IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Trojan228

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Trojan228 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:57 pm

Just got my LSAT score emailed to me. Does that mean everyone got their scores?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Trojan228 wrote:Just got my LSAT score emailed to me. Does that mean everyone got their scores?

Yep... They come out in waves, but everyone will have theirs by the end of the night?

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Looks like it's probably going to be Iowa for me guys. 164/3.6

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Opie wrote:Looks like it's probably going to be Iowa for me guys. 164/3.6

Apply now.. retake in December / Feb if you want to increase your chances at a scholarship but send your cas before you register so they don't hold your app pending your other score.

Drake will give you a full with those numbers.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:03 am

typ3 wrote:
Opie wrote:Looks like it's probably going to be Iowa for me guys. 164/3.6

Apply now.. retake in December / Feb if you want to increase your chances at a scholarship but send your cas before you register so they don't hold your app pending your other score.

Drake will give you a full with those numbers.

I don't think I have the heart to retake. I've been a basket case lately. Tuition is so cheap at Iowa for in-state, the money isn't that big of a deal. Any thoughts on what I might get with those numbers? Actual GPA may be closer to 3.62.

I don't think I'll go to Drake unless I get better than full(i.e. Opperman Scholar) or Iowa totally screws me.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:09 am

Opie, you're in-state, so its possible you'll get something being over both medians.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:19 am

Get your app in today. They might throw a partial your way to meet the instate quota since it is early in the game. Make sure you tell them you're applying to peer schools out of state otherwise they won't have much of an incentive to throw you money. (Yes admissions can be a poker game when it comes to scholarships at or around median).

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:37 am

I wish I could apply today. I'm still waiting on one transcript and two LORs. I should have done some things earlier, but I was waiting for grades to post and I had a hard time reaching my recommenders. I'll get it in the second all of that is available though. I am planning a visit with my wife on Friday, so maybe that will help, a little face time with admissions. Any recommendations while I'm there?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:04 am

Opie wrote:I wish I could apply today. I'm still waiting on one transcript and two LORs. I should have done some things earlier, but I was waiting for grades to post and I had a hard time reaching my recommenders. I'll get it in the second all of that is available though. I am planning a visit with my wife on Friday, so maybe that will help, a little face time with admissions. Any recommendations while I'm there?

Ehh.. nothing is really going on this week.. so I guess just hangout I guess? Go out for FAC unless you're too old for that.

Trojan228

Postby Trojan228 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:26 am

160 / 3.571

I hope to be a strong consideration for Iowa. I have a strong resume, including international work and studying. Furthermore I have two letters of recommendation, one being from a professor with a JD and many years practicing law. I know some people said these specific facts wouldn't matter, but who is better to judge my candidacy than someone who has practiced law?

Also, I think my personal statement is unique, yet professional. I hope it will entertain to some extent, which will let me stand out. Lastly, I absolutely destroyed the LSAT writing section IMO.

Seeing myself at U Iowa Law this next fall feels wonderful. :lol: I have the application completed and sent in!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:40 am

Trojan228 wrote:160 / 3.571

I hope to be a strong consideration for Iowa. I have a strong resume, including international work and studying. Furthermore I have two letters of recommendation, one being from a professor with a JD and many years practicing law. I know some people said these specific facts wouldn't matter, but who is better to judge my candidacy than someone who has practiced law?

Also, I think my personal statement is unique, yet professional. I hope it will entertain to some extent, which will let me stand out. Lastly, I absolutely destroyed the LSAT writing section IMO.

Seeing myself at U Iowa Law this next fall feels wonderful. :lol: I have the application completed and sent in!

Instate with those numbers is a lock-- especially since you're from IC they know you'll help their yield numbers and will accept an acceptance offer from them.

See you at ASW assuming you are back in town for it.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:47 am

Sorry to break it to you... But admissions (at every law school, for the most part) cares very little about rec's, PS, etc. Beyond that, I'm 99% sure that no one in admissions even reads your LSAT writing section.

However, you're close to both medians, so Iowa residency makes you a likely candidate.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:48 am

chrisbru wrote:

Sorry to break it to you... But admissions (at every law school, for the most part) cares very little about rec's, PS, etc. Beyond that, I'm 99% sure that no one in admissions even reads your LSAT writing section.

However, you're close to both medians, so Iowa residency makes you a likely candidate.

Aye the residency really bumps this up. I've heard as a rule of thumb that you get roughly a 3 point lsat bump to your index for being instate and .1 to your gpa.

Trojan228

Postby Trojan228 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:51 am

Instate with those numbers is a lock-- especially since you're from IC they know you'll help their yield numbers and will accept an acceptance offer from them.

See you at ASW assuming you are back in town for it.

I am in town, and thank you for the reassurance. I hadn't thought about it that way, that Iowa will see me as a sure bet; which is true. If they offer, I will not hesitate to accept. Iowa City is my home. I would love to stay here rather than move again

Trojan228

Postby Trojan228 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:53 am

chrisbru wrote:

I believe that personal statements, LOR's, and essays help the admissions council decide when a candidate is near the averages; of course I could be mistaken.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:55 am

Trojan228 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I believe that personal statements, LOR's, and essays help the admissions council decide when a candidate is near the averages between two identical candidates when they can only accept one of the two.

Fixed.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:03 pm

typ3 wrote:
Opie wrote:I wish I could apply today. I'm still waiting on one transcript and two LORs. I should have done some things earlier, but I was waiting for grades to post and I had a hard time reaching my recommenders. I'll get it in the second all of that is available though. I am planning a visit with my wife on Friday, so maybe that will help, a little face time with admissions. Any recommendations while I'm there?

Ehh.. nothing is really going on this week.. so I guess just hangout I guess? Go out for FAC unless you're too old for that.

I don't know if I'm TOO old for FAC, but my wife doesnt drink. We may still go out with IC friends though. I called for a tour. They haven't called me back yet though.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:32 pm

Opie wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I don't know if I'm TOO old for FAC, but my wife doesnt drink. We may still go out with IC friends though. I called for a tour. They haven't called me back yet though.

I can give you a tour on Friday I had to have someone on TLS give me one last year because I never heard back. Let me know. I have class at 11:30-12:30 but I can do it in the morning / afternoon whenever. I'll be grinding my memo out all day.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Submitted!

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:28 pm

typ3 wrote:
Opie wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I can give you a tour on Friday I had to have someone on TLS give me one last year because I never heard back. Let me know. I have class at 11:30-12:30 but I can do it in the morning / afternoon whenever. I'll be grinding my memo out all day.

Sounds great! They still haven't called me, so it's a good bet they won't. We have to take the kids to school at ninish, then it's off to IC. We'll probably eat then meet up with you. PM me with contact info and I'll hit you up when we get there.

brupe

Postby brupe » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:34 am

It's almost November! Just about time for the committee to dust off their chairs and get back to it!

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:24 am

brupe wrote:It's almost November! Just about time for the committee to dust off their chairs and get back to it!

You're killing me! I'm waiting on LORs!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:03 pm

brupe wrote:It's almost November! Just about time for the committee to dust off their chairs and get back to it!

I send my app in on Nov. 3rd, and got my decision on Dec. 6th.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:10 pm

Use this to predict when you'll hear back.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Anyone have Hovenkamp this Friday at 11:30? I may be sitting in.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”