W&L c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Preferred ASW Weekend

February 17-18
35%
March 16-17
36%
March 30-31
30%

Total votes: 101

aeiouy

New

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Post by aeiouy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:02 pm

jaysgirl42671 wrote:
aeiouy wrote:Anyone else getting there in the early afternoon on Friday to go see what the town is like and possibly stuff their face with delicious food?
Me!! I'm actually flying out of St Pete, Fl. at the crack of dawn tomorrow but will be staying in Roanoke to see family. I'm leaning towards the Blue Sky for lunch and the Bistro on Main (which I adore) for dinner. :lol: No, who, me? I never eat.
Oh yay! I look forward to meeting you!

Hope I won't be missing out too much by leaving Saturday night. I wonder if people go out Friday night since registration is so early on Saturday?

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:10 pm

aeiouy wrote:
jaysgirl42671 wrote:
aeiouy wrote:Anyone else getting there in the early afternoon on Friday to go see what the town is like and possibly stuff their face with delicious food?
Me!! I'm actually flying out of St Pete, Fl. at the crack of dawn tomorrow but will be staying in Roanoke to see family. I'm leaning towards the Blue Sky for lunch and the Bistro on Main (which I adore) for dinner. :lol: No, who, me? I never eat.

Hope I won't be missing out too much by leaving Saturday night. I wonder if people go out Friday night since registration is so early on Saturday?
curious about that too...i also have to leave before the dinner saturday

mtmorce

New

Post by mtmorce » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:56 am

srfngdd6 wrote:
aeiouy wrote:
jaysgirl42671 wrote:

curious about that too...i also have to leave before the dinner saturday
Looking forward to meeting you all!

Ant1her0

New

Post by Ant1her0 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:00 pm

jaysgirl42671 wrote:

Haha...I was on that flight. I live in Polk County. Was that you sitting next to the mom with the loud kid? I didn't see anyone else that looked young in my general vicinity.

/creep mode off.

jaysgirl42671

Bronze

Post by jaysgirl42671 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Ha that's funny!! No my mom and I had open seating, but I am the girl that the flight attendant talked about when he asked people to take a seat so I could get to Lexington. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LKI716

New

Post by LKI716 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:37 pm

I'll be there early afternoon!

kroakstool

Bronze

Post by kroakstool » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Just checked into the Holiday Inn Express with my fiancée. Ready for the the reception a the alumni house.

jerichosm

Bronze

Post by jerichosm » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:27 am

Asw is amazing...if you haven't visited, I highly suggest it!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:32 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tallgaloot

New

Post by tallgaloot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Ok- I'm a little late to the party here. W&L was not one of my top picks, I applied on a whim because it was a free application. But, I've been denied to most of my top choices at the moment and am trying to decide where to go. A few things to consider:
I'm specifically looking toward public interest law, at helping children and families in poverty as a child/poverty advocate. Whether this happens at a nonprofit, a government agency, or somewhere else has yet to be seen. I have no desire for "Big Law." Keep these things in mind:
1. I want to go to the BEST school possible.
2. Since making money is not my biggest concern, a school with a good LRAP would be a good fit.
3. If possible, I'd like to stay close to the east coast (NJ) as I have an ill mother. Would probably prefer to practice somewhere in the northeast -> Washington DC area.
4. I want the school with the best track record/program in public interest.
5. I wouldn't mind a judicial clerkship after graduation.
6. I want to work hard and have a job soon after graduating.

At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards Notre Dame, as they seem to have a better public interest law program. CONVINCE ME I'M WRONG!

As far as tuition/scholarship, it's about the same, both have offered me around a 1/2 ride.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:20 pm

tallgaloot wrote:Ok- I'm a little late to the party here. W&L was not one of my top picks, I applied on a whim because it was a free application. But, I've been denied to most of my top choices at the moment and am trying to decide where to go. A few things to consider:
I'm specifically looking toward public interest law, at helping children and families in poverty as a child/poverty advocate. Whether this happens at a nonprofit, a government agency, or somewhere else has yet to be seen. I have no desire for "Big Law." Keep these things in mind:
2. Since making money is not my biggest concern, a school with a good LRAP would be a good fit.
3. If possible, I'd like to stay close to the east coast (NJ) as I have an ill mother. Would probably prefer to practice somewhere in the northeast -> Washington DC area.

At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards Notre Dame, as they seem to have a better public interest law program. CONVINCE ME I'M WRONG!

As far as tuition/scholarship, it's about the same, both have offered me around a 1/2 ride.
Would you rather practice in the mid west or mid atlantic?

It's that simple. W&L and ND are both good schools. Just depends on the region you want.

#3 tells me W&L might be the better fit.

tallgaloot

New

Post by tallgaloot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:35 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
Would you rather practice in the mid west or mid atlantic?

