W&L c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Preferred ASW Weekend

February 17-18
35%
March 16-17
36%
March 30-31
30%

Total votes: 101

crouton62

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby crouton62 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:43 pm

Long time lurker,first time poster. Looks like I'm heading back to Lex. So pumped. I went there for UG and loved, loved it. If anyone has any questions about life in Lex or whatever, I'd be happy to answer.

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:45 pm

crouton62 wrote:Long time lurker,first time poster. Looks like I'm heading back to Lex. So pumped. I went there for UG and loved, loved it. If anyone has any questions about life in Lex or whatever, I'd be happy to answer.

Is there really only one bar in town and no place for musicians to play? Any other general comments/why you loved it so much? I'm really excited about coming up there in Feb. for ASW and checking it out.

jerichosm

Postby jerichosm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:46 pm

crouton62 wrote:Long time lurker,first time poster. Looks like I'm heading back to Lex. So pumped. I went there for UG and loved, loved it. If anyone has any questions about life in Lex or whatever, I'd be happy to answer.

Are people in Lexington as bad of drivers as those in NE Virginia (Fairfax area)?

I had an internship in Fairfax this past summer and basically wanted to punch myself in the face because people were so bad at driving lol

crouton62

Postby crouton62 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Haha, I'll give you that about NOVA drivers; simply awful. Did a few job interviews up in DC and driving through it scared me.

Driving in Lex can actually kinda be a pain. The town itself is really small, but has an absurd number of traffic lights that are slow; it can be kinda backed-up at times. Also, Lex is a semi-police state. Town cops and county sheriffs are everywhere are real hardcore. Combine them with the VA state police and it can be rough out there on the road haha.

RunninRoo

Postby RunninRoo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 pm

crouton62 wrote:Haha, I'll give you that about NOVA drivers; simply awful. Did a few job interviews up in DC and driving through it scared me.

Driving in Lex can actually kinda be a pain. The town itself is really small, but has an absurd number of traffic lights that are slow; it can be kinda backed-up at times. Also, Lex is a semi-police state. Town cops and county sheriffs are everywhere are real hardcore. Combine them with the VA state police and it can be rough out there on the road haha.

Did you do UG at W&L? From the people I know it wasn't the best college town for some.. few have been "pumped" to back head there

crouton62

Postby crouton62 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:22 pm

freaknroll wrote:

Is there really only one bar in town and no place for musicians to play? Any other general comments/why you loved it so much? I'm really excited about coming up there in Feb. for ASW and checking it out.

Yes, only one bar that as a law student you'll frequent on a regular basis. The other two are a townie bar that can get some rougher characters and has a more honkey-tonk vibe or a more intimate, take-date-for-drinks kinda place. And the one bar that W&L kids go to is an Applebees-type place that becomes a bar past 9:00. That said, the school knows this and puts on a ton of parties for the law school. The law school has something called Feb Club (during month of Feb) which is where the school puts on about two parties a week for at different law student's houses. Most were themed kinda like a Greek party from UG. Lots of times, we could hear the law school throwing down from the UG side of campus. A word about Feb ASD. The UGs will be gone for Winter break so the school and town will be even quieter than usual. Just don't everything is quite that dead as you check it out! haha.

As for why I love Lex and W&L so much, so many reasons. The town is so quite and peaceful; great place to study and buckle down. You can walk to anywhere you really want to go except WalMart. Also, it is way cheap to live. Most I ever paid in rent was 650 and that included utilities. And even that price was pretty much unheard of. The community of W&L cannot be beat. The school has a Speaking Tradition which asks that you say hello or greet everyone you pass on campus. Also, the Honor System is so great. Folks at the law school left their laptops, cell phones, whatever all over the place and no one is gonna think twice about touching them. W&L kids on the whole are really smart but very down to earth about it. W&L UG and Law have always had a work hard/play hard vibe which I really appreciate.

crouton62

Postby crouton62 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:28 pm

RunninRoo wrote:
crouton62 wrote:Haha, I'll give you that about NOVA drivers; simply awful. Did a few job interviews up in DC and driving through it scared me.

Did you do UG at W&L? From the people I know it wasn't the best college town for some.. few have been "pumped" to back head there

Yeah I did. I'm a small town guy so I loved it. If you want an Athens or Chapel Hill kinda feel for law school, W&L/Lex isn't gonna be your scene. Socially, W&L UG was driven by the frats since Lex doesn't have the bars,clubs that you'll have in bigger college towns. But if you love small, quaint, peaceful towns where you can live on the cheap, this could be your place.

