance as long as your LSAT is not much below a 165.

Here is last year's LSN graph for UGA: http://georgia.lawschoolnumbers.com/sta ... Cycle=1112

prettyhorsederpychan

New

Post by prettyhorsederpychan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:15 pm

eandy wrote:
prettyhorsederpychan wrote:to those who are attending UGA Law, can you comment on the school?? What do you like about it, what do you not like about it? I know there are previous UGA threads out there, but I would love to get it in a fresh perspectives, thanks!
--I LOVE the students here. We do NOT have a gunning/competitive culture. Pretty much anyone will help anyone else. The school tries very hard, I think, to make all of the 1Ls bond. My class is very close. UGA law is a bit of a younger law school, I think, in terms of the age of students, but there are still some married/older people, too. However, if you don't like going out at all, you might be unhappy here. There is not much to do in Athens beyond going out downtown. There's a huge local music scene which is cool.
--I like the year long schedule. It is controversial because there are definitely pros and cons. The biggest con is that you only have one real grade (criminal law) going into the 1L job search. So, if you don't do so hot in criminal law, it can make it difficult for you to find a paying job. That being said, all 1Ls find jobs. The huge pros are that (1) you really get to know your professors and (2) second semester is weighted a LOT more so that everyone has time to adjust to law school/learn from first semester mistakes.
--I have had some amazing professors that really cared about students. Many of your 1L professors will get a keg (usually from the local Terrapin brewery, yum) and invite you over to their house in the spring to hang out.
--The renovations have really made the law school a lot nicer. It's really easy to go in early in the day and then stay all day long if you want. Plenty of fridge space, microwave access, there is a coffee shop inside the school, everyone has their own locker, and lots of space outside the library to eat/hangout.
--There are a LOT of really good clinics and they are open to you as soon as you start 2L, so you can start racking up lots of practical experience early.

Dislike:
--The only really bad thing I have to say is going to sound worse than I mean it to, I am going to guess. Career services makes it pretty clear that they don't have time for 1Ls and 2Ls. 2Ls they will bend over backwards for top 30% but everyone else will kind of be made to feel like a 1L. That being said, if you keep after it, you'll get the attention that you want/need. They make themselves available, they just won't go out of their way unless you make them. They do, though, work hard enough for the 3Ls to make up for this. At a lot of law schools this would sound horrible, but at UGA most people want to do government/public interest/small firm work which does hiring 3L year. As in you talk to them at orientation and that is what they want to do. It is uncool to want to do big law (though I am sure everyone secretly wants to just a little bit). I think in this way, they really do get to everyone. Top 30% of 2L class=coddled (but those are the ones who need help then) and everyone else gets attention 3L year (when they need it). It works, it can just feel frustrating. Many professors though are super willing to help you beyond what career services can/will do, though. It all evens out, it is just frustrating at times.

If anyone wants any more info, just let me know. You guys, I am going to guess, aren't going to find many law students hanging around the law school on ASD because ASD is the same day as Barrister's Ball (law school prom/shitshow). So unless you come and talk to students on Friday, you're only going to hear from people handpicked by the school to be positive derplords for the day at ASD.
wow thank you for such detailed response! I really appreciate it. It's great to hear so many of the student body is non big-law geared. I would also love to be in govt / small firm so this works perfectly! how would you say the market is for 3L is though, do most of them leave happy or is it just as bad as tls/atl say it is where if you don't go biglaw you won't find anything? Sorry if the question is too broad haha

Sad that the ASD is overlapping with barristers!! I would've loved to see the school on its regular schedule (and the non-"derplords" lool).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Come on that Friday if you can. There are fewer people around on Fridays but then you can sit in on a class or two.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:40 pm

eandy wrote:Come on that Friday if you can. There are fewer people around on Fridays but then you can sit in on a class or two.
What would be a good weekend to come out this semester? I live in atl and I've been itching for a good excuse to get out to athens/visit UGA Law. Also, I think I have to use the ASW to visit somewhere not quite so close to home (it overlaps with about EVERY school)

edit: I would probably come up on a thursday

skolks

New

Post by skolks » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:48 pm

T00L wrote:
eandy wrote:Come on that Friday if you can. There are fewer people around on Fridays but then you can sit in on a class or two.
What would be a good weekend to come out this semester? I live in atl and I've been itching for a good excuse to get out to athens/visit UGA Law. Also, I think I have to use the ASW to visit somewhere not quite so close to home (it overlaps with about EVERY school)

I'm visiting tomorrow actually! The 930 class will be my earliest of the semester haha

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 pm

T00L wrote:

Lookup when the twilight festival is.. That's a fun weekend. Pretty much anytime is fine. At some point there will be a public interest weekend you are invited to where housing is provided. If you're interested in that, ask about it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:30 pm

skolks wrote:
T00L wrote:

I'm visiting tomorrow actually! The 930 class will be my earliest of the semester haha
Aww well I have sucky work tomorrow.

