IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:51 pm

TurkeyDay wrote:
Hahaha, I'd say you should include the 2+ hour break we have on Monday, typ3. :lol:

Boom, roasted. Who are you? I totally forgot... You should FB me.

We take 14 credits fall semester. We're in class 14 hours a week... That's the standard :)

Some have better schedules than others. For instance, my roommate has class starting at 8:30 am on Mondays, and his last class gets done at 4:30. Granted, he has a lot of breaks though.

I really like my schedule, because I don't have any big breaks, meaning I only have to be at the law building during times I have to be at class. Everyone has a light load on Thurs/Fri, 2 hours at most (I'm pretty sure).

I've heard that they flip schedules, so since I have late classes this semester, I'll have mostly 8:30/8:50 classes next semester, but I'm not sure the validity of it.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:52 pm

2L, taking questions

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Slimpee wrote:2L, taking questions

How excited are you for law night and FAC?

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Best close places to live without bugs or mold. Best profs to take classes from. What's with all the seminars that say arr. instead of the number of credits? Are those cool? They look awesome.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Also, how weird is the Deadwood with no smoking?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Opie wrote:

Best close places to live without bugs or mold. Best profs to take classes from. What's with all the seminars that say arr. instead of the number of credits? Are those cool? They look awesome.

Old Gold Court, Carriage Hill, Seville are all good from the people I know that live there.

Arr. means arranged... So it depends on the course that you're looking at, but they could be like research classes, internships for credit, etc.

I never went to Deadwood before the smoking ban, but I like the bar. The people that I know that have been there years ago indicate it hasn't changed much.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:03 pm

typ3 wrote:
Opie wrote:Intend to apply. LSAT Saturday. This is my target school. I can get in barring any screw ups Saturday, it's really about the $$$.

I'll echo chris on this. Assuming you get a 167 you'll get a full ride as an in-state resident with a top 3rd stipulation.

I'm in-state with a 167 and got a top 1/3rd stip full ride. I'm a 2L at Iowa now. My advice is: don't come here. There are a lot of good things about Iowa Law, Iowa City, and the state of Iowa, but there are too many reasons to go elsewhere if you score a 167.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:05 pm

Opie wrote:
typ3 wrote:
TurkeyDay wrote:
typ3 wrote:
My weekly schedule is: M-W 8:30 AM - 2:00pm straight with classes.

Lies.

Haha you caught me. Do I need to include the 25 minute / 10 minute breaks?

I didn't even see you post this.

It seems like you guys aren't actually in class that much. Obviously there's a lot of outside work, but it still doesn't seem like much in class time.

Law students in general aren't in class too much. I actually read somewhere that Iowa students spend more time in class than any other law students? A visiting professor also mentioned we are in class a lot more than students at his resident University.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:10 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
typ3 wrote:
Opie wrote:Intend to apply. LSAT Saturday. This is my target school. I can get in barring any screw ups Saturday, it's really about the $$$.

I'll echo chris on this. Assuming you get a 167 you'll get a full ride as an in-state resident with a top 3rd stipulation.

I'm in-state with a 167 and got a top 1/3rd stip full ride. I'm a 2L at Iowa now. My advice is: don't come here. There are a lot of good things about Iowa Law, Iowa City, and the state of Iowa, but there are too many reasons to go elsewhere if you score a 167.

Not if you have a wife and kids in Des Moines... Except maybe if you get Minnesota with similar $$$ or get into Northwestern. But if goal is go to law school, go back to DSM, stay close to family... Iowa is TCR.

ETA: GPA makes a big difference too... Iowa was the second best school I got into, and I couldn't justify the other school over my scholarship here.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Yeah, I would say wife and kids in Des Moines, assuming they are not willing to relocate or it's not in your collective best interest to relocate, would be a good reason to more strongly consider Iowa on scholarship. But that's not typical. Now if you are in that position and you are NOT offered an Iowa scholarship and want to stay in Iowa--and this pains me to say it--you could consider Drake assuming it would be on scholarship. It seems all the Des Moines firms at Iowa OCI also go to Drake OCI, and if you look on their websites they have just as many Drake grads as Iowa grads.

Drake will place similarly in Iowa. The big difference is that Iowa places better regionally/nationally, although if OCI is any indication here, those non-Iowa jobs are few and far between.

