IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:40 pm

typ3 wrote:
If nothing else you may be able to find some outside scholarships. Even if it's for a paltry amount I would still apply for them. Extra money in law school is like gold.

On this note.. I think I'm renting a snowcone machine for Saturday.

I like this idea. Everyone loves snocones. You should wait til a tailgate weekend though.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:14 pm

typ3 wrote:
Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:Intend to apply. LSAT Saturday. This is my target school. I can get in barring any screw ups Saturday, it's really about the $$$.

IA resident + your stats (especially if you meet or exceed your LSAT goal) should mean good money.

ETA: Your index with your targeted LSAT is 180.5206. That index got a full tuition scholarship the last 6 cycles it looks like. I got one as an IA resident splitter (171/2.94)

I havent been making target lately on PTs, but I think I have a good shot at the 162 I got yesterday even. Not for a full ride, but at least affordable.

If nothing else you may be able to find some outside scholarships. Even if it's for a paltry amount I would still apply for them. Extra money in law school is like gold.

Very true. Iowa is cheap enough for in state that really I could pay sticker if I had to.

typ3 wrote:On this note.. I think I'm renting a snowcone machine for Saturday.

You're a madman. I miss watching the games. I work Saturdays now.

Edit: punctuation

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Opie wrote:
typ3 wrote:
typ3 wrote:On this note.. I think I'm renting a snowcone machine for Saturday.

You're a madman. I miss watching the games. I work Saturdays now.

Edit: punctuation

The snow cone machine isn't for the game.. it's for law school shenanigans. I'm not dragging a snow cone machine down to tailgate. Especially since every game is at 11 am it seems. I might just buy a snow cone stand from best buy and make the 3 year investment. I need to get to building this outdoor bar. I've never had a jolly rancher vodka snowcone. This could have success written all over it.

And our class needs to get to renting out union or the library for a VIP party. I'm thinking the first week in November as a final send off before people hunker down.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:53 pm

typ3 wrote:
The snow cone machine isn't for the game.. it's for law school shenanigans. I'm not dragging a snow cone machine down to tailgate. Especially since every game is at 11 am it seems. I might just buy a snow cone stand from best buy and make the 3 year investment. I need to get to building this outdoor bar. I've never had a jolly rancher vodka snowcone. This could have success written all over it.

And our class needs to get to renting out union or the library for a VIP party. I'm thinking the first week in November as a final send off before people hunker down.

We already did Union VIP party this year. I'd be down for library, but they don't really have a big area for a group our size. Maybe the very upstairs?

ETA: I see you are as tuned in to class as I am right now.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:58 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

We already did Union VIP party this year. I'd be down for library, but they don't really have a big area for a group our size. Maybe the very upstairs?

Ballsy considering the hotseat of the moment is right next to me.

I know we did Union VIP-- I'm saying we need to do another one. I assume that with enough people we can just rent it out. ISBA is renting out the top floor of summit for Halloween as far as I know of.

edit: I'm glad that our endless banter has shifted from the 2011 thread to here. I'm waiting for the mods to issue a warning to us for our incessant sidetracking and discussion of ongoing Iowa Law events rather than the admissions and acceptances.... In other words, prospective applicants start posting questions.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:15 pm

typ3 wrote:

I know we did Union VIP-- I'm saying we need to do another one. I assume that with enough people we can just rent it out. ISBA is renting out the top floor of summit for Halloween as far as I know of.

edit: I'm glad that our endless banter has shifted from the 2011 thread to here. I'm waiting for the mods to issue a warning to us for our incessant sidetracking and discussion of ongoing Iowa Law events rather than the admissions and acceptances.... In other words, prospective applicants start posting questions.

Agreed about another one. Let's solicit library... Might be able to get a good deal since they are a new venue that desperately needs to get a loyal over 21 crowd, since I doubt their underage exception will survive past the 6-month grace period.

