IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
traehekat

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby traehekat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Unless you absolutely want to work in Wisconsin or Marquette is substantially cheaper than Iowa, go to Iowa. Don't worry about libraries, sports, rankings, faculty, etc. The only things you should worry about are your job prospects coming out of law school and how much are you paying for those job prospects. Are you going to get a job, and if so, is it going to be in a region you want to work in? How much are you going to have to pay? This should be your focus. Law school is three years of your life and ultimately you won't really care how much fun you had tailgating and how cool your professors were or how many books and law review journals are in your library when you graduate with $150k in debt and no job. You should be doing everything in your power to avoid that situation, and it starts with where you choose to go to school.

Iowa places better than Marquette in general, and it places much better in states/cities like Iowa (go figure), Nebraska, Minnesota, and to a lesser extent Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, etc. I imagine Marquette places better than Iowa only in Wisconsin.

Don't want to derail thread anymore or anything, but I feel I should also suggest considering whether law school is a good idea at all. A fair number of students of the C/O 2013 seem to have done well as far as 2L summer employment goes, but I know a number of students who did extremely well and who are exceptionally personable/bright/interesting and somehow have struggled. It's very tough out there, so just understand there is a chance you could do everything "right" and end up with not much to show for it.

So yeah, best of luck, and if you do decide to "take the plunge" then between Iowa/Marquette definitely go with Iowa :D . I know I said job prospects are the only thing that counts, but if you find yourself in a position where it's close then you should know that Iowa attracts an awesome student body and it really does have a laid back/fun atmosphere to it. Law school will suck at times no matter what, and it's during those times you'll be thankful you go to Iowa where everyone is so supportive and easy going.

Trojan228

Postby Trojan228 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:11 pm

My thoughts on the JD / MBA route were for two reasons. One is to continue my education in business management, since I did enjoy it a lot; and second to help myself stand out to employers upon graduation. But you believe it may my be necessary? I'm interested in anyone's thoughts on this.

After hearing peoples thoughts on TLS and having my a chat with a Dean who had previously taught at Marquette, I have solidified in my mind the importance of Iowa's strong job prospects for their graduates. All I need to do is get accepted now... C'mon status checker! Thanks for the useful information everyone. I was pretty sure I'd like to stay in my hometown but now I'm certain.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Trojan228 wrote:My thoughts on the JD / MBA route were for two reasons. One is to continue my education in business management, since I did enjoy it a lot; and second to help myself stand out to employers upon graduation. But you believe it may my be necessary? I'm interested in anyone's thoughts on this.

After hearing peoples thoughts on TLS and having my a chat with a Dean who had previously taught at Marquette, I have solidified in my mind the importance of Iowa's strong job prospects for their graduates. All I need to do is get accepted now... C'mon status checker! Thanks for the useful information everyone. I was pretty sure I'd like to stay in my hometown but now I'm certain.

Look through TLS on this topic. A lot of employers will ding you BECAUSE you have an MBA. They see it as you not being committed to legal practice, which means you might leave the firm for some other option. They invest tens of thousands into each new associate, so any possible flight risk is a ding.

Trojan228

Postby Trojan228 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:57 am

Opie wrote:
Trojan228 wrote:My thoughts on the JD / MBA route were for two reasons. One is to continue my education in business management, since I did enjoy it a lot; and second to help myself stand out to employers upon graduation. But you believe it may my be necessary? I'm interested in anyone's thoughts on this.

Look through TLS on this topic. A lot of employers will ding you BECAUSE you have an MBA. They see it as you not being committed to legal practice, which means you might leave the firm for some other option. They invest tens of thousands into each new associate, so any possible flight risk is a ding.

Hmm I never thought of it like that. Good advice, thank you. Darn I was looking forward to the GMAT ..... oh well 8)

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:53 pm

Trojan228 wrote:
Trojan228 wrote:
Opie wrote:

Hmm I never thought of it like that. Good advice, thank you. Darn I was looking forward to the GMAT ..... oh well 8)

Manhattan has a free one if you want to take it for fun. You might find out that you're better able to get a top MBA than JD. The only joint program I would consider is the JD/MBA from Northwestern/Kellogg.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:30 pm

So, I'm really hoping that more acceptances start rolling out tomorrow. In years past, some have come early for well-qualified candidates that had their apps in really early, which we have seen. The rest have started trickling in about the time that corresponds with tomorrow. Anyone have any thoughts on this logic?

ETA: Also, anyone know about how much aid a person can expect. I'm really starting to worry about whether I can afford to go to Iowa just because of living expenses. I still have house payments to make.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Does anybody else have weird dates and blank info in their mailings section?

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:48 pm

minnbills wrote:Does anybody else have weird dates and blank info in their mailings section?

My mailings are completely blank. Is this a recent change? Can you screenshot it?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:48 am

Opie wrote:
minnbills wrote:Does anybody else have weird dates and blank info in their mailings section?

My mailings are completely blank. Is this a recent change? Can you screenshot it?

The dates are about a year off, the rest is blank.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:29 am

minnbills wrote:
Opie wrote:

The dates are about a year off, the rest is blank.

Did you apply last year?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:38 am

Opie wrote:The dates are about a year off, the rest is blank.

Did you apply last year?[/quote]

No, first time applicant. It's strange. I hadn't noticed if it was like this before either, so I'm not sure what to think.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:19 am

I dont have any dates or mailings, but I'm still complete since 10/31.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:48 am

minnbills wrote:
Opie wrote:The dates are about a year off, the rest is blank.

Did you apply last year?

No, first time applicant. It's strange. I hadn't noticed if it was like this before either, so I'm not sure what to think.[/quote]

I'd probably call if I were you. Their admissions people are way nice.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:29 am

Oh hai der. You seem familiar.

40_Minus_1

Postby 40_Minus_1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:27 pm

This is to announce that I am officially frustrated with waiting to hear back.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:34 pm

40_Minus_1 wrote:This is to announce that I am officially frustrated with waiting to hear back.

+1

40_Minus_1

Postby 40_Minus_1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:04 pm

And THIS is to announce that I'm no longer frustrated, 'cause I just got in. :)

JuneLSATFail

Postby JuneLSATFail » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 pm

40_Minus_1 wrote:And THIS is to announce that I'm no longer frustrated, 'cause I just got in. :)

Via email, status checker, or snail mail?

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:13 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:21 pm

40_Minus_1 wrote:And THIS is to announce that I'm no longer frustrated, 'cause I just got in. :)

Yay!

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Haha that was an epic 30 minute difference for you there

nickjive

Postby nickjive » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:29 pm

It's peanut butter jealous time

40_Minus_1

Postby 40_Minus_1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:36 pm

neeko wrote:

Yes. Yes, it was. :)

I'm in via status checker, no email yet. I'm not posting any numbers for ID reasons, in case I retake.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:40 pm

40_Minus_1 wrote:
neeko wrote:

Yes. Yes, it was. :)

I'm in via status checker, no email yet. I'm not posting any numbers for ID reasons, in case I retake.

Congrats! Will you PM them to those of us you know are real?? Pretty please?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Congrats!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”