IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DportIA

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby DportIA » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:53 pm

^ Yeah that's me. I'm praying for the scholarship, Iowa would be wonderful. It is my dream school, although between peer schools that are ranked higher like Indiana, Minnesota, and Illinois (or even ND and WUSTL) where I have a reasonable chance for admission, I would still choose Iowa.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:22 pm

DportIA wrote:^ Yeah that's me. I'm praying for the scholarship, Iowa would be wonderful. It is my dream school, although between peer schools that are ranked higher like Indiana, Minnesota, and Illinois (or even ND and WUSTL) where I have a reasonable chance for admission, I would still choose Iowa.

Between all of those schools, you should pick based on where you want to work after school and on cost.

If you want to be in Minneapolis... Go to U of M over Iowa almost no matter what. I would be leery with Illinois after the recent scandal.

ND and WUSTL seem to be able to place better than they should.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:32 pm

chrisbru wrote:
DportIA wrote:^ Yeah that's me. I'm praying for the scholarship, Iowa would be wonderful. It is my dream school, although between peer schools that are ranked higher like Indiana, Minnesota, and Illinois (or even ND and WUSTL) where I have a reasonable chance for admission, I would still choose Iowa.

Between all of those schools, you should pick based on where you want to work after school and on cost.

If you want to be in Minneapolis... Go to U of M over Iowa almost no matter what. I would be leery with Illinois after the recent scandal.

This is correct, especially Notre Dame. That school places wayyyy better than its ranking indicates. They have alums in high places, and ND alums are extremely loyal. However, I've heard South Bend is a dump of a place to have to live for three years during law school. Iowa City, on the other hand, is a pretty good town.

I don't know how well Creighton places, but I'm assuming it does well in Omaha and maybe respectably in places like Wichita, Topeka, Kansas City, etc. I wouldn't say that you shouldn't consider Creighton at all if you get accepted to Iowa. I mean, if you get a full ride at Iowa, then I wouldn't consider Creighton unless I knew 100% that I wanted to work in Omaha. However, if you strike out at OCI at Iowa (which 80-90% of people do), then your job prospects out of Iowa are probably pretty similar to what they would be out of Creighton. That is, either way you'd be fighting for small firm, assistant county attorney, state trial court clerk, etc. type of jobs. Iowa's higher ranking is meaningful mostly in that you have more big firms (especially from Chicago and Minneapolis) interviewing at OCI than what I assume interview at Creighton. I don't remember any Omaha firms at Iowa OCI.

nickjive

Postby nickjive » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:23 pm

I know there's countless PC vs Mac threads here, what's the deal with Iowa?:

"The College of Law is a PC environment. The College does not recommend Macintosh computers. If you use a Mac for law school work, you will not have the same level of access and support as you will with a PC laptop."

For those of you already attending, do people ever use Macs with Parallels or is it strictly PC use?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:44 pm

nickjive wrote:I know there's countless PC vs Mac threads here, what's the deal with Iowa?:

"The College of Law is a PC environment. The College does not recommend Macintosh computers. If you use a Mac for law school work, you will not have the same level of access and support as you will with a PC laptop."

For those of you already attending, do people ever use Macs with Parallels or is it strictly PC use?

Woah, I never saw that. Is this for real?

nickjive

Postby nickjive » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:50 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
nickjive wrote:I know there's countless PC vs Mac threads here, what's the deal with Iowa?:

Source: http://www.law.uiowa.edu/library/comput ... aptops.php

somewherewarm

Postby somewherewarm » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:54 pm

In via email! Been IR since around Oct. 24, good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

nickjive

Postby nickjive » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:58 pm

somewherewarm wrote:In via email! Been IR since around Oct. 24, good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Congrats! Has your status checker updated yet?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:06 pm

nickjive wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Man, that's strange. Most everywhere these days has equal compatibility. I need to buy a new laptop, but the thought of going back to Windows doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Any first hand evidence of how much this really matters?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:28 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
nickjive wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Man, that's strange. Most everywhere these days has equal compatibility. I need to buy a new laptop, but the thought of going back to Windows doesn't sound very appealing to me.

