Northeastern c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
afangel804

Re: Northeastern c/o 2015 applicants

Postby afangel804 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:32 pm

I submitted apps very late (complete on 1/31) so I am pretty nervous about this cycle...especially considering my LSAT score. :shock:

3.84/155
6 years AD USAF Airborne Linguist

Best of luck to you all.

chunkers24

Postby chunkers24 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Have any applicants who were deferred received numerous mailings asking them to visit Northeastern? I received 1 prior to being deferred, and 2 since I was deferred in the middle of January... I doubt I'm a special case, and am just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:49 pm

chunkers24 wrote:Have any applicants who were deferred received numerous mailings asking them to visit Northeastern? I received 1 prior to being deferred, and 2 since I was deferred in the middle of January... I doubt I'm a special case, and am just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I haven't gotten any emails like that, but I visited a few weeks after I applied, so. That might have something to do with it (I doubt it, but you never know for sure).

chunkers24

Postby chunkers24 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:15 pm

who knows? i would love to visit northeastern, but unfortunately don't have the time to do so right now.

martorem

Postby martorem » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Just got an email saying I didn't get the PILS. Will be withdrawing soon. Good luck everyone!!

Ec84

Postby Ec84 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:26 pm

martorem wrote:Just got an email saying I didn't get the PILS. Will be withdrawing soon. Good luck everyone!!

I got the same email. I'm not withdrawing though, I was not too surprised to not get the PILS.

naw

Postby naw » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:34 am

Yeah, no PILS here either. Bah.

davwrite

Postby davwrite » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:52 pm

GAH c'mon already! I'm dancing in my pants just waiting for an email... I'm hoping I get a notification today, being Friday and all...

162 / 2.89

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:54 pm

davwrite wrote:GAH c'mon already! I'm dancing in my pants just waiting for an email... I'm hoping I get a notification today, being Friday and all...

162 / 2.89

I've been complete since early October...in other words, I agree ;~;

twirlygirl

Postby twirlygirl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:38 pm

waitlisted via status checker, no e-mail yet.

sumtimesuwonder

Postby sumtimesuwonder » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:23 pm

My status updated today. Does this mean anything?

davwrite

Postby davwrite » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:09 pm

sumtimesuwonder wrote:My status updated today. Does this mean anything?

You, you trollin' sonavabitch... jk, but seriously, is that a serious question? Deets req'd

sumtimesuwonder

Postby sumtimesuwonder » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:26 pm

;)

Darko86

Postby Darko86 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:05 pm

In with 3.01/166.

hob12

Postby hob12 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Looks like I'll have to withdraw, I tried my hand at negotiating scholarship with them, but no luck.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:24 pm

In via status checker! Thought for sure a deferral was a reject, or that I wouldn't get a decision until April 15, but I guess I got lucky! Wonder if they've given out all their scholarship money though...

NYC KID

Postby NYC KID » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:03 pm

puremorning wrote:In via status checker! Thought for sure a deferral was a reject, or that I wouldn't get a decision until April 15, but I guess I got lucky! Wonder if they've given out all their scholarship money though...

Congrats! I'm in a similar position. Deferred to regular pool in january.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:54 pm

puremorning wrote:In via status checker! Thought for sure a deferral was a reject, or that I wouldn't get a decision until April 15, but I guess I got lucky! Wonder if they've given out all their scholarship money though...

Congrats!!! Definitely gives me hope for my own chances. (I was an EA-er who was deferred to RD pool)

eta: what are yr numbers? /too lazy to read rest of thread

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:41 pm

vpintz wrote:

Congrats!!! Definitely gives me hope for my own chances. (I was an EA-er who was deferred to RD pool)

eta: what are yr numbers? /too lazy to read rest of thread

Haha it's cool, 161/3.1, MSW and WE. When I got my deferral I was like, well guess I'm done, but then as I got more acceptances in my cycle I figured I should probably get in. We'll see if any money comes though...

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Got my acceptance packet with no scholarship money. Here's the situation though: I am 100% sure I will practice public interest law. I'm finishing up my MSW right now and plan to supplement my JD with that. So I'm fully devoted to that kind of work. I have loans from my Master's program, but they're only federal. So regardless of where I go, I'll already be in debt and will get myself into even more. HOWEVER, since I'm certain I'm going into public interest, I'm relying on the federal public service loan forgiveness program to forgive my loans after 10 years, after I pay 120 payments based on an income based repayment plan. Are you still with me? Northeastern has the best LRAP program out of any school I'm looking at, and gives students in public interest law money to pay off their loans, depending on a scale they created.

With this being said, would it make sense for me to go balls to the wall and pay sticker, knowing that in the end the government will wave a magic wand and forgive it? I've spent the last 3 days investigating this and looking for the "you get forgiveness in exchange for your firstborn" clause, but I can't find it.

I love Northeastern, and their program is absolutely perfect for me. I don't think that this plan is 100% foolproof, but it could be about 99%. I've even looked into what happens to this plan once I get married, go on maternity leave, have a period of unemployment, and it all seems to work out. Is this too good to be true or is this exactly what they were going for when they created these programs?

martorem

Postby martorem » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:32 pm

puremorning wrote:Got my acceptance packet with no scholarship money. Here's the situation though: I am 100% sure I will practice public interest law. I'm finishing up my MSW right now and plan to supplement my JD with that. So I'm fully devoted to that kind of work. I have loans from my Master's program, but they're only federal. So regardless of where I go, I'll already be in debt and will get myself into even more. HOWEVER, since I'm certain I'm going into public interest, I'm relying on the federal public service loan forgiveness program to forgive my loans after 10 years, after I pay 120 payments based on an income based repayment plan. Are you still with me? Northeastern has the best LRAP program out of any school I'm looking at, and gives students in public interest law money to pay off their loans, depending on a scale they created.

