IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:50 pm

There is, however, also the risk of going to an expensive school and not getting a job. It goes both ways. Either way you can end up at a school with lots of debt and bad prospects. It just depends on where you want to hedge your bets. I'd rather avoid debt, and risk my job prospects while others would rather risk debt and have much better chances for great jobs.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:52 pm

This is a really drawn out argument. Basic points:

*If your heart is set on big law, and you can get into a better school than Iowa, go.
*If you don't care about big law, Iowa is a decent choice
*In-state at Iowa is still ~$20k less per year than sticker at any other school.
*Plus, even a contingent scholarship for one year saves you $25k.


Look, this argument doesn't pertain to a good majority of people that are wanting to gain information from this forum. Going back and forth about it really hurts the purpose of this thread. You've both said your piece, and obviously disagree. Drop it.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:53 pm

In!

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:53 pm

chrisbru wrote:This is a really drawn out argument. Basic points:

*If your heart is set on big law, and you can get into a better school than Iowa, go.
*If you don't care about big law, Iowa is a decent choice
*In-state at Iowa is still ~$20k less per year than sticker at any other school.
*Plus, even a contingent scholarship for one year saves you $25k.


Look, this argument doesn't pertain to a good majority of people that are wanting to gain information from this forum. Going back and forth about it really hurts the purpose of this thread. You've both said your piece, and obviously disagree. Drop it.


C'mon, Billy Badass, no reason to be tactless. You're not the thread police. I'm certainly willing to drop the argument, but you being patronizing makes me want to continue it just to piss you off...

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:58 pm

If you're going to summarize the argument, you can't just summarize the points from your side.

chrisbru wrote:This is a really drawn out argument. Basic points:

*If your heart is set on big law, and you can get into a better school than Iowa, go.


Or for that matter, if you want better job prospects in general, not just biglaw. It's not like New York and Atlanta only have biglaw.


*If you don't care about big law, Iowa is a decent choice

Agreed, but probably only if you're from Iowa and are willing to stay here.

*In-state at Iowa is still ~$20k less per year than sticker at any other school.

Agreed, but you'll still be going substantially into debt. The only important question is how hard it will be to pay off your debt, not what the number of the debt is. The number is only relevant as it helps answer the other question. Obviously if you make $1.5 million more over your career as a result of better job placement, an extra $100k in debt to get there would have been a good choice.


*Plus, even a contingent scholarship for one year saves you $25k.

Agreed, and it is guaranteed for a year.

I would add the following points, either from the earlier discussion or to supplement them:

- A significant number of students with contingent scholarships probably lose them.
- Iowa has no home market where it places consistently.
- Iowa is nosediving in the rankings, so you have to ask where it will be in 2015 compared to other schools mentioned.
Last edited by sebastian0622 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
nickjive
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby nickjive » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Opie wrote:In!


Congrats! Damnit, I want mine now!!!! :)

User avatar
Ernert
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:35 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Ernert » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:03 pm

nickjive wrote:
Ernert wrote:In via status checker!


Congrats! Did you apply before November?


Yea I submitted around mid to late September.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:12 pm

Opie wrote:In!


Congrats Opie!!!



sebastian0622 wrote:
C'mon, Billy Badass, no reason to be tactless. You're not the thread police. I'm certainly willing to drop the argument, but you being patronizing makes me want to continue it just to piss you off...


Whatever, man. I was just trying to point out that it's annoying to everyone else in the thread. Not being patronizing at all, just trying to get off the argument and move on to more diverse conversation about Iowa.

User avatar
nickjive
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby nickjive » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:15 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:In!


Congrats Opie!!!



sebastian0622 wrote:
C'mon, Billy Badass, no reason to be tactless. You're not the thread police. I'm certainly willing to drop the argument, but you being patronizing makes me want to continue it just to piss you off...


Whatever, man. I was just trying to point out that it's annoying to everyone else in the thread. Not being patronizing at all, just trying to get off the argument and move on to more diverse conversation about Iowa.


Never thought I would see those 2 words in the same sentence.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby minnbills » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:17 pm

Opie wrote:In!


Congrats!!

apeopleshistory
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:14 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby apeopleshistory » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:24 pm

.
Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:26 pm

chrisbru wrote:Whatever, man. I was just trying to point out that it's annoying to everyone else in the thread. Not being patronizing at all, just trying to get off the argument and move on to more diverse conversation about Iowa.


I'm sure it's annoying to some, probably most, but maybe not everyone. It's certainly important stuff to think about. The rhythm of law school is that people take the LSAT, get really excited about where they might get in, get recruited by schools that use fake numbers, then they get in to school and everything kind of crashes. The job prospects are bad, and if you're at a school like Iowa, the place is losing professors left and right and falling in the rankings, and all of a sudden a lot of my 2L peers have buyers' remorse. We have to take care of each other, because the schools sure as hell aren't going to take care of us. A lot of my peers could have really, really used a thread like this with a guy like me posting the stuff I'm posting. I think getting this info out there is important, even if it means I'm kind of a downer in the sea of elation for people going through the process. I haven't presented anything, factually, that folks are disagreeing with. People just have different opinions on how to assess the information.

