W&L c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Preferred ASW Weekend

February 17-18
35
35%
March 16-17
36
36%
March 30-31
30
30%
 
Total votes: 101

wl1l
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby wl1l » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:42 pm

hadisious wrote:
skolks wrote:
anjmissy wrote:Yeah it was great..the ice cream in macado's is worth trying, but def not the food in tuscany, the formal dinner and the lunch on campus was helpful because at each table 2 current students were there to answer questions, what I noticed was everyone speaking so highly of the 3L program..and even the 1Ls love how small the sections are so they can get the attention they need from the professors..also a questioned was asked in my roundtable group if the new dean will keep the 3L program and the professors said that's one of the main reasons she came on board is because she loves the program, so its not going anywhere..it was just an overall good vibe from the staff and students


About how small are the sections? Just curious, because I know other schools split up into sections, but they're way larger classes to begin with. Thanks!


IIRC, all 1Ls have a section class of 20 students in their first two semesters (not the same group all year, but a different mix of twenty each semester).


Correct. Each semester you have your "small section" consisting of about 20 students. It's a substantive class (i.e., Contracts, Torts, Property) paired with a Legal Writing class that meets separately, but with the same prof and group of students. We don't have traditional sections here like at other law schools (i.e., you are Section A and you have the same 75-100 people in all of your 5 classes). Your small section/legal writing will be the same group, and then your other three courses will have more of a cross-section of the class. Then it all shuffles the next semester. I actually prefer it, because it allows you to really get to know all of your classmates, whereas more rigid sections would seem to limit your interactions with other students.

User avatar
CwallXC322
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby CwallXC322 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Any other reviews/pics/comments about the school or the weekend in general? What'd everyone think of potential housing off campus?

They say on the website that projected living costs will be 16k? Is that an accurate figure?

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:40 pm

I'd love to see more pictures. I won't be coming to Lexington until March or so.

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby goldeneye » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:45 pm

.
Last edited by goldeneye on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 pm

also i attended the fin aid presentation and Brett said they are estimating an increase in cost of attendance by 5% I believe for next year, please correct me if I'm wrong

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby goldeneye » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 pm

.
Last edited by goldeneye on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hadisious
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby hadisious » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:23 pm

goldeneye wrote:Does anyone have an idea if W&L has been known to negotiate at all?

+1

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:38 pm

goldeneye wrote:Does anyone have an idea if W&L has been known to negotiate at all?


i was wondering this as well, but what you may want to look at is wake's accepted/deny forum because the dean of that school posted a brief novel about how to go about asking for more money

heres the link
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=168683&p=5171980#p5171980

i know this is wake but see how they don't differ greatly as far as size and rank i thought it could contribute to this discussion

User avatar
BKCentral
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby BKCentral » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:50 pm

goldeneye wrote:Does anyone have an idea if W&L has been known to negotiate at all?


I spoke to a couple current students about this; both said they aren't known to negotiate. They said it's always worth trying, but that they didn't really know anyone who had successfully done so (granted this is only 2 students' accounts).

ColumbiaOrBust
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:15 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby ColumbiaOrBust » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:09 pm

goldeneye wrote:Does anyone have an idea if W&L has been known to negotiate at all?


They do not. I can speak from personal experience.

User avatar
ashley12
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:11 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby ashley12 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:11 pm

ColumbiaOrBust wrote:
goldeneye wrote:Does anyone have an idea if W&L has been known to negotiate at all?


They do not. I can speak from personal experience.


+1. Doesn't happen.

ETA: But it won't kill you to ask, I suppose. At the very least you'll get to chat with Brett. Silver lining.

User avatar
BKCentral
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby BKCentral » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Well shit. I absolutely loved the place and had almost made it my new #1, but it's hard to overlook the 8K difference a year from a school ranked pretty much exactly the same.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby T00L » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:20 pm

BKCentral wrote:Well shit. I absolutely loved the place and had almost made it my new #1, but it's hard to overlook the 8K difference a year from a school ranked pretty much exactly the same.


Like said above, it will never kill you to ask. Brett's not going to say, "Well because you are such a self-important douchebag for asking.... I think I'm going to take away what you have already received...." Although it would be REALLY funny to hear BT use the word "douchebag"

I still wish he had come to Jazzy nights.

