IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:10 pm

The only way the US will start producing less new J.D. grads is if the ABA starts regulating class sizes or kicking out lower tier schools.

Let's just purge the fourth tier and get on with our lives, eh? haha

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:51 pm

chrisbru wrote:The only way the US will start producing less new J.D. grads is if the ABA starts regulating class sizes or kicking out lower tier schools.

Let's just purge the fourth tier and get on with our lives, eh? haha


Is Drake fourth tier (I never know what the common boundaries are)? If not, I'm on board!

User avatar
ilovehalusky
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby ilovehalusky » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:58 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
chrisbru wrote:The only way the US will start producing less new J.D. grads is if the ABA starts regulating class sizes or kicking out lower tier schools.

Let's just purge the fourth tier and get on with our lives, eh? haha


Is Drake fourth tier (I never know what the common boundaries are)? If not, I'm on board!

Drake is one of the best 3rd tier schools. If 4th tier ones were dropped, the world would have to do without Phoenix...eh that's not too bad

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:36 pm

To revisit an earlier discussion.

"Do I need to drink to be successful in law school?"
Answer: Not necessarily.

"Do I need to drink at ASW to be successful?"
Answer: Absolutely.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:48 pm

ilovehalusky wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
chrisbru wrote:The only way the US will start producing less new J.D. grads is if the ABA starts regulating class sizes or kicking out lower tier schools.

Let's just purge the fourth tier and get on with our lives, eh? haha


Is Drake fourth tier (I never know what the common boundaries are)? If not, I'm on board!

Drake is one of the best 3rd tier schools. If 4th tier ones were dropped, the world would have to do without Phoenix...eh that's not too bad

I honestly think that if Drake were bigger it could break into the second tier.

The ABA should, IMHO, impose median floors (nothing crazy, but maybe 50th percentile of all applicants), class and section size limitations, and strict bar passage rate requirements. Also, they should make it harder to open a new school and use saturation of a market to determine if it should be possible at all to open a new school (i.e. Florida).

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Opie wrote:I honestly think that if Drake were bigger it could break into the second tier.

The ABA should, IMHO, impose median floors (nothing crazy, but maybe 50th percentile of all applicants), class and section size limitations, and strict bar passage rate requirements. Also, they should make it harder to open a new school and use saturation of a market to determine if it should be possible at all to open a new school (i.e. Florida).


If the rankings took regional strength into account, I think Drake would be 2nd tier for sure. They are ranked like 106 or something like that this year.

User avatar
ilovehalusky
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby ilovehalusky » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:49 pm

typ3 wrote:To revisit an earlier discussion.

"Do I need to drink to be successful in law school?"
Answer: Not necessarily.

"Do I need to drink at ASW to be successful?"
Answer: Absolutely.

Can the Mormons be exempt from this requirement?

User avatar
Ded Precedent
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Ded Precedent » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:51 pm

ilovehalusky wrote:Can the Mormons be exempt from this requirement?

Absolutely NOT!

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:47 am

typ3 wrote:To revisit an earlier discussion.

"Do I need to drink to be successful in law school?"
Answer: Not necessarily.

"Do I need to drink at ASW to be successful?"
Answer: Absolutely.


Well shit, I'm fucked.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:46 am

Mormons are exempt except they are expected to drink mock tails ( it's what the Mormons in our class do)

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:36 am

typ3 wrote:Mormons are exempt except they are expected to drink mock tails ( it's what the Mormons in our class do)

Are there really that many Mormons at Iowa?

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:45 am

Nope.. only one or two.

DportIA
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby DportIA » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:21 am

I get into Davenport Wednesday, I think I am going to ride my bike to Iowa City for the ASW event at 6. Get those calories burned before having a couple beers with all the fellow Admitted Students. 70 miles of heaven in the Iowa countryside.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:15 am

The law school is having a talent show / palooza this Thursday at Blue Moose, so this creates a few opportunities and a few headaches.

1.) All you guys are welcome to come and it is encouraged.
2.) It will cost you cover to attend.
3.) It will be entertaining and there will be a lot of inebriated law students.
4.) You may feel out of place not knowing some of the jokes and being in a sea of unknown people.

So, I think what would work best would be if we plan a place to meet outside in the pedmall after the reception for a quick TLS meet greet and I will escort you people (along with any other TLS Iowa Law Students who want to be a part of herding cats ;) ) to Blue Moose-- which is just a street off of the pedmall. You can stay in the bar area and drink and cool your heels for an hour or so before hitting a few more places in the pedmall or you can pay the few extra bucks and watch / listen to the palooza / talent show. Blue Moose has a front and back bar areas that are separated. It'll be free to get to the front bar, you'll have to pay to get to the stage area.

I'm sure Chris can assist me in showing you guys a great night on the town.

The event: "LawLawPalooza is Equal Justice Foundation's springitme music festival. EJF raises money at various events throughout the year to provide stippends and scholarships for law students working in non-profit and public interest positions during the summer."

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:27 am

DportIA wrote:I get into Davenport Wednesday, I think I am going to ride my bike to Iowa City for the ASW event at 6. Get those calories burned before having a couple beers with all the fellow Admitted Students. 70 miles of heaven in the Iowa countryside.


Just to clarify, but I might have misread - ASW events are Thursday and Friday, there isn't anything on Wednesday night.



COME TO LAWLAWPALOOZA!!!!

It's a great event raising money for the Equal Justice Foundation. It will be a TON of fun and an amazing opportunity to meet current law students.

