W&L c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Preferred ASW Weekend

February 17-18
35%
March 16-17
36%
March 30-31
30%

Total votes: 101

Comoncents

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:26 pm

jerichosm wrote:
Comoncents wrote:
jerichosm wrote:
tallgaloot wrote:Ok- I'm a little late to the party here. W&L was not one of my top picks, I applied on a whim because it was a free application. But, I've been denied to most of my top choices at the moment and am trying to decide where to go. A few things to consider:
I'm specifically looking toward public interest law, at helping children and families in poverty as a child/poverty advocate. Whether this happens at a nonprofit, a government agency, or somewhere else has yet to be seen. I have no desire for "Big Law." Keep these things in mind:
1. I want to go to the BEST school possible.
2. Since making money is not my biggest concern, a school with a good LRAP would be a good fit.
3. If possible, I'd like to stay close to the east coast (NJ) as I have an ill mother. Would probably prefer to practice somewhere in the northeast -> Washington DC area.
4. I want the school with the best track record/program in public interest.
5. I wouldn't mind a judicial clerkship after graduation.
6. I want to work hard and have a job soon after graduating.

At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards Notre Dame, as they seem to have a better public interest law program. CONVINCE ME I'M WRONG!

As far as tuition/scholarship, it's about the same, both have offered me around a 1/2 ride.

W&L's third year program has a clinic where you represent widows of coal miners in black lung cases (real people, not simulations)

What is your opinion of the new third year? I have heard all bad, but it could be biased. The lawyers I have spoken with do not like it but it is only a few people.

What do you guys think?

I'm a 0L that is currently at asw, and I have heard from the faculty that the 3L program is very well received by employers so far (in fact a lot of the practicums appear to be taught by practicing attorneys from richmond and throughout the state)...regardless of its perception, however, it sounds phenomenal and it may just be what drives me to lexington.

Does it depend on what you do in the future?
The difference I see with other 3rd year programs is a lot of simulation versus actual practice (in order to help pick something you will definitely be comfortable with instead of waisting time).
What do you think?

tallgaloot

Postby tallgaloot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:31 pm

onel14 wrote:1L at W&L.

First, to the person who seems to think that an online forum will be the answer to all of your law school decisions, grow up and think for yourself. No 0L on a law school forum is going to give you any meaningful feedback.

Second, if you are so distraught over this decision, maybe you should attend an ASW and think for yourself/meet actual students. That will elicit much more help than some lousy online forum.

Sigh...
I don't understand the animosity directed at someone who is asking the opinions of current students in law school. I am scheduled to attend the ASW later this month and will be visiting Notre Dame in early April. I am merely weighing my options and taking advantage of the intricate knowledge and diverse opinons that current and prospective students can offer.

jerichosm

Postby jerichosm » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Comoncents wrote:Ok- I'm a little late to the party here. W&L was not one of my top picks, I applied on a whim because it was a free application. But, I've been denied to most of my top choices at the moment and am trying to decide where to go. A few things to consider:
I'm specifically looking toward public interest law, at helping children and families in poverty as a child/poverty advocate. Whether this happens at a nonprofit, a government agency, or somewhere else has yet to be seen. I have no desire for "Big Law." Keep these things in mind:
2. Since making money is not my biggest concern, a school with a good LRAP would be a good fit.
3. If possible, I'd like to stay close to the east coast (NJ) as I have an ill mother. Would probably prefer to practice somewhere in the northeast -> Washington DC area.

At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards Notre Dame, as they seem to have a better public interest law program. CONVINCE ME I'M WRONG!

As far as tuition/scholarship, it's about the same, both have offered me around a 1/2 ride.

W&L's third year program has a clinic where you represent widows of coal miners in black lung cases (real people, not simula

What is your opinion of the new third year? I have heard all bad, but it could be biased. The lawyers I have spoken with do not like it but it is only a few people.

What do you guys think?[/quote]

I'm a 0L that is currently at asw, and I have heard from the faculty that the 3L program is very well received by employers so far (in fact a lot of the practicums appear to be taught by practicing attorneys from richmond and throughout the state)...regardless of its perception, however, it sounds phenomenal and it may just be what drives me to lexington.[/quote]

The difference I see with other 3rd year programs is a lot of simulation versus
actual practice (in order to help pick something you will definitely be comfortable with instead of waisting time).
What do you think?[/quote]

It seems as if other third year programs are expansions of first and second year, where as the 3L here is deisgned to "transition" a person into a career. Also, the faculty said it has helped students realize their acgtual goals and maybe choose a different career path based upon their experiences...typed on a phone...sotrry for spelling errors

Ps. If that's really a w&l student posting, ignore them. They are the exception, not the rule. Everyone has been unbelievably friendly here

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:48 pm

jerichosm wrote:
Comoncents wrote:Ok- I'm a little late to the party here. W&L was not one of my top picks, I applied on a whim because it was a free application. But, I've been denied to most of my top choices at the moment and am trying to decide where to go. A few things to consider:

W&L's third year program has a clinic where you represent widows of coal miners in black lung cases (real people, not simula

What do you guys think?

