IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby neeko » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:51 pm

BKCentral wrote:Sorry, this may be a stupid question that was clarified earlier in the thread, but is "in progress" for admission decision the same thing as "in review" everyone is talking about? All I've had is "in progress" for a couple of weeks now.


Don't use ISIS, use the LSAC one.

User avatar
nickjive
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby nickjive » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:53 pm

BKCentral wrote:Sorry, this may be a stupid question that was clarified earlier in the thread, but is "in progress" for admission decision the same thing as "in review" everyone is talking about? All I've had is "in progress" for a couple of weeks now.


Looks like you're checking ISIS (which apparently is the wrong checker). Click here: http://www.law.uiowa.edu/prospective/
Then click "Check application status" on the right.

My ISIS has said "in progress" from the day I submitted until now. I've gone from "complete" to "in review" since then.

User avatar
BKCentral
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby BKCentral » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Ohhh wow, thanks for the correct link. Something felt a bit off about that whole "status checker" I was using. Apparently I've been in review since 11/14! Glad I'm finally in the loop.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:15 pm

BKCentral wrote:Sorry, this may be a stupid question that was clarified earlier in the thread, but is "in progress" for admission decision the same thing as "in review" everyone is talking about? All I've had is "in progress" for a couple of weeks now.


Nope. It will say in review when they are actually reviewing it.

LOL at nickjive. That was hilarious!

Shredderrr, way jealous!

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:51 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
You take things too seriously. Chill. It'll do you some good.


Dude I was just clarifying what I said. I guess from now on I'll just try to chill out and not take everything so seriously just like you:

Dear lord, you are going to feel out of the loop if you don't go to bars AND don't have a Facebook.



I'm confused. Are you offended by my use of the word lord? Because I didn't capitalize the "L"? Or is it because you misinterpreted my internet forum post as SRS BSNS?

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:12 pm

nickjive wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Benefit of going to Iowa: Getting to move into my grandmothers house (since she moved into assisted living). Not glamorous, but free housing isn't a bad option.


Dude, lucky. Make sure to peel the plastic off of the davenports when you move in. Also, feel free to bring the bowl of hard candies to class.


Haha right on. Actually (and thankfully for me) she moved into her place (which she bought new) only a few years ago. It's actually a cool place, mostly based on the fact that she is awsome (she even went with me to a death cab for cutie concert lol). And better yet, she gave me free reign to redesign and redecorate as my heart desires.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:51 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Haha right on. Actually (and thankfully for me) she moved into her place (which she bought new) only a few years ago. It's actually a cool place, mostly based on the fact that she is awsome (she even went with me to a death cab for cutie concert lol). And better yet, she gave me free reign to redesign and redecorate as my heart desires.


What part of town is it in? This is a HUGE benefit. Most people I know are paying between $550-$700 for rent.

northerniowan
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby northerniowan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Just went in-review. I hope it doesn't take too much longer.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:12 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
nickjive wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Benefit of going to Iowa: Getting to move into my grandmothers house (since she moved into assisted living). Not glamorous, but free housing isn't a bad option.


Dude, lucky. Make sure to peel the plastic off of the davenports when you move in. Also, feel free to bring the bowl of hard candies to class.


Haha right on. Actually (and thankfully for me) she moved into her place (which she bought new) only a few years ago. It's actually a cool place, mostly based on the fact that she is awsome (she even went with me to a death cab for cutie concert lol). And better yet, she gave me free reign to redesign and redecorate as my heart desires.


It's a little ways away from campus, but it's in a nice area. Do you know where like Saddlebrook or Bon Aire are? It's over by Proctor and Gamble, so about 10 minutes or so from campus. I'd like to be close to campus, but it sounds like the closer to campus you get, (generally) the quality of apartments goes down while price goes up. And besides, you can't beat free, even if it does involve a little commute.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:15 pm

chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
You take things too seriously. Chill. It'll do you some good.


Dude I was just clarifying what I said. I guess from now on I'll just try to chill out and not take everything so seriously just like you:

Dear lord, you are going to feel out of the loop if you don't go to bars AND don't have a Facebook.



I'm confused. Are you offended by my use of the word lord? Because I didn't capitalize the "L"? Or is it because you misinterpreted my internet forum post as SRS BSNS?


