IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ded Precedent

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Ded Precedent » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:00 am

somewherewarm wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:
somewherewarm wrote:So who is going to the Admitted Students' Day? I know I am and I'm getting pretty excited. Hopefully we'll be able to meet some of the current students who have been so helpful on this forum like typ3 and chrisbru.

I'll be there but you won't know who I am.

(read that in a really creepy way)

Haha in my head that was a phone call and you were wearing the mask from the movie Scream.

LOL

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:22 pm

AHEM!

Based on your strong record of academic and personal achievements, the Scholarship Committee is offering you a Merit Scholarship, as more fully described below. Over the course of six semesters at the University of Iowa, College of Law, thie Merit Scholarship provides approximately $74,046 in tuition support, provided you satisfy certain conditions. . . If you complete the FAFSA and required documents, we will also consider you for the Ford Federal Direct Loan(s) for fees, books and living expenses.

Amazing!

Complicated though.. I really don't want to leave Des Moines. Even for the heaven that is Iowa City.

Questions:

1. According to the tuition figures on the website, that's about 96.4%. Am I missing something? That's a pretty arbitrary number.

2. Anyone know anything about the Ford loan? I'm so not versed in these things.

3. It also says "consider" for the Ford loan. What happens if I don't get that?

I'm pretty torn right now between Iowa and Drake. I need to be able to contribute at least $12,000 annually to my family's expenses in Des Moines and I have ZERO savings. COA would be less at Iowa, but would I be able to afford an apartment, food, and the occasional trip to Des Moines on the Megabus?

Ugh, this is tough.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:06 pm

It's not just about what you can afford, it's about what you'll have time to do. If you're stuck on a scholarship stipulation, you're not going to be wanting to take a 5-6 hour bus round trip every weekend, considering that you're not going to take that trip just to go there and study. Five hours on a bus plus distractions away from law school each weekend = recipe for disaster. You're not in undergrad any more. :(

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:24 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:It's not just about what you can afford, it's about what you'll have time to do. If you're stuck on a scholarship stipulation, you're not going to be wanting to take a 5-6 hour bus round trip every weekend, considering that you're not going to take that trip just to go there and study. Five hours on a bus plus distractions away from law school each weekend = recipe for disaster. You're not in undergrad any more. :(

Obviously it's not undergrad. I didn't study one time in undergrad. I plan to study on the bus, and I don't plan to come home every weekend.

ETA: just figured out where the number came from. It's full tuition. I was looking at the figure for tuition AND fees.

ETAA: this made me smile, from the Iowa FB group... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsrqWF9_4jk

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:35 pm

Opie wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:It's not just about what you can afford, it's about what you'll have time to do. If you're stuck on a scholarship stipulation, you're not going to be wanting to take a 5-6 hour bus round trip every weekend, considering that you're not going to take that trip just to go there and study. Five hours on a bus plus distractions away from law school each weekend = recipe for disaster. You're not in undergrad any more. :(

Obviously it's not undergrad. I didn't study one time in undergrad. I plan to study on the bus, and I don't plan to come home every weekend.

ETA: just figured out where the number came from. It's full tuition. I was looking at the figure for tuition AND fees.

ETAA: this made me smile, from the Iowa FB group... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsrqWF9_4jk

Personally, I wouldn't voluntarily go two weeks or more without seeing my family. I spend a decent amount of time with my family every day, and to me that is bigger than law school. But priorities vary by person, I suppose.

Studying on a bus is somewhat productive, but it's not ideal.

"Obviously it's not undergrad" is a cute thing to say in acknowledgment, but you're probably brushing off the difference too readily.

Good luck.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:41 pm

Opie wrote: I need to be able to contribute at least $12,000 annually to my family's expenses in Des Moines and I have ZERO savings. COA would be less at Iowa, but would I be able to afford an apartment, food, and the occasional trip to Des Moines on the Megabus?

Ugh, this is tough.

Congratulations but if you have zero savings and zero income how are you planning on sending 12k home a year?

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:
Opie wrote: I need to be able to contribute at least $12,000 annually to my family's expenses in Des Moines and I have ZERO savings. COA would be less at Iowa, but would I be able to afford an apartment, food, and the occasional trip to Des Moines on the Megabus?

Ugh, this is tough.

Congratulations but if you have zero savings and zero income how are you planning on sending 12k home a year?

That's a good question. Hopefully I'll be working during the summer, but beyond that it would all come from financial aid.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Opie wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:

Ugh, this is tough.

That's a good question. Hopefully I'll be working during the summer, but beyond that it would all come from financial aid.

I'd say call the financial aid office at Iowa and see if they can help explain your options before you make a final decision.