ANNNND we're back on track:

Make sure to be pretty thorough in what you submit for legal charges, probabtions from schools, etc. Otherwise you'll have to meet with the dean the first two or three weeks of school, write an amendment for anything you forgot, and submit for a second review. It's pretty painless, but a hassle.

So, if you have any questions about whether or not you should disclose something, PLEASE ASK US! We'll gladly help out.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:23 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Edit: Endless shenanigans: do those occur mostly on the weekend? I'm concerned because I plan to come home to Des Moines on the weekends.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Opie wrote:
Edit: Endless shenanigans: do those occur mostly on the weekend? I'm concerned because I plan to come home to Des Moines on the weekends only on away games, once a month at most.

FTFY.

To be honest, you'll miss out on class bonding if you go home EVERY weekend. Hawkeye tailgating and home games are a huge social event, and one of the best experiences you will ever have. However, if you have to go home for obligations or the like, there are other things that go on. My typical social schedule:

Thursday: Law night every week hosted by one of the professional fraternities. This is the biggest weekly gathering of law students in one place, so if you go to this and go home Friday after class you'll still fit your socializing in
Friday: FAC (Friday after class) from 4-8 or so. Bars later on at night, depending on if there is an early game on Saturday
Saturday: ]Tailgating in the morning, then game, then post game college football at a bar downtown, then nap time, then back out to the bars around 10pm or so.
Sunday: Watching football while studying, then we have group dinner with a small group of friends
Monday: Monday night football, occasional organized social event
Tuesday: Typically not much socially, studying, occasional event
Wednesday: Flag football game, drinks afterwards

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:36 pm

IMO Thursday night and Saturday tailgating / night are the two biggest social days. Third being Friday and I don't know why FAC hasn't been larger this year but I have an inkling its been due to all the 11am football start times.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:42 pm

typ3 wrote:IMO Thursday night and Saturday tailgating / night are the two biggest social days. Third being Friday and I don't know why FAC hasn't been larger this year but I have an inkling its been due to all the 11am football start times.

Once football is over/on away game weekends FAC will pick up a lot... Although maybe not leading up to finals. Next semester I expect FAC to take off right away.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 pm

I should be okay then I think. I ONLY watch the Hawks for football, no pro or other games, and I don't study with other people. Plus, I'm 30 and have been part of the IC scene for years, so it's not really novel for me. I'm mostly interested in events for law students only.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Opie wrote:I should be okay then I think. I ONLY watch the Hawks for football, no pro or other games, and I don't study with other people. Plus, I'm 30 and have been part of the IC scene for years, so it's not really novel for me. I'm mostly interested in events for law students only.

You'll still miss out on law school tailgates then, but try to make it to law night on Thursdays.

We have a guy who is 30, married, with a kid, and he's still connected. He'll come out when he has time, participates in our fantasy football league, etc.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:07 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:I should be okay then I think. I ONLY watch the Hawks for football, no pro or other games, and I don't study with other people. Plus, I'm 30 and have been part of the IC scene for years, so it's not really novel for me. I'm mostly interested in events for law students only.

You'll still miss out on law school tailgates then, but try to make it to law night on Thursdays.

We have a guy who is 30, married, with a kid, and he's still connected. He'll come out when he has time, participates in our fantasy football league, etc.

I'll be there all week. Definitely Thursday night. Probably some Friday nights. Some tailgates. Maybe some full weekends.

I have a wife and two kids that will be in Des Moines.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Opie wrote:
I'll be there all week. Definitely Thursday night. Probably some Friday nights. Some tailgates. Maybe some full weekends.

This makes sense then. And, you're also probably looking for different kinds of social interaction than us 22-25 yr old single people. You definitely won't feel left out, if your class is anything like ours.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:59 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:

This makes sense then. And, you're also probably looking for different kinds of social interaction than us 22-25 yr old single people. You definitely won't feel left out, if your class is anything like ours.

