IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:11 am

I too am considering Drake if I can get the Opperman Scholarship. There's nothing like low debt and built in connections. I plan to practice in Des Moines anyway, so portability is no issue, and $10k would mostly cover my living expenses since I own a house and have a wife with at $40k job here.

And you're right, $40-60k a year with low debt is plenty to start out in Des Moines. You'll want more eventually, but that can be had if you're any good at practicing law.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:47 pm

TBH in your situation I think a full at Drake would be an excellent option. Especially since your kids and wife are there and you already own a house..

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:28 pm

typ3 wrote:TBH in your situation I think a full at Drake would be an excellent option. Especially since your kids and wife are there and you already own a house..

Agreed.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:58 pm

I think so too, but here's the thing. It's IMPOSSIBLE to study at my house. And my wife gets grumpy with me if I'm home and I'm not helping out, scolding the kids with her, paying attention to them. So, I'm thinking academically, I would do better at Iowa, away from all of that. She actually agrees.

Just got a fee waiver from Iowa today. Any thoughts on this form? I've never seen that before.

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Is anyone in review yet?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:17 am

Opie wrote:I think so too, but here's the thing. It's IMPOSSIBLE to study at my house. And my wife gets grumpy with me if I'm home and I'm not helping out, scolding the kids with her, paying attention to them. So, I'm thinking academically, I would do better at Iowa, away from all of that. She actually agrees.

Just got a fee waiver from Iowa today. Any thoughts on this form? I've never seen that before.

Is it a form? Fee waivers are nice. I totally took advantage of fee waivers.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:53 am

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:I think so too, but here's the thing. It's IMPOSSIBLE to study at my house. And my wife gets grumpy with me if I'm home and I'm not helping out, scolding the kids with her, paying attention to them. So, I'm thinking academically, I would do better at Iowa, away from all of that. She actually agrees.

Is it a form? Fee waivers are nice. I totally took advantage of fee waivers.

Yeah, it's easy enough to fill out. It's like an application for a fee waiver. I just think it's odd that they would send me a fee waiver based on numbers they know I have and in the same email ask me to fill out an application for it. It's probably because they're a state school or something. I know State of Iowa puts some weird restrictions on them.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:57 am

After my first LSAT, I asked for a fee waiver and they sent me a form that required me to send in evidence of either a 164 (I believe) or above LSAT or a 3.8 or above LSAC GPA in order to recieve one.

After my second LSAT, however, they sent me the same thing as you. It was an email saying they would waive my application fee along with an application. It didn't make sense to me. Nevertheless I filled it out, scanned it, and sent it in. They then sent me an email and applied my fee waiver to my account literally within minutes.

I know they say they only allow a certain number of fee waivers. Maybe this application is done in order to both track and limit how many they actually give (under the assumption some emails they send won't be used)? Whatever the case, I'd recommend sending in the form. It took about a minute to fill out and they were very quick in their response.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:32 am

Yeah, I'll for sure send it in. It's basically just contact info. I think you're right that they only want to give them to people who will use them.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:33 am

There was a great article in the register Thursday that I will try to post later. It says that Iowa has actually seen an increase in apps despite Drake and Creighton (and lots if other places) having less. Do you think maybe it is in a rankings "sweet spot" where it's not out of reach, but it still has job prospects?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:45 am

I just submitted all of my apps (Iowa, Drake, Illinois, Minnesota, and Marquette) and was wondering if I need to do anything further in regards to scholarships. Do you need to fill out any sort of form or application specifically for scholarships? I'm mainly only concerned with Iowa.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:01 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:I just submitted all of my apps (Iowa, Drake, Illinois, Minnesota, and Marquette) and was wondering if I need to do anything further in regards to scholarships. Do you need to fill out any sort of form or application specifically for scholarships? I'm mainly only concerned with Iowa.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing else to do with Iowa and I know that there isn't with Drake.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:44 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:I just submitted all of my apps (Iowa, Drake, Illinois, Minnesota, and Marquette) and was wondering if I need to do anything further in regards to scholarships. Do you need to fill out any sort of form or application specifically for scholarships? I'm mainly only concerned with Iowa.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing else to do with Iowa and I know that there isn't with Drake.

Same with the Illinois and Minnesota. You'll be automatically considered for scholarships. I'm not positive about Marquette, but would assume its similar.

Opie wrote:There was a great article in the register Thursday that I will try to post later. It says that Iowa has actually seen an increase in apps despite Drake and Creighton (and lots if other places) having less. Do you think maybe it is in a rankings "sweet spot" where it's not out of reach, but it still has job prospects?

Possible. Also might just be that people are applying to Tier 2-4 schools less these days in general.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:10 am

I don't know if I would call it a ranking sweet spot. Iowa is ranked very highly for it's LSAT/GPA numbers (reason being is it is considered by its peers and the profession as a very good school and that counts for a large portion of USNews rankings). Most importantly, is the cost of living + cost of tuition is significantly less than schools with a similar ranking.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 am

I'm very excited. I should be submitting today. Putting the final touches on my PS tonight. I would have done it yesterday, but I'm waiting on my fee waiver to come back. I'm guessing that will be today.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:49 am

Congrats!

Did you answer all 5 questions in your PS? I didn't really manage to address the question that asked about your greatest accomplishment and am hoping it won't detract from the strength of my PS. I answered the other 4 questions, but the 5th one couldn't fit with the flow of my PS at all. My whole PS was a story exemplifying my drive and why I want to attend Iowa Law, and it felt pretty clumsy saying, "Oh yeah, here is my greatest accomplishment in life!"

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:37 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Congrats!

Did you answer all 5 questions in your PS? I didn't really manage to address the question that asked about your greatest accomplishment and am hoping it won't detract from the strength of my PS. I answered the other 4 questions, but the 5th one couldn't fit with the flow of my PS at all. My whole PS was a story exemplifying my drive and why I want to attend Iowa Law, and it felt pretty clumsy saying, "Oh yeah, here is my greatest accomplishment in life!"

Hrm... I don't think I even noticed that there were questions to answer. I don't remember for sure though.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:17 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Congrats!

I got most of them in my standard statement. I'm working on making it Iowa specific tonight. I'll probably have a couple of proofreaders look at it and then submit. I got opinions from about five people yesterday and they all said the same kinds if things, so I think they're probably right.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:53 pm

I didn't answer one of the questions I believe or I lightly touched it. HTH.

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:05 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:Have any of you gotten your status checkers yet?

I have mine. All it says is application received, though.

brupe

Postby brupe » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:00 am

Yeah, mine just says Application Received, but at the top of the page it says don't expect anything until the beginning of December.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:10 am

brupe wrote:Yeah, mine just says Application Received, but at the top of the page it says don't expect anything until the beginning of December.

It'll still likely be one of the earliest decisions you receive though.

neeko

Postby neeko » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:17 am

chrisbru wrote:
brupe wrote:Yeah, mine just says Application Received, but at the top of the page it says don't expect anything until the beginning of December.

It'll still likely be one of the earliest decisions you receive though.

If you remember, how long did it take to go from in review to decision?

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Any scholarship chance? If not, I don't think that I'm going to apply. Fee waiver or not.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”