IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
typ3

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm sad I will be missing all of you at ASW. However, if any of you on the forum get off the wait list and want a tour or have questions or anything else, feel free to direct them to me on TLS or on Facebook.

bigpig

Postby bigpig » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm returning home from ASD, and I was quite impressed with Dean Byrd's candor, and everyone's honesty for that matter, regarding job prospects and scholoarships. Their responses were tactful, yet honest and straight forward, and I don't feel that they tried to sugar-coat the difficult job market, with one exception: they really emphasised their international law program and its applicability to a studen't future job options. But, they're proud of their program, so I get it.

One other thing, I had the opportunity to speak with Dean Byrd on Thursday night, and I asked him who I could speak with regarding scholarship questions. This morning as I was entering the building, he stopped me and said that he looked at my file last night and that I should check my email. They awarded me a merit scholarship. I am humbled by how well I was received, and it made my decision to attend Iowa instead of a peer school. In fact, I was going to drive to Bloomington tonight for their ASD tomorrow; canceled my reservation and heading home, instead!

I haven't been too active on this thread, but I've been reading every Iowa post for the past two years. I applied last year, and I was waitlisted. So, I waited another year instead of attending a local school, and I retook the LSAT for the third time this past December. Now I'm looking at an acceptance and a significant scholarship. Thank you Iowa, and this........REAPPLY-AND-RETAKE.

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:16 pm

bigpig wrote:I they really emphasised their international law program and its applicability to a studen't future job options.

Yeah. Had I not been a TLS'r I would've been drooling during that talk during the panel. Now I'm all "GMAB, International Law. I've heard of this dog and pony show before."

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:55 am

Despite having to miss ASW I must say (and I hope people picked up on it themselves) Iowa's greatest asset is its student body. I guarantee you will not meet anymore down to earth people than at Iowa. People here are talented and driven, but they aren't going to throw you under the bus to get where they're going. There is a lot of compassion an unity among the students, and the unyielding and unsaid belief people take to heart is that we all rise and fall together.

ilovehalusky

Postby ilovehalusky » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:43 am

ASW was great! It was good to meet you all and I look forward to seeing you all in the fall.

P.S. Thanks Tyler for hooking me up!

ashjones

Postby ashjones » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:13 pm

I have been reading this forum for a while, however this is the first time I am posting. I have been anxiously awaiting a decision from Iowa for quite some time, and I finally received one yesterday. Iowa is my top school, but I thought I would be rejected due to my low LSAT. Luckily, I did not get rejected right out, I was placed on the preliminary waitlist. I have been looking back and trying to find an answer to what this means exactly, but I have not been successful. I was wondering if someone could provide me a little insight as to what the prelim waitlist means, and if it is better or worse than the actual waitlist? I've been waitlisted to a number of schools, yet this is the first prelim waitlist I've seen. Please help me out! I'd love to attend Iowa, but I am not sure what my chances are at this point. Thanks! :)

target

Postby target » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:34 pm

EMAW12 wrote:
bigpig wrote:I they really emphasised their international law program and its applicability to a studen't future job options.

Yeah. Had I not been a TLS'r I would've been drooling during that talk during the panel. Now I'm all "GMAB, International Law. I've heard of this dog and pony show before."

Yeah, because a bunch of law students would know better than professors who have extensive background in transnational law. Before making premature judgment, maybe you should spend sometimes looking through bios of some professors.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:36 am

target wrote:
EMAW12 wrote:

Yeah, because a bunch of law students would know better than professors who have extensive background in transnational law. Before making premature judgment, maybe you should spend sometimes looking through bios of some professors.

Before making premature snarky comments, maybe you should spend some time reading the comments :lol:

i.e: "international law program and its applicability to a studen't future job options." Don't see how "looking through bios of professors" would help this issue.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:13 am

target wrote:
EMAW12 wrote:

Actually, "a bunch of law students would know better" than professors about the job market. Professors are remarkably out of touch with the current job market, to the extent that I've heard professors say a lot of downright ignorant things about jobs.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:11 am

Regarding the legal job market in general and this isn't directed at anyone, learn how to network and hustle. I had an offer for summer employment last week that I got just from striking up a conversation with a woman walking her dog in her neighborhood. And after learning her husband was a lawyer I asked for his info and followed through with contacting him and asking him to have coffee with me to just ask advice.

