IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
40_Minus_1
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby 40_Minus_1 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 pm

nickjive wrote:
40_Minus_1 wrote:I'm in-state. That may make a difference.


I'm in-state too. When did you submit? (Stuck at "application received"--last updated 11/3)

I hit submit at 5:35pm on 11/1. For the record, I didn't just happen to know that off the top of my head - I had to go look it up.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:15 pm

40_Minus_1 wrote:Howdy, fellow prospective Iowegians. I'm in review here, too. Scheduled to retake the LSAT in December, but may not actually need to follow through with it if I hear back good (enough) news from Iowa before that. Here's hoping it's sooner rather than later.


Keep the Dec LSAT. Even if you get into Iowa, a higher score means potential at more scholarship money.


Trojan228 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Trojan228 wrote:https://aces2.law.uiowa.edu/Membership/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fHome%2fHomeSummary.aspx

OK so I think thats it. Sorry I didn't see this, I've been playing MW3 beerpong and hitting on undergrads alllll day


FTFgoingtoabigtenschool



Nah man, I've been playing modern warfare 3 all day. Went to the University of Arizona; plenty of sunshine and parties there and I'm excited to visit again this spring for some basketball games. On days like this I miss 355 days of sunshine a year


Sorry... FTF means "fixed this for." I was making a joke.

User avatar
nickjive
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby nickjive » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:32 pm

If we submitted mid/late October, could we find out before Thanksgiving? (Graph on the first page isn't precise enough for my impatience and anxiety).

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:39 pm

nickjive wrote:If we submitted mid/late October, could we find out before Thanksgiving? (Graph on the first page isn't precise enough for my impatience and anxiety).


It's possible, but hard to tell for sure.

User avatar
40_Minus_1
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby 40_Minus_1 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:10 pm

chrisbru wrote:
40_Minus_1 wrote:Howdy, fellow prospective Iowegians. I'm in review here, too. Scheduled to retake the LSAT in December, but may not actually need to follow through with it if I hear back good (enough) news from Iowa before that. Here's hoping it's sooner rather than later.


Keep the Dec LSAT. Even if you get into Iowa, a higher score means potential at more scholarship money.


Well, yeah. What I mean is I may be in the full-ride range already. If so, whoopee, and such.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Submitted as of 4:22 TODAY!

So, any guesses on when I'll hear/$?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Opie wrote:Submitted as of 4:22 TODAY!

So, any guesses on when I'll hear/$?


I'd say before Christmas!

User avatar
nickjive
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby nickjive » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:19 pm

What kind of admission boost (if any) do IA residents get?

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:28 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:Submitted as of 4:22 TODAY!

So, any guesses on when I'll hear/$?


I'd say before Christmas!


Woo hoo! What about $? 164/3.57 (I'll have 3 more As by the time schollys come out.)
IA resident.

Another question. When is ASW? Not trying to be iverconfident, but I'm taking off work and we bid for days off.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:31 pm

nickjive wrote:What kind of admission boost (if any) do IA residents get?


I'm not sure how much it is, but there is a boost due to the 51% resident requirement.

User avatar
nickjive
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby nickjive » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:37 pm

Opie wrote:
nickjive wrote:What kind of admission boost (if any) do IA residents get?


I'm not sure how much it is, but there is a boost due to the 51% resident requirement.



Sweeeeeet. I don't really care about getting scholarship offers. Paying in-state tuition versus out of state or private school tuition is basically a huge, guaranteed scholarship. That's how I, at least, look at it! :D

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:52 pm

ASW last year was around the 18th of March IIRC.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:20 pm

typ3 wrote:ASW last year was around the 18th of March IIRC.


You helped me find the next one. March 22/23.

Now I need to find it for Drake. I'm having trouble getting that one.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:20 am

Update: Drake's isn't listed yet.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:48 am

Now I need to find it for Drake. I'm having trouble getting that one.


Woah. I think you may be a little overconfident assuming you can get into Drake with those numbers.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:31 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Now I need to find it for Drake. I'm having trouble getting that one.


Woah. I think you may be a little overconfident assuming you can get into Drake with those numbers.


I'm assuming this was a joke right? :lol:

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:39 am

Opie wrote:
Woo hoo! What about $? 164/3.57 (I'll have 3 more As by the time schollys come out.)
IA resident.

Another question. When is ASW? Not trying to be iverconfident, but I'm taking off work and we bid for days off.


I'm not sure about that one... You're a very sight splitter, being over LSAT median but slightly under GPA. Being IA is good though. You'll probably get something, but pretty late in the cycle.


nickjive wrote:What kind of admission boost (if any) do IA residents get?


I've heard different theories, like 3 LSAT points and .2 GPA, but nothing has been publicly confirmed. What are your numbers, we can better judge how you specifically will do than in general.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:52 am

chrisbru wrote:I'm not sure about that one... You're a very sight splitter, being over LSAT median but slightly under GPA. Being IA is good though. You'll probably get something, but pretty late in the cycle.


If it helps at all, I'll be a 3.59 by February most likely. I know it's only .02, but that puts me .03 under median instead of .05.

