W&L c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Preferred ASW Weekend

February 17-18
35%
March 16-17
36%
March 30-31
30%

Total votes: 101

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Post by mcdeeremitch » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Nammertat wrote:
game6 wrote:
jaysgirl42671 wrote:
Nammertat wrote:I'm VERY glad I went to ASW as well... prior to last weekend I was 90% sure I'd be attending W&L, and now I'm fairly sure I'll withdraw. After visiting William & Mary and GW, I was shocked at how poor all of the professors were at W&L. The mock torts class was very unimpressive, as was the school itself. It's very tough to consider a school where the professors were well below expectations, the campus was very dull (Law campus, not undergrad), and the town is TINY and nowhere near civilization.
The building may not be awe-inspiring, but every interaction I had with the professors showed how engaging/friendly/intelligent they are, so I'm not sure who you interacted with.
You sure we're talking about the same W&L?
I think I was just spoiled @ the other places I visited, but was definitely left with a bad taste for W&L.
yeah i got a completely different experience as well....I do think the mock class was a bit watered down becasue we were a bit rushed for time and it was som many people...but did u talk to profs one on one or just during thebrekout sessions??

CwallXC322

Bronze

Post by CwallXC322 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:04 pm

Nammertat wrote:I'm VERY glad I went to ASW as well... prior to last weekend I was 90% sure I'd be attending W&L, and now I'm fairly sure I'll withdraw. After visiting William & Mary and GW, I was shocked at how poor all of the professors were at W&L. The mock torts class was very unimpressive, as was the school itself. It's very tough to consider a school where the professors were well below expectations, the campus was very dull (Law campus, not undergrad), and the town is TINY and nowhere near civilization.
I had a completely different experience, but that is why it is so important to visit schools before you attend. That said, Lexington is not for everyone. It is small and isolated, but the solace for that fact is the tight knit community around the law school. But of course, different strokes for different folks.

I was very impressed by ASW this weekend and I'll be sending in my deposit this week. Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:45 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:
I had a completely different experience, but that is why it is so important to visit schools before you attend. That said, Lexington is not for everyone. It is small and isolated, but the solace for that fact is the tight knit community around the law school. But of course, different strokes for different folks.

I was very impressed by ASW this weekend and I'll be sending in my deposit this week. Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall.
:) At least you've got a sweet West Wing avatar pic!

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Driving 10 hours to Lexington tomorrow. Excited to see it!!!!

mh2015

New

Post by mh2015 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:41 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Driving 10 hours to Lexington tomorrow. Excited to see it!!!!
Heading to Lexington tomorrow as well. Maybe I'll see you there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:52 pm

Is there another ASW or organized event coming up? Either way, be sure to let us know what you think!

mh2015

New

Post by mh2015 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:29 am

seancris wrote:Is there another ASW or organized event coming up? Either way, be sure to let us know what you think!
No, I don't think there are any more ASW's. I am just going to look at the school again before needing to make decisions at other places.
I have actually already visited W&L, but I can't make up my mind between it and a few other places.

The school itself (though perhaps not the building... but that doesn't really matter) is amazing. Like, I feel pretty confident that it will give me the best possible education and make me into an amazing lawyer. The professors are great, and I loved talking to them before. They really care. And since it is a small school, it seems like I'd get a lot of personal attention, which I like a lot. Overall, the school itself is phenomenal.

The downside for me is the town. Lexington is charming, but it is tiny. Only a few thousand people live in that town, with a very Greek-oriented undergrad being a big presence. I don't know if I could actually live there. When I asked students where they go grocery shopping, they said Wal-mart. When asked where the nearest "big city" with "decent shopping" is, they said that Roanoke is an hour away. If you aren't familiar with Roanoke, you're not missing anything. There's really nothing there, which makes that response rather disconcerting. I'm not from a tiny town, which is why this is a major problem for me, and I don't know how well I would adjust, but some students don't seem to mind.

If you haven't visited W&L, I definitely recommend you do. Most people I know fell in love with the school when they looked at it, but were concerned at how small the town is. It's the type of thing that you would need to gauge for yourself.

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:52 am

mh2015 wrote:When I asked students where they go grocery shopping, they said Wal-mart.
To be fair, there is a Kroger, which is infinitely better.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:16 am

Went through some of last year's thread last night. I noticed that there were a lot of dings and WLs for people with numbers that would probably have been admitted this year. I mean in this thread I've seen people getting in with 160/3.4s and in the thread last year, people were waitlisted at 3.5/165.

Does it seem to anyone else that admissions standards were lower this year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:24 am

Anyone else worried the class size will be huge this year (compared to usual 125-130 or so)? The FB group (https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gr ... 531462751/) already has 89 confimed members, and LSN shows 13 committed (as opposed to 3 last year..)

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:31 am

tennisking88 wrote:Anyone else worried the class size will be huge this year (compared to usual 125-130 or so)? The FB group (https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gr ... 531462751/) already has 89 confimed members, and LSN shows 13 committed (as opposed to 3 last year..)
That'd be pretty brutal if it came out significantly larger, because they only have 2 sections of 1L courses!

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:34 am

seancris wrote:Went through some of last year's thread last night. I noticed that there were a lot of dings and WLs for people with numbers that would probably have been admitted this year. I mean in this thread I've seen people getting in with 160/3.4s and in the thread last year, people were waitlisted at 3.5/165.

