W&L c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Preferred ASW Weekend

February 17-18
35%
March 16-17
36%
March 30-31
30%

Total votes: 101

srfngdd6

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby srfngdd6 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:35 am

7ate9 wrote:I apologize in advance if these questions have already been asked/answered.

For those that attended either of the Open Houses, which hotel(s) did W&L put people in? I read that the Saturday dinner is still casual, but how casual were most people dressed? For those that arrived early Friday afternoon, did you find plenty to do around Lexington and the campuses? Did many people go out Saturday night after the dinner (from what I've gathered, downtown Lexington is quiet at night)? Are you glad that you went to the Open House?

Thanks.

Signed up late for it so made my own hotel arrangements, stayed at the best western it was fine...most people were dressed pretty casually ie jeans and sweaters the whole weekend...Lexington is pretty small however there is stuff to do...really happy i went to the open house made my decision for me but i would recomend visiting all schools your considering

LBrown

Postby LBrown » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:51 am

7ate9 wrote:I apologize in advance if these questions have already been asked/answered.

For those that attended either of the Open Houses, which hotel(s) did W&L put people in? I read that the Saturday dinner is still casual, but how casual were most people dressed? For those that arrived early Friday afternoon, did you find plenty to do around Lexington and the campuses? Did many people go out Saturday night after the dinner (from what I've gathered, downtown Lexington is quiet at night)? Are you glad that you went to the Open House?

Thanks.

I stayed in the Hampton Inn, which was absolutely gorgeous! I believe some people stay in the Holiday Inn as well.

Attire for Saturday's dinner ranged from jeans to dresses/slacks, so wear what helps you feel the most comfortable. However, I would suggest putting on someting a bit nicer than what you wear during the day.

Saturday after dinner we all headed to the bar and met a few current students, who were fantastic the whole weekend. I am sure people will go out during your ASW program as well, since dinner ends rather early and leaves the night open for socializing.

I am so glad I went to the open house! Unfortunately, it made my decision between two schools even harder because I loved the school, students, and area. They really did a great job of introducing you to the various aspects of the school, town, and program. I think attending the open house will help greatly in your decision about W&L.

Good Luck!

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:30 am

Does anyone know if W&L is known to negotiate scholarships and whether or not a Notre Dame scholly would be any leverage?

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:37 am

mcdeeremitch wrote:Does anyone know if W&L is known to negotiate scholarships and whether or not a Notre Dame scholly would be any leverage?

I've looked thru the forums for the past 3 classes and no one has had luck..at the open house brett said they don't negotiate but after deposits have been made and they know more about how much money they are working with they have been known to up some offers..don't count on it though

SPE155

Postby SPE155 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:55 am

Did anyone that went to the previous open houses have an issue with transportation to and from the airport? Both my flights in and out of Roanoke are fairly early, and I want to make sure I'm not late, especially for my departure flight.

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 pm

SPE155 wrote:Did anyone that went to the previous open houses have an issue with transportation to and from the airport? Both my flights in and out of Roanoke are fairly early, and I want to make sure I'm not late, especially for my departure flight.

I too have an early flight out of ROA on Sunday. I was told that the shuttle has left as early as 0500 before.

wvu

Postby wvu » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Just got my info for next weekend's open house. Anyone else going the 30-31?

For people who have been already, what did you wear for the Saturday dinner? It says something "slightly dressier" than the day, but I was already planning on wearing a button down shirt so I'm not sure where I should go with that. Khakis?

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:09 pm

wvuchip wrote:Just got my info for next weekend's open house. Anyone else going the 30-31?

For people who have been already, what did you wear for the Saturday dinner? It says something "slightly dressier" than the day, but I was already planning on wearing a button down shirt so I'm not sure where I should go with that. Khakis?

I'm going to that Open House too. I was also wondering about that "slightly dressier" - it remains extremely ambiguous. I was thinking khakis with a button down too, but I'm probably going to bring a tie, just in case.

