W&L c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Preferred ASW Weekend

February 17-18
35%
March 16-17
36%
March 30-31
30%

Total votes: 101

anjmissy

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:00 pm

According to brett, they went up from a size of 133 to 135, so an increase by 2 isnt much, but for them to incease it before the deposit deadline is for sure a not so good look for waitlisters

NJDevilsfan

Postby NJDevilsfan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Deposit sent, looking forward to the fall :)

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:09 pm

anjmissy wrote:According to brett, they went up from a size of 133 to 135, so an increase by 2 isnt much, but for them to incease it before the deposit deadline is for sure a not so good look for waitlisters

135 is a good size though...the small size of the school is one of my favorite things about it

ashley12

Postby ashley12 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:48 am

tennisking88 wrote:
i really dont think the class size is going to be 170+ id be really surprised if it was 150+ at ASW Twitty said the target was around 133 so even if its 10-15% higher than expected that would barely get it to 150...however this all doesnt bode well for people riding the waitlist

+1. Class size is targeted at 133, not 150 like someone mentioned before.

Also, on the "Lexington is a miserably isolated place with no parties that aren't Greek oriented" note, I think anyone who attended the Saturday event at the Feb. ASW can contradict that sentiment. Yes it's small, yes it's not a raging metropolis. However, for a certain kind of student this is a good environment. I do recommend everyone visit, however.

crouton62

Postby crouton62 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 am

ashley12 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
i really dont think the class size is going to be 170+ id be really surprised if it was 150+ at ASW Twitty said the target was around 133 so even if its 10-15% higher than expected that would barely get it to 150...however this all doesnt bode well for people riding the waitlist

+1. Class size is targeted at 133, not 150 like someone mentioned before.

Also, on the "Lexington is a miserably isolated place with no parties that aren't Greek oriented" note, I think anyone who attended the Saturday event at the Feb. ASW can contradict that sentiment. Yes it's small, yes it's not a raging metropolis. However, for a certain kind of student this is a good environment. I do recommend everyone visit, however.

Ashley gettin' it said. Anyone who is serious about W&L needs to see if Lex if for them or not--it is a small town in BFE Virgina, no two ways around that. An amazing little town, though but still. But the law kids have a lot of fun, some of the premier partiers I knew at W&L were law students. There is a good time to be had in Lex. And, there is nothing wrong with going to undergrad fraternity basement parties to hit on undergrads...right?

presh

Postby presh » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:28 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:48 pm

I really, really enjoyed my visit to W&L. The campus is top notch and the class I sat in on was pretty interesting. The law school building is not the same style as the rest of the campus, but it works and I like the separation from the undergrad. Also, I really enjoyed meeting with Mr Twitty. Seems like a great guy and a very knowledgeable of his sports. It would be hard to say no if W&L decided to pull me off the waitlist.

I'll post the pictures my family took soon. The campus is beautiful.

CwallXC322

Postby CwallXC322 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:31 pm

noleknight16 wrote:I really, really enjoyed my visit to W&L. The campus is top notch and the class I sat in on was pretty interesting. The law school building is not the same style as the rest of the campus, but it works and I like the separation from the undergrad. Also, I really enjoyed meeting with Mr Twitty. Seems like a great guy and a very knowledgeable of his sports. It would be hard to say no if W&L decided to pull me off the waitlist.

Although, for me, architecture wasn't a deciding factor when choosing a law school, it would be nice if the building you'll be spending the next 3 years in is at least nice to look at. Why couldn't they make the law school like the rest of campus?

It's all relative though, the undergrad campus is beautiful, which makes you compare the law building to the rest of campus.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:03 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:I really, really enjoyed my visit to W&L. The campus is top notch and the class I sat in on was pretty interesting. The law school building is not the same style as the rest of the campus, but it works and I like the separation from the undergrad. Also, I really enjoyed meeting with Mr Twitty. Seems like a great guy and a very knowledgeable of his sports. It would be hard to say no if W&L decided to pull me off the waitlist.

Although, for me, architecture wasn't a deciding factor when choosing a law school, it would be nice if the building you'll be spending the next 3 years in is at least nice to look at. Why couldn't they make the law school like the rest of campus?

It's all relative though, the undergrad campus is beautiful, which makes you compare the law building to the rest of campus.

I know W&L is raising money for a lot of initiatives for the law school. A new building ("modernized facilities" or something to that effect) is one of them.

How bad is the law school building? I've been trying to find pictures of it, but there don't seem to be many aside from the collonade and reading room areas.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:07 pm

seancris wrote:
CwallXC322 wrote:

I know W&L is raising money for a lot of initiatives for the law school. A new building ("modernized facilities" or something to that effect) is one of them.

How bad is the law school building? I've been trying to find pictures of it, but there don't seem to be many aside from the collonade and reading room areas.

