W&L c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Preferred ASW Weekend

February 17-18
35%
March 16-17
36%
March 30-31
30%

Total votes: 101

wvu

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby wvu » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Anyone else just get 3 mailings from 3 different Deans added to the list today?

LKI716

Postby LKI716 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:59 pm

wvuchip wrote:Just checked my mail, ready for disappointment, when I found a scholarship offer for $40k/year.

Literally beside myself. This is awesome. Just made my day... week... month

Congratulations! That's great!

chill

Postby chill » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:58 pm

No money. Probably rules W&L out, unless they're willing to negotiate. Alas.

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:05 pm

wvuchip wrote:Anyone else just get 3 mailings from 3 different Deans added to the list today?

I was accepted way back in November, also with the 40K/year. I had that update back in late November/early December. Assuming it is the same, the letters just provide additional information about the school.

Regardless, congrats on your acceptance/scholarship!

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:15 pm

important financial aid info:

have your fafsa submitted by February 1st everyone

http://www.wlu.edu/x39462.xml

also found this so we could get a feeling of when law loans will be disbursed

http://www.wlu.edu/x51404.xml

-don't count on loan money before school starts, because it won't be there until at least a week after classes is what I take from this

April Ludgate

Postby April Ludgate » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:26 pm

chill wrote:No money. Probably rules W&L out, unless they're willing to negotiate. Alas.

+1. Wasn't really expecting any, but I think W&L is now officially a no-go. Sucks.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:50 pm

Anyone going with a parent to ASW?

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:51 pm

anjmissy wrote:important financial aid info:

-don't count on loan money before school starts, because it won't be there until at least a week after classes is what I take from this

WAT. I won't even get my W-2 until the second week of February.

ashley12

Postby ashley12 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:53 pm

coldshoulder wrote:

Yeah, I called about that and they said to go ahead and estimate your earnings, fill in "Will File" for your 1040, and then update it later on.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:59 pm

coldshoulder wrote:

Why are you waiting on your w-2s to submit your fafsa

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:03 pm

Decided to go ahead and estimate everything and send it in. NVM. Too bad W&L doesn't give any need-based aid. I'm going to need to negotiate with W&M when I find out if I got a fellowship from them or not...

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Sigh. Finish reading people:
February 15, 2012
Applicants for the 2012-13 academic year are encouraged to submit their FAFSA by February 1, 2012. Submission of the FAFSA by this date will ensure a timely response from the Financial Aid Office.

April 1, 2012
Returning students should submit their FAFSA application by April 1, 2012.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Cornelius wrote:Sigh. Finish reading people:
February 15, 2012
Applicants for the 2012-13 academic year are encouraged to submit their FAFSA by February 1, 2012. Submission of the FAFSA by this date will ensure a timely response from the Financial Aid Office.

April 1, 2012

Yes, it's not a hard deadline, but do you really want to be late at all when it comes to financial aid?

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:39 pm

coldshoulder wrote:
February 15, 2012

April 1, 2012

Yes, it's not a hard deadline, but do you really want to be late at all when it comes to financial aid?

Considering the FAFSA is mainly for need based aid, which is almost nonexistent for law school, it doesn't really matter. As long as you're in by the actual deadline (April 1) you're going to get your loans.

Anything before April 1 is not late.

Merit aid has nothing to do with FAFSA.

wvu

Postby wvu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:12 pm

nshapkar wrote:Anyone going with a parent to ASW?

My dad is coming along as a travel partner, but he's staying well away from the actual ASW events. Will be nice to have another opinion on the town/housing and such though.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:01 pm

coldshoulder wrote:
February 15, 2012

April 1, 2012

+1

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Don't tell people that submitting fafsa anytime before april 1 is fine because its not..it took me 20 mins max to do it, why not just do it now..law school apps are mainly due march 1st, I hope u didn't tell people as long as they submitted ther apps before then it was fine cuz obviously its not, people are encouraged to apply by a certain date for a reason

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:25 pm

anjmissy wrote:Don't tell people that submitting fafsa anytime before april 1 is fine because its not..it took me 20 mins max to do it, why not just do it now..law school apps are mainly due march 1st, I hope u didn't tell people as long as they submitted ther apps before then it was fine cuz obviously its not, people are encouraged to apply by a certain date for a reason

Please go ahead and explain the clear benefit of doing it earlier to most people. The analogy to law school app deadlines is not analogous.

