IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
brupe

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby brupe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:49 am

In Review as of 11/30. I went in review last year, got waitlisted a week later, then denied 7 months after that...so I'm used to this waiting game lol. Good luck to everyone in review and congrats to those accepted!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:58 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
And commuting is fine. I live in Coralville (about 15 min commute) and love it. If you need parking information a little later down the road, hit me up.

Do you think it has a major academic impact? Like would you think that those closer to campus have better chances of success? I know some people need to constantly be in "an academic environment" to succeed while others find it better to be able to get away. Do you think it made much of a difference for you to be 15 minutes from campus?

LOL, no. 1L you will have plenty of free time to both relax and find whatever study environment works best for you. 2L you will find that your time is much more limited.

I actually have a lot more free time this year as a 2L (hence several posts on TLS less than a week from my first final). Depends which courses you take, I suppose.

Also, by 2L year I figured out that you don't really have to do much homework or go to class to do well on the finals. You just need to put together or find a good outline and spend a few days per course hammering away studying it before the final. Then you just write stuff that sounds assertive and lawyerly on the test and professors eat that shit up.

This sounds like my approach to this semester. Read the cases, don't brief. Found good outlines from students who xfered out and just read a few supplements. I have lots of free time until finals now. Guess its back to MW3.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Trojan228 wrote:Any suggestions on what I could call the fbook group? As of now it is just 'Iowa Law Class of 2015.' I do realize this could be confusing for those searching for the 'official' group that does not yet exist, but I also figured most people would join up since the status checker says to search for exactly that haha 8)

Anyways, let me know if you have troubles finding it. There could be some issue with facebook or something I'm not doing right, but I'm pretty sure its good to go.

I found it no problem.

Ours is called "University of Iowa College of Law - Class of 2014". It's way easy to pick out from "Iowa Law: Class of 2014", so you don't accidentally click the wrong one and post something you didn't want administrators to see.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:01 pm

Now that I'm in the group I can find it right away, but I couldn't at all until I got the invite.

Maybe it's my settings.

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Submitted my application yesterday and just received my status checker. Hope Iowa shows some love and is generous with scholarships this cycle

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:17 pm

buckythebadger wrote:Submitted my application yesterday and just received my status checker. Hope Iowa shows some love and is generous with scholarships this cycle

Not with a user name like that! :D

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:26 pm

chrisbru wrote:
buckythebadger wrote:Submitted my application yesterday and just received my status checker. Hope Iowa shows some love and is generous with scholarships this cycle

Not with a user name like that! :D

Ah come on man, you can't tell me your actually going to root for MSU this weekend?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:49 pm

buckythebadger wrote:Ah come on man, you can't tell me your actually going to root for MSU this weekend?

You're right, I have to admit I'll root for the Badgers against everyone except Iowa. But you gotta be a Hawkeye fan first since it's all Big Ten!

tyro

Postby tyro » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:25 pm

I just recently applied w/o a fee waiver. One of the only schools I applied to where I'm actually above the LSAT median. Good luck everone!!

Trojan228

Postby Trojan228 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:37 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Trojan228 wrote:Any suggestions on what I could call the fbook group? As of now it is just 'Iowa Law Class of 2015.' I do realize this could be confusing for those searching for the 'official' group that does not yet exist, but I also figured most people would join up since the status checker says to search for exactly that haha 8)

Anyways, let me know if you have troubles finding it. There could be some issue with facebook or something I'm not doing right, but I'm pretty sure its good to go.

I found it no problem.

Ours is called "University of Iowa College of Law - Class of 2014". It's way easy to pick out from "Iowa Law: Class of 2014", so you don't accidentally click the wrong one and post something you didn't want administrators to see.

Alright I changed it to University of Iowa College of Law - Class of 2015. Thanks for the input, this will remove any confusion with the official group that will be made eventually. Any clue as to when ISIS will reflect my 'accepted' status?

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Trojan228 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I found it no problem.

Alright I changed it to University of Iowa College of Law - Class of 2015. Thanks for the input, this will remove any confusion with the official group that will be made eventually. Any clue as to when ISIS will reflect my 'accepted' status?

I was wondering that too. Not that I plan to make a deposit or anything just yet, but I'd like the option.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Got my email from Agrawal today and my letter from Byrd. No personal comments from Byrd though. I'm still satisfied that my numbers are lower than the other LSN people who were accepted. :mrgreen:

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Trojan228 wrote:Alright I changed it to University of Iowa College of Law - Class of 2015. Thanks for the input, this will remove any confusion with the official group that will be made eventually. Any clue as to when ISIS will reflect my 'accepted' status?

I think it takes quite awhile. But I don't remember for sure.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:45 pm

In via status checker

neeko

Postby neeko » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:In via status checker

Congrats! When did you go in review?

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:13 pm

neeko wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:In via status checker

Congrats! When did you go in review?

Thanks - I posted about being in review on 11/19, but I think it was actually a day or two before

Eco

Postby Eco » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Romney has no chance, I would say either Gingrich, Bachmann or Ron Paul gets this one.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Eco wrote:Romney has no chance, I would say either Gingrich, Bachmann or Ron Paul gets this one.

Um... Wrong thread?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Eco wrote:Romney has no chance, I would say either Gingrich, Bachmann or Ron Paul gets this one.

I see what you did there, and still don't care.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:58 pm

I have been accepted to Iowa, and yesterday I got full tuition books and fees to Creighton for all three years, just a "good standing" stipulation. I am interested in advocacy, so low debt is pretty key to my goals.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:10 pm

DportIA wrote:I have been accepted to Iowa, and yesterday I got full tuition books and fees to Creighton for all three years, just a "good standing" stipulation. I am interested in advocacy, so low debt is pretty key to my goals.

I'm not going to go on an anti-Creighton tirade, but I wouldn't go there even if they paid you to go if I were in at Iowa.

target

Postby target » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:06 pm

DportIA wrote:I have been accepted to Iowa, and yesterday I got full tuition books and fees to Creighton for all three years, just a "good standing" stipulation. I am interested in advocacy, so low debt is pretty key to my goals.

Find out what good standing is first before making any decision.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:53 pm

I am not making any decision until all of my admissions and scholarships come. It is a diversity scholarship, so from what I gather the "good standing" is vastly different than a top-third of class stipulation, 3.00 average, etc.

I am waiting to see if I get a LOF from Iowa. I will get into higher ranked schools than Iowa, but home is where the heart is.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:01 pm

DportIA wrote:I am not making any decision until all of my admissions and scholarships come. It is a diversity scholarship, so from what I gather the "good standing" is vastly different than a top-third of class stipulation, 3.00 average, etc.

I am waiting to see if I get a LOF from Iowa. I will get into higher ranked schools than Iowa, but home is where the heart is.

If you're going to get into higher ranked schools than Iowa even, throw that Creighton scholarship out the window.

If you're instate and getting into schools better than Iowa, you'll probably get a good scholarship here.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:38 pm

chrisbru wrote:
DportIA wrote:I am not making any decision until all of my admissions and scholarships come. It is a diversity scholarship, so from what I gather the "good standing" is vastly different than a top-third of class stipulation, 3.00 average, etc.

If you're going to get into higher ranked schools than Iowa even, throw that Creighton scholarship out the window.

If you're instate and getting into schools better than Iowa, you'll probably get a good scholarship here.

+1

IIRC you're Mexican American with a GPA just below median and an LSAT higher. I would think that would be a scholly from Iowa. My thought is that Iowa has a harder time getting URMs than other top schools because they have to have half residents and the pool of resident applicants doesn't include very many URMs to start.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”