Plus, you can make fun of my musical talent - I'm singing/acoustic guitar-ing a 15 minute set.

User avatar
ilovehalusky
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby ilovehalusky » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:30 am

typ3 wrote:Mormons are exempt except they are expected to drink mock tails ( it's what the Mormons in our class do)

Shweet

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:42 am

Is there an unofficial class of 2015 facebook group yet? If not someone should form one now and spread the word at ASW so people can join and plan things over the summer. Chris created ours last year and it was a godsend. No one wants to post in the official group because it is moderated and constantly under the scrutiny of watchful faculty eyes. Someone threw up some troll copy pasta on it and was met by the University Threat Assessment Team after class come Monday morning. Lesson: Post on your own unofficial group.

DportIA
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby DportIA » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:45 am

chrisbru wrote:
DportIA wrote:I get into Davenport Wednesday, I think I am going to ride my bike to Iowa City for the ASW event at 6. Get those calories burned before having a couple beers with all the fellow Admitted Students. 70 miles of heaven in the Iowa countryside.


Just to clarify, but I might have misread - ASW events are Thursday and Friday, there isn't anything on Wednesday night.



COME TO LAWLAWPALOOZA!!!!

It's a great event raising money for the Equal Justice Foundation. It will be a TON of fun and an amazing opportunity to meet current law students.

Plus, you can make fun of my musical talent - I'm singing/acoustic guitar-ing a 15 minute set.



Yes, haha I am aware the events are Thursday-Friday.

Also, Iowa class of 2015 link: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=180300

I am the lonely member.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:47 am

DportIA wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
DportIA wrote:I get into Davenport Wednesday, I think I am going to ride my bike to Iowa City for the ASW event at 6. Get those calories burned before having a couple beers with all the fellow Admitted Students. 70 miles of heaven in the Iowa countryside.


Just to clarify, but I might have misread - ASW events are Thursday and Friday, there isn't anything on Wednesday night.



COME TO LAWLAWPALOOZA!!!!

It's a great event raising money for the Equal Justice Foundation. It will be a TON of fun and an amazing opportunity to meet current law students.

Plus, you can make fun of my musical talent - I'm singing/acoustic guitar-ing a 15 minute set.



Yes, haha I am aware the events are Thursday-Friday.

Also, Iowa class of 2015 link: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=180300

I am the lonely member.


Create a facebook group, a TLS thread won't suffice for people.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:56 am

typ3 wrote:Create a facebook group, a TLS thread won't suffice for people.


This - preferably one people can search for and want to join.

Ours is "University of Iowa College of Law - Class of 2014"

User avatar
ilovehalusky
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby ilovehalusky » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:57 am

typ3 wrote:
DportIA wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
DportIA wrote:I get into Davenport Wednesday, I think I am going to ride my bike to Iowa City for the ASW event at 6. Get those calories burned before having a couple beers with all the fellow Admitted Students. 70 miles of heaven in the Iowa countryside.


Just to clarify, but I might have misread - ASW events are Thursday and Friday, there isn't anything on Wednesday night.



COME TO LAWLAWPALOOZA!!!!

It's a great event raising money for the Equal Justice Foundation. It will be a TON of fun and an amazing opportunity to meet current law students.

Plus, you can make fun of my musical talent - I'm singing/acoustic guitar-ing a 15 minute set.



Yes, haha I am aware the events are Thursday-Friday.

Also, Iowa class of 2015 link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=180300

I am the lonely member.


Create a facebook group, a TLS thread won't suffice for people.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/283182228383685/ this is the unofficial fb group as far as I can tell. The official one is http://www.facebook.com/groups/380104608669330/

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:01 am

ilovehalusky wrote:http://www.facebook.com/groups/283182228383685/ this is the unofficial fb group as far as I can tell. The official one is http://www.facebook.com/groups/380104608669330/


We advertised the unofficial group by asking admissions to provide the link in an admitted students email.

I was also creepy/proactive and invited every non-administrator that joined the "official" group to the unofficial one.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:39 am

Requesting to join so I can spam information about events this year and next.

btw384
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby btw384 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Re: those who have not yet received financial aid info (meaning scholarships)

I came across something that you might be interested in. I was piddling around in ISIS and came across the Financial Aid Application Status section. Mine said nothing for a while, and now it says:
Your completed file was reviewed on February 24, 2012 . You should receive award notification in about three weeks from this date. Awards of students in the Colleges of Law and Medicine take longer.

So while I thought that there was zero movement and no scholarship coming my way for all of this time, it appears that some sort of offer is either in the mail or on its way. Nothing definitive, but I figured it would be worth letting people know so they could check theirs out.

User avatar
YankeeFan2
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby YankeeFan2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:59 pm

btw384 wrote:Re: those who have not yet received financial aid info (meaning scholarships)

I came across something that you might be interested in. I was piddling around in ISIS and came across the Financial Aid Application Status section. Mine said nothing for a while, and now it says:
Your completed file was reviewed on February 24, 2012 . You should receive award notification in about three weeks from this date. Awards of students in the Colleges of Law and Medicine take longer.

So while I thought that there was zero movement and no scholarship coming my way for all of this time, it appears that some sort of offer is either in the mail or on its way. Nothing definitive, but I figured it would be worth letting people know so they could check theirs out.


I called and they told me the date that mine would be posted on ISIS so I could see it and not wait for the mail to come. In case any of you wanted to do the same.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”