Just curious, if you decided to go to Drake and stay in Des Moines would that 12k come any easier? (sorry if you already explained this I'm just kind of jumping in).

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:
Opie wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:

Ugh, this is tough.

I'd say call the financial aid office at Iowa and see if they can help explain your options before you make a final decision.

Just curious, if you decided to go to Drake and stay in Des Moines would that 12k come any easier? (sorry if you already explained this I'm just kind of jumping in).

No, but I wouldn't be paying for an apartment as well.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:21 am

Opie wrote:No, but I wouldn't be paying for an apartment as well.

I think the grad employment options as well as the long term earning potential of a Iowa JD would make it worth it to attend over Drake if you can make it work. Again, I'd contact the U of I financial aid office and see if they can help to explain your options to get some extra income back to Des Moines to help out your family before you decide to sign on the dotted line.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:41 am

The big deciding factor for me would be the employment numbers for drake vs iowa at graduation for last year's class...

Iowa 70% employed at graduation.. Drake 44 & change. Someone can get the exact percentage figures, but Iowa is safer for making sure you can do something with your JD once you receive it.

I don't know what your current position is Opie but it wouldn't be a terrible decision to keep doing what you're doing assuming you're making a decent amount. Or you could find another job that pays more + benefits. Just don't limit your decision to law school unless it's really what you want to do and you're going into it for the right reasons.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:43 am

sebastian0622 wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't voluntarily go two weeks or more without seeing my family. I spend a decent amount of time with my family every day, and to me that is bigger than law school. But priorities vary by person, I suppose.

"Obviously it's not undergrad" is a cute thing to say in acknowledgment, but you're probably brushing off the difference too readily.

Good luck.

I'm sure Opie is the only one that can judge how often he wants/needs to see his family.

Studying on a bus is fine, especially the Megabus. It's not hard to read on a bus, and it has wifi. And, honestly, how much are you realistically studying a week? There's not reason people can't front load studying in the week so that they can take the weekend off if there isn't a memo/brief due and it isn't the last 4-6 weeks before finals.

If Drake makes more financial and family sense, then definitely go there. But don't let the time commitment of law school scare you off - It doesn't consume your life. I know people that commute an hour a day to school, people that go to DSM every weekend on the Megabus, and people that drink from FAC til 2am Sunday then get up at noon and maybe do some stuff Sunday afternoon. I also know people that study/work on LAWR stuff until 10 or 11pm every night, get up at 7am to head to school to read before class, and study a decent amount on the weekend. It depends on how efficient you are, how quickly you can read while understanding what you read, and how easily distracted you are.

TL;DR - Everyone's situation is different, and only you can really analyze yours. Don't let one opinion on EITHER side of the spectrum decide for you.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:55 am

chrisbru wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:

Good luck.

I'm sure Opie is the only one that can judge how often he wants/needs to see his family.

Studying on a bus is fine, especially the Megabus. It's not hard to read on a bus, and it has wifi. And, honestly, how much are you realistically studying a week? There's not reason people can't front load studying in the week so that they can take the weekend off if there isn't a memo/brief due and it isn't the last 4-6 weeks before finals.

If Drake makes more financial and family sense, then definitely go there. But don't let the time commitment of law school scare you off - It doesn't consume your life. I know people that commute an hour a day to school, people that go to DSM every weekend on the Megabus, and people that drink from FAC til 2am Sunday then get up at noon and maybe do some stuff Sunday afternoon. I also know people that study/work on LAWR stuff until 10 or 11pm every night, get up at 7am to head to school to read before class, and study a decent amount on the weekend. It depends on how efficient you are, how quickly you can read while understanding what you read, and how easily distracted you are.

TL;DR - Everyone's situation is different, and only you can really analyze yours. Don't let one opinion on EITHER side of the spectrum decide for you.

I agree with all this, even if I come down on the other side of the fence. People have different schedules, study habits, etc. I guess what I'm saying is that law school sucks enough as is, so I wouldn't personally make it harder for myself going in if I could at all avoid it. Jumping into law school knowing you have to pay two rents, won't see your family 75%+ of the days of your life for three years, are taking a lot of loans to cover travel and living expenses even with a scholarship, etc. is a recipe for stress, IMO. That's not to say it can't be done, but if there is another good option on the table, you'd have to REALLY value that Iowa JD over the Drake JD to put yourself through that. And Iowa is a good school, but it's not Yale. In other words, I'd question whether that level of sacrifice is worth it. That's obviously a personal decision, but it should be an informed one.

