IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BKCentral

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby BKCentral » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:32 pm

Ah yeah that makes sense, thanks for the answer. My gpa is slightly below their 25%, but my LSAT is 3 points above their 75%, I was hoping I would be an admit! Oh well.

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:32 pm

For those admitted, the status checker notes that the school will send "additional information shortly."

Has anyone determined what this additional information is? Or, how long shortly is?

nickjive

Postby nickjive » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:41 pm

BKCentral wrote:Status updated today, "preliminary waitlist." Assuming that's just the same thing as a regular waitlist?

Did your status checker change dates while you were in review, or did it just go straight from in review to decision?

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:44 pm

nickjive wrote:
BKCentral wrote:Status updated today, "preliminary waitlist." Assuming that's just the same thing as a regular waitlist?

Did your status checker change dates while you were in review, or did it just go straight from in review to decision?

I honestly try not to check my statuses that often, but if I'm remembering correctly about this one, then I've been in review since 11/15 or so, with no other changes.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:56 pm

7ate9 wrote:For those admitted, the status checker notes that the school will send "additional information shortly."

Has anyone determined what this additional information is? Or, how long shortly is?

I got an email from Dran Agrawal the next day and mailed letters a few days later from Collins Byrd and later admissions.

chill

Postby chill » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickjive

Postby nickjive » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Oh god, date just changed. Still in review

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Man, I want the scholarship information, whether big or small! Hopefully we won't be waiting until Feb or March...

brupe

Postby brupe » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm right there with you @nickjive. I've rechecked my status checker at least 3 times an hour allll day. Don't know how my boss expects me to work today.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:32 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Man, I want the scholarship information, whether big or small! Hopefully we won't be waiting until Feb or March...

+1 your numbers are better than mine, so I'm sure you'll get yours first.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Man, I want the scholarship information, whether big or small! Hopefully we won't be waiting until Feb or March...

Do they send them out individually? I figured it would be in batches like acceptances (obviously with the best students being in the first batch, then moving lower with each subsequent batch). I would assume our numbers are close enough that we'd be in the same batch (considering we're both in state and applied pretty early).

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:26 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:

Do they send them out individually? I figured it would be in batches like acceptances (obviously with the best students being in the first batch, then moving lower with each subsequent batch). I would assume our numbers are close enough that we'd be in the same batch (considering we're both in state and applied pretty early).

I have no idea. Its hard to tell since people don't post dates of when they got scholly info on LSN. I would think it probably is in batches so they can see how many people higher up withdraw before sending offers to lower ranked picks.

brupe

Postby brupe » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:26 pm

I have a feeling they're making me wait so long to know the status of my application so that I get so antsy and frustrated that when I finally receive my denial, I will thank them for relieving me of the agony of the not knowing and not be heart broken by the fact that I was denied. Sick sick game, Admissions Committee. I'm on to you.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:26 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Do they send them out individually? I figured it would be in batches like acceptances (obviously with the best students being in the first batch, then moving lower with each subsequent batch). I would assume our numbers are close enough that we'd be in the same batch (considering we're both in state and applied pretty early).

I think it's in waves/batches. I'm not entirely sure how many scholarships they give out, but based on mine coming in February, I'm guessing they send early ones then recycle the money if those people turn them down.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:18 pm

chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Do they send them out individually? I figured it would be in batches like acceptances (obviously with the best students being in the first batch, then moving lower with each subsequent batch). I would assume our numbers are close enough that we'd be in the same batch (considering we're both in state and applied pretty early).

I think it's in waves/batches. I'm not entirely sure how many scholarships they give out, but based on mine coming in February, I'm guessing they send early ones then recycle the money if those people turn them down.