Long answer: sometimes people should pay more attention to annoying stuff, even if it makes them feel uncomfortable.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:30 pm

nickjive wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Whatever, man. I was just trying to point out that it's annoying to everyone else in the thread. Not being patronizing at all, just trying to get off the argument and move on to more diverse conversation about Iowa.


Never thought I would see those 2 words in the same sentence.


:lol: Valid point!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:12 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:There was a discussion earlier in this thread about the decision to attend Iowa and about contingent scholarships (e.g. have to finish in top 1/3rd or whatever to maintain it). As a current student, I'm a believer that people who get contingent scholarship offers at Iowa are better off going elsewhere. Now might be a good time, as folks are starting to get acceptances, to check out the discussion if you haven't already. It starts around post 55 of this thread, or right about here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=166010&start=50

sebastian0622 wrote:I'm certainly willing to drop the argument, but you being patronizing makes me want to continue it just to piss you off...

You are dropping the argument, whether you're willing to or not.

--ImageRemoved--

I recommend reading this before you post again: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146613

User avatar
nickjive
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby nickjive » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:23 pm

sebastian0622 wrote: You're not the thread police.


Thread police came. *insert COPS theme here*

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby neeko » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:39 pm

This thread always takes weird turns.

User avatar
Trojan228
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Trojan228 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:40 pm

chrisbru wrote:This is a really drawn out argument. Basic points:

*If your heart is set on big law, and you can get into a better school than Iowa, go.
*If you don't care about big law, Iowa is a decent choice
*In-state at Iowa is still ~$20k less per year than sticker at any other school.
*Plus, even a contingent scholarship for one year saves you $25k.


Look, this argument doesn't pertain to a good majority of people that are wanting to gain information from this forum. Going back and forth about it really hurts the purpose of this thread. You've both said your piece, and obviously disagree. Drop it.


+1

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:10 pm

This is a really drawn out argument. Basic points:

*If your heart is set on big law, and you can get into a better school than Iowa, go.
*If you don't care about big law, Iowa is a decent choice
*In-state at Iowa is still ~$20k less per year than sticker at any other school.
*Plus, even a contingent scholarship for one year saves you $25k.


Look, this argument doesn't pertain to a good majority of people that are wanting to gain information from this forum. Going back and forth about it really hurts the purpose of this thread. You've both said your piece, and obviously disagree. Drop it.


I've gotta say that I think, despite the fact that our argument is in an improper forum, comments like this or from people like Rammstein are more detrimental than Sebastian and I debating this topic. While we may disagree, we're both being respectful and addressing a valid topic. It's not like we're attacking each other and being petty. We're just debating opposing philosophies. While I disagree with lots of the stuff he says, he brought up aspects about the admissions process that I never thought to consider. Isn't it helpful for prospective students to truly think about the implications of contingent scholarships?

Thanks for pointing that out vanwinkle. I've gotta say though, I realize this argument is in the wrong thread, but why not let these threads be open to general discussion about the school? I may be wrong, but I don't think there is another school-specific prospective thread. Shouldn't we discuss the different aspects (both pros and cons) of a school so we can be as informed as possible?

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Congrats Opie!

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks everyone!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:53 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Thanks for pointing that out vanwinkle. I've gotta say though, I realize this argument is in the wrong thread, but why not let these threads be open to general discussion about the school? I may be wrong, but I don't think there is another school-specific prospective thread. Shouldn't we discuss the different aspects (both pros and cons) of a school so we can be as informed as possible?

Before this rule was imposed, scambloggers and other troublemakers would try to clog these threads. These threads are useless for disseminating info about acceptances and denials if every single one of them becomes a "don't go to X" thread. Conversation between actually accepted people and current students is given leeway, but I'll draw the line, for example, at someone threatening to continue just to piss people off.

Now, I would like discussion of this to cease here, and by that I mean I'll ban anyone else who raises the issue. If you'd like to talk about it more, PM me or hit the mod Q&A thread in the lounge.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Housing information will be sent to your email address after April 15.

What sort of housing info do they send out?

User avatar
40_Minus_1
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby 40_Minus_1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Opie wrote:
Housing information will be sent to your email address after April 15.

What sort of housing info do they send out?

Not sure, but anything they're going to send you is probably located in one of several places on their website.

--LinkRemoved-- :)

(I kid, I kid.)

User avatar
40_Minus_1
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby 40_Minus_1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:39 pm

Besides, it's hard to go too far wrong with housing here. There are only two places that you REALLY don't want to live, and they're nowhere near campus, anyway. Feel free to PM me for a surly townie's opinion on neighborhoods after you've found something.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Oh, I live with a surly towny. :D
I'm just wondering what they could possibly send out.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gaaooo, hoping4scholy, lawschoolapplicant9 and 12 guests