I'll look into it, eandy. Thanks for the reply

tivo152

New

Post by tivo152 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:35 pm

In via status checker! UGA was my top choice until I got a full-ride at W&L, now I have some serious decisions to make! :lol:

164/3.72 if anybody is curious

VanillaBear

New

Post by VanillaBear » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:58 pm

In via status checker today!!!! UGA is such a great school. I had a 162/3.9 for those who are interested in tracking admit numbers.

BKCentral

Bronze

Post by BKCentral » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Sad there still have been nothing sent about ASD or the AS Reception. Feel like UGA has been extremely quiet compared to other schools at which I've been accepted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Feels like I've been under review forever. At least waitlist me UGA so I can improve my score next Saturday!

prettyhorsederpychan

New

Post by prettyhorsederpychan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:03 am

Jones Day reception, who's going?!?

BKCentral

Bronze

Post by BKCentral » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:06 am

99% sure I'll be there.

prettyhorsederpychan

New

Post by prettyhorsederpychan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:13 am

I really wanna go but it's on a thursday : (. I kind of wish they made it a weekend. Oh well!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BKCentral

Bronze

Post by BKCentral » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:19 am

prettyhorsederpychan wrote:I really wanna go but it's on a thursday : (. I kind of wish they made it a weekend. Oh well!
Yeah I agree, I guess they have to do it on a weekday to maximize the amount of working alumni that would go? Are you not going to be able to make it? :(

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:22 am

BKCentral wrote:
prettyhorsederpychan wrote:I really wanna go but it's on a thursday : (. I kind of wish they made it a weekend. Oh well!
Yeah I agree, I guess they have to do it on a weekday to maximize the amount of working alumni that would go? Are you not going to be able to make it? :(
Shit. I'm going to miss it by two days.... Leave for Italy on the 29th. ...Guess I shouldn't be complaining, but that would have been a great opportunity.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:37 am

T00L wrote:
BKCentral wrote:
Shit. I'm going to miss it by two days.... Leave for Italy on the 29th. ...Guess I shouldn't be complaining, but that would have been a great opportunity.
It's really not that big of deal, trust me. You'll get plenty more opportunities like this if you attend. For example, there is usually a Sutherland or Jones Day tailgate where they come up and tailgate with us and there are always traditional receptions as well.

And again, anyone who can't make ASD, ask about PILC weekend. Often housing is provided, and I promise that besides meeting other accepted students, you won't miss out on anything from ASD except a moot court demo you can catch again at orientation if you like.

ClassyKelly

New

Post by ClassyKelly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Unless I'm accepted to William & Mary w/ a large scholarship (OR to my reach school) I plan to attend UGA. I have three questions/issues:

1. I sent an email about 5 days ago explaining why I would like them to reconsider my scholarship award (tuition equalization + 5K per year). Wake Forest offered 30K each year so I used that as a bargaining tool. I haven't heard back from UGA yet. Has anyone engaged in any scholarship negotiation with UGA? If so, how long did it take to hear back? How generous were they upon your request for review/increase in award?

2. I'm an AA female and I'd like to hear from an AA UGA student or anyone who knows about the BLSA chapter. I would like to know more about it's size and influence. Do they hold networking events with BLSA alumni? Is there a large BLSA alumni network? Any other information on BLSA that could be helpful is appreciated.

3. I'll be in West Africa during Jones Day and other ASD events. How helpful/necessary are these events to admitted students? Is it a major disadvantage that I can't attend the events?

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:28 pm

VanillaBear wrote:In via status checker today!!!! UGA is such a great school. I had a 162/3.9 for those who are interested in tracking admit numbers.
Can you tell me when you applied? At this point I'd be happy just to get an answer. I've been "under review" for a while now.

nolubba1037

New

Post by nolubba1037 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:31 pm

found out this morning via email i was accepted! (160/3.8, strong softs)

georgia32

Bronze

Post by georgia32 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:33 pm

I'd love to hear anything back, UGA is my top choice.

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:35 pm

georgia32 wrote:I'd love to hear anything back, UGA is my top choice.
I haven't seen you since LSAT Waiting... how is the cycle treating you? Other than UGA silence.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”