W&L c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Preferred ASW Weekend

February 17-18
35%
March 16-17
36%
March 30-31
30%

Total votes: 101

wl1l

New

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Post by wl1l » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:42 pm

hadisious wrote:
skolks wrote:
anjmissy wrote:Yeah it was great..the ice cream in macado's is worth trying, but def not the food in tuscany, the formal dinner and the lunch on campus was helpful because at each table 2 current students were there to answer questions, what I noticed was everyone speaking so highly of the 3L program..and even the 1Ls love how small the sections are so they can get the attention they need from the professors..also a questioned was asked in my roundtable group if the new dean will keep the 3L program and the professors said that's one of the main reasons she came on board is because she loves the program, so its not going anywhere..it was just an overall good vibe from the staff and students
About how small are the sections? Just curious, because I know other schools split up into sections, but they're way larger classes to begin with. Thanks!
IIRC, all 1Ls have a section class of 20 students in their first two semesters (not the same group all year, but a different mix of twenty each semester).
Correct. Each semester you have your "small section" consisting of about 20 students. It's a substantive class (i.e., Contracts, Torts, Property) paired with a Legal Writing class that meets separately, but with the same prof and group of students. We don't have traditional sections here like at other law schools (i.e., you are Section A and you have the same 75-100 people in all of your 5 classes). Your small section/legal writing will be the same group, and then your other three courses will have more of a cross-section of the class. Then it all shuffles the next semester. I actually prefer it, because it allows you to really get to know all of your classmates, whereas more rigid sections would seem to limit your interactions with other students.

CwallXC322

Bronze

Post by CwallXC322 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Any other reviews/pics/comments about the school or the weekend in general? What'd everyone think of potential housing off campus?

They say on the website that projected living costs will be 16k? Is that an accurate figure?

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:40 pm

I'd love to see more pictures. I won't be coming to Lexington until March or so.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Last edited by goldeneye on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 pm

also i attended the fin aid presentation and Brett said they are estimating an increase in cost of attendance by 5% I believe for next year, please correct me if I'm wrong

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 pm

Last edited by goldeneye on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

hadisious

Bronze

Post by hadisious » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:23 pm

goldeneye wrote:Does anyone have an idea if W&L has been known to negotiate at all?
+1

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:38 pm

goldeneye wrote:Does anyone have an idea if W&L has been known to negotiate at all?
i was wondering this as well, but what you may want to look at is wake's accepted/deny forum because the dean of that school posted a brief novel about how to go about asking for more money

heres the link
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p5171980

i know this is wake but see how they don't differ greatly as far as size and rank i thought it could contribute to this discussion

BKCentral

Bronze

Post by BKCentral » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:50 pm

I spoke to a couple current students about this; both said they aren't known to negotiate. They said it's always worth trying, but that they didn't really know anyone who had successfully done so (granted this is only 2 students' accounts).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ColumbiaOrBust

New

Post by ColumbiaOrBust » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:09 pm

They do not. I can speak from personal experience.

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:11 pm

ColumbiaOrBust wrote:
They do not. I can speak from personal experience.
+1. Doesn't happen.

ETA: But it won't kill you to ask, I suppose. At the very least you'll get to chat with Brett. Silver lining.

BKCentral

Bronze

Post by BKCentral » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Well shit. I absolutely loved the place and had almost made it my new #1, but it's hard to overlook the 8K difference a year from a school ranked pretty much exactly the same.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:20 pm

BKCentral wrote:Well shit. I absolutely loved the place and had almost made it my new #1, but it's hard to overlook the 8K difference a year from a school ranked pretty much exactly the same.
Like said above, it will never kill you to ask. Brett's not going to say, "Well because you are such a self-important douchebag for asking.... I think I'm going to take away what you have already received...." Although it would be REALLY funny to hear BT use the word "douchebag"

I still wish he had come to Jazzy nights.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:24 pm

My pictures are all terrible, but I guess it's better to see terrible than nothing. Here's a few

Edit... holy crap huge. I'll edit

BKCentral

Bronze

Post by BKCentral » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:25 pm

T00L wrote:
BKCentral wrote:Well shit. I absolutely loved the place and had almost made it my new #1, but it's hard to overlook the 8K difference a year from a school ranked pretty much exactly the same.
Like said above, it will never kill you to ask. Brett's not going to say, "Well because you are such a self-important douchebag for asking.... I think I'm going to take away what you have already received...." Although it would be REALLY funny to hear BT use the word "douchebag"

I think I would cry if Brett ever seemed disappointed in me. But yeah, I'm still going to try because it is so important and might just be a make or break for me.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:26 pm

BKCentral wrote:
T00L wrote:

I think I would cry if Brett ever seemed disappointed in me. But yeah, I'm still going to try because it is so important and might just be a make or break for me.
tell them that too

jerichosm

Bronze

Post by jerichosm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:27 pm

T00L wrote:
BKCentral wrote:
T00L wrote:

tell them that too

Yeah the tears part might help lol -- "Brett, you're like a big brother to me..."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kroakstool

Bronze

Post by kroakstool » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:27 pm

I talked to Director Twitty today. I explained my situation (I have to make a deposit by April 1 to accept a scholarship to one of my schools). He let me know that they make what they believe is a competitive offer and may increase it but right now it is really early in the process and they have a lot of money out on the table and they don't know who all will accept and if there is a possibility they will have more money to allocate. He was very nice and understanding of my situation. He said later on in the process he might have more info and would let me know. He told me to keep in touch and let them know how the process is going for me. He sounded sincere when he said things might change later on down the road. Hope this helps

BKCentral

Bronze

Post by BKCentral » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:31 pm

kroakstool wrote:
I talked to Director Twitty today. I explained my situation (I have to make a deposit by April 1 to accept a scholarship to one of my schools). He let me know that they make what they believe is a competitive offer and may increase it but right now it is really early in the process and they have a lot of money out on the table and they don't know who all will accept and if there is a possibility they will have more money to allocate. He was very nice and understanding of my situation. He said later on in the process he might have more info and would let me know. He told me to keep in touch and let them know how the process is going for me. He sounded sincere when he said things might change later on down the road. Hope this helps
Ok thanks for the info. Question- did you call? I thought it was normal to e-mail for scholly negotiations with the other school's award attached. It is better to call to make it more personal?

kroakstool

Bronze

Post by kroakstool » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 pm

BKCentral wrote:
kroakstool wrote:
Ok thanks for the info. Question- did you call? I thought it was normal to e-mail for scholly negotiations with the other school's award attached. It is better to call to make it more personal?
I sent him an email and he asked me to call him today. I didn't attach the scholly award letters. I figured if they really wanted them, they would ask.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm ready to send a LOCI. I saw on the W&L website that they like PDF files when updating an application. Should I scan as a .pdf and e-mail it instead of mailing?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beezy08

Bronze

Post by beezy08 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:49 pm

kroakstool wrote:
BKCentral wrote:
kroakstool wrote:
I sent him an email and he asked me to call him today. I didn't attach the scholly award letters. I figured if they really wanted them, they would ask.
I need to call Brett Twitty and discuss these things. Did you get any type of vibe that at this school leverage isn't as important as is a genuine interest in the school and a delicate financial situation? W&L seems like that type of place to me so I was thinking about going about it in that fashion (and cuz my leverage is only mediocre-same scholly at a school ranked slightly below but that scholly is a larger proportion of tuition). They honestly just seem more personal than most schools.
Last edited by beezy08 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jerichosm

Bronze

Post by jerichosm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:50 pm

noleknight16 wrote:I'm ready to send a LOCI. I saw on the W&L website that they like PDF files when updating an application. Should I scan as a .pdf and e-mail it instead of mailing?
W&L seems pretty tech-savvy -- personally, I'd send them the email with the PDF attached and offer to mail it to them if they would prefer

kroakstool

Bronze

Post by kroakstool » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:59 pm

beezy08 wrote: I need to call Brett Twitty and discuss these things. Did you get any type of vibe that at this school leverage isn't as important as is a genuine interest in the school and a delicate financial situation? W&L seems like that type of place to me so I was thinking about going about it in that fashion (and cuz my leverage is only mediocre-same scholly at a school ranked slightly below but that scholly is a larger proportion of tuition). They honestly just seem more personal than most schools.
I got the vibe that he understood how the law school admissions process feels for students and that finances plays a big role. He seemed to like that I was so interested in the school and wanted me to come to admitted student weekend with my fiancee. I understand that they have a lot of offers out and that they can't promise too much to too many people. He seemed sincere and just really nice. That's the vibe I got.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:01 pm

kroakstool wrote:
beezy08 wrote: I need to call Brett Twitty and discuss these things. Did you get any type of vibe that at this school leverage isn't as important as is a genuine interest in the school and a delicate financial situation? W&L seems like that type of place to me so I was thinking about going about it in that fashion (and cuz my leverage is only mediocre-same scholly at a school ranked slightly below but that scholly is a larger proportion of tuition). They honestly just seem more personal than most schools.
I got the vibe that he understood how the law school admissions process feels for students and that finances plays a big role. He seemed to like that I was so interested in the school and wanted me to come to admitted student weekend with my fiancee. I understand that they have a lot of offers out and that they can't promise too much to too many people. He seemed sincere and just really nice. That's the vibe I got.
Their yield is like 10%. That must be having a HUGE impact on their ranking

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”