Ant1her0

Postby Ant1her0 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:34 pm

I'll give everyone a brief summary of the weekend so that most/all questions are answered.

I really enjoyed Lexington. It is a small town so obviously your choices are going to be limited. However, there are tons of shops/restaurants/places to chill in the city. Some of these places have open mic nights. The students compensate for the size of the town by spending a lot of time with one another. They usually frequent a bar called Macado's and drinking in general is a big part of the scene (which is fine with me). I think the size of the town also plays a pretty big part in how the students relate to each other and how they interacted with us at the ASD. We bumped into a 2L when a couple of us were just wandering the streets after the dinner and he invited us to a house party. We played beer pong and I think I got back to my hotel at around 3 AM, lol. The sense of community is a very tangible thing, IMO.

You can wear anything reasonable to the dinner. People wore jeans, shorts, dresses, button downs, slacks...basically everything but tank tops. I wouldn't feel obligated to dress nicer for the dinner than for the tours because no one is going to notice or care. Wear jeans if you'd rather not pack dressier stuff just for a dinner.

Shuttle transportation to and from the airport is also not a problem. The shuttles try to group people with similar schedules, but if you have a 5 AM flight and no one else leaves until 7 AM then they have no problems taking you out there solo. I think someone arrived at around 11 PM Friday night and he came in on a shuttle alone.

The food for the ASD lunch and the dinner was quite good (I figured I'd throw that in there).

Also, don't count on negotiating your offer to a higher number. Brett basically said that they lead with what they feel is a competitive offer. He also said he felt he'd be doing a disservice to students who chose to attend on the merits of the original offer...he doesn't want to have to put students in a situation where they realize as 1L's that they could have been awarded much more money if they'd have asked for it. He encouraged us to assume our first offer was our final offer and to not make any decisions based on the assumption that this offer would increase.

wvu

Postby wvu » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:43 pm

I just want to point out that, where I'm from (about 2 hours away from Lexington), Macado's is a crappy little sit-down, lunch or light dinner restaurant, so the idea of it being the "go-to" bar is just a little funny (then again, maybe WVU's bar scene spoiled me).

Thank you for the very nice summary, Ant1her0.

RunninRoo

Postby RunninRoo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:15 am

wvuchip wrote:I just want to point out that, where I'm from (about 2 hours away from Lexington), Macado's is a crappy little sit-down, lunch or light dinner restaurant, so the idea of it being the "go-to" bar is just a little funny (then again, maybe WVU's bar scene spoiled me).

Thank you for the very nice summary, Ant1her0.

Absolutely WVU's bar scene ruined you to Lex. Compared to Morgantown (based on what I've heard) Lexington is like the international space station; only with more cops who are armed more heavily than any small town might need.

hob12

Postby hob12 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:02 pm

It's nice to hear that other people got to hang out with students. The guys who were at my table for the dinner invited us to a house party as well (granted, both of them were drunk during the days events, super classy) but we had a really great time hanging out with the 1L's.
I'm pretty sure by the end of the night every student at Mac's had said hi to us. Nice group of people.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:22 am

Hey guys,

I'm curious for next cycle and I was wondering what kind of an LSAT score I would need to secure one of the 40k/yr scholarships. I have a 4.0 and I'm not a URM.

Would a 167 or so probably do the trick given the 4.0? I retaking and reapplying next year due to a lack of getting scholarships that I expected with my current LSAT score, so I want to make sure that I'm setting standards that will actually result in the kind of scholarships that I need.

josh43299

Postby josh43299 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:38 am

seancris wrote:Hey guys,

I'm curious for next cycle and I was wondering what kind of an LSAT score I would need to secure one of the 40k/yr scholarships. I have a 4.0 and I'm not a URM.

Would a 167 or so probably do the trick given the 4.0? I retaking and reapplying next year due to a lack of getting scholarships that I expected with my current LSAT score, so I want to make sure that I'm setting standards that will actually result in the kind of scholarships that I need.