The law building is in excellent shape it only differs because it is a more modern 70's building instead of the hold colonial plantation style that the undergrad campus looks like

CwallXC322

Postby CwallXC322 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:12 pm

seancris wrote:
CwallXC322 wrote:

It's not bad, its just clearly different from the undergrad campus. Inside the building is pretty nice. The new moot court room is nice as well as the library.

wvu

Postby wvu » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:10 am

Moot Court room:
--ImageRemoved--

I have an image of one of the small classrooms but I just realized it pretty clearly shows another admitted student's face so not sure if I should post it?

crouton62

Postby crouton62 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:34 am

Regarding the different look of the law school building as compared to the main undergrad campus, the story I always heard at W&L was that when the university asked different architects to submit plans for the building, a Mrs. Sydney Lewis submitted hers. Mr. Sydney Lewis went the school and told them that he would give a ton of money towards its construction if they picked his wife's design. You know they didn't turn that down. Not saying this story is gospel, but that was what I was always told.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:35 pm

As promised, here are the pictures I took. Didn't take any of the inside of the law school, but it's nice.

CwallXC322

Postby CwallXC322 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:30 pm

noleknight16 wrote:As promised, here are the pictures I took. Didn't take any of the inside of the law school, but it's nice.

Great pictures, looks like you got a beautiful day too.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Are the pennies upside down to show disrespect to Lincoln? Yeesh...

nice pics though. thanks.

presh

Postby presh » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:52 am

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wvu

Postby wvu » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:57 am

TIKITEMBO wrote:Are the pennies upside down to show disrespect to Lincoln? Yeesh...

So Lincoln has to kiss Traveller's ass, apparently.

eta: but mainly for good luck, I feel like it should be said

CwallXC322

Postby CwallXC322 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:13 am

wvuchip wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:Are the pennies upside down to show disrespect to Lincoln? Yeesh...

So Lincoln has to kiss Traveller's ass, apparently.

eta: but mainly for good luck, I feel like it should be said

I just realized, is the cab service operated by W&L named after the horse?

Lulu_O

Postby Lulu_O » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:17 am

I really like W&L and honestly I'm pretty close to putting my deposit down. But I must say that as a minority, I am very disturbed by the confederate flags all over. I know there was a protest about people hanging flags in public spaces and a lot of residents weren't happy they couldn't hang their flags of hatred. It's kind of off putting to be honest.

presh

Postby presh » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:04 am

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:48 am

I am also interested in this since I am an AA, and a lesbian too...triple wammy!..before i deposited that was the only thing that worried me, how it will be to move to such a small southern town with these identities.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:03 pm

To be fair, when I visited I didn't see any confederate flags. The fact remains though that the school is partly named after the leader of those who fought to keep people as property. And he is buried on the campus in honor. I'm pretty positive that the school in no way condones what he did, and is active in seeking out and admitting minority/LGBT applicants. But, I wouldn't be shocked if the dark aura of the Confederate South makes some think twice about attending.

seancris

Postby seancris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:11 pm

tennisking88 wrote:To be fair, when I visited I didn't see any confederate flags. The fact remains though that the school is partly named after the leader of those who fought to keep people as property. And he is buried on the campus in honor. I'm pretty positive that the school in no way condones what he did, and is active in seeking out and admitting minority/LGBT applicants. But, I wouldn't be shocked if the dark aura of the Confederate South makes some think twice about attending.

You guys should read some Lee biographies and civil war history. It may change your perspective and give you an appreciation of the history. Lee himself was actually anti-slavery and called it a "political and moral evil." There's a lot more going on than racism, etc. when it comes to an appreciation of civil war history. I'm not going to have anything to do with that kind of culture if I go to W&L but I don't think it's truly rooted in racism. It's just the community showing an appreciation for the history of their town.

And if that's not good enough for you, the town banned them from displaying their flags or something along those lines, right? If the city council did that, it's probably indicative of more progressive local politics.
Last edited by seancris on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kroakstool

Postby kroakstool » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:18 pm

seancris wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:To be fair, when I visited I didn't see any confederate flags. The fact remains though that the school is partly named after the leader of those who fought to keep people as property. And he is buried on the campus in honor. I'm pretty positive that the school in no way condones what he did, and is active in seeking out and admitting minority/LGBT applicants. But, I wouldn't be shocked if the dark aura of the Confederate South makes some think twice about attending.

You guys should read some Lee biographies and civil war history. It may change your perspective and give you an appreciation of the history. Lee himself was actually anti-slavery and called it a "political and moral evil." There's a lot more going on than racism, etc. when it comes to an appreciation of civil war history.

I really think that's what's going on with the confederate flags, in Lex. It's just the community showing an appreciation for the history of their town. And if that's not good enough for you, the town banned them from displaying their flags or something along those lines, right?

To piggyback on this post, Lee didn't believe he was really fighting for the confederacy. He was fighting for Virginia. I believe he fought for states' rights as opposed to slavery.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”