Btw I fully expect us to continually keep this thread at the top of the Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists forum. If that requires 4 am checking of the thread-- so be it.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:31 pm

typ3 wrote:
Btw I fully expect us to continually keep this thread at the top of the Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists forum. If that requires 4 am checking of the thread-- so be it.

Deal:

More useful information - Iowa's law class must be 50% or more Iowa residents, so residents get a bump. If you need help submitting a residency verification form, let me know... I had to do it when living in Seattle, where I moved after growing up and going to UG in Iowa.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:37 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Deal:

More useful information - Iowa's law class must be 50% or more Iowa residents, so residents get a bump. If you need help submitting a residency verification form, let me know... I had to do it when living in Seattle, where I moved after growing up and going to UG in Iowa.

Thanks! I don't think I'll need help as my UG is in Iowa and I have lived here for like 5 years now (spent 7 in FL, grew up and went to HS here).

Edit: have been flipping through the course offerings at Iowa all day at work today and it has made me even more in love with it.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Sorry for the double post.

Can anyone better explain how course selection/scheduling works at Iowa? Obviously 1L is mostly set, but my favorite hobby is planning out what to take 2 and 3L.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:43 pm

Opie wrote:Sorry for the double post.

Can anyone better explain how course selection/scheduling works at Iowa? Obviously 1L is mostly set, but my favorite hobby is planning out what to take 2 and 3L.

1L first semester is set for you completely. You'll get a letter in late July/early August telling you what section you're in, who else is in your section, and your class schedule. You'll take an intro week course (1 credit, pass/fail), Torts, Contracts, Property (4 credits) and Legal Analysis, Writing, and Research (2 credits). For example, my class schedule is:

LAWR: T/W 11:30-12:30
Torts: M/T/W 12:40-2:00
Contracts: M/T/W 2:20-3:40
Property: R/F 10:30-12:30

Second semester you'll take all classes except one with that section, and those classes will be set for you as well. LAWR II (2 credits) Criminal law, Civil Procedure, and Constitutional Law (3 or 4 credits, I don't know for sure). You'll also take one 3 credit elective course.

As for 2L and 3L course selection, I'll have to defer to an older student.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:08 pm

chrisbru wrote:

1L first semester is set for you completely. You'll get a letter in late July/early August telling you what section you're in, who else is in your section, and your class schedule. You'll take an intro week course (1 credit, pass/fail), Torts, Contracts, Property (4 credits) and Legal Analysis, Writing, and Research (2 credits). For example, my class schedule is:

Second semester you'll take all classes except one with that section, and those classes will be set for you as well. LAWR II (2 credits) Criminal law, Civil Procedure, and Constitutional Law (3 or 4 credits, I don't know for sure). You'll also take one 3 credit elective course.

Your 2nd semester is restricted in course selection as well... you can only take a 3 credit class-- not a 4 credit elective which sort of limits the available electives.

TurkeyDay

Postby TurkeyDay » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:10 pm

typ3 wrote:
My weekly schedule is: M-W 8:30 AM - 2:00pm straight with classes.

Lies.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:12 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Thanks! The times of the classes are especially helpful to me since I'm judging a commute.

I have noticed that there are a lot of seminar classes with no credits listed. How do those work? I am very interested in some of them.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:17 pm

TurkeyDay wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Lies.

Haha you caught me. Do I need to include the 25 minute / 10 minute breaks?

I never finished this post.. Thursday and Friday I have 1 class that is an hour long 11:30-12:30

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:21 pm

typ3 wrote:
TurkeyDay wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Lies.

I didn't even see you post this.

It seems like you guys aren't actually in class that much. Obviously there's a lot of outside work, but it still doesn't seem like much in class time.

TurkeyDay

Postby TurkeyDay » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Opie wrote:
typ3 wrote:
TurkeyDay wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Lies.

Hahaha, I'd say you should include the 2+ hour break we have on Monday, typ3. :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”