RE: earlier posts about Drake vs. Iowa - Iowa certainly places better than Drake in the big markets and has a better national reputation. On the other hand, if Opie is set on staying in Des Moines (I'm not sure if he is or not), then Drake is basically a peer school with Iowa in that one market, plus Drake does well around Iowa in general. But yeah, to have any realistic chance at placing at a big firm in Chicago or Minneapolis or something with a Drake JD, you'd definitely want to be top 5-10% of your class (versus "just" top third or so at Iowa).

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:44 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:

Good luck.

I agree with all this, even if I come down on the other side of the fence. People have different schedules, study habits, etc. I guess what I'm saying is that law school sucks enough as is, so I wouldn't personally make it harder for myself going in if I could at all avoid it. Jumping into law school knowing you have to pay two rents, won't see your family 75%+ of the days of your life for three years, are taking a lot of loans to cover travel and living expenses even with a scholarship, etc. is a recipe for stress, IMO. That's not to say it can't be done, but if there is another good option on the table, you'd have to REALLY value that Iowa JD over the Drake JD to put yourself through that. And Iowa is a good school, but it's not Yale. In other words, I'd question whether that level of sacrifice is worth it. That's obviously a personal decision, but it should be an informed one.

RE: earlier posts about Drake vs. Iowa - Iowa certainly places better than Drake in the big markets and has a better national reputation. On the other hand, if Opie is set on staying in Des Moines (I'm not sure if he is or not), then Drake is basically a peer school with Iowa in that one market, plus Drake does well around Iowa in general. But yeah, to have any realistic chance at placing at a big firm in Chicago or Minneapolis or something with a Drake JD, you'd definitely want to be top 5-10% of your class (versus "just" top third or so at Iowa).

Agreed with all of the above. And to add, Opie does want Des Moines which is why this is such an interesting dilemma.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:10 pm

A different subject, but is anyone else attending ASW next week?

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:55 pm

DportIA wrote:A different subject, but is anyone else attending ASW next week?

I am.

somewherewarm

Postby somewherewarm » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:15 pm

DportIA wrote:A different subject, but is anyone else attending ASW next week?

I am attending the ASW. We need some kind of a system to recognize each other like a bandana or a fake scar or maybe something a little more normal.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Well... my avatar here is a photo of myself, so feel free to say "Hello" haha.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Put your TLS name on your name tags haha.

I will be at the reception at hotelVETRO on Thursday night mingling. I'm pretty sure I'll be leading tours on Friday after lunch as well.

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:50 pm

I'll be the one with the busted wrist.

somewherewarm

Postby somewherewarm » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:09 pm

For all of those out there who have lived in Iowa for a bit, what is your opinion of the state? I've read a lot of opinions about the law school but I'm having trouble finding people's view of the state as a whole.

burndtscorcho

Postby burndtscorcho » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:12 pm

See you all at ASW!

ilovehalusky

Postby ilovehalusky » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:15 pm

I will be there for sure, just look for the short blonde guy. Another question, anyone else get a thing in the mail about these law preview summer courses? They cost a crap ton of money. Anyone know if they are even worth it or remotely helpful?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 pm

somewherewarm wrote:For all of those out there who have lived in Iowa for a bit, what is your opinion of the state? I've read a lot of opinions about the law school but I'm having trouble finding people's view of the state as a whole.

I FREAKING LOVE IOWA SO MUCH. I moved away after UG for a job (to Seattle) and missed Iowa like crazy.

Disclaimer: I am not in the majority with my opinion, but I'll tell you why I love it:

*The people are just amazing. Super nice and friendly, always have your back.
*Cost of living is low, and so are taxes, but it's still pretty stable without too much problems.
*It's close to a lot of biggish cities - Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City, Omaha. So there is a lot of room to travel when you want to get out.
*The weather is pretty decent. Some cold cold weeks, some super humid weeks, but overall it's pretty good.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:42 pm

chrisbru wrote:
somewherewarm wrote:For all of those out there who have lived in Iowa for a bit, what is your opinion of the state? I've read a lot of opinions about the law school but I'm having trouble finding people's view of the state as a whole.

I FREAKING LOVE IOWA SO MUCH. I moved away after UG for a job (to Seattle) and missed Iowa like crazy.

Disclaimer: I am not in the majority with my opinion, but I'll tell you why I love it:

*The people are just amazing. Super nice and friendly, always have your back.
*Cost of living is low, and so are taxes, but it's still pretty stable without too much problems.
*It's close to a lot of biggish cities - Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City, Omaha. So there is a lot of room to travel when you want to get out.
*The weather is pretty decent. Some cold cold weeks, some super humid weeks, but overall it's pretty good.

Agree 100% with everything but the weather. We can have some fucked up weather. As a whole, however, Iowa rules. It's not all rural farmland like everyone thinks. It is a beautiful state with great people and lots of activity. As I like to put it, it is a state where I would want to raise a family.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”