I'm a 0L that is currently at asw, and I have heard from the faculty that the 3L program is very well received by employers so far (in fact a lot of the practicums appear to be taught by practicing attorneys from richmond and throughout the state)...regardless of its perception, however, it sounds phenomenal and it may just be what drives me to lexington.[/quote]

The difference I see with other 3rd year programs is a lot of simulation versus
actual practice (in order to help pick something you will definitely be comfortable with instead of waisting time).
What do you think?[/quote]

It seems as if other third year programs are expansions of first and second year, where as the 3L here is deisgned to "transition" a person into a career. Also, the faculty said it has helped students realize their acgtual goals and maybe choose a different career path based upon their experiences...typed on a phone...sotrry for spelling errors

Ps. If that's really a w&l student posting, ignore them. They are the exception, not the rule. Everyone has been unbelievably friendly here[/quote]

Awesome, thanks.
Sounds great.

kroakstool

Postby kroakstool » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Everything about this weekend has been great. I would love to be in Lexington next year if finances work out. Got to sit down to dinner with a 3L and his wife. Great information. Looks like W&L has some decent national reach if thas what you're looking for. There's also a great group for couple and families that are going through law school together. The 3L program sounds amazing and this weekend has been nothing but great.

Comoncents

Postby Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:50 pm

kroakstool wrote:Everything about this weekend has been great. I would love to be in Lexington next year if finances work out. Got to sit down to dinner with a 3L and his wife. Great information. Looks like W&L has some decent national reach if thas what you're looking for. There's also a great group for couple and families that are going through law school together. The 3L program sounds amazing and this weekend has been nothing but great.

The finances stopped me from making it my choice.
Completely understand.

George&Bob14

Postby George&Bob14 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:54 am

I realize this post has little or no substance regarding the questions posed on the forum. However, I would like to personally apologize for the attitude exemplified by "onel14" in their previous post. For those of you who were in town this weekend, I'm sure has become relatively clear that we are a humble bunch and completely support, even encourage, community discussion about choosing a law school. I know I used Top Law Schools as a key resource for my law school decision, and it's great that you are too. These days, I don't spend a whole lot of time on this forum, but I will be checking back from time. Long story short, keep the discussion flowing guys. This is a huge decision, and it shouldn't be made without the sanctity of having all of your questions answered.

tallgaloot

Postby tallgaloot » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 pm

George&Bob14 wrote:I realize this post has little or no substance regarding the questions posed on the forum. However, I would like to personally apologize for the attitude exemplified by "onel14" in their previous post. For those of you who were in town this weekend, I'm sure has become relatively clear that we are a humble bunch and completely support, even encourage, community discussion about choosing a law school. I know I used Top Law Schools as a key resource for my law school decision, and it's great that you are too. These days, I don't spend a whole lot of time on this forum, but I will be checking back from time. Long story short, keep the discussion flowing guys. This is a huge decision, and it shouldn't be made without the sanctity of having all of your questions answered.

I appreciate that. Let me try this a different way. Current students or prospectives who have investigated/visited- How is W&L's public interest program and job placement/judicial clerkships, compared to other schools (such as Notre Dame)?

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:27 pm

just got my financial aid package in the mail, also my asw reimbursement check..yayy

also cost of attendance is up to $64,945 for the 2012-2013 year

SPE155

Postby SPE155 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:46 pm

anjmissy wrote:just got my financial aid package in the mail, also my asw reimbursement check..yayy

What did tuition for 2012-2013 go up to?

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:51 pm

SPE155 wrote:
anjmissy wrote:just got my financial aid package in the mail, also my asw reimbursement check..yayy

What did tuition for 2012-2013 go up to?

it doesn't say..it just has a break down of the aid including my 15,500k scholarship, unsubsidized stafford loan, and lastly grad plus loan...for a total of 64,945..i doubt cost of living went up so the change is probably all tuition, so i would assume tuition is up by nearly 3k..at my aws I asked brett how much it would go up and at that point he was unsure but he said that tuition would probably go up around 5% and i think that's roughly 2k-3k

hope that helps

also does anyone know if submitting my deposit to this school will stop my acceptances from other schools?..im still waiting to hear from 3 and even though i wont be attending them, it would still be comforting to know that i at least got in.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Does any one know if W&L's stips are negotiable? They seem to offer great scholarships but the 3.25 stip is one of the highest I've heard of.

And does anyone know what the chances are roughly of maintaining a 3.25 at W&L?

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:08 pm

seancris wrote:Does any one know if W&L's stips are negotiable? They seem to offer great scholarships but the 3.25 stip is one of the highest I've heard of.