Me saying not to go to Iowa on contingent scholarship assumes that you got into schools like Vandy, Texas, USC, Cornell...which are the types I passed up...along with Wash U at half price. I would advise any prospective student without an atypical reason to attend Iowa to take any one of those options over a free ride at Iowa. Iowa has no home market, poor OCI prospects and regional firms are generally apathetic about the school compared to all the other Midwest schools ranked top 40ish.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:Yeah, I would say wife and kids in Des Moines, assuming they are not willing to relocate or it's not in your collective best interest to relocate, would be a good reason to more strongly consider Iowa on scholarship. But that's not typical. Now if you are in that position and you are NOT offered an Iowa scholarship and want to stay in Iowa--and this pains me to say it--you could consider Drake assuming it would be on scholarship. It seems all the Des Moines firms at Iowa OCI also go to Drake OCI, and if you look on their websites they have just as many Drake grads as Iowa grads.

Drake will place similarly in Iowa. The big difference is that Iowa places better regionally/nationally, although if OCI is any indication here, those non-Iowa jobs are few and far between.

Me saying not to go to Iowa on contingent scholarship assumes that you got into schools like Vandy, Texas, USC, Cornell...which are the types I passed up...along with Wash U at half price. I would advise any prospective student without an atypical reason to attend Iowa to take any one of those options over a free ride at Iowa. Iowa has no home market, poor OCI prospects and regional firms are generally apathetic about the school compared to all the other Midwest schools ranked top 40ish.

I totally agree that Iowa is probably not optimal for most people in my academic position. Being thirty with a house, two kids, and wife though is a totally different story.

I am applying to Drake, Iowa, and Northwestern on binding ED. I also plan to apply RD to the AJD program at Northwestern. I don't have a real LSAT score yet, so it's all hypothetical, but I think I'll be fine at any of those three schools because I never plan to practice outside the Des Moines area. I plan to retire in Iowa and build a cabin in NE Iowa.

So, in short, I get your point, but I'm not even applying to those other schools (except NU) and wouldn't go to them even if I got in.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Whereabouts in NE Iowa? I have an offer for a firm up that way that I'll probably take. Maybe you should keep in touch...

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:23 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:Whereabouts in NE Iowa? I have an offer for a firm up that way that I'll probably take. Maybe you should keep in touch...

I want to be near Harper's Ferry or McGregor. My honeymoon was in a cabin South of Harper's Ferry. I'll put time in in the Des Moines area to get my kids through high school, pay off the house, etc. That's my dream though. Cabin in the woods.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:12 am

sebastian0622 wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I think that advice is only fair provided a few things--

1.) You are ok with taking on crippling debt.
2.) You want to practice outside of the Midwest or want better placement in Chicago / Minneapolis (This being the case go to U of Minn).

It's been my experience here and my run in with your class that everyone seems to have a hard on for Chicago firm placement.

Anyone with a 167 instate with a reasonable GPA will get a full ride. As an out of stater with a high GPA and a 167 that is a full ride. I would rather take a JD with minimal to no debt from Iowa than one at a slightly higher ranked school with loads of debt.

A 167 isn't going to get you into a Top 6 school which would likely be worth the debt. If this were a student with a 170+ I would definitely say consider a T-14 school specifically UVA or Michigan with scholarship.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:33 am

typ3 wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:
typ3 wrote:

2.) You want to practice outside of the Midwest or want better placement in Chicago / Minneapolis (This being the case go to U of Minn).

It's been my experience here and my run in with your class that everyone seems to have a hard on for Chicago firm placement.

Anyone with a 167 instate with a reasonable GPA will get a full ride. As an out of stater with a high GPA and a 167 that is a full ride. I would rather take a JD with minimal to no debt from Iowa than one at a slightly higher ranked school with loads of debt.

A 167 isn't going to get you into a Top 6 school which would likely be worth the debt. If this were a student with a 170+ I would definitely say consider a T-14 school specifically UVA or Michigan with scholarship.

This is all a good contribution to the discussion. But keep in mind that law school isn't free outside of tuition. Even with a full ride at Iowa, you're going to end up in significant debt by the time you pay room and board, living expenses, books, parking (parking is atrociously inflated at Iowa considering that you're in a small city), transportation, and for some, day care. So you're not comparing $120k+ in debt from a higher ranked school to zero in debt at Iowa. You're comparing $120k+ debt from a higher ranked school to $40-$60k in debt from Iowa or more if you have daycare or other circumstances.