With this being said, would it make sense for me to go balls to the wall and pay sticker, knowing that in the end the government will wave a magic wand and forgive it? I've spent the last 3 days investigating this and looking for the "you get forgiveness in exchange for your firstborn" clause, but I can't find it.

I love Northeastern, and their program is absolutely perfect for me. I don't think that this plan is 100% foolproof, but it could be about 99%. I've even looked into what happens to this plan once I get married, go on maternity leave, have a period of unemployment, and it all seems to work out. Is this too good to be true or is this exactly what they were going for when they created these programs?

Two questions:

1. Did you apply for the PILS? That would have been a full ride.

2. Do you qualify for need-based aid? They might help you for that.

Northeastern is great for PI and has a really good reputation in Boston as well, so you could probably figure something out for after graduation. Or you could be like me and plan to sell your soul for a few years to pay everything off and then jump into PI after...good luck with your decision!

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:36 pm

martorem wrote:
puremorning wrote:Got my acceptance packet with no scholarship money. Here's the situation though: I am 100% sure I will practice public interest law. I'm finishing up my MSW right now and plan to supplement my JD with that. So I'm fully devoted to that kind of work. I have loans from my Master's program, but they're only federal. So regardless of where I go, I'll already be in debt and will get myself into even more. HOWEVER, since I'm certain I'm going into public interest, I'm relying on the federal public service loan forgiveness program to forgive my loans after 10 years, after I pay 120 payments based on an income based repayment plan. Are you still with me? Northeastern has the best LRAP program out of any school I'm looking at, and gives students in public interest law money to pay off their loans, depending on a scale they created.

Two questions:

1. Did you apply for the PILS? That would have been a full ride.

2. Do you qualify for need-based aid? They might help you for that.

Northeastern is great for PI and has a really good reputation in Boston as well, so you could probably figure something out for after graduation. Or you could be like me and plan to sell your soul for a few years to pay everything off and then jump into PI after...good luck with your decision!

I didn't apply for the PILS b/c I just got in last week. I was initially deferred and thought that that definitely meant rejection. I think that I'll be able to get work in public interest with my Master's degree, is it too presumptuous of me to just rely on others from here on out to cover my debt? I do qualify for need-based, so that's true, I might get something from there.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:48 pm

You're plan is the one I'm probably going to be banking on as well. Scholarship money seems to have become pretty useless (unless you can get a ton!) for those who are interested in PI. I'm sure you've been looking at scenarios, but the way I see it, if my spouse and I are making $100,000 collectively (Northeastern's program takes 1/2 so $50,000). 10% of $50,000 over 10 years means I'm paying $50,000 for my education. Not too shabby. Compare that to someone going into non-PI work and how much scholly money they'd need to get to that level. You're looking at it the right way from what I can tell.

davwrite

Postby davwrite » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Admitted on 2/17, coincidentally, right after my plane touched down at Logan. Went up to visit friends, tour the law school.

I think this is the best way to put it; my enthusiasm for Northeastern Law has been dampened. :(

Definitely judged a book by its cover. (need to pick up a copy of Strunk and White and finally learn the rules about possessive apostrophes) What I immediately didn't like was the state of the facilities at the classroom building (Doser? Dozer? something like that). While I never saw anyone using their feet to open doors, and thus marking them up, peeling up laminate from the corners of tables, leaning on the walls, or leaving hand prints on the glass, I did see all these things. It appears to be the manifestation of absent-mindedness or carelessness, but is also equally likely to be the normal wear and tear from hardworking students utilizing what the building has to offer. What sets off red flags is that even within my limited experience of using libraries and classrooms during my undergraduate studies, the effort to repair facilities and "keep up appearances" in general was not just visible, but an evident priority. Some may find this shallow or even irrelevant, but I'm a quirky fucker and this stuff plays a part in my judging and eventual decision-making processes.

While I know what I'm getting into, considering a school grounded in PI law and whatnot, I found it hard to digest the volume and magnitude of "social justice" propaganda in trophy cases, on posters, et cetera. I realize that it's unrealistic to expect an education without a hint of an agenda behind it, regardless of the proponent, but I was personally overwhelmed by the atmosphere. Again, bear in mind that these are my observations and impressions of the facilities, and not judgements of the students.

Across the street, I took the opportunity to tour the main athletic facilites for Northestern, and I was very impressed! I'm a big "anima sana in corpore sano" kind of guy when I'm not pounding beer and bumming cigarettes from strangers. Good to know that stress relief is a quick hop across the street. There's even a pool (and turf field) inside (read: indoors) another athletic facility on the same side of the street as the law building.

I didn't get around to seeing the rest of the campus, but I was overall very impressed with Northeastern. Not to mention, Boston is quite the place to be. It will remain on my options list.

Any questions? Does anyone give a shit? Best of luck to all of you!

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:46 pm

davwrite wrote:While I know what I'm getting into, considering a school grounded in PI law and whatnot, I found it hard to digest the volume and magnitude of "social justice" propaganda in trophy cases, on posters, et cetera. I realize that it's unrealistic to expect an education without a hint of an agenda behind it, regardless of the proponent, but I was personally overwhelmed by the atmosphere. Again, bear in mind that these are my observations and impressions of the facilities, and not judgements of the students.

First, congrats on the acceptance! Secondly, that's what I like about it, ngl. >.> I'm all PI/social justice all the time.

I'll be visiting campus (one of my good friends goes there for UG) again this March, so I can take pictures and stuff and post them here if anybody would like me to do that :]

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”