User avatar
ashley12
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:11 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby ashley12 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:24 pm

My pictures are all terrible, but I guess it's better to see terrible than nothing. Here's a few

Edit... holy crap huge. I'll edit

User avatar
BKCentral
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby BKCentral » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:25 pm

T00L wrote:
BKCentral wrote:Well shit. I absolutely loved the place and had almost made it my new #1, but it's hard to overlook the 8K difference a year from a school ranked pretty much exactly the same.


Like said above, it will never kill you to ask. Brett's not going to say, "Well because you are such a self-important douchebag for asking.... I think I'm going to take away what you have already received...." Although it would be REALLY funny to hear BT use the word "douchebag"

I still wish he had come to Jazzy nights.


I think I would cry if Brett ever seemed disappointed in me. But yeah, I'm still going to try because it is so important and might just be a make or break for me.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby T00L » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:26 pm

BKCentral wrote:
T00L wrote:
BKCentral wrote:Well shit. I absolutely loved the place and had almost made it my new #1, but it's hard to overlook the 8K difference a year from a school ranked pretty much exactly the same.


Like said above, it will never kill you to ask. Brett's not going to say, "Well because you are such a self-important douchebag for asking.... I think I'm going to take away what you have already received...." Although it would be REALLY funny to hear BT use the word "douchebag"

I still wish he had come to Jazzy nights.


I think I would cry if Brett ever seemed disappointed in me. But yeah, I'm still going to try because it is so important and might just be a make or break for me.


tell them that too

User avatar
jerichosm
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby jerichosm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:27 pm

T00L wrote:
BKCentral wrote:
T00L wrote:
BKCentral wrote:Well shit. I absolutely loved the place and had almost made it my new #1, but it's hard to overlook the 8K difference a year from a school ranked pretty much exactly the same.


Like said above, it will never kill you to ask. Brett's not going to say, "Well because you are such a self-important douchebag for asking.... I think I'm going to take away what you have already received...." Although it would be REALLY funny to hear BT use the word "douchebag"

I still wish he had come to Jazzy nights.


I think I would cry if Brett ever seemed disappointed in me. But yeah, I'm still going to try because it is so important and might just be a make or break for me.


tell them that too



Yeah the tears part might help lol -- "Brett, you're like a big brother to me..."

User avatar
kroakstool
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby kroakstool » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:27 pm

BKCentral wrote:Well shit. I absolutely loved the place and had almost made it my new #1, but it's hard to overlook the 8K difference a year from a school ranked pretty much exactly the same.


I talked to Director Twitty today. I explained my situation (I have to make a deposit by April 1 to accept a scholarship to one of my schools). He let me know that they make what they believe is a competitive offer and may increase it but right now it is really early in the process and they have a lot of money out on the table and they don't know who all will accept and if there is a possibility they will have more money to allocate. He was very nice and understanding of my situation. He said later on in the process he might have more info and would let me know. He told me to keep in touch and let them know how the process is going for me. He sounded sincere when he said things might change later on down the road. Hope this helps

User avatar
BKCentral
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby BKCentral » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:31 pm

kroakstool wrote:
BKCentral wrote:Well shit. I absolutely loved the place and had almost made it my new #1, but it's hard to overlook the 8K difference a year from a school ranked pretty much exactly the same.


I talked to Director Twitty today. I explained my situation (I have to make a deposit by April 1 to accept a scholarship to one of my schools). He let me know that they make what they believe is a competitive offer and may increase it but right now it is really early in the process and they have a lot of money out on the table and they don't know who all will accept and if there is a possibility they will have more money to allocate. He was very nice and understanding of my situation. He said later on in the process he might have more info and would let me know. He told me to keep in touch and let them know how the process is going for me. He sounded sincere when he said things might change later on down the road. Hope this helps


Ok thanks for the info. Question- did you call? I thought it was normal to e-mail for scholly negotiations with the other school's award attached. It is better to call to make it more personal?

User avatar
kroakstool
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby kroakstool » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 pm

BKCentral wrote:
kroakstool wrote:
BKCentral wrote:Well shit. I absolutely loved the place and had almost made it my new #1, but it's hard to overlook the 8K difference a year from a school ranked pretty much exactly the same.