It's that simple. W&L and ND are both good schools. Just depends on the region you want.

#3 tells me W&L might be the better fit.
As you mention, I would rather practice in the mid atlantic/north east. However- Notre Dame has pretty good national placement due to their extensive alumni network.

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:04 pm

tallgaloot wrote:Ok- I'm a little late to the party here. W&L was not one of my top picks, I applied on a whim because it was a free application. But, I've been denied to most of my top choices at the moment and am trying to decide where to go. A few things to consider:

I would be worried about the debt- unless you get into a program that forgives your tuition if you make 50,000 or less (I think UVA has a program similar)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tallgaloot

New

Post by tallgaloot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Comoncents wrote:
I would be worried about the debt- unless you get into a program that forgives your tuition if you make 50,000 or less (I think UVA has a program similar)
Denied from UVA. Notre Dame has such a LRAP program. I'm not sure about W&L's program.

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:09 pm

tallgaloot wrote:
Comoncents wrote:
Denied from UVA. Notre Dame has such a LRAP program. I'm not sure about W&L's program.

http://law.wlu.edu/career/page.asp?pageid=817

tallgaloot

New

Post by tallgaloot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Comoncents wrote:
tallgaloot wrote:
Comoncents wrote:

Yes, I've seen this, but it's not clear what exactly they pay out and to what income level, etc.

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:08 pm

tallgaloot wrote:
Comoncents wrote:
tallgaloot wrote:
Comoncents wrote:

Yes, I've seen this, but it's not clear what exactly they pay out and to what income level, etc.

Yeah, but at least you know there is something of the sort.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jerichosm

Bronze

Post by jerichosm » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:13 pm

W&L's third year program has a clinic where you represent widows of coal miners in black lung cases (real people, not simulations)

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:21 pm

jerichosm wrote:

W&L's third year program has a clinic where you represent widows of coal miners in black lung cases (real people, not simulations)

What is your opinion of the new third year? I have heard all bad, but it could be biased. The lawyers I have spoken with do not like it but it is only a few people.

What do you guys think?

tallgaloot

New

Post by tallgaloot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Comoncents wrote: What is your opinion of the new third year? I have heard all bad, but it could be biased. The lawyers I have spoken with do not like it but it is only a few people.

What do you guys think?
I am interested in hearing some opinions on this myself. It's definitely one of their major selling points now. It does seem to have pushed their ranking up a bit. Good? Bad?

onel14

New

Post by onel14 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:36 pm

1L at W&L.

First, to the person who seems to think that an online forum will be the answer to all of your law school decisions, grow up and think for yourself. No 0L on a law school forum is going to give you any meaningful feedback.

Second, if you are so distraught over this decision, maybe you should attend an ASW and think for yourself/meet actual students. That will elicit much more help than some lousy online forum.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:07 pm

tallgaloot wrote:
Comoncents wrote: What is your opinion of the new third year? I have heard all bad, but it could be biased. The lawyers I have spoken with do not like it but it is only a few people.

What do you guys think?
I am interested in hearing some opinions on this myself. It's definitely one of their major selling points now. It does seem to have pushed their ranking up a bit. Good? Bad?

It is a selling point, but I doubt the change in rank was due to the new third year. Actually, I know it had nothing to do with it, but it would be interesting to hear a little about it from others. The law school is going to make it out to be great, but I would like to hear from other students what they think.

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:07 pm

onel14 wrote:1L at W&L.

First, to the person who seems to think that an online forum will be the answer to all of your law school decisions, grow up and think for yourself. No 0L on a law school forum is going to give you any meaningful feedback.

Second, if you are so distraught over this decision, maybe you should attend an ASW and think for yourself/meet actual students. That will elicit much more help than some lousy online forum.

?

jerichosm

Bronze

Post by jerichosm » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Comoncents wrote:
jerichosm wrote:

What is your opinion of the new third year? I have heard all bad, but it could be biased. The lawyers I have spoken with do not like it but it is only a few people.

What do you guys think?

I'm a 0L that is currently at asw, and I have heard from the faculty that the 3L program is very well received by employers so far (in fact a lot of the practicums appear to be taught by practicing attorneys from richmond and throughout the state)...regardless of its perception, however, it sounds phenomenal and it may just be what drives me to lexington.

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:18 pm

jerichosm wrote:
Comoncents wrote:
jerichosm wrote:

What do you guys think?

I'm a 0L that is currently at asw, and I have heard from the faculty that the 3L program is very well received by employers so far (in fact a lot of the practicums appear to be taught by practicing attorneys from richmond and throughout the state)...regardless of its perception, however, it sounds phenomenal and it may just be what drives me to lexington.

Awesome!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”