I'm upset that you used the name of my Lord and Savior in a negative manner. He is the source of all judgement and to question his power is to ensure your place in hell. May God have mercy on your soul.

Lol, joking obviously. Yeah, I was taking you too seriously. Oh the joys of internet misinterpretation.

User avatar
nickjive
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby nickjive » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:16 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:you can't beat free.


This. Jealous.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Just got 2 letters from Iowa. One was a generic acceptance letter, while the other had some more information and Iowa pamphlets. I'm assuming everyone else that got accepted has gotten these?

I must say though, I was very impressed that Collins Byrd left a personal comment on my acceptance letter. He mentioned that not only was his daughter attending the same school I went to high school at, but that he knows I'm a "good in his book" because of one the groups I was involved in during UG (listed on my resume).

I found it interesting that they were that thorough in their review of my application. While it may not have been make or break, it is encouraging that they at least consider softs.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:27 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Just got 2 letters from Iowa. One was a generic acceptance letter, while the other had some more information and Iowa pamphlets. I'm assuming everyone else that got accepted has gotten these?

I must say though, I was very impressed that Collins Byrd left a personal comment on my acceptance letter. He mentioned that not only was his daughter attending the same school I went to high school at, but that he knows I'm a "good in his book" because of one the groups I was involved in during UG (listed on my resume).

I found it interesting that they were that thorough in their review of my application. While it may not have been make or break, it is encouraging that they at least consider softs.


Collins is the man, albeit a little cheesy at times. I think they make a conscious effort to make sure applicants know that they are a good fit for the school for more reasons than LSAT/GPA combo.

And commuting is fine. I live in Coralville (about 15 min commute) and love it. If you need parking information a little later down the road, hit me up.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:45 pm

And commuting is fine. I live in Coralville (about 15 min commute) and love it. If you need parking information a little later down the road, hit me up.


Do you think it has a major academic impact? Like would you think that those closer to campus have better chances of success? I know some people need to constantly be in "an academic environment" to succeed while others find it better to be able to get away. Do you think it made much of a difference for you to be 15 minutes from campus?

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:25 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Just got 2 letters from Iowa. One was a generic acceptance letter, while the other had some more information and Iowa pamphlets. I'm assuming everyone else that got accepted has gotten these?

I must say though, I was very impressed that Collins Byrd left a personal comment on my acceptance letter. He mentioned that not only was his daughter attending the same school I went to high school at, but that he knows I'm a "good in his book" because of one the groups I was involved in during UG (listed on my resume).

I found it interesting that they were that thorough in their review of my application. While it may not have been make or break, it is encouraging that they at least consider softs.


Ohh! I want this! I haven't received any mail yet, but I haven't been home to check the mail yet today.

Byrd is pretty awesome, and Iowa is known for a more thorough review than most schools. It's nice to have evidence that that is true.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
And commuting is fine. I live in Coralville (about 15 min commute) and love it. If you need parking information a little later down the road, hit me up.


Do you think it has a major academic impact? Like would you think that those closer to campus have better chances of success? I know some people need to constantly be in "an academic environment" to succeed while others find it better to be able to get away. Do you think it made much of a difference for you to be 15 minutes from campus?



It depends on what your learning/studying style is like... Plus I can't COMPLETELY answer since we haven't taken finals quite yet :D

I'm a home-studier, so being close to the law school wouldn't help me any. I only go to the library if I absolutely have to. I like being able to take a break and get food, a soda, fire up a hookah, or take a quick NBA Jam break whenever I want to instead of taking Facebook/Reddit/whatever breaks in the library.

One of my roommates can't study at home, but he likes living further away... He knows when he's going to the library, he has to take what he needs and just stays there until he's done. He says if he lived closer that he would catch himself walking home all the time for food, or because he forgot a book, etc. and waste a lot of time.

Plus I have a dog, so I don't like leaving him home alone :D

User avatar
Trojan228
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Trojan228 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:46 pm

I can create the facebook group. But it wont let me create a group until I choose some friends to add right off the bat. Anyone interested should PM me your name or a link to your profile, and I'll get this underway. Damn you Mark Zuckerberg.