I talked to Director Twitty today. I explained my situation (I have to make a deposit by April 1 to accept a scholarship to one of my schools). He let me know that they make what they believe is a competitive offer and may increase it but right now it is really early in the process and they have a lot of money out on the table and they don't know who all will accept and if there is a possibility they will have more money to allocate. He was very nice and understanding of my situation. He said later on in the process he might have more info and would let me know. He told me to keep in touch and let them know how the process is going for me. He sounded sincere when he said things might change later on down the road. Hope this helps


Ok thanks for the info. Question- did you call? I thought it was normal to e-mail for scholly negotiations with the other school's award attached. It is better to call to make it more personal?


I sent him an email and he asked me to call him today. I didn't attach the scholly award letters. I figured if they really wanted them, they would ask.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm ready to send a LOCI. I saw on the W&L website that they like PDF files when updating an application. Should I scan as a .pdf and e-mail it instead of mailing?

User avatar
beezy08
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby beezy08 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:49 pm

kroakstool wrote:
BKCentral wrote:
kroakstool wrote:
BKCentral wrote:Well shit. I absolutely loved the place and had almost made it my new #1, but it's hard to overlook the 8K difference a year from a school ranked pretty much exactly the same.


I talked to Director Twitty today. I explained my situation (I have to make a deposit by April 1 to accept a scholarship to one of my schools). He let me know that they make what they believe is a competitive offer and may increase it but right now it is really early in the process and they have a lot of money out on the table and they don't know who all will accept and if there is a possibility they will have more money to allocate. He was very nice and understanding of my situation. He said later on in the process he might have more info and would let me know. He told me to keep in touch and let them know how the process is going for me. He sounded sincere when he said things might change later on down the road. Hope this helps


Ok thanks for the info. Question- did you call? I thought it was normal to e-mail for scholly negotiations with the other school's award attached. It is better to call to make it more personal?


I sent him an email and he asked me to call him today. I didn't attach the scholly award letters. I figured if they really wanted them, they would ask.


I need to call Brett Twitty and discuss these things. Did you get any type of vibe that at this school leverage isn't as important as is a genuine interest in the school and a delicate financial situation? W&L seems like that type of place to me so I was thinking about going about it in that fashion (and cuz my leverage is only mediocre-same scholly at a school ranked slightly below but that scholly is a larger proportion of tuition). They honestly just seem more personal than most schools.
Last edited by beezy08 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
jerichosm
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby jerichosm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:50 pm

noleknight16 wrote:I'm ready to send a LOCI. I saw on the W&L website that they like PDF files when updating an application. Should I scan as a .pdf and e-mail it instead of mailing?


W&L seems pretty tech-savvy -- personally, I'd send them the email with the PDF attached and offer to mail it to them if they would prefer

User avatar
kroakstool
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby kroakstool » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:59 pm

beezy08 wrote: I need to call Brett Twitty and discuss these things. Did you get any type of vibe that at this school leverage isn't as important as is a genuine interest in the school and a delicate financial situation? W&L seems like that type of place to me so I was thinking about going about it in that fashion (and cuz my leverage is only mediocre-same scholly at a school ranked slightly below but that scholly is a larger proportion of tuition). They honestly just seem more personal than most schools.


I got the vibe that he understood how the law school admissions process feels for students and that finances plays a big role. He seemed to like that I was so interested in the school and wanted me to come to admitted student weekend with my fiancee. I understand that they have a lot of offers out and that they can't promise too much to too many people. He seemed sincere and just really nice. That's the vibe I got.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby T00L » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:01 pm

kroakstool wrote:
beezy08 wrote: I need to call Brett Twitty and discuss these things. Did you get any type of vibe that at this school leverage isn't as important as is a genuine interest in the school and a delicate financial situation? W&L seems like that type of place to me so I was thinking about going about it in that fashion (and cuz my leverage is only mediocre-same scholly at a school ranked slightly below but that scholly is a larger proportion of tuition). They honestly just seem more personal than most schools.


I got the vibe that he understood how the law school admissions process feels for students and that finances plays a big role. He seemed to like that I was so interested in the school and wanted me to come to admitted student weekend with my fiancee. I understand that they have a lot of offers out and that they can't promise too much to too many people. He seemed sincere and just really nice. That's the vibe I got.


Their yield is like 10%. That must be having a HUGE impact on their ranking




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”