Does it seem to anyone else that admissions standards were lower this year?
I don't think the standards are lower but I do believe w&l is one of the few schools that also consider other things other than numbers, such as experience, probability of doing well..also you have to consider when people apply

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:43 am

tennisking88 wrote:Anyone else worried the class size will be huge this year (compared to usual 125-130 or so)? The FB group (https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gr ... 531462751/) already has 89 confimed members, and LSN shows 13 committed (as opposed to 3 last year..)
I was thinking this as well..a lot of those students join before depositing though so they may leave, also a couple of them are current students..I think 5 or so

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CwallXC322

Bronze

Post by CwallXC322 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:59 am

Yeah I think the target for this class was changed to 150, but I keep thinking that the number is going to be around 170 for some reason. Just looking at past years LSN and TLS, it seems like a lot more people are heading to W&L then previous years. I think in part because of large scholarships.

Edit: Even GW, who has a much larger class size than W&L has only 4 people committed compared to the 13 on LSN.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Clicking through the confirmed FB group, some of the members are current students. A few of them says c/o 2014 on their FB pages.

On W&L's app is there a "why W&L" optional essay?

lightsandbuzz

New

Post by lightsandbuzz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Nammertat wrote:
That'd be pretty brutal if it came out significantly larger, because they only have 2 sections of 1L courses!
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "they only have 2 sections of 1L courses." There are actually several sections of each 1L course, depending on how many small sections are taught of each topic.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:18 pm

lightsandbuzz wrote:
Nammertat wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "they only have 2 sections of 1L courses." There are actually several sections of each 1L course, depending on how many small sections are taught of each topic.
Twitty said during ASW that at least a few of the 1l courses are done in two sections, usually 60-70 people. If they end up taking 170+, class sizes will skyrocket.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:19 pm

seancris wrote:On W&L's app is there a "why W&L" optional essay?
No, there is just an optional 500-word essay on an "ethical dilemma" you've faced.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:25 pm

wvuchip wrote:
No, there is just an optional 500-word essay on an "ethical dilemma" you've faced.
Er... that sounds pretty challenging. You don't want to underwhelm them with something trivial but you don't want to present anything too substantial either.

Tips?

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:28 pm

seancris wrote:
wvuchip wrote:
Er... that sounds pretty challenging. You don't want to underwhelm them with something trivial but you don't want to present anything too substantial either.

Tips?
I think it's meant to show how well you mesh with the Honor System at W&L. I didn't write it so I can't give any specific tips.

RunninRoo

New

Post by RunninRoo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:45 pm

mh2015 wrote:
seancris wrote:Is there another ASW or organized event coming up? Either way, be sure to let us know what you think!
No, I don't think there are any more ASW's. I am just going to look at the school again before needing to make decisions at other places.
I have actually already visited W&L, but I can't make up my mind between it and a few other places.

The school itself (though perhaps not the building... but that doesn't really matter) is amazing. Like, I feel pretty confident that it will give me the best possible education and make me into an amazing lawyer. The professors are great, and I loved talking to them before. They really care. And since it is a small school, it seems like I'd get a lot of personal attention, which I like a lot. Overall, the school itself is phenomenal.

The downside for me is the town. Lexington is charming, but it is tiny. Only a few thousand people live in that town, with a very Greek-oriented undergrad being a big presence. I don't know if I could actually live there. When I asked students where they go grocery shopping, they said Wal-mart. When asked where the nearest "big city" with "decent shopping" is, they said that Roanoke is an hour away. If you aren't familiar with Roanoke, you're not missing anything. There's really nothing there, which makes that response rather disconcerting. I'm not from a tiny town, which is why this is a major problem for me, and I don't know how well I would adjust, but some students don't seem to mind.

If you haven't visited W&L, I definitely recommend you do. Most people I know fell in love with the school when they looked at it, but were concerned at how small the town is. It's the type of thing that you would need to gauge for yourself.
While Roanoke tends to be the big city mentioned in SW VA, you're only 45 minutes from Harrisonburg too, and that's not a bad place to get away to for a day, or even a weekend.. Pretty happening scene (bars dt are nice, even if it is small), and always tons of parties cause of JMU.. something to consider as well

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm at jmu now, the parties here are so so, if you're into that type of thing..I def wouldn't drive 45 mins for a party at jmu
RunninRoo wrote:
mh2015 wrote:

While Roanoke tends to be the big city mentioned in SW VA, you're only 45 minutes from Harrisonburg too, and that's not a bad place to get away to for a day, or even a weekend.. Pretty happening scene (bars dt are nice, even if it is small), and always tons of parties cause of JMU.. something to consider as well

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Nammertat wrote:
lightsandbuzz wrote:
Nammertat wrote:
Twitty said during ASW that at least a few of the 1l courses are done in two sections, usually 60-70 people. If they end up taking 170+, class sizes will skyrocket.
i really dont think the class size is going to be 170+ id be really surprised if it was 150+ at ASW Twitty said the target was around 133 so even if its 10-15% higher than expected that would barely get it to 150...however this all doesnt bode well for people riding the waitlist

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 pm

It sure doesn't look good for waitlist people, but I asked the question on the fb group and I'm waiting for a reply now

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:44 pm

anjmissy wrote:It sure doesn't look good for waitlist people, but I asked the question on the fb group and I'm waiting for a reply now
I saw that, wondered if it was someone on here. :lol:

I agree, I think the class size will be normal but composed a lot more of the first admits accepting due to large scholarships and not leaving much room for waitlists.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”