That sounds right. You were a splitter, so it would make sense that you might get a later offer because they need to see where there numbers are before offering to splitters.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:19 pm

chrisbru wrote:

This is what happens. I applied at the deadline two years ago and they quickly let me know that I was in consideration for a scholarship, but that they had no money free. They had to wait for others who were offered to enroll elsewhere. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I didn't get my offer until April.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:38 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

This is what happens. I applied at the deadline two years ago and they quickly let me know that I was in consideration for a scholarship, but that they had no money free. They had to wait for others who were offered to enroll elsewhere. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I didn't get my offer until April.

At least we know that April is about as late as it will go then.

itsbenryl

Postby itsbenryl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:06 am

Do any of you people on this thread truly believe that you're going to succeed in the legal profession coming out of Iowa?

Get a clue, people. If you're not in the top 5% of the class, you're not getting any kind of job in the legal profession. Don't believe me? Go and look at the websites of all the major firms in this country. You will see that after the class of 2007, very few if any Iowa grads were hired by firms that pay enough to make taking on the debt you'll be taking on worthwhile.

This is one thing the administration and the faculty at Iowa will never tell you: the truth. The truth is that, in today's economy, if you're not in the top 5% coming out of Iowa, the best you can hope for is working at Target in Coralville. Don't believe me? Fine. Go borrow the $100+K to to go Iowa and see what happens to your life in three years.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:12 am

itsbenryl wrote:Do any of you people on this thread truly believe that you're going to succeed in the legal profession coming out of Iowa?

Get a clue, people. If you're not in the top 5% of the class, you're not getting any kind of job in the legal profession. Don't believe me? Go and look at the websites of all the major firms in this country. You will see that after the class of 2007, very few if any Iowa grads were hired by firms that pay enough to make taking on the debt you'll be taking on worthwhile.

This is one thing the administration and the faculty at Iowa will never tell you: the truth. The truth is that, in today's economy, if you're not in the top 5% coming out of Iowa, the best you can hope for is working at Target in Coralville. Don't believe me? Fine. Go borrow the $100+K to to go Iowa and see what happens to your life in three years.

lolol at the baseless speculation. My count of 40 six figure jobs and rising begs to differ.

itsbenryl

Postby itsbenryl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:15 am

You sound like a real deluded Iowa winner pal. Look at the numbers out there in the real world. No one who is under the top 5% is getting a decent job coming out of this place.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:26 am

itsbenryl wrote:You sound like a real deluded Iowa winner pal. Look at the numbers out there in the real world. No one who is under the top 5% is getting a decent job coming out of this place.

NLJ 250 numbers in 2010 were 12%, about 25 people. Account for a slight pick-up in the economy and people that get six-figure firm jobs outside of the NLJ 250 and 40 sounds about right.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:30 am

itsbenryl wrote:Do any of you people on this thread truly believe that you're going to succeed in the legal profession coming out of Iowa?

Dude, we are the top 5% you spoke of. In a class of about 200, thats 10 people. There's less than that here. In fact, most of us have biglaw gigs already lined up. I'm a 0L and already have an offer from Baker and McKenzie so long as I can pass the bar.

itsbenryl

Postby itsbenryl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:32 am

Bullshit. 0L and have a job offer from B&M? You're lying. No one, but no one coming out of Iowa below the top 5% is getting a job outside the midwest. Period.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:37 am

itsbenryl wrote:Bullshit. 0L and have a job offer from B&M? You're lying. No one, but no one coming out of Iowa below the top 5% is getting a job outside the midwest. Period.

No dude I'm for real. I called them and they said they'd love to have me. I sent them my personal statement and they said they would hire me upon graduation pending I pass the bar. Gentlemen's agreement.

But dude: in this thread, we are the 5%. So even if everyone outside of the top 5% can't get a job, that doesn't matter to us. Go preach your madness to the moronic 95%. Suckers!!!

itsbenryl

Postby itsbenryl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:39 am

Yeah, right. You're the top 5% but you're a 0L? You're really an arrogant loser. Good luck with the self delusions, pal. Let us know after your first semester how this works out for you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”