IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shredderrrrrr

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:56 pm

btw384 wrote:So today, I decided to email and ask about scholarship information, since I have gotten info for all of my top choices except Iowa. I sent in a nice letter explaining my interest in the school and asking about the availability of merit-based aid. They responded by saying that if I am awarded a scholarship, I will be contacted sometime towards the end of March. Most of my deposit deadlines are April 1-15, and I would like to have some time for negotiations.

I know a lot of other people haven't gotten offers either, so I more or less hoped to show my interest and see if I could get a timeline out of them. Its just stressful when you are ready to start negotiations and you've got that one straggler school who won't let you know one way or the other. It is unfortunate that I might have to throw a school out of contention if I haven't received an offer by April, as I certainly can't attend at sticker.

/rant :(

I don't blame you! I withdrew from a school simply because they said their scholarship committee didn't start meeting until Feb. Hell, I'm going crazy not hearing a response from Iowa about stipulations! If I don't hear back soon, I'm just going to end up withdrawing.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:16 pm

W/L via status checker. 155ish/3.7ish non-URM with strong PI work experience and community involvement.

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:01 pm

btw384 wrote:So today, I decided to email and ask about scholarship information, since I have gotten info for all of my top choices except Iowa. I sent in a nice letter explaining my interest in the school and asking about the availability of merit-based aid. They responded by saying that if I am awarded a scholarship, I will be contacted sometime towards the end of March. Most of my deposit deadlines are April 1-15, and I would like to have some time for negotiations.

I know a lot of other people haven't gotten offers either, so I more or less hoped to show my interest and see if I could get a timeline out of them. Its just stressful when you are ready to start negotiations and you've got that one straggler school who won't let you know one way or the other. It is unfortunate that I might have to throw a school out of contention if I haven't received an offer by April, as I certainly can't attend at sticker.

Will e-mailing Iowa about this help with a scholarship decision or is it completely not a factor at all? I'm on the fence about stressing my interest in them and mentioning that I'm hopeful for a scholarship decision.

jpickman

Postby jpickman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Accepted on 12/1 and still haven't heard anything about scholarships. I called the admissions office and they said I could be waiting until late April to get an offer. I'll be withdrawing tomorrow. No shot they're going to beat UIUC at half tuition.

checkster

Postby checkster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:24 pm

I've been complete for almost 2 months and haven't heard a word... : /

btw384

Postby btw384 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:51 pm

llachans wrote:

Will e-mailing Iowa about this help with a scholarship decision or is it completely not a factor at all? I'm on the fence about stressing my interest in them and mentioning that I'm hopeful for a scholarship decision.

Generally, I think think being forward, expressing your interest in the school, and asking about the possibility of scholarship funds is a good idea. If done correctly, it can only help move things along.

That being said, I politely asked for information about potential scholarship money, and they essentially made it sound like they would make a scholarship decision whenever they felt like making one. In a week or so, I'm going to send a second, more pressing email explaining that I don't have a month (or more) to wait and that I am looking to make a decision ASAP. If I get more of the same in their second response, I might just withdraw or pretend that I don't have an acceptance from them and hope to be totally wowed if/when I get an offer.

I let them know that I have a genuine interest in the school, and I really do. I have been considering it in my top two or three choices up to this point, but this and other communication I have had with the school throughout the admissions process has been largely negative/not useful. Hopefully a more pressing email will make more of an impact with the admissions office, but I am finding it tough to be forward without sounding pushy.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:06 pm

Still no response back from them. Good chance I'll be withdrawing this week.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:05 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Still no response back from them. Good chance I'll be withdrawing this week.

Maybe they're begging the regents to let them remove your stips. ;)

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:36 am

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Still no response back from them. Good chance I'll be withdrawing this week.

Haha one can only hope. Lol even if they were contemplating it, I'm getting annoyed by the lack of contact. I mean after two weeks you'd think they could at least give a heads up letting me know whether they would even consider it or not. I feel bad because Drake has been on the ball with everything (I think the longest they've taken to respond to an email was 30 minutes) and I want to let them know whether I'll be attending or not. More importantly, if they come back unable to remove the stipulations, I want to free up scholarship money for all the TLSers! Lord knows I'm going nuts waiting for this...I couldn't handle waiting for scholarship information.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:02 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:

Haha one can only hope. Lol even if they were contemplating it, I'm getting annoyed by the lack of contact. I mean after two weeks you'd think they could at least give a heads up letting me know whether they would even consider it or not. I feel bad because Drake has been on the ball with everything (I think the longest they've taken to respond to an email was 30 minutes) and I want to let them know whether I'll be attending or not. More importantly, if they come back unable to remove the stipulations, I want to free up scholarship money for all the TLSers! Lord knows I'm going nuts waiting for this...I couldn't handle waiting for scholarship information.

It all depends on the situation... I didn't hear back about admissions from Drake until 2 weeks before I received my scholarship from Iowa, which came 3 months after my acceptance. Drake's review of my scholarship (I asked for more money) didn't come back for 2 full weeks, and even then they didn't match what Iowa gave me.

So I wouldn't blame it on Iowa... It's just that removing stipulations really isn't something they need to do often, if ever. I hate to break it to you, but you aren't that much of a special flower. You're not going to make or break the class of 2015.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:20 am

chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:

It all depends on the situation... I didn't hear back about admissions from Drake until 2 weeks before I received my scholarship from Iowa, which came 3 months after my acceptance. Drake's review of my scholarship (I asked for more money) didn't come back for 2 full weeks, and even then they didn't match what Iowa gave me.

So I wouldn't blame it on Iowa... It's just that removing stipulations really isn't something they need to do often, if ever. I hate to break it to you, but you aren't that much of a special flower. You're not going to make or break the class of 2015.

