IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Opie wrote:Thanks! I hate to offend them. I'll honestly probably take what they give me, but Mich. State is hounding the hell out of me to the tune of like 5 emails and a phone call. I'm assuming they'll give me a full ride. Drake probably will too. I'll need to take out all the aid I can get to pay for CoL and supplement my family, so I need the scholly.

Unfortunately, Iowa won't give a rat's ass about scholarships from Drake and MSU, even if they are full rides. Drake is a Tier 3 school, and Michigan State has only recently broken into second tier. It would need to be a peer school. Try sending apps to Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana-Bloomington, getting scholarships from them would be much better leverage.

nickjive wrote:I believe tomorrow's the last day to sign up for the Dec LSAT, but I want to do that about as much as I want a new asshole. I honestly don't think it would help me that much either; I PT'd a 163 once and the rest were all at or below my actual score.

I applied mid October so hopefully I'll be one of the first few IA residents they see.

This is what I meant, Opie, too late to sign up. Sorry that I wasn't more clear.

You'd have 4 weeks to study. It might be worth it just for scholarship money. If you don't do better, it's very unlikely to hurt you.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:27 pm

nickjive wrote:I believe tomorrow's the last day to sign up for the Dec LSAT, but I want to do that about as much as I want a new asshole. I honestly don't think it would help me that much either; I PT'd a 163 once and the rest were all at or below my actual score.

I applied mid October so hopefully I'll be one of the first few IA residents they see.

Even luck can get you 1-2 pts sometimes, but I totally understand not wanting to take it again. Being early really is where you get the most in-state boost because they don't know how many in-state apps they'll get.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:28 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Unfortunately, Iowa won't give a rat's ass about scholarships from Drake and MSU, even if they are full rides. Drake is a Tier 3 school, and Michigan State has only recently broken into second tier. It would need to be a peer school. Try sending apps to Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana-Bloomington, getting scholarships from them would be much better leverage.

Darn. I'll apply to some more peer schools if I get waivers. I am applying to W&M, which is peer. It's not in the region, but maybe it will help.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:41 pm

Okay good. For a second I was questioning your judgment. It's that 'tar. It looks so serious.

Obviously, Drake is my safety. Since I own a home in Des Moines and have a wife and two kids though, it might be a decent option. I want to practice in Des Moines and it doesn't place poorly here.

I'm not anti-Drake at all. For those of us who wish to stay in the state, it really isn't a bad option. Especially for you, I would think Drake would be pretty nice (although I did read your reservations earlier in the thread).

I think our numbers would make Drake a very attractive choice, but hopefully Iowa will throw some money our way!

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:16 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Okay good. For a second I was questioning your judgment. It's that 'tar. It looks so serious.

Obviously, Drake is my safety. Since I own a home in Des Moines and have a wife and two kids though, it might be a decent option. I want to practice in Des Moines and it doesn't place poorly here.

I'm not anti-Drake at all. For those of us who wish to stay in the state, it really isn't a bad option. Especially for you, I would think Drake would be pretty nice (although I did read your reservations earlier in the thread).

I think our numbers would make Drake a very attractive choice, but hopefully Iowa will throw some money our way!

I agree! I think Drake is somewhat underrated. Presently it's at the top of the third tier, but I think if it were bigger or in a better market it would be firmly in tier 2.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:07 am

Can someone explain these status checkers a little more to me? I don't feel like I'm properly obsessing.

I get the impression that I am supposed to get something from admissions explaining what to do?

neeko

Postby neeko » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:34 am

Opie wrote:Can someone explain these status checkers a little more to me? I don't feel like I'm properly obsessing.

I get the impression that I am supposed to get something from admissions explaining what to do?

You'll get an email from admissions with the link to the checker. It will show complete, in review, then the decision, or decision rendered while you wait for the mail.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:42 am

neeko wrote:
Opie wrote:Can someone explain these status checkers a little more to me? I don't feel like I'm properly obsessing.

You'll get an email from admissions with the link to the checker. It will show complete, in review, then the decision, or decision rendered while you wait for the mail.

Awesome, thanks!

And I just got the email from another school. Their's looks a little different, but seems to follow the same general theme.

40_Minus_1

Postby 40_Minus_1 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Some information from the Iowa admissions office. The applications that they've received have just recently been checked out to the reviewers, but the reviews themselves haven't taken place yet. They anticipate doing so over the next two weeks, with a final decision taking as long as two weeks after that.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:26 pm

If my math serves me right...that could be as long as 4 weeks!!!

I want my decision next week. I always get what I want. Therefore, I will get my decision next week.

Sorry to discredit your post 40_Minus_1, but my logic is infallible.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:30 pm

First wave almost always comes last week of November / First week of December so stow away your anxiety.. it's just wasted energy until those weeks.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:01 pm

typ3 wrote:First wave almost always comes last week of November / First week of December so stow away your anxiety.. it's just wasted energy until those weeks.

Should I expect first wave, or do you think mine will be later?

40_Minus_1

Postby 40_Minus_1 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:25 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:If my math serves me right...that could be as long as 4 weeks!!!

I want my decision next week. I always get what I want. Therefore, I will get my decision next week.

Sorry to discredit your post 40_Minus_1, but my logic is infallible.

I like the cut of your jib.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Opie wrote:
typ3 wrote:First wave almost always comes last week of November / First week of December so stow away your anxiety.. it's just wasted energy until those weeks.

Should I expect first wave, or do you think mine will be later?

You're a resident with decent numbers so I would expect first wave, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was second wave given when you submitted.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Umm.. How bout those hawks?

40_Minus_1

Postby 40_Minus_1 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:19 am

Opie wrote:Umm.. How bout those hawks?

Well, I *did* get a phone call with an implied full ride to Michigan State, and they've clearly got the better football team. Naw, I'll stick with Iowa.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:52 am

40_Minus_1 wrote:

Well, I *did* get a phone call with an implied full ride to Michigan State, and they've clearly got the better football team. Naw, I'll stick with Iowa.

Very interesting! Who was this phone call from? I did get one the other day from a student, but she said they hadn't seen my GPA yet, just LSAT.

How was the full ride implied?

I'll stick with Iowa too though barring anything crazy.

40_Minus_1

Postby 40_Minus_1 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Opie wrote:
40_Minus_1 wrote:

Very interesting! Who was this phone call from? I did get one the other day from a student, but she said they hadn't seen my GPA yet, just LSAT.

How was the full ride implied?

I'll stick with Iowa too though barring anything crazy.

Mine was from a law student as well (named Molly) who worked in the Dean's office, and the implied offer is probably better stated as an "information of eligibility" based on my GPA and LSAT. Nothing was guaranteed, of course.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:29 pm

I've heard the same from Michigan State. They keep contacting me from the Dean's office informing me that I would be a strong candidate for their full-tuition scholarships. Unofrtunately, Michigan State isn't really strong enough to place well outside of Michigan and I have no intention of living there. I must say though, they are very persistent and convincing.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:33 pm

I don't want to talk about it.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Molly was who called me too. FWIW she sounds hot. Oh, wait.. Iowa city. Nevermind.

I don't really plan on going to MSU either, but I thought I'd see what they throw my way. Curiousity alone is worth $16 IMO.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:28 am

All of my apps are finally in. What a wonderful feeling.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:44 am

Where all did you apply to?

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:34 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Where all did you apply to?

Iowa, Drake, Michigan State, and W&M. You?

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:35 am

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Where all did you apply to?

Iowa, Drake, Michigan State, and W&M. You?

ETA: got my ISIS log in today! Now I just need the password. :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”