And does anyone know what the chances are roughly of maintaining a 3.25 at W&L?

i think its around top 65% or so theres a breakdown on their website

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Well according to their website, since 09 there have been 315 students in attendance with some form of scholarship. Of these, only 18 had theirs reduced at some point and only 1 had theirs revoked entirely and even that wasn't until after the 2nd year. I'd say it's not as hard as it may seem, but yeah I'd love a guarantee of course.

Here's the link: http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/page.asp?pageid=1286

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:13 pm

[quote=website]It is exceedingly rare for a student to have his scholarship revoked. We consider this a drastic action and only to be undertaken in the event a student is not attending class, is not making an effort in his studies or has repeatedly violated the University's conduct policy. For the 315 students in the Law Classes 2009-12 receiving scholarship awards, only 1 had his/her scholarship revoked entirely. No student has had his award revoked after his first year.[/quote]

My understanding was that the scholarship was revoked if the student did not meet a 3.25 GPA req. The website also says that the GPA stip is 3.15, not 3.25.

Can anyone post exactly what their stips were on their scholarship letter?

flyingduck

Postby flyingduck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Just withdrew. There should be an open seat and a substantial scholarship on its way to someone else, shortly.

CwallXC322

Postby CwallXC322 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:28 pm

seancris wrote:[quote=website]It is exceedingly rare for a student to have his scholarship revoked. We consider this a drastic action and only to be undertaken in the event a student is not attending class, is not making an effort in his studies or has repeatedly violated the University's conduct policy. For the 315 students in the Law Classes 2009-12 receiving scholarship awards, only 1 had his/her scholarship revoked entirely. No student has had his award revoked after his first year.

My understanding was that the scholarship was revoked if the student did not meet a 3.25 GPA req. The website also says that the GPA stip is 3.15, not 3.25.

Can anyone post exactly what their stips were on their scholarship letter?[/quote]

I had a 3.25 stip on my scholarship. I think the larger the scholarship the higher the stipulation.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:45 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:I had a 3.25 stip on my scholarship. I think the larger the scholarship the higher the stipulation.

Did you try to negotiate the stips? 3.25 just seems like a risk IMO. I'm always wary of what schools say about their stips. There's no way for us to verify that info. W&L provides some evidence that suggests that their stips are very reasonable, but why not just say "good standing" like T14s do? Even Emory which is tied in the rankings with W&L has a good standing stip.

Has anyone heard of any section-stacking that occurs at W&L?

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:02 pm

2012-2013 Tuition & Fees now up: http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/page.asp? ... penpanel=1

(3.75% increase in tuition over 2011-2012)

Tuition

$42,425 (JD)
$46,665 (LLM)

Fees

$387

Mandatory Technology Fee

$300

Health Fee

$250

Mandatory Student Bar Association Fees

$190

Projected Books/Supplies

$2,425

Projected Living Expenses (on or off campus)

$16,613

Loan Fees

$1,100

Total

$63,690 (JD)

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:08 pm

3.75% is better than the little over 5% that was projected on my award letter

CwallXC322

Postby CwallXC322 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:09 pm

seancris wrote:
CwallXC322 wrote:I had a 3.25 stip on my scholarship. I think the larger the scholarship the higher the stipulation.

Did you try to negotiate the stips? 3.25 just seems like a risk IMO. I'm always wary of what schools say about their stips. There's no way for us to verify that info. W&L provides some evidence that suggests that their stips are very reasonable, but why not just say "good standing" like T14s do? Even Emory which is tied in the rankings with W&L has a good standing stip.

I have not tried to negotiate. 3.25 does seem very high though without perspective. I'm going to visit on the 30th, so I'm going to talk and see if there is any wiggle room to a 3.15.

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:36 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:
seancris wrote:

I have not tried to negotiate. 3.25 does seem very high though without perspective. I'm going to visit on the 30th, so I'm going to talk and see if there is any wiggle room to a 3.15.

i have the 3.25 and was told there was no wiggle room on the stip

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:43 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:i have the 3.25 and was told there was no wiggle room on the stip

What happens if you don't meet the 3.25? The website suggests a scholarship reduction rather than an outright loss of scholarship.

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:50 pm

seancris wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:i have the 3.25 and was told there was no wiggle room on the stip

What happens if you don't meet the 3.25? The website suggests a scholarship reduction rather than an outright loss of scholarship.

yeah i was re assured by what i heard from them last weekend only one person has ever fully lost their scholarship recently

i had a really awesome time last weekend at the asw and was on the fence between three schools before visiting all of them and am almost 100% heading to Lexington in the fall...if youre on the fence about some schools the best thing you can do is visit all of them

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:49 am

I apologize in advance if these questions have already been asked/answered.

For those that attended either of the Open Houses, which hotel(s) did W&L put people in? I read that the Saturday dinner is still casual, but how casual were most people dressed? For those that arrived early Friday afternoon, did you find plenty to do around Lexington and the campuses? Did many people go out Saturday night after the dinner (from what I've gathered, downtown Lexington is quiet at night)? Are you glad that you went to the Open House?

Thanks.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”