EDIT: OK its created. Just search 'Iowa Law Class of 2015'

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:03 pm

Trojan228 wrote:I can create the facebook group. But it wont let me create a group until I choose some friends to add right off the bat. Anyone interested should PM me your name or a link to your profile, and I'll get this underway. Damn you Mark Zuckerberg.

EDIT: OK its created. Just search 'Iowa Law Class of 2015'


I should have clarified not to use something so close to the official one... It will get confusing...

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby sebastian0622 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:04 pm

nickjive wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote: You're not the thread police.


Thread police came. *insert COPS theme here*


Haha, yeah, I guess I wasn't up on all my TLS forum rules. I'm such a rebel. Anyway, I have no intention of carrying on the earlier conversation. I did start a different thread with the kind of discussion that would be relevant to anyone who actually MAY have been interested in the earlier line of chatter. It's a thread about what current students would tell a version of themselves that would be entering law school in 2012. You can check it out here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=172609

So I'll drop that subject and move back to trying to be helpful on the other subjects raised like housing, etc. Along those lines, Seville Apartments are basically the law school dorms b/c so many people live there. Most folks say it's ok, but I haven't lived there. I DO know that a lot of 1L's lived there, but quite a few found a different place by 2L. I think it's kind of a default/fallback place for 1L's if you don't find anything else.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Trojan228 wrote:I can create the facebook group. But it wont let me create a group until I choose some friends to add right off the bat. Anyone interested should PM me your name or a link to your profile, and I'll get this underway. Damn you Mark Zuckerberg.

EDIT: OK its created. Just search 'Iowa Law Class of 2015'


My stupid phone won't load it for some reason. I'll join when I get home though.

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby hawkeye22 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:40 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
And commuting is fine. I live in Coralville (about 15 min commute) and love it. If you need parking information a little later down the road, hit me up.


Do you think it has a major academic impact? Like would you think that those closer to campus have better chances of success? I know some people need to constantly be in "an academic environment" to succeed while others find it better to be able to get away. Do you think it made much of a difference for you to be 15 minutes from campus?


LOL, no. 1L you will have plenty of free time to both relax and find whatever study environment works best for you. 2L you will find that your time is much more limited.

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby sebastian0622 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:38 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
And commuting is fine. I live in Coralville (about 15 min commute) and love it. If you need parking information a little later down the road, hit me up.


Do you think it has a major academic impact? Like would you think that those closer to campus have better chances of success? I know some people need to constantly be in "an academic environment" to succeed while others find it better to be able to get away. Do you think it made much of a difference for you to be 15 minutes from campus?


LOL, no. 1L you will have plenty of free time to both relax and find whatever study environment works best for you. 2L you will find that your time is much more limited.


I actually have a lot more free time this year as a 2L (hence several posts on TLS less than a week from my first final). Depends which courses you take, I suppose.

Also, by 2L year I figured out that you don't really have to do much homework or go to class to do well on the finals. You just need to put together or find a good outline and spend a few days per course hammering away studying it before the final. Then you just write stuff that sounds assertive and lawyerly on the test and professors eat that shit up.

User avatar
Trojan228
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Trojan228 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:40 pm

Any suggestions on what I could call the fbook group? As of now it is just 'Iowa Law Class of 2015.' I do realize this could be confusing for those searching for the 'official' group that does not yet exist, but I also figured most people would join up since the status checker says to search for exactly that haha 8)

Anyways, let me know if you have troubles finding it. There could be some issue with facebook or something I'm not doing right, but I'm pretty sure its good to go.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:54 pm

Trojan228 wrote:Any suggestions on what I could call the fbook group? As of now it is just 'Iowa Law Class of 2015.' I do realize this could be confusing for those searching for the 'official' group that does not yet exist, but I also figured most people would join up since the status checker says to search for exactly that haha 8)

Anyways, let me know if you have troubles finding it. There could be some issue with facebook or something I'm not doing right, but I'm pretty sure its good to go.


Yeah, it's for sure not working. I can't find a trace of it. Not sure if it's FB or something else though.

User avatar
Trojan228
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Trojan228 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:14 am

hmm I just searched on my father's facebook account and had no troubles finding it at all. Just type in 'Iowa Law...' and it pops up right away.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: call-me-bubbles, Snowjon and 19 guests