It doesn't matter anymore. Pre apple craze it did but now the printing software companies have caught up and are fully compatible.

My advice advice don't do either and be a rebel and go linux. L

somewherewarm

Postby somewherewarm » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:41 pm

nickjive wrote:
somewherewarm wrote:In via email! Been IR since around Oct. 24, good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Congrats! Has your status checker updated yet?

Yeah I think it updated around the time I received the email.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:35 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
nickjive wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

I saw a couple of people using them when I visited. I can't imagine why anyone outside of the artistic fields would want one though. I can't stand them (as I type on my iPhone). Even if the school has largely adapted, getting used to windows again would probably be a good idea because the school's IT people will be better able to help you, and you'll most likely be using a PC once you get out of law school.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Opie wrote:I saw a couple of people using them when I visited. I can't imagine why anyone outside of the artistic fields would want one though. I can't stand them (as I type on my iPhone). Even if the school has largely adapted, getting used to windows again would probably be a good idea because the school's IT people will be better able to help you, and you'll most likely be using a PC once you get out of law school.

I'd say over half of my class has Macs, based on looking around my classrooms. I like them because they stand the test of time, and generally don't have the problems that Windows has. The exam software is available for Mac, and I haven't used anything yet that isn't Mac compatible.

Conclusion: Macs are fine, and used by many in law school.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:50 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:I saw a couple of people using them when I visited. I can't imagine why anyone outside of the artistic fields would want one though. I can't stand them (as I type on my iPhone). Even if the school has largely adapted, getting used to windows again would probably be a good idea because the school's IT people will be better able to help you, and you'll most likely be using a PC once you get out of law school.

I'd say over half of my class has Macs, based on looking around my classrooms. I like them because they stand the test of time, and generally don't have the problems that Windows has. The exam software is available for Mac, and I haven't used anything yet that isn't Mac compatible.

Conclusion: Macs are fine, and used by many in law school.

I hate them for more personal reasons, but I'm wondering if they'll use them at any firms.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:58 pm

That's a relief that they aren't unusable at Iowa.

I'm no die-hard computer guy that demands people to go one way or the other. I'm not even anti-Windows. My family just switched to Mac back when I was in elementary school and I guess I grew partial to them. My MacBook Pro of 4 years was amazing as well. I'm not someone that cares about specs, but it did everything I needed and didn't have an issue after it got dropped from a friends bunk bed onto a linoleum (no clue how to spell that) floor. Whether they are the best or the worst, they work for me and I think they're pretty sweet.

In regards to Opie, I should preface my comment by saying I do tons of artistic stuff (graphic design, photography, and video editing). In fact, I almost went to Minneapolis College of Art and Design for UG.

I must say though, the snobby hipsters give all us Apple fans a bad rep (or is it rap? Man, my English is off tonight).

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:21 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:That's a relief that they aren't unusable at Iowa.

I'm no die-hard computer guy that demands people to go one way or the other. I'm not even anti-Windows. My family just switched to Mac back when I was in elementary school and I guess I grew partial to them. My MacBook Pro of 4 years was amazing as well. I'm not someone that cares about specs, but it did everything I needed and didn't have an issue after it got dropped from a friends bunk bed onto a linoleum (no clue how to spell that) floor. Whether they are the best or the worst, they work for me and I think they're pretty sweet.

In regards to Opie, I should preface my comment by saying I do tons of artistic stuff (graphic design, photography, and video editing). In fact, I almost went to Minneapolis College of Art and Design for UG.

I must say though, the snobby hipsters give all us Apple fans a bad rep (or is it rap? Man, my English is off tonight).

I agree about the snobby hipsters. It does get annoying.

Opie wrote:I hate them for more personal reasons, but I'm wondering if they'll use them at any firms.

I've heard some firms allow the use of Macs, but the vast majority use Windows as a standard.

nickjive

Postby nickjive » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:52 pm

chrisbru wrote:Conclusion: Macs are fine, and used by many in law school.

Cool, thanks for the response.