As I've already stated, merit aid has nothing to do with the FAFSA. W&L is already giving out merit aid. It's well-known that need-based aid is almost entirely nonexistent for law school. Obviously doing it sooner is to your benefit if feasible, if for no reason other than to get it out of the way, but there certainly is no rush because there is no clear benefit.

People are encouraged to submit earlier because it gives the school more time to handle all the incoming information, not because it benefits the students.
Last edited by Cornelius on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wvu

Postby wvu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:28 pm

anjmissy wrote:Don't tell people that submitting fafsa anytime before april 1 is fine because its not..it took me 20 mins max to do it, why not just do it now..law school apps are mainly due march 1st, I hope u didn't tell people as long as they submitted ther apps before then it was fine cuz obviously its not, people are encouraged to apply by a certain date for a reason

Which is? Because it's not that "applying early gets you more money", so I'm not sure where you're going with that comparison.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Cornelius wrote:

Please go ahead and explain the clear benefit of doing it earlier to most people. The analogy to law school app deadlines is not analogous.

As I've already stated, merit aid has nothing to do with the FAFSA. W&L is already giving out merit aid. It's well-known that need-based aid is almost entirely nonexistent for law school.

Point is..it takes 20 mins, why not do it now..its just not about the fafsa its about the law school preparing your financial aid package..most schools mail them mid march, so if you want your timely package its best to follow their february date

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:33 pm

anjmissy wrote:
Cornelius wrote:

As I've already stated, merit aid has nothing to do with the FAFSA. W&L is already giving out merit aid. It's well-known that need-based aid is almost entirely nonexistent for law school.

Point is..it takes 20 mins, why not do it now..its just not about the fafsa its about the law school preparing your financial aid package..most schools mail them mid march, so if you want your timely package its best to follow their february date

So you've backtracked to align with what I've said. Excellent.

Again, the "package" for 99% of people is just going to be loan information. If you want that information in a hurry, by all means get your FAFSA in asap. The deadline is April 1. Thefore, it is acceptable to submit any time up to that deadline.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Cornelius wrote:
anjmissy wrote:
Cornelius wrote:

So you've backtracked to align with what I've said. Excellent.

Again, the "package" for 99% of people is just going to be loan information.

Did I ever say it would be more than loan info?..no..you're really making this into something that it doesn't have to be..do you work for fafsa?.do you work for wlu?..all I'm doing is stating the date that's located on wlu website..if you're upset with that date then call wlu for your complaints

And no I don't know the reason why they selected the date they did..all I know is that they hav the best admissions process I've seen and the least I can do is abide by their "encouraged" date to submit my fafsa

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:46 pm

anjmissy wrote:Did I ever say it would be more than loan info?..no..you're really making this into something that it doesn't have to be..do you work for fafsa?.do you work for wlu?..all I'm doing is stating the date that's located on wlu website..if you're upset with that date then call wlu for your complaints

And no I don't know the reason why they selected the date they did..all I know is that they hav the best admissions process I've seen and the least I can do is abide by their "encouraged" date to submit my fafsa

Just clearing up an apparent misconception that "encouraged" should be taken to mean mandatory. Obviously sooner is better, but people are turning it into an "OMG get your FAFSA in like right now!!!!" If you submit your FAFSA on February 2 the world is not going to end. If you want to wait until the first week of February when you get your W-2, you're going to be fine. The loans are not going to run out, you're still going to get an aid package.

And you did quite a bit more than state the date.
Last edited by Cornelius on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:57 pm

Cornelius wrote:
anjmissy wrote:Did I ever say it would be more than loan info?..no..you're really making this into something that it doesn't have to be..do you work for fafsa?.do you work for wlu?..all I'm doing is stating the date that's located on wlu website..if you're upset with that date then call wlu for your complaints

Just clearing up an apparent misconception that "encouraged" should be taken to mean mandatory. Obviously sooner is better, but people are turning it into an "OMG get your FAFSA in like right now!!!!" If you submit your FAFSA on February 2 the world is not going to end.

And you did quite a bit more than state the date.

Well they should be getting it in now, or if they have never done one at least go over the form..yeah I may have mistakenly interpreted encouraged to mean deadline but that's ok in my book

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:54 am

Does anyone know if they require parents' info for the FAFSA? I've looked all over their site but I'm really good at missing things that are otherwise out in the open ...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”