Considering how much big law salaries are and how much going to Iowa is going to hurt your chances of that vs. somewhere like Vanderbilt, that $60k or $80k difference doesn't look like much. I mean, if you want a $45k a year job at a lifestyle small firm or $65k - $85k in Des Moines, then Iowa offers that (to a minority of students, but certainly to a decent amount). But frankly, better schools offer those opportunities in secondary markets also. Wouldn't you rather be paying an extra $5k per year on your student loans and be offsetting that with $50k+ more in salary? If you're talking crippling debt, is $600 or $1000 a month more manageable with a $55k salary, or is $2000 more manageable with a $145,000 salary? If you're talking about where half of the class ends up after graduation, at Iowa you're talking about the former (assuming a scholarship) and at Vandy you're talking about the latter. Now if you're paying sticker at Iowa, good freakin' luck, kids. You're talking top school debt and mediocre placement--the worst of both worlds. This school seriously has so little national and regional clout that you are taking a huge gamble. The job market is bad, and big city firms are sticking with their home schools for talent.

A lot of this isn't speaking for myself, since I have no interest in biglaw or even really midlaw. I always planned to do family law or gov't or non-legal. But I think I'm the exception to the rule with extensive prior work experience and a wife who makes a lot of money, which provide two safety nets, so I'm trying to talk more to the typical applicant than about myself. I don't want people to make the same mistake I did. I got lucky as hell to hustle a job in the area I want to practice; that I got lucky absolutely does not in any way mean it was a good idea for me to enroll here.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:54 am

typ3 wrote:

.... Unless you had a 2.9 UG :evil:

A lot depends on your connections, desired market, etc. Post on here if you're an applicant and have specific questions about going to Iowa from where you're from/what you want to do/etc. Let's not make blanket statements here.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:11 am

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

.... Unless you had a 2.9 UG :evil:

A lot depends on your connections, desired market, etc. Post on here if you're an applicant and have specific questions about going to Iowa from where you're from/what you want to do/etc. Let's not make blanket statements here.

If I had a 2.9/170+, it would be NU all the way. :)

I'm still hoping for NU, but with a 3.6 GPA, I'm going to have to do better on the LSAT Saturday than I've ever done on a PT by about 4 points. 3 at least. So, I'm thinking it will probably be Iowa. I'm happy with that though. I like Iowa for a lot of non-law school reasons as well as some law-school reasons. I really need to visit the law school. I've never been to Boyd. Does anyone know if there are any videos out there?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:00 am

Check my initial post on the first page for a video.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:05 am

typ3 wrote:Check my initial post on the first page for a video.

d'oh! Thanks.
:oops:

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:29 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm3WVZneeuU

Is also available if you want to see more of the layout of the building-- although the video misses probably 2/3rds of the building.. but i can give you a general sense of the place.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:40 am

Opie wrote:

I'm still hoping for NU, but with a 3.6 GPA, I'm going to have to do better on the LSAT Saturday than I've ever done on a PT by about 4 points. 3 at least. So, I'm thinking it will probably be Iowa. I'm happy with that though. I like Iowa for a lot of non-law school reasons as well as some law-school reasons. I really need to visit the law school. I've never been to Boyd. Does anyone know if there are any videos out there?

Come visit sometime. Although I recommend going to admitted students weekend in March. Yeah, a lot of it is dry, but it's a great way to meet people in the incoming class (even if not all matriculate). I made some good connections while at ASW, and met my two roommates there.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:08 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:

Come visit sometime. Although I recommend going to admitted students weekend in March. Yeah, a lot of it is dry, but it's a great way to meet people in the incoming class (even if not all matriculate). I made some good connections while at ASW, and met my two roommates there.

I'll definitely be at ASW if I'm admitted. It's such a short drive to Iowa City, that there's no reason not to go.

That's a decent video too. Looks different than I expected.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:15 pm

I think our class should take the lead and rent out The Library or Union second semester for ASW. Sounds like a good reason to party it up and show prospective students how awesome Iowa is.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:21 pm

typ3 wrote:I think our class should take the lead and rent out The Library or Union second semester for ASW. Sounds like a good reason to party it up and show prospective students how awesome Iowa is.

If they don't have the grad student mixer that Friday like they did last year, then I agree with this.

We'll have to put the word out early that we're doing it though, so people don't book flights for Friday right after ASW events, like a lot did last year.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:32 pm

So, what all happens at the ASW? I'm picturing a cross between the movies Cedar Rapids and the Hangover.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”