Lol because that's what I was thinking :roll:

But your bolded comment gets at my point. Since I'm not unique and I'm not a "special flower," why wouldn't the choice to remove the stipulations or not be easy/routine?

I'm not asking Iowa to bow down at my feet, I'm just making a comment in regards to my interactions with them. I obviously realize hearing nothing from them for almost 2 weeks is not the end of the world.

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:38 am

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:37 am

apeopleshistory wrote:

I also haven't heard anything.

No scholly info for me either. I'm expecting it to go until just before deposits are due and then maybe I'll get something.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Opie wrote:
apeopleshistory wrote:

No scholly info for me either. I'm expecting it to go until just before deposits are due and then maybe I'll get something.

When are deposits due? Is it early April?

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:54 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
apeopleshistory wrote:

When are deposits due? Is it early April?

4/1 $250
6/1 $150

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:

But your bolded comment gets at my point. Since I'm not unique and I'm not a "special flower," why wouldn't the choice to remove the stipulations or not be easy/routine?

I'm not asking Iowa to bow down at my feet, I'm just making a comment in regards to my interactions with them. I obviously realize hearing nothing from them for almost 2 weeks is not the end of the world.

It's not easy or routine because people probably don't ask that often. You have a full month before deposits are due anywhere. Relax.

Although based on my experience with firms for 1L summer work... You really probably are better off at Drake if you're set on Des Moines.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:51 pm

chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

It's not easy or routine because people probably don't ask that often. You have a full month before deposits are due anywhere. Relax.

Although based on my experience with firms for 1L summer work... You really probably are better off at Drake if you're set on Des Moines.

That's what I'm thinking as well. But like everyone has said, guaranteed money > money with stipulations (if Iowa were to remove stipulations).

Is it dumb to think I have a better chance of being top third at Drake then at Iowa? I know you guys have pointed out that it's a lot about luck, but with Iowa having higher caliber students (based on admission criteria), would Drake be safer in any way?

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:10 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

That's what I'm thinking as well. But like everyone has said, guaranteed money > money with stipulations (if Iowa were to remove stipulations).

Is it dumb to think I have a better chance of being top third at Drake then at Iowa? I know you guys have pointed out that it's a lot about luck, but with Iowa having higher caliber students (based on admission criteria), would Drake be safer in any way?

FWIW, students I have spoken to say the curve isn't that steep at Drake. A 160/3.44 (4.0) friend of mine told me she was in the top third after 1L and finished top 20% without much trouble. She's probably the most dedicated and hardworking person I know though. She was also in like 7 different clubs, a journal, etc. too though, so YMMV. :mrgreen:

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:16 pm

I emailed them yesterday about removing the stipulations and they responded this morning with a pretty generic email about how they are unwilling to do so. Looks like I'll have to cross Iowa off my list

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:29 pm

buckythebadger wrote:I emailed them yesterday about removing the stipulations and they responded this morning with a pretty generic email about how they are unwilling to do so. Looks like I'll have to cross Iowa off my list

Really? Who exactly did you email it to?

nickjive

Postby nickjive » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:34 pm

If I were fortunate enough to have a scholarship I would use the stips to further my motivation to perform AT LEAST in the top 1/3 so I could come out of law school with a job....

...see that, adcomms, I would be grateful if I were to receive some money...

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:42 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
buckythebadger wrote:I emailed them yesterday about removing the stipulations and they responded this morning with a pretty generic email about how they are unwilling to do so. Looks like I'll have to cross Iowa off my list

Really? Who exactly did you email it to?

I emailed law-financialaid@uiowa.edu and then Dean Byrd responded this morning. At a different ASW someone told me that they asked for the stipulations to be removed and the emails sounded very similar. My guess is that they already have it written up and just copy and pasted it. If you haven't heard back in awhile, maybe that is a good thing? or they possibly just forgot to respond to the email.

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:48 pm

So what do y'all think about this. I got an email the other day from a law professor from another law school (not Iowa) but they went to Iowa for their JD. The email shared that they would be happy to discuss with me their experience at Iowa and hoped that I would also choose Iowa. Now....what was a bit odd was that the person had a very similar background as a non-traditional student in the same field of work as me and even mentioned moving their children to Iowa City. They also shared that they moved to Iowa City with their spouse and children and the number of children and gender of their children are the same as mine. Now, that seems to really be stretching into their alumni network.

bigpig

Postby bigpig » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:So what do y'all think about this. I got an email the other day from a law professor from another law school (not Iowa) but they went to Iowa for their JD. The email shared that they would be happy to discuss with me their experience at Iowa and hoped that I would also choose Iowa. Now....what was a bit odd was that the person had a very similar background as a non-traditional student in the same field of work as me and even mentioned moving their children to Iowa City. They also shared that they moved to Iowa City with their spouse and children and the number of children and gender of their children are the same as mine. Now, that seems to really be stretching into their alumni network.

I received an almost identical email, except gender was not mentioned. Syracuse? Iowa's weekly emails have been doing nothing more than reiterating their website and focusing on quality of life, so I delete them. This email, however, caught my interest. The only email/mailing I really want, though, is regarding scholarships... I'm getting nervous about possibly having to rely on an RA position to keep costs down as an OOS.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:15 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:So what do y'all think about this. I got an email the other day from a law professor from another law school (not Iowa) but they went to Iowa for their JD. The email shared that they would be happy to discuss with me their experience at Iowa and hoped that I would also choose Iowa. Now....what was a bit odd was that the person had a very similar background as a non-traditional student in the same field of work as me and even mentioned moving their children to Iowa City. They also shared that they moved to Iowa City with their spouse and children and the number of children and gender of their children are the same as mine. Now, that seems to really be stretching into their alumni network.

Why didn't I get this? I'm a non-trad with kids. :x

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”