If you really can't find a job go to the court house and start talking to lawyers and networking. Once you get your foot in the door in the profession it's a lot easier to move up. It's the initial first job that is tough to find right now so go make your own.

I can come across as a little harsh, but there are so many people in law school that don't go out or network or have the balls to ask people about work / internships etc. They overwhelmingly rely on posted jobs, oci, etc. I haven't been looking for offers and I've gotten them from people without disclosing grades, work history, etc. People just need to change their approach.

target

Postby target » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:45 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
target wrote:
EMAW12 wrote:

Actually, "a bunch of law students would know better" than professors about the job market. Professors are remarkably out of touch with the current job market, to the extent that I've heard professors say a lot of downright ignorant things about jobs.

I shouldn't argue with new students, since I wanted you to come here next year. But what you just said is not true across the board. I totally agree that some profs here have been out of touch with the current job market. However, some new professors we have recently switched to academic from working at big law firm/fellowship/clerking, etc. That's why I suggest you read profs' bio and make good judgment on who to listen to.

target

Postby target » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:48 pm

typ3 wrote:Regarding the legal job market in general and this isn't directed at anyone, learn how to network and hustle. I had an offer for summer employment last week that I got just from striking up a conversation with a woman walking her dog in her neighborhood. And after learning her husband was a lawyer I asked for his info and followed through with contacting him and asking him to have coffee with me to just ask advice.

If you really can't find a job go to the court house and start talking to lawyers and networking. Once you get your foot in the door in the profession it's a lot easier to move up. It's the initial first job that is tough to find right now so go make your own.

I can come across as a little harsh, but there are so many people in law school that don't go out or network or have the balls to ask people about work / internships etc. They overwhelmingly rely on posted jobs, oci, etc. I haven't been looking for offers and I've gotten them from people without disclosing grades, work history, etc. People just need to change their approach.

Congrats man! You need to share with me where you will be this summer.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Sebastian is a 2L man.

target

Postby target » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:31 pm

opps. did not know that. but I still stand by what I said.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:26 pm

I met a few prospective students, including one who posts here (sorry, I don't know your TLS name). I hope those of you who came to ASW enjoyed yourselves and seriously consider Iowa!

PS, sorry it was so cramped in the student lounge for lunch...we really need to figure out something better

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:52 am

bro, get me of the prelim waitlist, i want in

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Slimpee wrote:I met a few prospective students, including one who posts here (sorry, I don't know your TLS name). I hope those of you who came to ASW enjoyed yourselves and seriously consider Iowa!

PS, sorry it was so cramped in the student lounge for lunch...we really need to figure out something better

Dude, wasn't it beautiful outside that day? They had everyone eat indoors?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Just curious, how many from this thread are for sure attending Iowa next year?

MOJayhawk

Postby MOJayhawk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:06 pm

I have a quick question regarding deposits. I'm almost completely set on Iowa, yet I am depositing two places. I am leaving the country on Friday, and I want to visit the other school before pulling the trigger. I have already paid Iowa's depoit, yet I noticed another tab about accepting/rejecting their admission offer. Do I need to accept the offer (via the form) to secure my spot, or is simply paying the depost sufficient? Or does accepting say to them I am 100% decided? I just don't want to come home from China with no law school to attend :) thanks!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:29 pm

You can deposit at 2 places until June 1st or 15th? At that point LSAC receives notice from law schools of what students will attend where. Thus if two people are deposited at two places the schools will be notified of the dual deposit.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:31 pm

typ3 wrote:Just curious, how many from this thread are for sure attending Iowa next year?

Now that would be telling, wouldn't it? ;)

ilovehalusky

Postby ilovehalusky » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:34 pm

typ3 wrote:Just curious, how many from this thread are for sure attending Iowa next year?

+1

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Withdrew yesterday. I appreciate everyone's help in this thread! Wish I could've ended up here, but Drake just made more sense.

Good luck to everyone!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Good Luck to you! :)

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”