Sunneklaas

Postby Sunneklaas » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:57 pm

Kinda curious/ansty--also in last week scholly offer being mailed this monday any one care to offer an educated guess as to what a 3.19/166 white/NA will get me? Fire away if you dont mind

jerichosm

Postby jerichosm » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Sunneklaas wrote:Kinda curious/ansty--also in last week scholly offer being mailed this monday any one care to offer an educated guess as to what a 3.19/166 white/NA will get me? Fire away if you dont mind

As a 3.6/167 I got 40k/yr and a friend at 3.9/161 got 15k/yr so maybe somewhere in between? Those distributions suggest greater weight on LSAT scores, which obviously would be in your favor

Sunneklaas

Postby Sunneklaas » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:15 pm

jerichosm wrote:
Sunneklaas wrote:Kinda curious/ansty--also in last week scholly offer being mailed this monday any one care to offer an educated guess as to what a 3.19/166 white/NA will get me? Fire away if you dont mind

As a 3.6/167 I got 40k/yr and a friend at 3.9/161 got 15k/yr so maybe somewhere in between? Those distributions suggest greater weight on LSAT scores, which obviously would be in your favor

Thanks for the insight I would be mighty happy if it was anywhere between those two, congrats btw

Dash41

Postby Dash41 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:31 pm

My 3.47/167 got 20,000 a year.

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:00 pm

I got 40k per year with a 3.6/164. I really think they look beyond numbers for scholarships so if you had a good personal statement or a cool life story there's potential to get a lot of money even without really high numbers.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:I got 40k per year with a 3.6/164. I really think they look beyond numbers for scholarships so if you had a good personal statement or a cool life story there's potential to get a lot of money even without really high numbers.

Yeah I think they absolutely look beyond the numbers because I dont know how my numbers netted any money so I think they liked my whole application

Sunneklaas

Postby Sunneklaas » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Yea I checked out LSN and everything you guys are saying seems spot on. Hopefully my softs netted some bonus points we'll find out this week.--Anyone going to the first ASW in March?

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Got my career info today. It's always funny when my mail lady asks if this "big envelope" means anything.

I'll be at the first March ASW. All of us TLS'ers need to meetup while we're there. :lol:

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:36 pm

hey everyone I'll be at the February ASW and I'm starting a list of some places to look at to live and it'll be nice to meet some other people who are also looking for roomies, im not 100% set on W&L yet but I am 90% positive that I will commit. So message me if you are interested in looking at homes/apartments with another accepted student.

Sunneklaas

Postby Sunneklaas » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:44 pm

anjmissy wrote:hey everyone I'll be at the February ASW and I'm starting a list of some places to look at to live and it'll be nice to meet some other people who are also looking for roomies, im not 100% set on W&L yet but I am 90% positive that I will commit. So message me if you are interested in looking at homes/apartments with another accepted student.

Ill be there til sunday evening (meaning Ill have time to kill). being that I'm a dude, probably not a potential roomie for ya but I would love to check out the town amongst fellow TLSers.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Has anyone been WLed, had the interview, then got a decision? If so, how long it took?

I had the interview last week and wondering...

chrisk

Postby chrisk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:49 pm

I really wish I had gotten the 40k scholly, seems like my numbers were on the boarder of those that got the 20 v. 40. 166/3.5

RunninRoo

Postby RunninRoo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:54 pm

chrisk wrote:I really wish I had gotten the 40k scholly, seems like my numbers were on the boarder of those that got the 20 v. 40. 166/3.5

when did your letter get sent out? i'm in a similarish boat (probably hoping for the 20k, dk coupla other factors that weigh in on it).. i got accepted last week and they said the letter would go out today

Sunneklaas

Postby Sunneklaas » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:00 pm

RunninRoo wrote:
chrisk wrote:I really wish I had gotten the 40k scholly, seems like my numbers were on the boarder of those that got the 20 v. 40. 166/3.5

when did your letter get sent out? i'm in a similarish boat (probably hoping for the 20k, dk coupla other factors that weigh in on it).. i got accepted last week and they said the letter would go out today

Same situation here, also interested....do tell

chrisk

Postby chrisk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:02 pm

RunninRoo: I don't remember off the top of my head, but early December sometime. My Fall GPA was a 4.0 so I was hoping they would send me an increase possibly but I didn't get any more money. A 40k scholly would almost surely lock me into W&L though.

RunninRoo

Postby RunninRoo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:07 pm

chrisk wrote:RunninRoo: I don't remember off the top of my head, but early December sometime. My Fall GPA was a 4.0 so I was hoping they would send me an increase possibly but I didn't get any more money. A 40k scholly would almost surely lock me into W&L though.

Ahh.. I see I see.. for 40K I'd be sending the Dean and his kids Christmas presents the rest of my life probably... at this point with my #s i have nooo idea what to even expect (fingers crossed for something good); having said that too no way for me to improve upon things but good luck, perhaps they are just waiting a bit longer to get more feedback

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:21 pm

the reading for the mock class of the February ASW is available..here is the link http://law.wlu.edu/deptimages/admission ... 0House.pdf

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Received a letter dated 2/2 and bumper sticker. No mention of scholarships yet. It at least lets me know I should be receiving the scholarship info near the end of the week.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”