Any idea how one goes about negotiating a better scholly? I know you have to have other options first, but I'm assuming I will.

User avatar
nickjive
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby nickjive » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:05 pm

chrisbru wrote:

nickjive wrote:What kind of admission boost (if any) do IA residents get?


I've heard different theories, like 3 LSAT points and .2 GPA, but nothing has been publicly confirmed. What are your numbers, we can better judge how you specifically will do than in general.


159, 3.5; Master's degree and 2 years WE. I know I'm out for any type of scholarships, but I'm hoping my residency, WE, and softs will help me out. It also doesn't hurt that this cycle will be extremely unpredictable with the drastic decrease in LSAT takers. It's a toss up but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!
Last edited by nickjive on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:44 pm

nickjive wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

nickjive wrote:What kind of admission boost (if any) do IA residents get?


I've heard different theories, like 3 LSAT points and .2 GPA, but nothing has been publicly confirmed. What are your numbers, we can better judge how you specifically will do than in general.


159, 3.5; Master's degree and 2 years WE (as a teacher) in Iowa. I know I'm out for any type of scholarships, but I'm hoping my residency, WE, and softs will help me out. It also doesn't hurt that this cycle will be extremely unpredictable with the drastic decrease in LSAT takers. It's a toss up but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!


Have you tried retaking? 1-2 points is probably all you need.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm assuming this was a joke right?


Lol totally

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:53 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
I'm assuming this was a joke right?


Lol totally


Okay good. For a second I was questioning your judgment. It's that 'tar. It looks so serious.

Obviously, Drake is my safety. Since I own a home in Des Moines and have a wife and two kids though, it might be a decent option. I want to practice in Des Moines and it doesn't place poorly here.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Opie wrote:If it helps at all, I'll be a 3.59 by February most likely. I know it's only .02, but that puts me .03 under median instead of .05.

Any idea how one goes about negotiating a better scholly? I know you have to have other options first, but I'm assuming I will.


To be fair, it probably won't matter much come February.

There are some good negotiation threads on here, I'll try to dig some up. But it's easy enough to shoot an email that (more professionally and eloquently) essentially says "I'd really like to attend Iowa law because X, X, and X. However, financial burden is of concern to me because X and X. A few other schools are more affordable, and I was wondering if there was a possibility to reevaluate my scholarship award."

Someone probably has a better way to word that. I'll try and dig out one that I wrote.


nickjive wrote:159, 3.5; Master's degree and 2 years WE (as a teacher) in Iowa. I know I'm out for any type of scholarships, but I'm hoping my residency, WE, and softs will help me out. It also doesn't hurt that this cycle will be extremely unpredictable with the drastic decrease in LSAT takers. It's a toss up but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!


You have a good shot of getting in. Master's and WE probably don't matter too much, but your Iowa residency is what really gives you a shot. Depending on how many Iowans apply, you may be an initial wait list.

In any case... Get that app in ASAP if you haven't yet. Sooner = much better chance at admission.

ETA: Opie's right though... Just bumping that over 161 will give you a significantly better chance. Retake in December if you can (not sure if its too late?) Even February may help you get off the wait list, but I wouldn't bank on that.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:06 pm

chrisbru wrote:
To be fair, it probably won't matter much come February.


That's what I figured, but you never know. :)

chrisbru wrote:There are some good negotiation threads on here, I'll try to dig some up. But it's easy enough to shoot an email that (more professionally and eloquently) essentially says "I'd really like to attend Iowa law because X, X, and X. However, financial burden is of concern to me because X and X. A few other schools are more affordable, and I was wondering if there was a possibility to reevaluate my scholarship award."

Someone probably has a better way to word that. I'll try and dig out one that I wrote.


Thanks! I hate to offend them. I'll honestly probably take what they give me, but Mich. State is hounding the hell out of me to the tune of like 5 emails and a phone call. I'm assuming they'll give me a full ride. Drake probably will too. I'll need to take out all the aid I can get to pay for CoL and supplement my family, so I need the scholly.

chrisbru wrote:You have a good shot of getting in. Master's and WE probably don't matter too much, but your Iowa residency is what really gives you a shot. Depending on how many Iowans apply, you may be an initial wait list.

In any case... Get that app in ASAP if you haven't yet. Sooner = much better chance at admission.

ETA: Opie's right though... Just bumping that over 161 will give you a significantly better chance. Retake in December if you can (not sure if its too late?) Even February may help you get off the wait list, but I wouldn't bank on that.


I don't think December is too late. I've seen videos of Dean Byrd saying January 15 is when you stop having a real shot at getting in, so if you can retake in Dec and get the app in ASAP, you could have a good shot. OR submit now and retake to get off WL. I doubt they'll outright ding you if you have residency.

User avatar
nickjive
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby nickjive » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:18 pm

I believe tomorrow's the last day to sign up for the Dec LSAT, but I want to do that about as much as I want a new asshole. I honestly don't think it would help me that much either; I PT'd a 163 once and the rest were all at or below my actual score.

I applied mid October so hopefully I'll be one of the first few IA residents they see.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”