Based on LSN, you would definitely get that scholarship. 170 or above gets you full scholarships at much better schools than W&L though.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks for the input. If anyone has a reason to believe that 4.0/167 wouldn't cut it, let me know.

Also, I've seen a lot of people report 40k/yr. With tuition being apx. 43k, the fact that it's not a full-tuition offer is pretty conspicuous. Is it really full-tuition and people are just reporting 40k? Or is it actually 40k that leaves you with 3k/yr owed in tuition?

josh43299

Postby josh43299 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:22 am

seancris wrote:Thanks for the input. If anyone has a reason to believe that 4.0/167 wouldn't cut it, let me know.

Also, I've seen a lot of people report 40k/yr. With tuition being apx. 43k, the fact that it's not a full-tuition offer is pretty conspicuous. Is it really full-tuition and people are just reporting 40k? Or is it actually 40k that leaves you with 3k/yr owed in tuition?

:lol: That $1,500 a semester is to keep you humble.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:47 am

josh43299 wrote:
seancris wrote:Thanks for the input. If anyone has a reason to believe that 4.0/167 wouldn't cut it, let me know.

:lol: That $1,500 a semester is to keep you humble.

lol do they really do that? It seems like you should just offer full scholarships to great applicants. If you're going to get a 98% off discount, the two percent that's left feels like you're just getting nickle-and-dimed.

CwallXC322

Postby CwallXC322 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:40 am

If you look at LSN roughly all applicants with 164< and 3.6< have gotten the 120. I think that this cycle has been different than past cycles with scholarship money, so it would be hard to predict their strategy for the next year. A 167 and a 4.0 will get you bottom t-14 for sure.

kroakstool

Postby kroakstool » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:45 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:

If you look at LSN roughly all applicants with 164< and 3.6< have gotten the 120. I think that this cycle has been different than past cycles with scholarship money, so it would be hard to predict their strategy for the next year. A 167 and a 4.0 will get you bottom t-14 for sure.

I'm sitting on a 167 and 3.62. I only got 75k. So I think they may be changing their scholarship practices if in the past it would have gotten me 120k

CwallXC322

Postby CwallXC322 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:58 pm

kroakstool wrote:
CwallXC322 wrote:

I'm sitting on a 167 and 3.62. I only got 75k. So I think they may be changing their scholarship practices if in the past it would have gotten me 120k

I think you're the exception rather than the rule. But like I said, those are rough estimates based off of LSN. I am a bit surprised they didn't give you the 120 though.

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:05 pm

Plus, you have to think about timing. I don't know if I saw anyone (unless I missed someone) get the $120K after the 1/12 acceptances...

kroakstool

Postby kroakstool » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:33 pm

jaysgirl42671 wrote:Plus, you have to think about timing. I don't know if I saw anyone (unless I missed someone) get the $120K after the 1/12 acceptances...

Ya that's probably it. I was just surprised to not receive the 120 with my numbers plus being in the military. I thought I be right up W&L's wheelhouse. The extra money is the only thing keepin me from Lexington next year. UGA's in-state tuition is just hard to compete with.

srrrrh

Postby srrrrh » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:34 pm

^^ i got in 1/19 i believe with $120k

dlpelletier

Postby dlpelletier » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:44 pm

kroakstool wrote:
jaysgirl42671 wrote:Plus, you have to think about timing. I don't know if I saw anyone (unless I missed someone) get the $120K after the 1/12 acceptances...

Ya that's probably it. I was just surprised to not receive the 120 with my numbers plus being in the military. I thought I be right up W&L's wheelhouse. The extra money is the only thing keepin me from Lexington next year. UGA's in-state tuition is just hard to compete with.

Can you use the Yellow Ribbon Program to cover the difference? I believe a few of my classmates are currently using that. (Current 1L)

http://www.wlu.edu/x33145.xml

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:00 pm

I'll be taking the October exam, and I'll probably send in the application before Nov. 1st. Will that be "late" for scholarships?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”