Trojan228

Postby Trojan228 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:04 am

Many businesses are beginning to use mac's too. I know of a few in particular around Iowa City even, although it was much more prevalent out west. I'm glad that they are not forcing anyone to use PC's. PC's are terrible, and I just bought a new 15 inch macbook pro. Glad to hear there aren't any known problems with macs at Iowa.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:20 am

chrisbru wrote:

Personally I would take Iowa over U of M if you get any substantial money, even if you're after Minneapolis. We had an exceptional Minneapolis showing at OCI this year: Faegre, Gray Plant, Lindquist, Dorsey, Briggs & Morgan, Oppenheimer, Fredrikson, etc. If you have ties and grades, landing something in MN would not be particularly difficult.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:41 am

Got the letter from Barron last night explaining how to pay seat deposits. It says Enclosure at the bottom though and there weren't any enclosures. Anyone else notice this or experience this or have an enclosure?

From the letter, it doesn't sound like there should be an enclosure.

Also, boo macs. :P

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:32 pm

While we're on laptops, I might as well ask your thoughts on this question.

I've always used a 17 inch Macbook Pro. This worked perfectly for artistic purposes and also for school. When I had to do research papers, I could fit numerous windows on my screen without it being to crowded. I never thought it was too heavy/clunky to carry with me either. After 4 years, I finally need a new laptop for law school.

My question is this: How stupid would someone look having a 17 inch laptop in class at law school? I'm considering buying a 15 inch instead because people say its a happy medium, but I am partial to the excessive screen size. My first thought is that it doesn't really matter how big your laptop is in class, but I've heard people say that if a kid had such a big laptop, they'd stick out like a sore thumb. Is this true? Do people notice/care about how big the laptops others use in class are?

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:35 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:While we're on laptops, I might as well ask your thoughts on this question.

I've always used a 17 inch Macbook Pro. This worked perfectly for artistic purposes and also for school. When I had to do research papers, I could fit numerous windows on my screen without it being to crowded. I never thought it was too heavy/clunky to carry with me either. After 4 years, I finally need a new laptop for law school.

My question is this: How stupid would someone look having a 17 inch laptop in class at law school? I'm considering buying a 15 inch instead because people say its a happy medium, but I am partial to the excessive screen size. My first thought is that it doesn't really matter how big your laptop is in class, but I've heard people say that if a kid had such a big laptop, they'd stick out like a sore thumb. Is this true? Do people notice/care about how big the laptops others use in class are?

Nobody cares. I wouldn't judge you for using a large laptop, but I'd judge someone who judged someone for using a large laptop. Buy whatever you want.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:45 pm

I don't think your laptop size is going to be a huge concern either way. That being said, 17" is kind of big just from a practical perspective. Your desk space will be limited with peers to your left and right, and if you have a casebook open, a print-out, a syllabus, notes, or a supplement open in some classes (in civil procedure, tax, some other classes you'll almost always have two books open), then the footprint of your 17" laptop might get annoying. I actually traded with my wife recently to go from a 16" to a 13.3" and much prefer the smaller laptop in class. Aside from going down to a netbook, the smaller the better IMO. All you're going to use it for in class is to surf the internet, write emails, and take notes (in that order) anyway.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:20 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:While we're on laptops, I might as well ask your thoughts on this question.

There are a few people with 17" laptops. However, you'd be better off keeping that old 17" for when you need the extra screen real estate at home, and picking up (for a lot cheaper, while you're at it) either a 13" or 15" MacBook Pro (or MacBook Air... The ones coming out in spring are supposed to be quad core and they are adding a 15" size to the line.)

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:24 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:[

Personally I would take Iowa over U of M if you get any substantial money, even if you're after Minneapolis. We had an exceptional Minneapolis showing at OCI this year: Faegre, Gray Plant, Lindquist, Dorsey, Briggs & Morgan, Oppenheimer, Fredrikson, etc. If you have ties and grades, landing something in MN would not be particularly difficult.

This is good advice ONLY if have substantial ties to MN. Also, grades are not guaranteed, and there are quite a few more spots open to MN graduates in the top 50% than to Iowa's top 50%.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”